20 inch alloys

i recently bought a mazda bt50 and im thinking about putting it on 20 inch alloys and semi low profiles (not sure about actual size yet) ive been quoted 40000 baht for a set of four whitch with new tyres seem quite cheap (maxis tyres) what im trying to find out is will it make for a better ride as i have to travel to khon kaen every month so id like to get readers opinions.

I put 20's (275/50/20 tyres) on my Ranger and the difference in ride quality was not noticeable.

was it that bad before - surprised by this news smile.png

It rode like a pickup with OE wheels and it rode like one with 20's. I did notice the difference when I went to 22's though.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Better or worse is a matter of personal preference. I like the firmer ride the 22's gave.

The tendency for the rear to skip out over rough road surfaces became worse though, swapping out the rear rubber suspension bushes for some nolathane ones helped, as well as better shock absorbers.

Blackfox, most tyre shops will trade old wheels and tyres. 40,000 with out trade would be cheap if the wheels are good.

As mentioned in the posts above, the 20inch pickup tyre profile is not that low plus the Bridgestone Duelers on many Pickups and PPV's are not that good anyway. Good 265/50R20 tyres typically ride similarly but have better grip and steering feel compared to the OEM tyres.

Personally I like the Yokohama Parada Spec X 275/55R20 size but these are not cheap and do not fit all.

was it better or worse with the 22's on.

I upgraded the OEM 16" Dueller tires on my new MU-7 to a set of 265/50R20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X following the recommendations by the knowledgeable pundits of this forum. These tires ride just like Jitar and the other pundits said. I find them to be smooth, grip the road and excellent cornering and on wet pavement but you will pay for the quality. I have 30k km on this set and they have worn extremely evenly and look to have more than half(?) the tread remaining. I highly recommend these to anyone who wants an excellent performing tire. I will most definitely buy another set of Parada's when these wear out.

When going from 20" to 22", I would look at the difference in the amount of exposed sidewall tire between the road and your wheel. The Parada has a good 'reinforced' sidewall on these tires.

Edited by thailoht