did air asia make the right decision by moving to DM airport

All comes down to Money, the landing fees are a lot cheaper, and there is plenty of Slots for,them so they can pick and choose and have the monopoly, personally I prefer Don Mueang to Swampy , I find it disorganised and chaotic....

Agree plenty of slots. The only thing I can't figure out is why on every flight I have been on, plenty of empty jet ways for disembarking but they park the plane at one end of the airport, and you take a bus to the other end.

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe people moaning about transfer between the two airports. Using the free bus that leaves at 30 minute intervals is much easier than a long stop-over waiting for a connecting flight.

But you are NOT allowed to use the shuttle returning from a flight.

Can't believe people moaning about transfer between the two airports. Using the free bus that leaves at 30 minute intervals is much easier than a long stop-over waiting for a connecting flight.

But you are NOT allowed to use the shuttle returning from a flight.

I used it for the first time in years last week. It reminded me of what an awful place it was and why I always disliked it. Old design, terrible check-in, parking was just a total nightmare. Granted once you've got through immigration it's not too bad with places to eat and drink but overall it is still a dump just as it used to be.

• Like 1

We all have our own situations. I fly regularly CM to DM and return, either AirAsia or NokAir.

For me DM is super convenient.

on Arrival at DM I'm In a taxi very quickly and at my university within 10 or 12 minutes. Same timing to get back to DM.

• Like 1

Because it's a pain in the ass..........coffee1.gif

Thought they were told to move there....sad.png

That is right, all domestic flights have to take off and arrive at DM. As most of the flights of Air Asia are domestic, logically the international flights have moved to DMK as well. The only carrier flying domestic from and to BKK is the national carrier Thai Airways.

If they would have built the third runway (have a google earth look, you will see it) and a second terminal there would be no need for two airports and no one would need to get their schedules -up and travel 50kms between two airports

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That is your solution. How much education and experience do you have in civil engineering and airport design?

BTW- you are off topic.

They must have lost a lot of customers. I for one will never fly with them again as it is too difficult to get to and from Don Meung.

True that. I for one am a frequent flyer to Malaysia and only wish to leave from Swampy. Don is just too far. Malaysian Airways is often cheaper than Air Asia and they also arrive at a better terminal in KL.

I use DMK once or twice a month and I love it. I am an early morning flier so have not had to contend with the traffic others have mentioned. I don't check bags and do on-line check-in so I walk right to the gate. Security is a breeze. I find that flights are more on-time here than at BKK. I prefer Nok Air to Air Asia because they have an easier website and I have never had to do the bus-gate procedure with Nok. The prices at the concessions are silly, but isn't that true at every airport in the world? I am usually in a taxi within 15 minutes of touch down, and I can't say that about many airports. I'm a supporter! clap2.gif

Doing 10-12 roundtrips per year from KL I was not happy when I heard of the move. I found it very convenient to just hop on the ARL, change to skytrain at Piya Thai and then just walk straight into the building at Chid Lom where my clients are.

What I didn't realise then was that DM is so much smaller and faster to get thru compared to Suvarnabhumi that I can easily take the extra hassle with the A1 bus from DM to Mo Chit.

My record (without luggage) from the time I exit the plane to the time I was sitting in the A1 bus is currently 4.5 minutes. At Suvarnabhumi I wouldn't even be halfway to one of the immigration halls in that time.

So arriving I always take the bus & skytrain. Going back I usually take a taxi from my condo in On Nut. That is usually cheaper than trying to get a cab at Mo Chit, the w*nkers there wants 400-500 baht !!!!

It's a headache when arriving at BKK in the late afternoon and having to get to DMK during rush hour.

Use the airport link...it's a brilliant ride and connects to.....ah, bugger all. There isn't actually an airport link in the true sense of the word. Nevermind, Makkasan is a wonderful crap hole that's the perfect site to link to....[fill in the blank - if you can actually get anywhere.]

If they would have built the third runway (have a google earth look, you will see it) and a second terminal there would be no need for two airports and no one would need to get their schedules <deleted>-up and travel 50kms between two airports

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Even if they built that 3rd runway they would still have 2 airports.... If its such a big deal plan your flights around a carrier that doesnt fly there. Coming from Phuket I take Bangkok air so I can take the Airport Express train into the city and not have to worry about arrangements at DM. I only use Air Asia to Bangkok as a last resort but flying to KL now is amazing now that they are in the new KLIA2 terminal. You just have to put up with those tiny asian seat spacing.

Smart move, I think, lower costs mean lower fares. Scoot are moving there from September. I think the government want all LCCs to operate from there eventually.

WOW ... I had to check this out.

Muck of the chatter was that they were moving in May ... but the latest is "Scoot will start using Don Muang Airport from 1st September. Flight still arriving at 7PM from Singapore."

That quote is from another website and not officially from Scoot.

Scoot used to code share with Tiger Airlines on some flights so I wonder if that has gone by the wayside?

Scoot website only show destinations that they serve. Also shows BKK for bookings prior to Sept. 1 and DMK for dates thereafter.

This move will also tie in with the NokScoot operation when it 'gets off the ground' (so to speak!).

• Like 1

They was asked to move and negotiated cheaper costs with the government. DM is also supposed to get a major upgrade which should improve facilities. I think in the longer term AA want to make DM a hub for their SEA flights. At present KL serve this purpose but with Malaysia air cutting back on routes it is limiting AA's growth plans.

I live on Lamlukka so Im very happy as i fly AA at least once a month . Downside is parking is terrible, if youre driving obviously but the guy who said 50km from Swampy to DM ?? Its 40 if you go the quick way around the outer ring road, along Lamlukka then south on Vibawadi Rangsit road. Also agree that it annoys me i have to use a bus from gate so often when there are so many air bridges available.

If youre going north, or to Swampy, walk oout of DM, cross the footbridge and there are always taxis waiting in a bus layby on the northbound, or simply catch a 554 or 555 bus southbound side straight to Swampy for 32B !

The airport link is supposedly going to link straight through to DM in 3 years so even easier then.

Oh and there's no smoking in domestic departures airside, but if you want a fag, simply go out and come back in again, security is always so quick its no problem.....

Last thing, there is also a 7/11 airside in Domestic so cheap coffee for us tight wads.....

Sorted ;-)

It's a lousy airline. Never would they get away with their pricing tricks in the modern world. You get charged a fee to be able to pay. Pay to pay... try to purchase extra luggage online, system doesn't work go to the airport and they charge you 3 times more.

Cheaters they are!

I hate this airline and only take them if there is no alternative.

• Like 1

Air Asia at DM is great...if web check-in and print boarding passes at home and no checked bags can go straight to immigration, where there is almost never a line for departure (can be on arrival) and there's a Fuji (none at Swampy) without outrageous prices and a MickeyDs for the kids and Starbucks, s&p or black canyon for a cuppa. What's not to like?

100% agree.

Plus to the guys saying DM is hard to get to..... no idea where you are trying to get to it from, but a taxi from where I live in Bangkok to DM is no different to a taxi to Suvarnabhumi. Either airport is easy to get to and from.

I prefer DM though as it's less busy.

I have to say ... I'm also a DM Fan.

Soooooooooo fast to get out of.

Baggage is ready when I arrive.

Immigration fast (ish).

A member wrote that they had to wait up to 30 mins for a Taxi ... never my experience.

The other bit I like is that while you are waiting for your plane, prior to take-off you have a full(ish) view of the Airport Apron.

They must have lost a lot of customers. I for one will never fly with them again as it is too difficult to get to and from Don Meung.

I think they may have gained as many customers as they lost. Air Asia at DM works great for me.

• Like 1

That is right, all domestic flights have to take off and arrive at DM. As most of the flights of Air Asia are domestic, logically the international flights have moved to DMK as well. The only carrier flying domestic from and to BKK is the national carrier Thai Airways.

I don't think so.

All of Bangkok Airways domestic flights are in/out of BKK too.

Air Asia was "told" to move to DMK but then negotiated a deal. If they could have negotiated a better deal at BKK they would have stayed there.

Wrong! It's not all domestic flights. All budget airlines were told to relocate to DM.

It's a lousy airline. Never would they get away with their pricing tricks in the modern world. You get charged a fee to be able to pay. Pay to pay... try to purchase extra luggage online, system doesn't work go to the airport and they charge you 3 times more.

Cheaters they are!

I hate this airline and only take them if there is no alternative.

You clearly don't seem to to understand the rules.

Take time to learn their system and you will not have any issues - I never have in 25+ flights

I have used DM on numerous occasions & park in T2 carpark, walk along a designated walkway to check in (T2 being upgraded).

Both check in, immigration in & out quicker, more efficient, carpark ticket pay for at machine, on my way (260bht for 24hrs).

DM great idea to reopen & takes the pressure off Swampy.

In saying that not too bad at Swampy either except immigration slow (sometimes) but imagine if DM not open: Lordee, Lordee!!!!