rainy season?

stevehaigh

Yes, a nice rainy day. It's down to a nice 23.7º C outside here in Rawai, but still about 26º C inside with the windows open. We could use a few days of this! I should have put out the rain gauge as this is the first real rain I've seen since getting back in early June! By the way Windguru doesn't do a very good job of weather prediction here. It is a bit better than the Thai meteorological website though. I find the radar on this site is pretty accurate, although it's not a long term forecast. http://panphuket.com/weather

The PanPhuket weather page is collection of various weather sources which are related to Phuket. It tries to give a one glance overview of the local weather.

The radar image itself is from TMD rain radar, which is physically located a bit north to the Phuket airport. The loop is originated here: http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/pkt120Loop.php

For a long time I have wanted to setup a 1-button weather station of my own. Something which would be able to collect all kind of weather related information: rain gauge, wind sensors, pressure meter as well as solar radiation sensor and transfer the data to a database where it could be printed to website. Those used to be quite expensive before and I have not checked what is the current price.

Yes, I knew where all the pages that are collected on the PanPhuket page were from. But it's much handier than looking at each page. Plus it has flight data and other stuff at the top of the page. And yes, I've looked into the automated weather collection devices as I'd like one as well, still a bit pricey I guess for me. Especially when I'm too busy drooling over guitars, and other music gear online everyday! biggrin.png

Edited by Jimi007

4PM to about 8 yesterday in Rawai, 3.8cms of rain.

What's that in millilitres?

38 mm

Yes 3.8cms= 38mm ,but sorry, your answer is incorrect ..no relevance ....millilitres is volume ..you dont measure rainfall by volume wai2.gif

......and there ya go, learn something new everyday........another ThaiVisa Miracle !

Yes, a nice rainy day. It's down to a nice 23.7º C outside here in Rawai, but still about 26º C inside with the windows open. We could use a few days of this! I should have put out the rain gauge as this is the first real rain I've seen since getting back in early June! By the way Windguru doesn't do a very good job of weather prediction here. It is a bit better than the Thai meteorological website though. I find the radar on this site is pretty accurate, although it's not a long term forecast. http://panphuket.com/weather

The PanPhuket weather page is collection of various weather sources which are related to Phuket. It tries to give a one glance overview of the local weather.

The radar image itself is from TMD rain radar, which is physically located a bit north to the Phuket airport. The loop is originated here: http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/pkt120Loop.php

For a long time I have wanted to setup a 1-button weather station of my own. Something which would be able to collect all kind of weather related information: rain gauge, wind sensors, pressure meter as well as solar radiation sensor and transfer the data to a database where it could be printed to website. Those used to be quite expensive before and I have not checked what is the current price.

Wind Guru offers one at 650 USD including VAT and delivery. Not sure about solar radiation sensor though. Several others available through WeatherBug, WunderGround, etc. Most of those are Oregon Sci or similar, and are around 500USD before delivery. So, same same but different. Many of these operate with wifi and auto load into your computer. Then, you can become part of a worldwide data collection...which is pretty cool. The Wind Guru unit offers lifetime warranty and free lifetime upgrade to Wind Guru Pro. http://www.windgurutip.cz/?utm_source=windguru_spot&utm_medium=banner&utm_term=june&utm_campaign=windguru-spot#!windgurustation-windguru-station

A bit expensive, but I think I'll pick one up eventually.

I measure rain by how many liters I'm able to collect for home usage.

Some places sell beer in meters. Very good way of measurement when going to have only one.

metere.jpg

I went to restart my TOT ADSL modem and it does not connect anymore. Then called to TOT as they have some kind of policy that the service should be up and running in 24 hours. Therefore it's best to just call them and not wait if something is fixed.

I learned that they have now records of what have been reported to them earlier. They did noted that it was only yesterday that I asked to get a faster internet speed. Now I'm afraid they'll downgrade my speed again as the faster speed caused problems..

Full rain storm here in Kata - expect full tanks already.

edit// internet has been very bad. Disconnecting frequently.

You've probably got a bad or loose connection.

3BB came today and fixed my problem - similar to yours: disconnects every few minutes, low bandwidth when connection works, but only when it's wet and windy.

It all started exactly one month ago when we had some big squalls. I think the wind made a cable move and damaged a connection.

For the next two weeks the weather was fine and so was my Internet. Then it was wet and windy again on the 15th, and I had the same symptoms: periodic disconnects, re-connects, low bandwidth, low - or negative! - signal to noise.

Then all was OK again until a couple of days ago when it started again during the rain.

I told the 3BB guys about the wind and rain, but they didn't take any notice.

So they changed the modem. No difference. Rewired all along my soi to my street pole. No difference. Then they went up in the roof space and re-made the connection. Success! biggrin.png

They could've done that weeks ago.

Ah, well. You can only spend so much effort trying to explain things.

So after they left, this evening the Internet worked perfectly through all that torrential downpour. Not a glitch, and it's been up for nearly 8 hours:

post-35489-0-76666700-1406392022.jpg

post-35489-0-76666700-1406392022_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some real rain, flooded streets, etc. Love this.

i think my pool just went up 10cm in 2 hrs! i just got back from the airport this a.m. and no rain up there, strange that the south has got it all, usually the other way round

Yesterday it was as usual the other way round. Left the waterfall yesterday a bit after noon, and encountered rain in Surin and Kamala. reached Patong and further south, all dry.

I'm not sure, but could it be if there is a low pressure on the north west of Phuket which 'draws' the winds towards it? A bit like large scale, yet mild typhoon which makes the winds go around the center.

latest.jpg