Does It Make Sense To Buy A House Here

bowerboy

I am thinking of buying a house or Condo in Thailand but it just doesnt seem to make any financial sense to do so...am I missing something or am I seeing this right. I will use my own situation as the example (lets please put ownership issues aside to focus only on the numbers).

I am looking at a house for 6,000,000THB that would cost me 35,000THB per month if I wanted to rent it. Therefore that is 15 years of rent. If I bought it then on average it would probably be another 150,000 per year in maintenance and corporate body fees. So basically with all fees and upkeep added in I could rent the place (or similar) for 20 years for the cost of buying it.

Now the village it is in is 6 or 7 years old and is already showing serious signs of decay and neglect. 20 years from now I am wondering if the village will even be liveable. This particular house is for sale for the same price now as when it as finished 3 years ago.

Given the poor maintenance here and the poor quality of buildings (and the fact that in 20 years I will be 64 anyway) is there really any point buying a place here? In my view that house would be almost worthless 20 years from now. So while the rent is dead money at the same time buying it would be nearly dead money too when you think what condition the house and village will be in 20 years from now.

Surely if I did it by mortgage then it would possibly be an even worse situation as I would be paying double that amount just in interest.

In my thinking the same applies to condos, even in Bangkok. I was looking at a condo in Thonglor the other day (Waterford) that the lady was selling for basically the same price she paid for it just before the 1997 financial crisis.

Is it worth buying a property here based on the numbers alone (and not even factoring in things like potential for noise and no option to move etc).

Especially now that some Bangkok prices are getting very high indeed.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome as I feel I must be missing something.

Easy to buy property in Thailand .....Hard (very hard) to sell....That being said ...Personally I have made money (or I should say my wife has ...which she has given me anyway) , but it wasn't easy and took awhile.

benefit of owning a home is it's yours (I wouldn't buy a condo,,,,corporate body fees, politics and maintenience money gone for nothing!)

Also I wouldn't buy the home your speaking of as it sounds too expensive!

Look for land and build your dream home ....can be done for under the 6,000,000 you're looking to spend (much cheaper!) but as pointed out earlier it's money gone! if you need it ...RENT!

good luck

Thanks for this....it is a different ball game here for sure.

I guess the point is this: If I bought a home in UK then the price could go up or down in 20 years BUT one thing is for sure...20 years from now you could live in a house that is the same thing in 20 years as the day you bought it....indeed your grandchildren could live in it it 60 years from now without issue.....in contrast can you imagine a house or condo here in 20 years or worse still in 60 years time? No way if I bought a house or condo here would it be liveable 60 years from now.

I think that is the fundamental issue I am facing in my mind.

• Like 2

Hi Costas...i guess that is my concern...with the quality of the building and the uncertainty of surrounding land (wherever you live here) there will be nothing to remember me by! I just cant see it lasting or lasting in a way that will be desirable 20 or 30 years from now....more like "wow, can you belive we actually used to live there!"

Having said that I would of course LOVE one of those compound type houses you see all round the small sub sois of Sukhumvit...i can definitely see the romance in owning something like that but then you are talking more like 30million up!

Nope. The country is far too unstable in almost every way. Quality and maintenance work substandard to say the least. Perhaps a pigfarm or karaoke will open up next door.

Let alone what is going to happen within the next few years and the unknown there after.

Forget it. Thailand is for playing in.

DB is quite right. It's an unstable country and certainly not a basket to put all your eggs in.

It's fine if you're rich (which I am definitely not) and can afford homes in Thailand and your home country, but it's not worth the risk and bother otherwise.

I built years ago when the Pound was a 76(!) and build costs were cheap. The homes are modest although pleasant but I wouldn't even consider it now.

• Like 1

Yeah even just from a numbers perspective it is hard to justify....add in all the other intangibles like instability, no actual right to live here etc and it seems pretty suicidal....i am not rich and so its not like I could afford to lose the money.

Buying something in the 2m to 3 m range seems more appealing on one hand (not so much to lose if it all goes wrong) but on the other hand those villages with houses of that price are even more likely to be non liveable 20 years from now.

Thanks for all the excellent thoughts.

• Like 1

Yeah even just from a numbers perspective it is hard to justify....add in all the other intangibles like instability, no actual right to live here etc and it seems pretty suicidal....i am not rich and so its not like I could afford to lose the money.

Buying something in the 2m to 3 m range seems more appealing on one hand (not so much to lose if it all goes wrong) but on the other hand those villages with houses of that price are even more likely to be non liveable 20 years from now.

Thanks for all the excellent thoughts.

Absolutely correct.

Renting is a mugs game if you are intending to stay permanently , money down the drain. However, it might make sense if you were uncertain about staying here and if you were still working. I would not have bought were I not retied, at my age I don't really care what happens in 20 years.

• Like 2

Easy to buy property in Thailand .....Hard (very hard) to sell....That being said ...Personally I have made money (or I should say my wife has ...which she has given me anyway) , but it wasn't easy and took awhile.

benefit of owning a home is it's yours (I wouldn't buy a condo,,,,corporate body fees, politics and maintenience money gone for nothing!)

Also I wouldn't buy the home your speaking of as it sounds too expensive!

Look for land and build your dream home ....can be done for under the 6,000,000 you're looking to spend (much cheaper!) but as pointed out earlier it's money gone! if you need it ...RENT!

good luck

Hard to sell "some" property but not all, condos up to 2-3million go quite fast, new or older, my Wife sells them regularly. Bigger money less buyers.