Reincarnation - have you changed your mind?

Neeranam

Religion is child abuse pure an simple and that includes the Thai Buddhist system, its a disgrace.

Please, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. smile.png

My wife has two kids, they are Buddhist, and I would hate to think they were ever abused.

Of course they have been abused, ask them if they believe in Ghosts............... no proof, ask them if they believe in reincarnation......no proof, what they have been taught by this nonsense will affect the rest of their lives.

What they should be being taught is provable answers and for ones that are unknown simply told "we dont know" not some mumbo jumbo.

How many Buddhists, Muslims, Christians, Jews ec do you think would there be if they werent indoctrinated at birth but were told about this at 18 years an upwards?

But the real killer these days is "you must respect their beliefs" <deleted> its nothing more than a belief , zero evidence, nothing to demonstrate its true.

I want my kids informed of what we know and can prove to some certainty, not what we dont know but make up with supernatural claptrap.

It is abuse.

• Like 1

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a matter of fact, I was reading today the stunning story about this Christian-raised boy in the US who could remember his past life as a WWII pilot from a very early age.

They say that it generally seems that people can remember their past life if it has ended violently.

Here is a link to the story: http://www.iisis.net/index.php?page=semkiw-reincarnation-james-leininger-carol-bowman

i changed to islam some years ago and promised all these virgins what can i do with them at old age? also what about all irate wives there to? cheers

There's been a misprint in that book. The correct "reward" is seventy two Virginians -- foul-smelling toothless hillbillies, each and every one of them.

T

And just where are your from Buttercup, Isaan?

Living in Thailand didn't change my beliefs about reincarnation, but i think there must be something in it, which of course i can't fully understand, or believe.

My question is, can the consciousness exist after the end of the physical body ?

I think possibly yes, but just in very few cases..

To ask a common guy to explain the possibility of the transmigration of the souls, is , more or less , like to expect a dog to explain the mechanics of a Jumbo Jet.. Most likely the dog will just bark..wai.gif

I agree after some of the replies.

My question is, can the consciousness exist after the end of the physical body ?

Read up on the laws of thermodynamics.

There are thousands of documented cases of people having 'out of body' experiences when their body was either close to death or had actually died and were brought back...

i changed to islam some years ago and promised all these virgins what can i do with them at old age? also what about all irate wives there to? cheers

There's been a misprint in that book. The correct "reward" is seventy two Virginians -- foul-smelling toothless hillbillies, each and every one of them.

T

And just where are your from Buttercup, Isaan?

You Virginians are a touchy lot.

It's a riff on the "72 virgins" meme. The suicide bomber arrives in heaven and finds himself surrounded by 72 Virginians instead of virgins. They had to be unappetizing Virginians, because if they all looked like Sandra Bullock, the joke doesn't work.

Surely in the entire history of Virginia there have been 72 ugly Virginians who have now passed on and are in heaven making life miserable for the disappointed suicide bomber. I can't believe I'm even saying this.

T

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Put me down for no reincarnation

no gods

no devils

no spirits

no ghosts

no heaven

no hell

no angels

no witches

no magic

no tooth fairy

no santa claus

no horses with wings

no coming back from the dead

but in saying that the most proof I've seen for any of the above was finding 20 cents under my pillow a few times in place of a lost tooth

I do believe in stupid, gullible people though

Are you trying to say that people believing in reincarnation, including me, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Jains, many Jews, Christians etc are stupid gullible people?

Are you saying that scientists such as Ian Stevenson are fools?

What scares you so much about it? Open your mind.

Hmmmm you know the old saying that "if you could reason with superstitious people, there would be no superstitious people". So you go one believing in magic and I will 'open my mind' to understanding the universe is an amazingly wonderful thing, even without man made gods.

Edited by Khun Loong
  • Like 1

As a matter of fact, I was reading today the stunning story about this Christian-raised boy in the US who could remember his past life as a WWII pilot from a very early age.

They say that it generally seems that people can remember their past life if it has ended violently.

Here is a link to the story: http://www.iisis.net/index.php?page=semkiw-reincarnation-james-leininger-carol-bowman

Yes there was a similar nonsense story like this from India, Shanti Devi, turned out the girl in question had prior knowledge through her Father I think it was eventually discovered.

17:34 a letter was found after her death

Edited by kannot

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Put me down for no reincarnation
no gods
no devils
no spirits
no ghosts
no heaven
no hell
no angels
no witches
no magic
no tooth fairy
no santa claus
no horses with wings
no coming back from the dead
but in saying that the most proof I've seen for any of the above was finding 20 cents under my pillow a few times in place of a lost tooth
I do believe in stupid, gullible people though

Hahahahahahah! You sound like the kind of guy who believes in the tooth fairy!
We as I posted, i have seen more proof of tooth fairy than of any god or reincarnation. But no, maybe you don't get the humour......it's all superstitious crap.

Ummm, I got it, guv. Did you get mine?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually no 'guv'. I really don't get what you are trying to say.

Karl Marx was spot on when he described religion as Opium for the masses. I used to believe that belief in reincarnation was harmless but my views have changed over time. There is little doubt that in Thailand both social mobility and social responsibility have been seriously hindered by current interpretation of Budhism.

Belief in reincarnation is harmful?

What a strange thing to say.

I don't belong to any religion but believe in reincarnation.

Personally, I embrace both science and spirituality (not religion). I used to be atheist until I had a profound experience. After that I just couldn't deny that there was something more. So I started reading everything I could put my hands on, trying to make sense out of what happened. I found that others had had the same or similar experiences.

My 'believe' is rooted in first hand experience and mixed with knowledge from many very special people who have walked the path before me and I feel I can trust them.

This is no different from what atheists do, by the way. Their believe also is a mix of their own unique experiences and data they take from reliable sources, which they assume to be true.

I have no problems with people who deny the existence of something beyond our 5 senses, as long as they don't try shove it down my throat. Sadly, many do.

Regarding reincarnation, I have no doubt I've been here many times before.Thailand didn't change that.

I don't identify with my believes. If there would come along a better explanation (even a scientific one), I would gladly accept it.

Many people are afraid of dying and they do anything possible not to think about it. I think this is the time to learn as much as we can about death. Once you lose the fear of death, you become free to live.

One of the better responses - thanks.

I also have a had profound spiritual experiences. Did you read "The varieties of spiritual experiences by William James? Phenomenal book.

Trying to explain these experiences is like trying to describe an LSD trip to someone who has never tried it or describe what India is like to someone who hasn't been.

I love the definition - "religion is for those who don't want to go to hell, spirituality is for those who have already been there"

I also used to be an atheist and scientist but as they say, you don't realize you were sleeping until you wake up.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

For most people, knowing what is before your born and after your body dies, is totally errased from your memory bank each time you arrive on earth and leave. Being able to open the doors of memory to the Unknown takes many lives of meditation and mystical practical applications. I began my quest in a Mystery School in 1964 this life and within 10 years was able to start opening the doors of memory and further understand the laws of reincarnation. Soul in endless and has no limites being WE our Soul is a part of what thought us into our present creation. Our soul is in one respect a large storage bank of feelings and thoughts that accumilate as each human life is experienced, but being soul has no limites, more than one life can be experienced at a time. Belief is based on ignorance and superstition. Knowledge is based on scientific fact, whether that science be earth material science or mystical science.

Karl Marx was spot on when he described religion as Opium for the masses. I used to believe that belief in reincarnation was harmless but my views have changed over time. There is little doubt that in Thailand both social mobility and social responsibility have been seriously hindered by current interpretation of Budhism.

Why?

Are you calling Stephen Hawking stupid? Do you understand the laws of thermodynamics better than one of the greatest astrophysicists who has ever lived?

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark," he added.

Interview with Stephen Hawking, 2011 The Guardian

Why?

Are you calling Stephen Hawking stupid? Do you understand the laws of thermodynamics better than one of the greatest astrophysicists who has ever lived?

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark," he added.

Mistaken but obviously not stupid although plagiarizing a lot of Einsteins work.

I studied thermodynamics many years ago and forgot most of it but remember that energy cannot be created nor destroyed.

Are you calling Buddhists leaders stupid? The Dalai Lama?

Buddhists say that Gautama Buddha experienced countless incarnations over eons of time before ultimately transcending the cycle of birth and death. And the Dalai Lama has said:

“We are born and reborn countless number of times, and it is possible that each being has been our parent at one time or another. Therefore, it is likely that all beings in this universe have familial connections.”

~ H. H. Dalai Lama, from ‘The Path to Tranquility: Daily Wisdom”.

Why?

Mistaken but obviously not stupid although plagiarizing a lot of Einsteins work.

I studied thermodynamics many years ago and forgot most of it but remember that energy cannot be created nor destroyed.

Are you calling Buddhists leaders stupid? The Dalai Lama?

Buddhists say that Gautama Buddha experienced countless incarnations over eons of time before ultimately transcending the cycle of birth and death. And the Dalai Lama has said:

“We are born and reborn countless number of times, and it is possible that each being has been our parent at one time or another. Therefore, it is likely that all beings in this universe have familial connections.”

~ H. H. Dalai Lama, from ‘The Path to Tranquility: Daily Wisdom”.

The Dalai Lama is mistaken though obviously not stupid.

The comment about Hawking plagiarizing Einstein's work is embarrassing to read.

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

Personally, I embrace both science and spirituality (not religion). I used to be atheist until I had a profound experience. After that I just couldn't deny that there was something more. So I started reading everything I could put my hands on, trying to make sense out of what happened. I found that others had had the same or similar experiences.
My 'believe' is rooted in first hand experience and mixed with knowledge from many very special people who have walked the path before me and I feel I can trust them.

This is no different from what atheists do, by the way. Their believe also is a mix of their own unique experiences and data they take from reliable sources, which they assume to be true.

I have no problems with people who deny the existence of something beyond our 5 senses, as long as they don't try shove it down my throat. Sadly, many do.

Regarding reincarnation, I have no doubt I've been here many times before.Thailand didn't change that.

I don't identify with my believes. If there would come along a better explanation (even a scientific one), I would gladly accept it.

Many people are afraid of dying and they do anything possible not to think about it. I think this is the time to learn as much as we can about death. Once you lose the fear of death, you become free to live.

Let's not forget...our 6 senses. The mind comes into contact with phenomena just like the eyes and ears etc etc.

What was your experience, if you don't mind? (just interested)

And i couldn't agree more with what you say about learning about death.

Funnily enough i mentioned in a previous post that i was adamant at a very young age that we all had past lives (different wording) and used to tell this to m y mother. I remember telling her this in connection with a dream i had. A dream about me being killed with guns and explosives (if i remember correctly). I remember being killed with many gun shots and there were explosives (but it wasn't me, though it felt like me). I remember telling my mum about it and telling her when i die i want to die in a cool way and not in a boring way because what's the point in that. Quite funny. Maybe nothing. Maybe something. But i feel like i was more in touch with spirituality and not afraid of death/life, but as i grew up that changed.

Edited by ChrisB87

Neeranam

You sound like an exception but for many people reincarnation and fatalism are very much bound together with religiion. How many Thais drive like maniacs because they are ' safely ' protected by amulets ? How many poor people make no effort to lift themselves from poverty , why bother when a little merit will guarantee a better life next time around ?

I understand there may be spiritual and emotional advantages to be had but there is no question that there are also downsides. If you cannot acknowledge such then you have become narrow minded.

• Like 1

Neeranam

You sound like an exception but for many people reincarnation and fatalism are very much bound together with religiion. How many Thais drive like maniacs because they are ' safely ' protected by amulets ? How many poor people make no effort to lift themselves from poverty , why bother when a little merit will guarantee a better life next time around ?

I understand there may be spiritual and emotional advantages to be had but there is no question that there are also downsides. If you cannot acknowledge such then you have become narrow minded.

I don't think poor people think that much but are often just lazy. Maybe if one is spiritually and emotionally well, the downsides are worth it.

The Dalai Lama is mistaken though obviously not stupid.

The comment about Hawking plagiarizing Einstein's work is embarrassing to read.

Your plagiarizing my post is rather funny.

I know who I'd rather be in the company of. One is a geek and the other is enlightened.

Let's not forget...our 6 senses. The mind comes into contact with phenomena just like the eyes and ears etc etc.

What was your experience, if you don't mind? (just interested)

And i couldn't agree more with what you say about learning about death.

[quote name="UdeBoCM" post="8098809" timestamp="1405

-................sorry,messed up the quote..................

I rather not throw the details of what is one of my most precious moments of my life to people who won't understand them and worse just redicule them.

I have no need to convince anyone.

If you really want to know, send me a PM and I'll try to answer your questions.

Edited by OmegaRacer

Where were the souls before the earth was formed?

This is a very 3D question...

When we return home, we transcend 3D and merge with all there is. You might as well ask where love is or where God is (if you believe in God, that is).

If you really want a 3D answer, I could say that Earth is a pretty young planet and there are far older ones out there.

Besides, where is your soul now?

• Like 1

Wow...you must be on some good meds!

I don't believe in "reincarnation in the spiritual sense, but if you want to look at it scientifically, then yes, as all the atoms that make up the earth (and the universe for that matter, but let's just keep it local for this post) have been here since the earth's formation some 4 billion years ago or so, so in that sense, everything found on earth, including all life forms, have been made of these atoms and remade from the all this time. So in that sense, the same atoms (people) are constantly being recycled (reincarnated) into all other things, both animate and inanimate, all the time. Of course, there would be no recycling/reincarnation of the personality of the deceased person in their atoms so in that sense there is no recycling of "persons."

Honestly, i don't see the point in discussing spiritual things with non-believers, it's a bit like talking about music with deaf people,

...With all the respect to non-believers and deaf people.

The day i'll find a materialist who can explain the infinite, i will give up all my beliefs..

...I suspect i will have to wait a long time.