3 baht for a pee in Galare market!

Chiengmaijoe

Has anyone else noticed that Galare bazaar in the night bazaar has started charging 3 baht to get through full body turnstiles in order to find relief? I reckon the turnstiles , one at each end, cost close to 10,000 baht and then there is the wages of the lady collecting the money. It just doesn't add up.

I thought the days of paying to use a toilet and paying for 6 inches of tissue were a thing of the past, but apparently the owners of Galare (and Anusarn, I'm told) have decided to go back to the past. When most malls and shopping complexes have updated their facilities and made them clean and fresh as well as free, including the tissue, I'm amused to see that someone has decided to buck the trend.

To most normal guys (which discounts almost everyone here) the 3 baht is merely an inconvenience because we don't carry small change with us and the lady collector is unlikely to be able to give change from 500 baht. To the guys that carry a purse with them at all times it won't be an inconvenience but the matter of Principles will come into play. So either way, how does the owner (one of Thailand's wealthiest men, or so they say) actually benefit?

I only ever go to Galare bazaar to visit Boys Blues and so far I haven't been 'caught short' but I did meet a guy that said things like this are the reason he sometimes doesn't go out. An expat, of course.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the "heads up"

No different to the bus stations etc

Agree economically it makes no sense at all but why the long thread in order to start a conversation on pissing.

Your obviously getting in some practice at holding it to save on 3bt

• Like 1

I'm expecting to see some of the customers at Boy's peeing into a bottle to save the money.

I was caught short in the night bazaar a few years ago and dived into D2 hotel and was amazed to find that the closets in the lobby toilet were mirror inside , on all sides. Whose idea was that, I wonder? Who thought that the customers might want to look at themselves while they are on the throne? Weird.

Thanks for the "heads up"

No different to the bus stations etc

Agree economically it makes no sense at all but why the long thread in order to start a conversation on pissing.

Your obviously getting in some practice at holding it to save on 3bt

I see your point about my verbosity. Four short paragraphs is the equivalent of War and Peace on a forum.

I didn't notice if the turnstile had a counter on it, but if it does, that would make the old dodge of waving a 1000 baht note at the cashier a non-starter. Maybe I'll have to adopt the young Thai lads' habit of keeping 1 baht coins in the ears. I know you guys have them, but I can't see myself carrying a purse, I don't even carry a wallet.

WOW ... 3 Baht

I'm lost for words ... w00t.gif

The OP and I live in different worlds.

It's already been pointed out that this is an unusually long topic, but take your time and try reading it all. When you've done that, get back to me (tomorrow is fine , no need to rush) and let me know how you came to the conclusion that I thought it was expensive, which is what you imply. If you can, try expressing yourself without the use of little smileys, as adorable as you may find them.

• Like 2

WOW ... 3 Baht

It's already been pointed out that this is an unusually long topic, but take your time and try reading it all. When you've done that, get back to me (tomorrow is fine , no need to rush) and let me know how you came to the conclusion that I thought it was expensive, which is what you imply. If you can, try expressing yourself without the use of little smileys, as adorable as you may find them.

Sarcasm is not your strong point.

Focus on your strengths, work on your weaknesses.

• Like 2

I'm expecting to see some of the customers at Boy's peeing into a bottle to save the money.

I was caught short in the night bazaar a few years ago and dived into D2 hotel and was amazed to find that the closets in the lobby toilet were mirror inside , on all sides. Whose idea was that, I wonder? Who thought that the customers might want to look at themselves while they are on the throne? Weird.

Your really getting into this toilet thing I see.

keep us posted on any changes.tongue.png

David48, on 12 Jul 2014 - 14:43, said:

WOW ... 3 Baht

You're right. The OP lives in a city and you don't. Taking a leak against an old tree is not an option for him. tongue.png

If I am out and about in town and suddenly get the call of nature, I just walk into any of the nice tourist hotels that always have very posh VIP status toilets in their reception areas.

Being a farangy I have never been challenged. I just blend in with all the other farangs walking in and out, they have no idea whether I am a guest or not, no one gives me a second glance and no one ever asks.

Sometimes being a pale face in Thailand can have it`s advantages.

• Like 1

If I am out and about in town and suddenly get the call of nature, I just walk into any of the nice tourist hotels that always have very posh VIP status toilets in their reception areas.

Being a farangy I have never been challenged. I just blend in with all the other farangs walking in and out, they have no idea whether I am a guest or not, no one gives me a second glance and no one ever asks.

Sometimes being a pale face in Thailand can have it`s advantages.

Nothing beats a five star pee for free.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

3 Baht to take a pee in what I assume is a reasonably clean facility, where do your priorities lie?. Tissue??? I'm Aussie and find the spray "dush" the greatest invention after taking a crap. The 'dunny roll' is now only used as a general household wipe.

Edited by bdenner
  • Like 1

Good thing you are not trying to go to a London underground station toilet, that they charge 20pence to go in........

Yes, the ones at Paddington have turnstiles which is great if you've just got off the Heathrow Express and have luggage with you.

Really thought it through they have.

• Like 1

3 Baht to take a pee in what I assume is a reasonably clean facility, where do your priorities lie?. Tissue??? I'm Aussie and find the spray "dush" the greatest invention after taking a crap. The 'dunny roll' is now only used as a general household wipe.

As another Aussie I'm with you there.

Was lost this year when we spent 60 days driving around the country.

Thank heavens for flushable moist tissues on sale just about everywhere these days.

As this is the Chiand Mai forum, I suppose I can't mention Bangkok?

I was in chiang Mai last week honest.

Well a flower market in Bangkok also charges 3 bt, no turnstiles though!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand