Americans and Visa Runs

Has anyone heard rumor that Americans won't be effected by the new visa run rules? Several of us have still been doing visa run frequently and asking about it on arrival and every time the immigration officer points at our passport and simply says "For Americans no problem for 30 day on arrival"? Considering the relationship between US and Thailand its seems possible that they may keep this policy but of course it would never be announced.

US citizens get 30 day entries at border crossing along with others from the G7 countries.

That is only special thing I know of.

I would not count on staying here on visa exempt entries. You should get a tourist visa.

• Like 2

Not true. I have a US Passport and was told I must get proof of income/residence the next time in (which I do have). I am now on a tourist visa, but had several back to back 30 day on arrival. They wrote the requirement on my visa. I have had only one tourist visa since arrival from the USA this year....but 4 back to backs.

I am now fixing the problem with a 90 day O and a retirement extension.

Seems everyone..including Americans (of course) will be screened.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Not true. I have a US Passport and was told I must get proof of income/residence the next time in (which I do have). I am now on a tourist visa, but had several back to back 30 day on arrival. They wrote the requirement on my visa. I have had only one tourist visa since arrival from the USA this year....but 4 back to backs.

I am now fixing the problem with a 90 day O and a retirement extension.

Seems everyone..including Americans (of course) will be screened.

That is very interesting. I specifically asked about back to back 30 days on arrival the ( exit) immigration at the airport about 3 weeks ago. The senior officer there went through my passport ( literally dozens of 30 days on arrival) and said " no problem, this will be ok still". Now I wonder if he is right. I never use land borders are rarely stay more than 10 or 14 days...but that is every month. Now I'm worried about being refused entry so I guess it's best to get a tourist visa ( a major pain).

If you stay for about 2 weeks and then leave for abut two weeks on a regular base, you don't seem to be working in Thailand and should indeed be all right. The crackdown is on people living in Thailand continuously on visa exempt enties (and suspected of working). You do not fit that profile.

• Like 2

If you stay for about 2 weeks and then leave for abut two weeks on a regular base, you don't seem to be working in Thailand and should indeed be all right. The crackdown is on people living in Thailand continuously on visa exempt enties (and suspected of working). You do not fit that profile.

What if someone comes in and out every 4 weeks? Do they fall into the same category as 2 weeks in and out?

USA Citizens be smart,

If staying in Thailand less than 30 days use the legal 30 day entry stamp option.

No need for the time or money wasted getting an un-needed 60 day tourist visa.

Until the law changes and they stop 30 day entry stamps there will be no problems for Americians.

I have questioned Thai immigration officials on this and was informed the same exactly as the OP

has mentioned USA citizens 30 day stamp no problem or change.

Of course if staying over 30 days on holiday or living in Thailand the proper visa should be endorsed.

OP this is the infoe for US citizens its from the us embassy, just recently posted pertaining to 30 day exempt and tourist visa's.Draw your on conclusions or call as to aditional requierments until the new directive starts to be implimented the week starting 8-12-14. I wonder why immigration chose this date?

Visa Exempt Entry

U.S. citizens carrying a tourist passport and in possession of an onward or return airline ticket do not require a visa to enter Thailand. The passport must have at least six months validity remaining to be allowed entry. Upon entry, Thai immigration officials will place an immigration stamp in the passport permitting a 30-day stay in Thailand if arriving by air or a 15-day stay if arriving by land. This time limit may subsequently be extended for an additional 7 days by paying a 1,900 baht fee to the Thai Immigration Bureau office. The headquarters of the Thai Immigration Bureau is located at Government Center Chaengwattana Building B, No. 120, Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Tungsonghong Sub-District, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210, 66-2-287-3101 through 66-2-287-3110. For more information or additional Thai Immigration Bureau locations, please consult the Thai Immigration Bureau website.

Tourist Visa

"If an individual wishes to remain in Thailand for more than 30 days, he/she may wish to obtain a tourist visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in the United States, prior to arriving in Thailand. The tourist visa must be used within 90 days from the date of issue and allows an initial stay of 60 days. After arrival in Thailand, a tourist visa may be extended twice, each time for an additional 30 days. There is a 1,900 Baht fee for each extension. Interested Americans should contact the Thai Immigration Bureau located at Government Center Chaengwattana Building B, No. 120, Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Tungsonghong Sub-District, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210, 66-2-287-3101 through 66-2-287-3110. For more information or additional Thai Immigration Bureau locations, please consult the Thai Immigration Bureau website.

American citizens who wish to remain in Thailand for longer than 90 days during any six-month period will be required to obtain a valid Thai visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate that is authorized to issue visas. The U.S. Embassy advises all American citizens who wish to obtain a Thai visa to contact the Thai Immigration Bureau for exact visa requirements and regulations. Persons who do not comply with visa regulations risk being denied entry to Thailand at the border."

OP this is the infoe for US citizens its from the us embassy, just recently posted pertaining to 30 day exempt and tourist visa's.Draw your on conclusions or call as to aditional requierments until the new directive starts to be implimented the week starting 8-12-14. I wonder why immigration chose this date?

Visa Exempt Entry

U.S. citizens carrying a tourist passport and in possession of an onward or return airline ticket do not require a visa to enter Thailand. The passport must have at least six months validity remaining to be allowed entry. Upon entry, Thai immigration officials will place an immigration stamp in the passport permitting a 30-day stay in Thailand if arriving by air or a 15-day stay if arriving by land. This time limit may subsequently be extended for an additional 7 days by paying a 1,900 baht fee to the Thai Immigration Bureau office. The headquarters of the Thai Immigration Bureau is located at Government Center Chaengwattana Building B, No. 120, Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Tungsonghong Sub-District, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210, 66-2-287-3101 through 66-2-287-3110. For more information or additional Thai Immigration Bureau locations, please consult the Thai Immigration Bureau website.

Tourist Visa

"If an individual wishes to remain in Thailand for more than 30 days, he/she may wish to obtain a tourist visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in the United States, prior to arriving in Thailand. The tourist visa must be used within 90 days from the date of issue and allows an initial stay of 60 days. After arrival in Thailand, a tourist visa may be extended twice, each time for an additional 30 days. There is a 1,900 Baht fee for each extension. Interested Americans should contact the Thai Immigration Bureau located at Government Center Chaengwattana Building B, No. 120, Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Tungsonghong Sub-District, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210, 66-2-287-3101 through 66-2-287-3110. For more information or additional Thai Immigration Bureau locations, please consult the Thai Immigration Bureau website.

American citizens who wish to remain in Thailand for longer than 90 days during any six-month period will be required to obtain a valid Thai visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate that is authorized to issue visas. The U.S. Embassy advises all American citizens who wish to obtain a Thai visa to contact the Thai Immigration Bureau for exact visa requirements and regulations. Persons who do not comply with visa regulations risk being denied entry to Thailand at the border."

What is a "tourist passport"?

Visa Exempt Entry

Tourist Visa

What is a "tourist passport"?

It's the blue one. The US has different colors for regular (Tourist) passports, official passports, and diplomatic passports.

• Like 1

Visa Exempt Entry

Tourist Visa

U.S. citizens carrying a tourist passport and in possession of an onward or return airline ticket do not require a visa to enter Thailand. Correct

Same as it has always been.

According to the Thai immigration official I spoke with this will continue to be the normal ops for USA citizens entering Thailand in the future as well.

Edited by glassdude007

From ACSBKK. Read and heed.

Thai Immigration’s Enforcement of Thai Visa Exemption Policy July 7, 2014

U.S. citizens are reminded that Thailand immigration laws require visitors to remain in the proper visa status. U.S. citizen tourists traveling to Thailand are eligible to enter Thailand without a visa and stay for 30 days under the Thai visa exemption policy if they are able to show an onward/return ticket and possess a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond their date of entry into Thailand.

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs has informed us that Thai Immigration will enforce existing foreign entry regulations and step up efforts to prevent abuse of the 30-day visa exemption policy for tourism granted to some foreigners, including U.S. citizens. Thai immigration authorities will review carefully travelers who have received permission to stay for 30 days through the visa exemption policy, and who subsequently seek to reenter Thailand repeatedly for an additional 30 days under the same program. If immigration officials perceive that individuals are entering Thailand to reside for an extended time or indefinitely, rather than seeking entry for tourism, such individuals may be denied re-entry. If so, they will be referred to a Royal Thai Embassy outside of Thailand to apply for a regular Thai visa before seeking to enter Thailand again. The U.S. Embassy and Consulate are not able to intervene with Thai Immigration or the airlines regarding their regulations and policies on behalf of a U.S. citizen who is denied re-entry.

U.S. long-term tourists and business travelers should check with the Royal Thai Embassy about Thailand’s visa requirements. Additional information is available at the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for Thailand at http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/thailand.html.

• Like 1

Doesn't Thailand have bi-lateral agreements with some countries e.g Hong Kong. Does this mean HK citizens will have no problems getting visa exempts? If they do start stopping HK citizens from entering, then HK could easily refuse entry for Thai citizens in return.

USA Citizens be smart,
If staying in Thailand less than 30 days use the legal 30 day entry stamp option.
No need for the time or money wasted getting an un-needed 60 day tourist visa.
Until the law changes and they stop 30 day entry stamps there will be no problems for Americians.
I have questioned Thai immigration officials on this and was informed the same exactly as the OP
has mentioned USA citizens 30 day stamp no problem or change.
Of course if staying over 30 days on holiday or living in Thailand the proper visa should be endorsed.

First of all, by Thai Immigration law and regulation US citizens are given the same visa-exempt privileges as all the other G7 countries.

Then, in light of recent developments you may think that visa are "unnecessary and wasted money", but the US Embassy in Bangkok does not agree, in fact they announce in their "message to US citizens" of the 7th of this month, that
The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs has informed us that Thai Immigration will enforce existing foreign entry regulations and step up efforts to prevent abuse of the 30-day visa exemption policy for tourism granted to some foreigners, including U.S. citizens.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/070714_message_to_us_citizens.html

And at the recent Consular Outreach in Pattaya they even used a PowerPoint presentation to project that message on the wall along with some other basic Citizen Service information... and in anticipation of a slew of calls from whining Americans, it included that final sentence: The U.S. Embassy and Consulate are not able to intervene with Thai Immigration or the airlines regarding their regulations and policies on behalf of a U.S. citizen who is denied re-entry.

Edited by Suradit69

Doesn't Thailand have bi-lateral agreements with some countries e.g Hong Kong. Does this mean HK citizens will have no problems getting visa exempts? If they do start stopping HK citizens from entering, then HK could easily refuse entry for Thai citizens in return.

There is no suggestion that people, whether American or from Hong Kong, are going to be refused visa exempt entry when the facility is used as it was intended. The crackdown is aimed at the abuse of the system by those who have repeatedly entered the country month after month using visa exempt entries or serial back to back tourist visas and who clearly are not tourists.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

At Phuket airport arrival immigration I have not heard or seen of any 30 day stamps denied re entry even with out all the return tickets etc...never ever

I have been asked to show onward tickets by airlines before coming to Thailand but never asked for anything at Thai immigration upon arrival.

I will be arriving again on August 13th or 14th will be expecting my normal legal by the rules 30 day stamp. Will see what happens.

Yes I will have onward ticket, Letter from my company explaining my work vacation schedule and some pay stubbs in hand if required

BUT I am sure it will be same same as always...

Hand passport to un smiling officer stand on red spot look at camera listen for stamping noise accept stamped passport

no thank you's or sawadee caap's for officer then continue on my way,

To awaiting Internet booked Phuket shuttle taxi to straight to first 7/11 cold beer for me , Krating dang one for me one for driver enjoy the ride to Rawai etc etc...

Thats the plan anyways will report my findings accordingly.

If denied entry I think I get 7 days to book ticket??? so fly to Singapore or KL and get visa as required under new law. but until this happens I'll be using the legal 30 day stamp method same I have been using for over 8 years of vacationing in Thailand.

There is no suggestion that people, whether American or from Hong Kong, are going to be refused visa exempt entry when the facility is used as it was intended. The crackdown is aimed at the abuse of the system by those who have repeatedly entered the country month after month using visa exempt entries or serial back to back tourist visas and who clearly are not tourists.

The difference between America and Hong Kong is that there is a signed agreement between the Thai and HK governments to allow each other's citizens to enter. I doubt it is written in the agreement that there are maximum number of back to back entries one is allowed. Whilst there is no such agreement with America - it's simply Thai policy, which they are entitled to change at any time.

You are the one doing visa runs. You are not a tourist, you are simply abusing the visa-exempt privilege. And currently planning to abuse the tourist visa from the sound of it.

The enforcement measures are aimed directly at you. Oh, there is no "new law".

Read the ACSBKK notice. The jig is up.

You Have no clue what you are talking about......

I have never done a visa run, No need to I get a 30 day stamp every time i vacation in Thailand...

Be careful with your accusations of things you have no clue or proof to what you say...

keyboard cartoon watching warrior....

your wrong on this one.

Read the ACSBKK notice ????? What ever that is??

states the same rules that are in effect now will still be in effect. 30 days stamp at arrivial for USA citizens no visa required.

except now the thais will be checking for the the required documents (you really think that will happen) of witch all documents that are required I have.

will see on my next arrival...

Edited by glassdude007

At Phuket airport arrival immigration I have not heard or seen of any 30 day stamps denied re entry even with out all the return tickets etc...never ever

I have been asked to show onward tickets by airlines before coming to Thailand but never asked for anything at Thai immigration upon arrival.

I will be arriving again on August 13th or 14th will be expecting my normal legal by the rules 30 day stamp. Will see what happens.

Yes I will have onward ticket, Letter from my company explaining my work vacation schedule and some pay stubbs in hand if required

BUT I am sure it will be same same as always...

Hand passport to un smiling officer stand on red spot look at camera listen for stamping noise accept stamped passport

no thank you's or sawadee caap's for officer then continue on my way,

To awaiting Internet booked Phuket shuttle taxi to straight to first 7/11 cold beer for me , Krating dang one for me one for driver enjoy the ride to Rawai etc etc...

Thats the plan anyways will report my findings accordingly.

If denied entry I think I get 7 days to book ticket??? so fly to Singapore or KL and get visa as required under new law. but until this happens I'll be using the legal 30 day stamp method same I have been using for over 8 years of vacationing in Thailand.

Sorry but what you just wrote flies in the face of so many other posts on related thread right here on TV.

Never heard of anyone denied at Phuket airport for a 30 day stamp? Umm...how about you go and do a search about that Russian lady that was working illegally, had just a few stamps in her passport, including one tourist visa I believe and was refused immigration clearance at Phuket airport? She then had to return to Malaysia, where she had just flown in from.

Numerous others have had problems at the airports too and unlike at the land borders if you're refused you usually have to fly out on the first available flight to a destination of your choice or your home/residence country. Haven't heard of 7 days being given at the airports, sorry but you're wrong.

The crackdown therefore appears to be in full force, especially at land checkpoints but even at airports they are scrutinizing passengers, especially if they haven't got documents for onward travel (although as you say generally they still don't request this from citizens of rich nations). In fact, I'd almost rather be coming in at a land border if they're giving 7 days, because numerous people have been refused at the airports and as mentioned they are detained until they can get on a flight. In some cases travellers are merely held for a few hours and eventually given a stamp (of the normal length afforded to that citizen) but still, judging by some of the posts I have read it does sound like a very scary and unpleasant experience.

I might also add though that many (most?) of the persons who experienced this scrutiny had previous overstays in their passports (which they didn't seem to think would influence the scrutiny they received, something they were very wrong about!) and of course many were also border runners or hadn't stayed outside of Thailand much attempting to live 11/12 months in Thailand on visa exempt stamps or a combination of tourist visa and exempt stamps.

The difference between America and Hong Kong is that there is a signed agreement between the Thai and HK governments to allow each other's citizens to enter. I doubt it is written in the agreement that there are maximum number of back to back entries one is allowed. Whilst there is no such agreement with America - it's simply Thai policy, which they are entitled to change at any time.

I don't think that changes anything and most likely Hong Kong deports a lot more Thais than the other way round.

Case in point: South Korea and Thailand have a generous bilateral 90-day visa free waiver, so three times more generous than the one with Hong Kong you are referring to. However, 8000-9000 Thais are refused entry into South Korea every year, presumably because they have insufficient funds, lack of a reason to return, can't prove to the authorities that they are legitimate tourists or a combination of a multiple of these factors. Only 20 or so South Koreans were refused entry to Thailand, per year, in recent years. That is something the Thais want to address - for one, South Koreans have been targeted because they are known to be serial abusers of the visa waiver scheme and as such, if they can refuse entry to so many Thais, the Thais can also refuse entry to the South Koreans! Until such time that a more reasonable number of South Koreans are refused entry to Thailand, there won't and can't be any backlash, because as it stands, 400-450 times more Thais are refused entry to South Korea than South Koreans to Thailand!

Any country has the right to say who is allowed to enter their country and under which circumstances. The mere presence of a bilateral agreement means nothing - sure, the Thais are obligated to provide entry to Hong Kong, American and other eligible citizens based on the agreements in place, without undue hindrance. But if those passengers are suspected and then proven not to be tourists, to be abusing that system, then those privileges are withdrawn. As already mentioned, I'm sure this happens to plenty of Thais going to Hong Kong too, not just South Korea. Hence the Thais in a sense have more reason to scrutinize citizens of those countries than the other way round. It would be different if Thailand refused entry to 50000 South Koreans per year and only 5000 in the other direction, but that's a long way from being the case.

I don't think that changes anything and most likely Hong Kong deports a lot more Thais than the other way round.

Case in point: South Korea and Thailand have a generous bilateral 90-day visa free waiver, so three times more generous than the one with Hong Kong you are referring to. However, 8000-9000 Thais are refused entry into South Korea every year, presumably because they have insufficient funds, lack of a reason to return, can't prove to the authorities that they are legitimate tourists or a combination of a multiple of these factors. Only 20 or so South Koreans were refused entry to Thailand, per year, in recent years. That is something the Thais want to address - for one, South Koreans have been targeted because they are known to be serial abusers of the visa waiver scheme and as such, if they can refuse entry to so many Thais, the Thais can also refuse entry to the South Koreans! Until such time that a more reasonable number of South Koreans are refused entry to Thailand, there won't and can't be any backlash, because as it stands, 400-450 times more Thais are refused entry to South Korea than South Koreans to Thailand!

Any country has the right to say who is allowed to enter their country and under which circumstances. The mere presence of a bilateral agreement means nothing - sure, the Thais are obligated to provide entry to Hong Kong, American and other eligible citizens based on the agreements in place, without undue hindrance. But if those passengers are suspected and then proven not to be tourists, to be abusing that system, then those privileges are withdrawn. As already mentioned, I'm sure this happens to plenty of Thais going to Hong Kong too, not just South Korea. Hence the Thais in a sense have more reason to scrutinize citizens of those countries than the other way round. It would be different if Thailand refused entry to 50000 South Koreans per year and only 5000 in the other direction, but that's a long way from being the case.

Tom, thanks for the info on the South Korean agreement. I raised the issue, because i was wondering how the crackdown would affect citizens of countries with bi-lateral agreements. I guess it makes no difference at all.

• Like 1

Among the countries Thailand has bi-lateral agreements with, are Laos, Korea and Russia, and citizens from those three were mentioned as specifically targeted by the crackdown, so it doesn't seem the agreements give any protection.

No problem. I read about this issue when the stricter visa rules were first announced. South Koreans are one of the target nationalities for the crackdown as are Russians, Vietnamese and a few others. Some of these nationalities have had it easy so far due to generous 90-day visa free waivers or 30-day visa waivers at land border checkpoints (in the case of Russians and Vietnamese) - many of the target nationalities are in fact those that have a bilateral agreement with Thailand on visa exemption. So Americans are not part of that - they can be further scrutinized compared to the past, but I agree with some other posters that relative to the target nationalities they are less of an issue, as are Australians, most other western Europeans etc.

As for Hong Kong, I think they have been amongst the most vocal at trying to get their citizens not to travel to Thailand during the political crisis prior to the coup and it seemed to work. Visitor arrivals from Hong Kong are sharply down on previous years.

Among the countries Thailand has bi-lateral agreements with, are Laos, Korea and Russia, and citizens from those three were mentioned as specifically targeted by the crackdown, so it doesn't seem the agreements give any protection.

That's very interesting! Maybe these guys were abusing the system because they thought the bi-lateral agreement would protect them. I know a lot of koreans and russians run illegal business, and have invested a lot of money here - i wouldn't be doing that unless i thought i was safe here.