Thais to march in WW I centenary parade in Paris

webfact

France does many seemingly irrational things, and certainly have that in common with Thailand. I truly wonder why France celebrates the beginning or World War I, while the rest of the world celebrates the ending of hostilities. Can we call it "Grenouillness".

What has Thailand to do with either WW I or WW II for that matter?? But I guess that these 2 countries are so a like

that this must be the reason for participate I guess... Non of them speak any english...

Glegolo

Thais were in internment camps, with the Japanese invasion, ever watched the movie, "Bridge over the River Kwai? Oh I forgot, some people are experts in history..... What ever happened to History? WWI and WWII? Someone sure as hell built that Railroad didn't they? Have you ever ridden on it? Just a question. Because I have!

The movie is extremely inaccurate. Hollywood is not a reliable source of accurate history and biography. Better you use an actual history book if you want to know the true history of that bridge and river.

• Like 1

What has Thailand to do with either WW I or WW II for that matter?? But I guess that these 2 countries are so a like

that this must be the reason for participate I guess... Non of them speak any english...

Glegolo

With a little research you'll find the following:

1) Siam joined the Entente and declared war on the Central Powers (Germany & Austria-Hungary) on 28 July 1917. The country then sent an volunteer force of roughly 1,300 troops to the western front in France. This expeditionary contingent, however, did not arrive until late spring 1918, and 19 Siamese soldiers were killed until the war was over. The main reason for Siam to enter the war was to gain favor with France and Britain, the dominant colonial powers in the region. Siam had lost considerable amounts of territory particularly to France in the late 19th and early 20th century (Laos, Cambodia), but Britain also posed a threat from the south (Malaya) and west (Burma). But an additional bonus for Siam was that after declaring war on Germany they could simply take over the German-built northern railway line (to Chiang Mai) without paying a dime. The few remaining unfinished kilometers to finally connect Bangkok and Chiang Mai were eventually completed by a company from then-neutral Denmark. Siam also expropriated other German business concessions, interning their German owners and employees.

2) In mid-1941, Japan initially "requested" from Thailand (Siam was renamed "Thailand" in 1939) - then ruled by an ultra-nationalist regime under Field Marshal Plaek Phibulsongkhram, a self-confessed admirer of Adolf Hitler - to be granted passage rights through the country to enable its impending invasions of in Burma and Malaya. The Phibulsongkhram regime initially refused, which prompted the Japanese to conduct an amphibious landing in southern Thailand on 8 December 1941. After a mere few hours of fighting, Thailand conceded and gave in to Japan's access demands. In fact, on 14 December 1941 an alliance pact was even signed between Japan and Thailand, which effectively made Thailand an ally of the Axis Powers (including Nazi Germany). Japan had now full access to the country and could use all Thai infrastructure, including airfields, railways, roads, naval bases, communications facilities, etc. As a reward for its "cooperation", Japan allowed Thailand to annex considerable territories of French-Indochina, as well as of British-Malaya and Burma, but practically all of these territory gains had to be returned again after the war. On 25 January 1942 Thailand declared war on Britain and the U.S., although the Thai ambassador to Washington refused to deliver the declaration of war, one of several main factors why Thailand was not treated as an aggressor by the Allies after the war, but instead came out as a "victor".

They quickly switched sides once the Allies started to gain ground in SEA.

• Like 1

They will parade in a uniform designed for the occasion by French stylist Agnes b.

I thought they would wear the Nazi uniforms which that other Thai university used lately.

Thai military wear their uniform and parade with have the nation flag,

Thaddeus post # 22

"That's the thing about the Thais, they are always there when they need you"

All rather like this chappy who led from the back.

Charles-de-Gaulle-006.jpg

If only his ego was a small as his John Thomas then France would probably be a much better place.

• Like 1

Glegolo

1) Siam joined the Entente and declared war on the Central Powers (Germany & Austria-Hungary) on 28 July 1917. The country then sent an volunteer force of roughly 1,300 troops to the western front in France. This expeditionary contingent, however, did not arrive until late spring 1918, and 19 Siamese soldiers were killed until the war was over. The main reason for Siam to enter the war was to gain favor with France and Britain, the dominant colonial powers in the region. Siam had lost considerable amounts of territory particularly to France in the late 19th and early 20th century (Laos, Cambodia), but Britain also posed a threat from the south (Malaya) and west (Burma). But an additional bonus for Siam was that after declaring war on Germany they could simply take over the German-built northern railway line (to Chiang Mai) without paying a dime. The few remaining unfinished kilometers to finally connect Bangkok and Chiang Mai were eventually completed by a company from then-neutral Denmark. Siam also expropriated other German business concessions, interning their German owners and employees.

2) In mid-1941, Japan initially "requested" from Thailand (Siam was renamed "Thailand" in 1939) - then ruled by an ultra-nationalist regime under Field Marshal Plaek Phibulsongkhram, a self-confessed admirer of Adolf Hitler - to be granted passage rights through the country to enable its impending invasions of in Burma and Malaya. The Phibulsongkhram regime initially refused, which prompted the Japanese to conduct an amphibious landing in southern Thailand on 8 December 1941. After a mere few hours of fighting, Thailand conceded and gave in to Japan's access demands. In fact, on 14 December 1941 an alliance pact was even signed between Japan and Thailand, which effectively made Thailand an ally of the Axis Powers (including Nazi Germany). Japan had now full access to the country and could use all Thai infrastructure, including airfields, railways, roads, naval bases, communications facilities, etc. As a reward for its "cooperation", Japan allowed Thailand to annex considerable territories of French-Indochina, as well as of British-Malaya and Burma, but practically all of these territory gains had to be returned again after the war. On 25 January 1942 Thailand declared war on Britain and the U.S., although the Thai ambassador to Washington refused to deliver the declaration of war, one of several main factors why Thailand was not treated as an aggressor by the Allies after the war, but instead came out as a "victor".

Yes, that's true, too. Forgot to add that. It should've read:

"...but instead came out as a 'victor', because they quickly deposed the nationalist Phibulsongkhram regime and switched sides in 1944 when they realized that the Allies rapidly gained ground in SEA."

In other words: The usual flip-flopping so characteristic of Siam/Thailand throughout the ages.

Shocking.....well, maybe expected come to think about it, how ignorant and lack of history knowledge many of the members here display.

Come on guys, just a little bit less candy crush on facebook, and bit more research instead.

Just a little bit, and you would have known a little bit more, before the clueless replies.

Well this topic has brought out a range of prejudices. Let's attack the Thais and the French seems to be the general tenor. If the Thais did join the first war late, it was probably politically expedient for them to do so; something that all countries have done since time began. The French bore the brunt of the German army in 1914 until the British army could be brought up in numbers. Remember the Kaiser referring to the British as having a contemptible little army. The British, in typical fashion, took to calling themselves the "Old Contemptibles". History can be interpreted many ways, prejudice seems to follow a set path.

• Like 2

Glegolo

Thank you for posting this. It saved me time doing it myself. Pibul was certainly an opportunist and knew an opportunity for power when he saw it.

Every country, I would imagine, has dark episodes in it's history.

Glegolo

Have you heard of something called "Google"? You can find lots of information very easily with little effort.

You can even find out that Thailand sent a small contingent of troops to fight on the allied side in WW1. That makes them allies of the side that won.

This is about marking the 100th anniversary of WW1. Nothing to do with WW2.

Read the article slowly and carefully - it explains that there are more than 2 nations taking part.

France does many seemingly irrational things, and certainly have that in common with Thailand. I truly wonder why France celebrates the beginning or World War I, while the rest of the world celebrates the ending of hostilities. Can we call it "Grenouillness".

I don't think France is alone in marking this very important anniversary. The UK has many things planned to.

I would hope there will be things over the next 4 years marking the important battles and massive sacrifices on both sides perhaps culminating in the marking of the armistice which ended hostilities.

Glegolo

Thailand sent pilots over to France in WWI and were on the Japanese side in WWII.

A picture's worth a 1000 words....regarding Thais in WWI.

post-58284-0-24758700-1405442455_thumb.j

At least those Thais certainly figured out where France is in the world.

http://thaimilitary.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/90th-anniversary-of-world-war-i-this-is-the-history-of-siamese-volunteer-crop/

As an aside, my Thai wife is in her mid-30s with a public school education culminating in a university degree. And as best as I can tell, she knows nothing of World War I or World War II, even that they occurred.... It seems world history unrelated to Thailand isn't a big deal in the curriculum here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Well this topic has brought out a range of prejudices. Let's attack the Thais and the French seems to be the general tenor. If the Thais did join the first war late, it was probably politically expedient for them to do so; something that all countries have done since time began. The French bore the brunt of the German army in 1914 until the British army could be brought up in numbers. Remember the Kaiser referring to the British as having a contemptible little army. The British, in typical fashion, took to calling themselves the "Old Contemptibles". History can be interpreted many ways, prejudice seems to follow a set path.

A very fair minded post " Cats4ever", on which you are to be commended.

However let us not forget that the main "raison de etre" for our Gallic cousins, at least as far as military affairs viewed through Anglo Saxon eyes are concerned, is to provide some light relief.

Siampollee has already alluded to the fact that the Champs Elises is lined with trees, so that the German Army can parade in the shade. One can ask how many Divisions are required to defend Paris? (No one knows, it has never been tried), and one can also ponder the difference between the French Army and a slice of toast - If you spread marmite on toast you can make soldiers, with the French Army you can use as much marmite as you like but it doesn't work!

Still, lovely cheese and cider. Vive La France!!

No Frenchmen were hurt in making this post.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app