No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

... They stayed with two back to back tourist visas. Retirement visas are not an option, they are not retiring in Thailand. They are tourists enjoying winter months in the sun.

As Immigration said "If they are genuine tourists that's fine". No problem.

They can just get one of those 6 month seasonal tourist visas which don't exist.

Either a new seasonal visa is introduced or they will be forced to do a 'visa run'. Visa run is now banned so seasonal tourists who want to stay for a full winter are now banned.

Nothing states that visa run is banned completely. Continuously visa runs and people with a long history of visa runs are those this scheme is aimed for.

What is " continious" and what is " long " ?

• Like 1

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Seems pretty clear to me.

It doesn t seem clear to me.

Immediately ?

Those guys had their visas issued at penang, so they had definitely spend a couple of nights in malaysia, than return with their LEGITIMATE tourist visa.

2 days is not immediately.

What immediately suppose to mean here ?

Can't they give us a specific time ?

• Like 2

Proper visa is a non-immigrant visa, which is possible to get for 90, also for people without thai wife, thai child or retirement.

I know several young people who obtained non-immigrant visa outside Thailand, then after entering Thailand applying for work permit and so on.

Are they really work or just abuse the visa system ?

Most tourists have onward or return travel documentation. Produce this and I imagine you will have no problems. 28 day on/off workers also have onward documentation and payslips, so I see no problem. When the dust has settled those with legitimate multi-entry tourist visas will have no problem. Those that will have the problem are the visa runners abusing the 28 day tourist visa exemption scheme. Well hard luck boys and girls, get legitimate!

I agree with this.

Come with a triple entry,return flight,bank statement and stay 60 days.

Leave to another country for xx days and come back for the next 60 days.

Repeat again for 60 days then go home.(Using a double TR and extending both COULD cause problems when using the 2nd entry.maybe maybe not as this is allowed)

This will not be back to back as it is just 1 visa.

However if you had 3 or more 28 days exempts(back to back),then tried to get a double TR and came back they probably would refuse entry.

If you used a triple or double,and then went to get another (back to back) and came back they probably would refuse entry.

The main crackdown seems to be multiple 28 day exempts back to back,and back to back TR's.(understandable)

Speculation and mis-translation is not helping the situation.

I think you may be right, as it makes the most sense. This is what I also have been anticipating as well.. However, if someone was already allowed entry on a Single-entry Tourist Visa...would they still be allowed to extend that visa 30 more days at immigration? It would guess they would be allowed to, as the crackdown seems to be directed at people that are still trying to obtain Tourist Visas after August 12th when they have back-to-back Tour visas anywhere in their passport..any ideas on the 30-day extensions of Tour Visas at immigration?

Nothing has been stated officially about extensions,only back to back types.I can't see them abolishing extensions at the moment as that is a big income.On the consulate websites it states that extensions are allowed.

• Like 1

Maybe this will also keep out some of the criminals hiding here on in/out visa's or to worried to apply in their own country through the correct process.

Criminals hide without any visa or visarun... I saw a few people overstaying already 7-10 YEARS.... also the secretary at the embassy moaned why to hassle the tourists, the criminals will anyway to hide without any visas...

• Like 1

Criminals hide without any visa or visarun... I saw a few people overstaying already 7-10 YEARS.... also the secretary at the embassy moaned why to hassle the tourists, the criminals will anyway to hide without any visas...

And how will they do when exiting Thailand ?

They will get one of new "ban" for 5 or 10years ?

They may not appreciate that and decide to change of country :-)

And say a nice Korean Aunty has been doing visa runs for years (whilst running a busy restaurant at Suk12). Why wouldn't she get the Elite card, visa worries solved. The real issue is the fat brown envelopes now isn't it?

And how will they do when exiting Thailand ?

They will get one of new "ban" for 5 or 10years ?

They may not appreciate that and decide to change of country :-)

Before this circus it wasn't a problem... now it is... however really easy to change your name and your passport... some thei bargirls do it for years when they are banned from HKG or Singapoore... believe me, people with hidden agendas ( criminals ) will solve easily this storm in the teacup... we, who try to be legal, we sucks....

Looks like a lot of foreigners are either leaving or will have to get married, have a child or get a retirement visa.

condos will be selling for peanuts soon

if you have one to sell inbox me

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Your right,just get the right visa no probs,ive been doing it for 18 years all legal on a non o visa being married to a Thai and working abroad,never had a problem.

Your right,just get the right visa no probs,ive been doing it for 18 years all legal on a non o visa being married to a Thai and working abroad,never had a problem.

what is the right visa for under 50 and single?

All the Thais are doing is enforcing the laws that already have been in place for a long time,but just relaxed,i have lived here for 20 years and had many visas and been legitimate ,its not hard to do,just get the right paperwork and play by the rules,i get my wife a UK visa every year for a holiday there and its a pain in the arse,a visa for Thailand is way easy compared to that.

• Like 1

All the Thais are doing is enforcing the laws that already have been in place for a long time,but just relaxed,i have lived here for 20 years and had many visas and been legitimate ,its not hard to do,just get the right paperwork and play by the rules,i get my wife a UK visa every year for a holiday there and its a pain in the arse,a visa for Thailand is way easy compared to that.

what is the right paperwork for under 50 and single?

Money and lots of it.

• Like 1

Money and lots of it.

exactly. and many young folks who want to be able to live in thailand year after year are not going to be able to do it anymore if they cannot afford the elite card.

iam raj iam from india my visa is over today iam going back to my country after few days on date of coming 18 date i was late bec i join i school so i am trying to get some papers to get its is not came ,if not my school guys say to me come back by carrying 2 month so i can get ed visa i like to know if i go 3 or 4 dasy after my visa end ,when i come can back do i face any prob at immigration bec iam late i mean over stay for 3 or 4 days ,can if i back to my country and get my visa come back by one week do i face any prob at immigration ?

Money and lots of it.

exactly. and many young folks who want to be able to live in thailand year after year are not going to be able to do it anymore if they cannot afford the elite card.

you dont need an elite card,im on a non o marriage visa been married for 17 years and if your under 50 and single consult immigration,not that hard.

What laws ? No any laws changed....and no any illegal moves were allowed beforehand.... or am I mistaken ?

Please citate the laws are enforced now... without speculation, just the law....

you dont need an elite card,im on a non o marriage visa been married for 17 years and if your under 50 and single consult immigration,not that hard.

so under 50, single and no elite card? and you say immigration can provide a way to stay full time?

so under 50, single and no elite card? and you say immigration can provide a way to stay full time?

Not without getting a job or investing a big chunk of money - much more than the elite card.

Edited by ukrules

iam raj iam from india my visa is over today iam going back to my country after few days on date of coming 18 date i was late bec i join i school so i am trying to get some papers to get its is not came ,if not my school guys say to me come back by carrying 2 month so i can get ed visa i like to know if i go 3 or 4 dasy after my visa end ,when i come can back do i face any prob at immigration bec iam late i mean over stay for 3 or 4 days ,can if i back to my country and get my visa come back by one week do i face any prob at immigration ?

If you're only wating for papers it would be a shame to get an overstay just waiting for paperwork.

Why don't you make the arrangements and payment for the school to mail (EMS, FedEx or DHL express mail perhaps) the paperwork to you in India so you can get the visa back in India before you return without an overstay.

An overstay won't look so good these days and I wouldn't recommend it.

What about my condo ? It's up for sale at 1.8 million. I was expecting to get my return of investment back. After all, I have invested money in this country but I'm still a tourist.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

First thing is, they don't owe anybody, anything. If under 50, get a "B" Visa and get a job, or start a business, get an "ED" Visa and go to school, get an "O" Visa for marriage to a Thai or having a child. Get an extension based on investment. Yea, yea, I hear you, "But I don't want to do any of that". as I said, they don't owe anyone a home.

• Like 1

First thing is, they don't owe anybody, anything. If under 50, get a "B" Visa and get a job, or start a business, get an "ED" Visa and go to school, get an "O" Visa for marriage to a Thai or having a child. Get an extension based on investment. Yea, yea, I hear you, "But I don't want to do any of that". as I said, they don't owe anyone a home.

i was questioning him not complaining. i am not claiming anyone owes me a thing

Too many posters intent on making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Too many posters asking questions that nobody can answer.

Too many posters saying that the sky will fall on Thailand if these measures are implemented.

Too many posters with a lack of perspective.

Very easy. If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than thirty days, get the correct visa.

If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than ninety days, get the correct long-term visa.

here comes the genius

mr easy i want to stay as tourist in thailand for 1 year because i have lot of money to do that

whats my visa?

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

It's your only choice, but, hey, if you have a lot of money................

From the Thailand Elite Card site:

PRIVILEGE ENTRY VISA
To ease your travels to and from Thailand.
Perhaps the most important and attractive benefits attached to THAILAND ELITE Membership are enhanced immigration and visa privileges. Membership confers the right to stay in Thailand with a Privilege Entry Visa as well as extendable 1 year stays without the usual need to leave the country.
Members will be granted a Privilege Entry Visa when applying at any Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate General, or Thai Immigration Bureaus in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.
*This Privilege Entry Visa is subject to the Thai Immigration Bureau’s approval.
So after you've paid for your card, the visa is still subject to Immigration approval. Wonder if there is a refund policy? 555

Too many posters intent on making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Too many posters asking questions that nobody can answer.

Too many posters saying that the sky will fall on Thailand if these measures are implemented.

Too many posters with a lack of perspective.

Very easy. If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than thirty days, get the correct visa.

If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than ninety days, get the correct long-term visa.

here comes the genius

mr easy i want to stay as tourist in thailand for 1 year because i have lot of money to do that

whats my visa?

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

It's your only choice, but, hey, if you have a lot of money................

From the Thailand Elite Card site:

PRIVILEGE ENTRY VISA
To ease your travels to and from Thailand.
Perhaps the most important and attractive benefits attached to THAILAND ELITE Membership are enhanced immigration and visa privileges. Membership confers the right to stay in Thailand with a Privilege Entry Visa as well as extendable 1 year stays without the usual need to leave the country.
Members will be granted a Privilege Entry Visa when applying at any Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate General, or Thai Immigration Bureaus in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.
*This Privilege Entry Visa is subject to the Thai Immigration Bureau’s approval.
So after you've paid for your card, the visa is still subject to Immigration approval. Wonder if there is a refund policy? 555

Completely wrong. You need to apply for the membership and be approved before you make any payment to them.

Once my application was approved I paid the membership fee and made an appointment to have the visa inserted into my passport at Chaeng Wattana.

• Like 1

So...just to be clear. If I am from the USA on a 90 day tourist visa, I will have to leave for how long before I come back? I have no problem staying in Siem Reap for a few months. Is it 90 in 90 out? Kicking myself for not getting the 1 year student visa.