Going down the Ed Visa route

Hi all, just thought I would pass on the following information which I was told today by a language school in Asoke.

I have decided to go down the Ed Visa route, the school I will be attending in Asoke advised that from July 1st the rules changed (apologies if already covered). It is now a lot more difficult to obtain an ed visa, and even more difficult renewing it every 90 days. From 1st July, each student on an Ed Visa must visit the MOE (Ministry of Education) every 3 months to undergo a Thai language (reading, writing and speaking) test. If you pass they issue authority for the next 90 days of the visa to be issued by immigration. They will also be doing random visits to language schools.

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP are you *sure* that you have to do the language test at MOE every 90 days?? I have never heard of this and have my 90 day extension tomorrow at Chang Wattana and my school haven't mentioned it and tbh the logistics of setting this up would be ridiculous....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP are you *sure* that you have to do the language test at MOE every 90 days?? I have never heard of this and have my 90 day extension tomorrow at Chang Wattana and my school haven't mentioned it and tbh the logistics of setting this up would be ridiculous....

Just passing on the information I was told today by the language school....am searching for it online....

It can't be correct, because I was told a few days ago by my language school that I could study French private lessons 1-1 on an ED-visa. I hardly believe they will be able to test students' language proficiency in all other languages that are studied by foreigners in Thailand.

• Like 1

OP what school was this and were you told in writing or you went there?

I think you may have things mixed up with this which is how it is done now:

90 day extensions at Chang Wattana, you need to take a pile of documents stamped and signed from the school every time you do this

After 1 year if you want to study for another year you need to go to MOE to do a Thai language test

The MOE has nothing to do with your extensions and having every single student having to truck down to the MOE offices every 90 days to do tests would be a nightmare and not realistic, but then again TiT so you never know eh

Either way I fully expect the ED visa requirements to get a big shake-up soon, most likely they will increase the number of fixed hrs you need to study (which will of course drive the source prices up) and start doing stringent spot checks on schools and attendances.

• Like 1

In the past the first extension was for 9 months. I also heard that non-imm EDs will only be extended for 3 months at a time. I didn't hear that there would be a language proficiency test. There might be but it's not what I heard. I also heard the visa can only be extended to one year. After that, you apply for a new visa.

My Filipino friend was refused the final 3 month extension on her year Ed visa subject to passing a test. She was given a 1 week stamp and an appointment, but at the immigration office. she will struggle she still cant speak a word.....

I will report back tomorrow to tell how serious the test was as that her test date... but it is real and no they dont want you just to pay another year....

A week or so earlier she had gone to the immigration but her school screwed up some vital document after issuing her stamp they then changed their mind and asked for the receipt back and cancelled the stamp subject to getting a minor change on one document. by the time the school sorted out the problem she was 7 days overstay. then they only gave her the week and demand for the Test...

Edited by epicstuff

I have had two friends who had to report to Bangkok for a test on their language skills before they could get their 90 day extension , and yes the schools themselves are now having more government inspections to ensure the students are actually attending . It will get much tighter for those trying to abuse the system . I know of one school who had more students on their books than they could teach given the size of their premises . Their license was withdrew leaving the students out of pocket as the school closed .

and I have heard that people on retirement visa will have their penis measured every 3 months.... such a nonsense and waste of space for a topic

One does wonder what they will do for the students studying skills no one at the MoE themselves possess.

Three months...that's not often enough is it?

Edited by BudRight

Just passing on the information I was told today by the language school....am searching for it online....chappie1207

Why do I have this strange feeling he wont find it.....................................................coffee1.gif

So Many Bars----So many....................................

Edited by sanuk711

5555. Every 90 days a writing, speaking and reading test at the MoE. I guess they will have to hire a lot people to test everyone. I guess you will also have to demonstrate your Muay Thai skills in case you are learning that.555.

Please don't spread rumours or make jokes like this. Some people may believe it.

OP what school was this and were you told in writing or you went there?

I think you may have things mixed up with this which is how it is done now:

90 day extensions at Chang Wattana, you need to take a pile of documents stamped and signed from the school every time you do this

After 1 year if you want to study for another year you need to go to MOE to do a Thai language test

The MOE has nothing to do with your extensions and having every single student having to truck down to the MOE offices every 90 days to do tests would be a nightmare and not realistic, but then again TiT so you never know eh

Either way I fully expect the ED visa requirements to get a big shake-up soon, most likely they will increase the number of fixed hrs you need to study (which will of course drive the source prices up) and start doing stringent spot checks on schools and attendances.

well as someone who had to go and do the MoE test last week, after just over 5 months of lessons, I can assure you it is not just people wanting to do another year's course. There was probably around 10 people who were tested, or awaiting tests, while I was there, at an office over near Krungthon bridge, Dusit. they seemed to be of all levels, from near beginners such as me to one girl from my school who has done nearly 2 years ( the official did n't waste much time with her, it only took a couple of questions to hear how fluent she was).

Before going I had to do a written test at the school, which seems to be a standard test for all levels. The questions start off easy, ie write eat, do, water in Thai and then progress up to harder stuff such as waterside, stomach (which I certainly have not learnt yet!)

I don't know if everybody has to do this test now, or if people are randomly selected, as none of the other Ed students in my class have had to go yet.

• Like 1

Just passing on the information I was told today by the language school....am searching for it online....chappie1207

Why do I have this strange feeling he wont find it.....................................................coffee1.gif

So Many Bars----So many....................................

Sometimes fact is unbelievable. Times are changing. The immigration changes that have taken place were scoffed at as unbelievable up until the announcements were made by the authorities.

I prefer to exercise caution and save my skepticism for the recycle bin.

• Like 1

I don't know if everybody has to do this test now, or if people are randomly selected, as none of the other Ed students in my class have had to go yet.

I think it's random because I have a friend who just did her 90-day extension for ED visa last July 09, and she wasn't asked anything.

I think it's random because I have a friend who just did her 90-day extension for ED visa last July 09, and she wasn't asked anything.

This test is completely separate from the usual 90 day extensions, it's not Immigration at Chang Wattana but Ministry of Education at Dusit....not the main departmental office, just a rather dingy "office of Private education" sub-office, according to the nice shiny sign out the front

Edited by MikeN

I went to walen school, 1 week ago, to pay for my second year of learning thai, and make the paper work. They are doing the paperwork right now, and in the following days I will have to go back, and go to immigration for 3 new months -- the first 3 months of my second year of learning.

I had to pass a test in the school, with a girl from the staff, for my first year (speaking, reading, rather easy), but nobody talked to me about this kind of test in the ministry, and nobody talked to me about this kind of new rules. And it was after the 1st july.

I will mail my school to know more about this. It could be bullshit, or it could be the beginning of ED-visa crackdown.