No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

Ok, that's good. And that's in any immigration office in Thailand ?

Yes it is, I confirmed this prior to getting mine as I don't live in Bangkok, I live in Hua Hin.

I'm sure some of the immigration offices won't be familiar with this visa but they will be able to find out by getting on the phone to HQ in Bangkok.

Thanks. I'll copy this over to the TE thread.

• Like 1

I think it is confirmed by information at Chong Chom today. ONE visa run only.

You go out and come back in you get "O-I" marked on the entry stamp. This suggests that you can come in for 30 days, go out/turn round and get another 30 days (if you are from a G7 country).

That is it.

Frankly, that is more than sufficient for the casual visitor/tourist.

As for under 50's not working, then marriage is the only option for a longer stay.

So are you stating visa tourists have been abolished completely ?

30+30 days is the maximum, so single entry tourist visa don't exist anymore according of what you are saying.

very clear.

The more this post goes on, the less clear it becomes.

We are not even sure if tourist visas will exist anymore.

Actually it would be 60+30 days in case you obtain a tourist visa before "entering" the country, but yes if you just get visa at arrival it will be 30+30, is we can rely on the O-I stamp statement.

and what about double visas ? what about extensions ? are they still valid ?

Because 90 days in and 90 days out , it would contrast with a double visa. My plan in double visa, 2 months in Thailand (or 3 with one extension), an holiday in Australia (7-10 days), 2 more months in Thailand with the second entry.

This would sum more than 90 days in total, but it has always be possible until now.

I just want to know if it will be possible after 12 August.

I honestly don't know, i guess we will have to wait till we know more. But i don't think in that case it will be considered a border run and become an issue. But the problem is right now is that many things are a bit unclear, specially because we don't know the exact guidelines the officers at pass control have to follow when it comes to this. I think the best you can do and should do, is to talk with those where you want to apply for the visa.

Lets say that the O-I stamp statement is correct, that those with O-I stamp in pass will be rejected, then in your case, you wouldn't get O-I stamp before you return from Australia, and it would first be at next entrance it should be an issue.

But i would still talk with some officer who actually work with this, and not rely too much on "guesswork".

no you are shiting around dude

thats a job for the consulate,not for the guard..i mean its like that almost everywhere in the world...maybe they are keeping to do that to take the 2000 baht from tourists as long they can?

dont you feel bad when your government takes money for services which does not provide?or thats funny to you because farang is evil?

just saying the thai elite visa service proved you that half of your blubbering does not make any sense

? but let me try...

All countries work the same my friend, so no point in preaching here. A visa does not guarantee you entry to any country. But you live on with that dream...

My government? You think I am Thai? I think "farang are evil"? How old are you? Twelve?

Well half of my blubbering at least makes sense - none of yours does.

Are you sure it's not kaobong? xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png

so what visa services at embassies are for???????????that can be done at airports

Don't edit my post out - are you embarrassed?

How about you go and tell the embassies and consulates and border staff how to do their jobs? You are wasting everyone's time here with childish bleating and complaining.

bah.gif

look funny boys you and lost in paradise and few others just have a look around there are new fathers or soon fathers who are worried about their visa they have to deal with this unbeliavable mess.... at least have some respect for them they are not legal or illegal they are in deep sheet because the country where they lived suddenly changed policy..just have a look at the threads around.

Edited by kaobang

bah.gif

look funny boys you and few others just have a look around there are new fathers or soon fathers who are worried about their visa they have to deal with this unbeliavable mess.... at least have some respect for them they are not legal or illegal they are in deep sheet because the country where they lived suddenly changed policy..just have a look at the threads around.

You have fun with your live and don't worry about ours

You lost my respect 2 posts ago (and No wonder a moderator removed it)

bah.gif

look funny boys you and lost in paradise and few others just have a look around there are new fathers or soon fathers who are worried about their visa they have to deal with this unbeliavable mess.... at least have some respect for them they are not legal or illegal they are in deep sheet because the country where they lived suddenly changed policy..just have a look at the threads around.

Dependent visa

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"Retirees, seasonal business owners, etc. who spend their winters in Thailand and could be hassled with all their tourist stamps need a non-imm visa.? What category? It's not F, B, ED, IM or even O.

If they are coming for recreational and leisure activities with no intention to work the proper visa is.... Tourist."

So a Multiple entry Non-Imm O Visa for "Visiting Thailand as a UK pensioner receiving a UK State Pension" which my wife and I have used for the past few years for our 5 month stay, which is entirely for recreational and leisure activities, in Khao Lak and which we comply with the terms stated on the Royal Thai Consulate and Royal Thai Embassy Application Forms "With multiple entry visa it is necessary to visit a Thai Immigration Border Control Office before your 90-day stay expires, exit Thailand into a neighbouring country and re-enter to activate your next 90-day stay" you are saying is NOT a "proper visa."

As we are going to Australia for two weeks in the middle of our stay next February we had intended to obtain 60 day x 3 Tourist Visas and go to Ranong and cross to the Andaman Club Resort and back, possibly after a night or two stay there (as we did last year with our Non-Imm visas bit with no overnight stay and no problem)to activate the second entry, the third being on return from Australia or do the same with Non-Imm O visas again. Given that there is currently doubt about the 60 day Tourist Visa renewals on a short turn around basis, I thought the safest option would be the Non-Imm O's again. Now someone is claiming that is not appropriate even though the Application rules to which we completely comply in terms of financial requirements clearly state it is an entirely correct visa in our circumstances.

Thank goodness there are up to four months before we need obtain our visas for the 12th August rules to come into force and the current mess and knee-jerk reactions to it to be cleared up. The people I feel sorry for are the holders of genuine visas that were applied for and issued in good faith based on valid reasons and are currently caught up and tarred by the same brush as those who have been abusing the Immigration and Employment rules and regulations that these measures are supposedly aimed at.

Edited by Arandora
  • Like 1

bah.gif

look funny boys you and few others just have a look around there are new fathers or soon fathers who are worried about their visa they have to deal with this unbeliavable mess.... at least have some respect for them they are not legal or illegal they are in deep sheet because the country where they lived suddenly changed policy..just have a look at the threads around.

New fathers or soon to be fathers should do the right things and get a proper visa. Anything else would be irresponsible, because tourist visa is not for living here, easy as that. I know it's not always easy to get proper visa, trust me i've been through this whole system, because i am a father. But as a parent you have a responsibility, and you cannot blame the country for making it more difficult to stay here long term in tourist visa, to try to actually get rid of some problems.

It's always easy to blame the system, but the responsibility is the parents, and it would be the proper thing to do, to get a non-immigration visa in such case.

if it's the country where they lived, tourist visa is clearly not made for their purpose.

Edited by Iumentum

Seems that the authorities want tourists to arrive on tourist visas......spend 60 to 90 days here, and lots of money, then go home or somewhere else......and see you again next year. If you want to stay full time then get a non O. All others are not welcome. A real bummer for some like those with girlfriends here but too young or cash shy to be able to stay. It's a wake up call to all that the whip could come down on all of us in the future.

"Now, those on a visa run who are allowed back in will find an "O-I" (Out-In) mark next to their latest stamp marking entry. From August 13, nobody with an O-I sign on their passport will be allowed to re-enter Thailand if they cannot produce a proper visa."

How did everybody miss this?

If a genuine tourist on a long stay gets a O-I sign in their passport how long are they not allowed to enter for?

And what is the "proper visa" next time they want to come in if they are under 50 and not working?

sorry but such an important decision, and all is given is a vague statement in The Nation is shambolic.

You go out and come back in you get "O-I" marked on the entry stamp. This suggests that you can come in for 30 days, go out/turn round and get another 30 days (if you are from a G7 country).

That is it.

As for under 50's not working, then marriage is the only option for a longer stay.

Not it isn't at all. All the young backpackers go out and in multiple times. Now a young group of aussies who just finished high school and want to spend some time travelling SEA are <deleted>. They can't fly into BKK, pop over to Siem Reap, come back Thailand, head up to Laos, etc.

They will get marked O/I and have their travel severely limited.

Thailand is going to lose big here. One of the reasons Thailand is so successful for tourism is because it is the hub for traveling around SEA. If tourists can no longer access a travel hub, then it will cease to be one. This could shack things up in a big way for genuine tourists.

• Like 2

Seems that the authorities want tourists to arrive on tourist visas......spend 60 to 90 days here, and lots of money, then go home or somewhere else......and see you again next year. If you want to stay full time then get a non O. All others are not welcome. A real bummer for some like those with girlfriends here but too young or cash shy to be able to stay. It's a wake up call to all that the whip could come down on all of us in the future.

Many tourists spend their winter months here or come in and out several times a year, rent villas, etc. without having a girlfriend.

The authorities cast a very fine net to catch the odd illegal worker on a tourist visa (Burmese, Cambodians just overstay, Farang Bars/Restaurant it's mostly non-o). They might be surprised by the ripple effect in the condo market and other areas.

• Like 1

"Retirees, seasonal business owners, etc. who spend their winters in Thailand and could be hassled with all their tourist stamps need a non-imm visa.? What category? It's not F, B, ED, IM or even O. If they are coming for recreational and leisure activities with no intention to work the proper visa is.... Tourist." So a Multiple entry Non-Imm O Visa for "Visiting Thailand as a UK pensioner receiving a UK State Pension" which my wife and I have used for the past few years for our 5 month stay, which is entirely for recreational and leisure activities, in Khao Lak and which we comply with the terms stated on the Royal Thai Consulate and Royal Thai Embassy Application Forms "With multiple entry visa it is necessary to visit a Thai Immigration Border Control Office before your 90-day stay expires, exit Thailand into a neighbouring country and re-enter to activate your next 90-day stay" you are saying is NOT a "proper visa." As we are going to Australia for two weeks in the middle of our stay next February we had intended to obtain 60 day x 3 Tourist Visas and go to Ranong and cross to the Andaman Club Resort and back, possibly after a night or two stay there (as we did last year with our Non-Imm visas bit with no overnight stay and no problem)to activate the second entry, the third being on return from Australia or do the same with Non-Imm O visas again. Given that there is currently doubt about the 60 day Tourist Visa renewals on a short turn around basis, I thought the safest option would be the Non-Imm O's again. Now someone is claiming that is not appropriate even though the Application rules to which we completely comply in terms of financial requirements clearly state it is an entirely correct visa in our circumstances. Thank goodness there are up to four months before we need obtain our visas for the 12th August rules to come into force and the current mess and knee-jerk reactions to it to be cleared up. The people I feel sorry for are the holders of genuine visas that were applied for and issued in good faith based on valid reasons and are currently caught up and tarred by the same brush as those who have been abusing the Immigration and Employment rules and regulations that these measures are supposedly aimed at.

It is pathetic that they require you to do a now banned visa run half way through your winter holiday, especially as they're attempting to stop people doing visa runs.

Genuine tourists have in the past done visa runs to complete winter holidays over 90 days long.

A new longer type of tourist visa for winter holidays sounds like a good idea to me now they've banned visa runs effectively limiting winter vacations to 90 days.

I suggest you simply write to the TAT and let them know about this problem. The TAT have some influence in Thailand, let them know of this new issue.

if that was the case they wouldnt offer triple entry visas

and what about double visas ? what about extensions ? are they still valid ?

Because 90 days in and 90 days out , it would contrast with a double visa. My plan in double visa, 2 months in Thailand (or 3 with one extension), an holiday in Australia (7-10 days), 2 more months in Thailand with the second entry.

This would sum more than 90 days in total, but it has always be possible until now.

I just want to know if it will be possible after 12 August.

I agree it would be very interesting to know how the authorities gonna handle double and even more the triple entry tourist visa.

and also how any 30 day extension on top of the 60 days per entry allowance will be seen.

its easy to exceed 90 days in 6 months with triple entry visa and 30 day extensions in between

I am currently on a triple entry visa myself (issued in my home country) and on my second entry. No back to back tourist visa history and empty passport.

Came back from a short Malaysia stay last week by air without any issues. I plan to extend this entry at Cheng Wattana by another 30 days.

Then travel on to Japan for 10~14 days and visit Thailand again afterwards for another 60 days + 30 day extension until January.

(first entry was for 40days, my current second entry planned for 60 + 30 days ext, and third entry 60 + 30 days ext)

Should I expect any trouble and also because I will go over 90 days in 6 months ?

Although I have a legit triple entry tourist visa (180 days valid) issued in my home country?

I am worried that my longterm SEA travel plans are now getting torpedoed by this sort of chaotic visa clamp down

It seems for now nobody knows anything and even authorities statements are rather vague.

thanks in advance for any helpful advise

cheers

Why not, it would still be useful for backpackers who want to travel around southeast asia for 6 months or so, and use Thailand for place to enter, exit and connection place between destinations.

Thailand is going to lose big here. One of the reasons Thailand is so successful for tourism is because it is the hub for traveling around SEA. If tourists can no longer access a travel hub, then it will cease to be one. This could shack things up in a big way for genuine tourists.

But what's the alternative ? Singapore ? Kuala Lumpur ? I mean you need to have a decent airport to be a hub, Singapore is too expensive (and boring), KL .. maybe ?

Not it isn't at all. All the young backpackers go out and in multiple times. Now a young group of aussies who just finished high school and want to spend some time travelling SEA are <deleted>. They can't fly into BKK, pop over to Siem Reap, come back Thailand, head up to Laos, etc.

yes and it's not only backpackers.

I run a business, pay taxes, have a work permit, but when I first came here I was a tourist. Tourist visas allow people to just enjoy themselves, visit properly and learn the culture for a while. Unless you are a moron who's going to marry the first bar girl he comes across you can't do that in 60 days.

Edited by firestar
  • Like 1

Why not, it would still be useful for backpackers who want to travel around southeast asia for 6 months or so, and use Thailand for place to enter, exit and connection place between destinations.

and how long between entries will be enough?

Double entry tourist visa will give 6-months ... how many people under retirement age go on vacation longer than 6-months? For that matter even more than 3-months for a single tourist visa?

Many do, I am myself. What's it to you if someone under 50 can afford to take a year or two vacation?

I'm not working here, I have spent plenty of time in neighbouring countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, China- up to three months at a time), I have no problem if there is a rule that I have to stay out of Thailand for a certain period before coming back, I'm not working so I don't particularly need to be here and can find something to do or see somewhere else. The issue is that there is no clarity on what the rules are.

Actually many do NOT. And those under 50 looking to stay in a foreign country for more than 6 months are RARELY ever a tourist and should get a proper visa. Do many western countries let people stay for more than 6-months on a tourist visa?

There are easy to get visas for Thailand including tourist, education, retirement, business and family visiting visas available ... simple rule, get the right one and don't abuse the fact they allow many people to enter on a Visa Exempt Status or that you can get a tourist visa within 24-hours fairly simply.

• Like 1

"Now, those on a visa run who are allowed back in will find an "O-I" (Out-In) mark next to their latest stamp marking entry. From August 13, nobody with an O-I sign on their passport will be allowed to re-enter Thailand if they cannot produce a proper visa."

How did everybody miss this?

If a genuine tourist on a long stay gets a O-I sign in their passport how long are they not allowed to enter for?

And what is the "proper visa" next time they want to come in if they are under 50 and not working?

sorry but such an important decision, and all is given is a vague statement in The Nation is shambolic.

That is it.

very sorry for them

i just wish the funny guys here work in the hospitality industry and in the long term they will loose their jobs

som nam naa

Edited by kaobang

No genuine tourist stays more than 6 months. Fair enough.

Except that is not the rule. There is PLENTY of tourists who use their double entry visa within the space of a month, they are traveling, TOURISTS.

Arrive in Thailand, go out for a couple of days to KL, that's it, your done. want to visit Singapore, Vietnam, Loas... you need another tourist visa or an exempt.

The rule should be a number of days per rolling 12 month period, but it isn't. It just vague and open to interpretation.

Does this story on visas even belong on this website????!!!!! errr, ahhh, do dah...

ok, ok......who wants my condo for 80% off?????? first month free!!!!!

I will speak thai and give them a quick 400 baht......

I am 5 ft 2, 210 lbs (but all muscle!!!) and 76 years young...I will find a nice wife no problem!!!!

I can't wait to go back to Thailand after all those backpackers are gone!!!!

Can't wait to buy a new backpack.......huh? what? :)

Double entry tourist visa will give 6-months ... how many people under retirement age go on vacation longer than 6-months? For that matter even more than 3-months for a single tourist visa?

Many do, I am myself. What's it to you if someone under 50 can afford to take a year or two vacation?

I'm not working here, I have spent plenty of time in neighbouring countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, China- up to three months at a time), I have no problem if there is a rule that I have to stay out of Thailand for a certain period before coming back, I'm not working so I don't particularly need to be here and can find something to do or see somewhere else. The issue is that there is no clarity on what the rules are.

Actually many do NOT. And those under 50 looking to stay in a foreign country for more than 6 months are RARELY ever a tourist and should get a proper visa. Do many western countries let people stay for more than 6-months on a tourist visa?

There are easy to get visas for Thailand including tourist, education, retirement, business and family visiting visas available ... simple rule, get the right one and don't abuse the fact they allow many people to enter on a Visa Exempt Status or that you can get a tourist visa within 24-hours fairly simply.

And what if the junta abolished the retirement visa in the morning, you'd be OK with that? What if they required $1m for that visa, get rid of the trash?

A lot of people are going to lose a lot. Including Thais. This is baby with bath water on steroids. Too inflexible and done too fast. It would be OK if there were now easier "real" visas, work permits, including legalization of online freelancing, etc. But there is not. On the condo market, no kidding, this is really bad for places like Pattaya. Cause and effect clearly not well considered on this one.

I disagree, many of us have been saying for years, that if you want to stay in Thailand, get the appropriate visa. People just dismissed it, now many are reaping the results. Not like they weren't warned that the Thai's would lose their patience. As to timing? Gee, I don't know, considering how long they have been issuing red stamps at surrounding Consulates, I think I would have gotten a hint by now.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 1

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Seems pretty clear to me.

But does that include double or triple entry visas issued in home country which are not back to back? Ive been coming to relax for 180 days every Winter for the last 8 years. The only work I do is in the bedroom. I do go out and straight back in sometimes. Will I be regarded as a 'visa runner'? Is there any way Thaivisa.com can seek clarification on this please, or request our embassies to get this clarified on behalf of their citizens? Im sure they are best placed to point out the inconsistency of issuing multiple entry tourist visas if they are not accepted for re-entry. After all the 2nd or 3rd entry is: "for the purpose of extending their stay". If out/in is banned and we must stay out, then surely we should be told for how long. Luckily my passport is only 1 yr old so only shows my triple entry for last Winter, only one entry of which was an out/in.

I am in your same situation.

I am a seasonal tourist, i can say respected in Thailand by Thais. Never had problems.

I just want to be sure I can do the same next winter (dry season in Thailand), with a double visa 60 days +eventually 1 extention , go to Australia for a short holiday, go back to Thailand for two more months using the second entry and eventually an extention and...go back home ...

My proper visa is defintely and can only be a tourist visa.

I think I shouldn t have any problem, but I bloody hate the lack of clear rules.

Anyway, starting from 12 August, let's check Thaivisa for the first witnesses about what it is happening.

I think you will be safe as you as you clearly will be spending time outside Thailand in Australia and not even a neighbouring country between entries. This cannot be interpreted as a 'visa run'. Good luck!

and how long between entries will be enough?

Don't ask me that, since it seems there isn't any clear guidelines for that, and i am not the one is will be standing in pass controls and uphold the law. I hope there will be some more clear guidelines though, but i think it's on purpose there isn't a specific amount of days written, because it would just make the visa runner able to continue to do their thing.

No genuine tourist stays more than 6 months. Fair enough.

Except that is not the rule. There is PLENTY of tourists who use their double entry visa within the space of a month, they are traveling, TOURISTS.

Arrive in Thailand, go out for a couple of days to KL, that's it, your done. want to visit Singapore, Vietnam, Loas... you need another tourist visa or an exempt.

The rule should be a number of days per rolling 12 month period, but it isn't. It just vague and open to interpretation.

No, you do not (need another tourist visa or exempt entry...). A single-entry with a re-entry permit would accomplish the same thing in such as a case. No reason to have a double-entry visa if you're going to use both entries within the space of a month, and so your statement that "PLENTY of tourists" do that is hogwash.

Most tourists have onward or return travel documentation. Produce this and I imagine you will have no problems. 28 day on/off workers also have onward documentation and payslips, so I see no problem. When the dust has settled those with legitimate multi-entry tourist visas will have no problem. Those that will have the problem are the visa runners abusing the 28 day tourist visa exemption scheme. Well hard luck boys and girls, get legitimate!

I agree with this.

Come with a triple entry,return flight,bank statement and stay 60 days.

Leave to another country for xx days and come back for the next 60 days.

Repeat again for 60 days then go home.(Using a double TR and extending both COULD cause problems when using the 2nd entry.maybe maybe not as this is allowed)

This will not be back to back as it is just 1 visa.

However if you had 3 or more 28 days exempts(back to back),then tried to get a double TR and came back they probably would refuse entry.

If you used a triple or double,and then went to get another (back to back) and came back they probably would refuse entry.

The main crackdown seems to be multiple 28 day exempts back to back,and back to back TR's.(understandable)

Speculation and mis-translation is not helping the situation.

I think you may be right, as it makes the most sense. This is what I also have been anticipating as well.. However, if someone was already allowed entry on a Single-entry Tourist Visa...would they still be allowed to extend that visa 30 more days at immigration? It would guess they would be allowed to, as the crackdown seems to be directed at people that are still trying to obtain Tourist Visas after August 12th when they have back-to-back Tour visas anywhere in their passport..any ideas on the 30-day extensions of Tour Visas at immigration?