Chinese paper calls Julie Bishop a 'complete fool', Australia a country of 'rascals and outlaws'

webfact

Chinese paper calls Julie Bishop a 'complete fool', Australia a country of 'rascals and outlaws'
John Garnaut
ASIA PACIFIC EDITOR FOR FAIRFAX MEDIA

MELBOURNE: -- Australia is an outpost of “rascals and outlaws” that will soon adjust to the shifting realities of power, says a Chinese state-owned newspaper.

“Australia's history is not short of records of human rights infringement on the Aboriginal population,” said the Global Times, China’s most popular tabloid, in an editorial published in the newspaper’s English and Chinese editions today.

“The country used to be a place roamed by rascals and outlaws from Europe,” it said. “Perhaps it has to boast its values to cover up its actual lack of confidence in front of Western countries.”

The newspaper, owned by The People’s Daily, the Communist Party’s self-described "mouthpiece", was responding to comments made by Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop published by Fairfax Media on Thursday.

The Chinese version of the Global Times editorial goes further than the English version, using a Beijing colloquialism to describe Ms Bishop as a “complete fool” and suggesting her government won’t last long.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/chinese-paper-calls-julie-bishop-a-complete-fool-australia-a-country-of-rascals-and-outlaws-20140714-zt6w0.html

[theage]2014-07-14[/theage]

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chinese have a different view of Human Rights.   What is in the collective good of the country trumps any individual or group's rights or freedoms.   So, when the Chinese mistreat a group it is because they deserve to be mistreated.   

During British area authorities send criminal and prostitute from England to colonize Australia. This is a black face of British colonization.

However the British and after Australian  try to deport and exterminate aborigen 

During British area authorities send criminal and prostitute from England to colonize Australia. This is a black face of British colonization.

However the British and after Australian  try to deport and exterminate aborigen 

Actually, the largest single group among the convicts were the chartists, proto-unionists and tradesmen expelled on political/public affray grounds - a much better and tougher lot of poms than those that followed them in the 20th century.

As for prostitutes and thieves, a brief read of the contemporary Dickens would provide an insight into their relationship to poverty

• Like 1

It reminds me of Nazi Germany's propaganda prior to WWII: they insisted that the Jews had a vast conspiracy against them (which they did not) and as a response to the subsequent repression the best Jewish minds moved to the US and built the atom bomb, effectively winning the war for the other side, and then got their Jewish state.

PRC imagines itself surrounded by enemies ready to humiliate it (google to read about their "century of humiliations" propaganda). Actually this is not true as almost every country is welcoming to the decent and smart of the Chinese. In fact this behavior is fomenting a coalition of nations surrounding it (India, Myanmar, Vietnam, Japan, PH for starters).and they will be paying for this in blood and pink maos for many decades.

• Like 1

They didn't get sent to 'colonize' the place so much as to get rid of them in the homeland.

• Like 1

I think maybe China just a tad a bit angry at Australia because of the build up of American military and Australia's military, esp. naval. China has been rattling the sword quite a bit lately and shows no sign of stopping it's advances. Hey, my dog never owned a gun but was quite good at getting the ducks I shot with one of my many shotguns. I had a lot of rifles, pistols, semi-auto military type also. I can find Australia, always have been able too, but back in my day we got an education. Lots of folks 'visited' Australia on R&R while on a paid vacation in sunny Vietnam courtesy Uncle Sam, not me, I like Asian women, went to Hong Kong. Great people, great warriors and for me personally some good friends.

China is a bit miffed that Oz has just hosted the Japanese PM and that we refer to them as out best friend in Asia.

I spent a lot of time in China and know many Chinese middle class who would love to leave, and move to Oz..

• Like 1

The veiled threats from an anonymous but authorized Chinese CP outlet are a well-known party piece these days, not just in Australia.

The Chinese CP, of course, blanks out its own history when inconvenient to have it mentioned. eg Great Leap Forward and even more recent events. Nasty hypocrites.

Edited by SheungWan