Hilux, petrol or diesel?

krisb

On paper the Thai 2.7 petrol is a slug. We don't have the 4 lt jobby here so can't comment.

Maybe in the heavy Fortuner, but not in the pickup truck. I had the TOT boys in my place installing some line and I had a spin in one their orange trucks. Its no slug.

It seems they have upped the HP on the late petrol 2.7. My quote was based on 140+HP (around that), it is now 160hp. So the older 2.7 will be low hp.

PS. The Aus 4.0 V6 petrol is 230+HP. thumbsup.gif

And the supercharged version 300 + hp.

• Like 1

On paper the Thai 2.7 petrol is a slug. We don't have the 4 lt jobby here so can't comment.

Maybe in the heavy Fortuner, but not in the pickup truck. I had the TOT boys in my place installing some line and I had a spin in one their orange trucks. Its no slug.

It seems they have upped the HP on the late petrol 2.7. My quote was based on 140+HP (around that), it is now 160hp. So the older 2.7 will be low hp.

I should have checked that out a little further. I never realised they didn't bring out the 4 litre Hilux in Thailand?

It uses the same engine as the Toyota Prado (not sure what it's called in Thailand)

Basically it easily lays rubber if you wanted it to. They are quick. Problem is I have heard, unless you own shares in a gas station, stay clear as they drink gas heavily. For me power really doesn't bother me too much.

We are planning on buying a sr5 model Hilux here in Australia. Since so many have them in Thailand, figured may as well ask right here.

Here's the 05 model in question for example. The diesel has the bonnet scoop, the 4 litre doesn't ...Seems most here like the diesel engine.

post-151649-0-65953000-1405512335_thumb.

Afaik the 2.7 (2TR-FE) has 160 hp since the current model came out in 2005..

I should have checked that out a little further. I never realised they didn't bring out the 4 litre Hilux in Thailand?

It uses the same engine as the Toyota Prado (not sure what it's called in Thailand)

Basically it easily lays rubber if you wanted it to. They are quick. Problem is I have heard, unless you own shares in a gas station, stay clear as they drink gas heavily. For me power really doesn't bother me too much.

We are planning on buying a sr5 model Hilux here in Australia. Since so many have them in Thailand, figured may as well ask right here.

Here's the 05 model in question for example. The diesel has the bonnet scoop, the 4 litre doesn't ...Seems most here like the diesel engine.

Why didn't you say you were asking about the vehicles available in Australia in your original post?

Different vehicles in different markets.

Petrol engines are more popular in Oz.

Edit: My bad! I should have noticed SR5 in your original post.

Edited by Woodsie888

160 aint bad,plus its lighter than an Oiler. 300 is plain dumb in a Tip Up Tuck.

Tut Tut......................whistling.gif

Farm Truck is running a worked 502 inch big block with a nitrous pill big enough to put down 1000hp at the wheels.

160 aint bad,plus its lighter than an Oiler. 300 is plain dumb in a Tip Up Tuck.

Tut Tut......................whistling.gif

Farm Truck is running a worked 502 inch big block with a nitrous pill big enough to put down 1000hp at the wheels.

Cool eh............thumbsup.gif

I raced a Hearse once on the strip, shit I would have hated to lose that one.........facepalm.gif .......laugh.png

Diesel every time for me. How much will you spend on fuel for a 4 litre petrol?! diesel's may not be as fast, more of a horse than a greyhound. I prefer the horse.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Think about trying out an Isuzu. Thais love them and they do hold their price well. I own a MU7..2009 model running on diesel. The engine is 3 litre turbo.

On a run from Sirikit hospital to Jomptien and driving at 80 to 100kph my trip computer displayed an average of 17.2 kilometer/litres. Impressive stuff!

Yes, I used slow acceleration, as little braking and aticipation as possible. On a long run on the motorway or a good road with few traffic lights and little traffic, I can achieve over 15 km/litre fairly easily keeping the speed around 100km/hour.

rle

Think about trying out an Isuzu. Thais love them and they do hold their price well. I own a MU7..2009 model running on diesel. The engine is 3 litre turbo.

On a run from Sirikit hospital to Jomptien and driving at 80 to 100kph my trip computer displayed an average of 17.2 kilometer/litres. Impressive stuff!

Yes, I used slow acceleration, as little braking and aticipation as possible. On a long run on the motorway or a good road with few traffic lights and little traffic, I can achieve over 15 km/litre fairly easily keeping the speed around 100km/hour.

Hey nothing wrong with an Isuzu.

Just I like the Hilux's. Not the low to the ground models so much, the lifted up 4x4 models.

Now don't give me too much stick for what I'm about to say, but I will likely never take it off road, and to top that off, am looking for a Hilux that has never been off road.

How do nyou know if you're buying a second hand Hilux that's never been off roading?

Just use the force Luke...sus the seller out is really all you can do.

rle

Just I like the Hilux's. Not the low to the ground models so much, the lifted up 4x4 models.

Now don't give me too much stick for what I'm about to say, but I will likely never take it off road, and to top that off, am looking for a Hilux that has never been off road.

How do nyou know if you're buying a second hand Hilux that's never been off roading?

I would look for one from a foreigner*** who most likely bought it cause he could and doesn't off road much - hmms sounds like me... nevermind.

***by foreigner I don't mean the full or part time charletans who rent them in Pattaya and Phuket where they have been ridden harder than some ex dancer cum massasan at your fav bar and grill.

rle

You will never know, steam clean makes like new.......whistling.gif

Like any ride, test it, put it through it's paces and LISTEN for stuff....thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

rle

Like any ride, test it, put it through it's paces and LISTEN for stuff....thumbsup.gif

especially lil bits coming from around the rad...;)

• Like 1

rle

especially lil bits coming from around the rad...wink.png

little bits of mud and off road stuff?