Going down the Ed Visa route

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stricter requirements were already predicted/proposed/set at the end of last year. Hardly surprising that they would be tightened even more as all the permanent resident "tourists" & border runners suddenly became interested in gaining some formal education.

Posted 2013-12-24 06:31:48

ED VISA ABUSE

Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691465-stricter-requirements-new-application-forms-for-ed-visa-extensions/page-1

Edited by Suradit69

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Stricter requirements were already predicted/proposed/set at the end of last year. Hardly surprising that they would be tightened even more as all the permanent resident "tourists" & border runners suddenly became interested in gaining some formal education.

Posted 2013-12-24 06:31:48

ED VISA ABUSE

Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691465-stricter-requirements-new-application-forms-for-ed-visa-extensions/page-1

You really DO just sit on TVF every single day handing down self-righteous bilge, don't you?

It's like you actually derive pleasure from knowing that many babies are being thrown out with the bathwater as a result of this crackdown.

Ah well whatever you need to make yourself feel special

• Like 2

OK here is the latest in Hua Hin Immigration-renewed Ed Visa today for a second year and was questioned by immigration staff -in Thai- to ensure that I was attending school and was learning the language as a legitimate student. She made it clear I should speak Thai when it came to renewing next time-fortunately some of what I learned in school stuck and I was able to answer her simple questions-but if you are not attending and cant respond you may face a difficult renewal process.

• Like 2

The test will be carried out at the department of immigration when you get your three month extension and extension will be denied if you do not pass the test. This is what already happens in an informal way.

Have also heard (Rumour) but rules regarding Non O marriage are going to change in regard to reporting of finance and more house visits.

OK here is the latest in Hua Hin Immigration-renewed Ed Visa today for a second year and was questioned by immigration staff -in Thai- to ensure that I was attending school and was learning the language as a legitimate student. She made it clear I should speak Thai when it came to renewing next time-fortunately some of what I learned in school stuck and I was able to answer her simple questions-but if you are not attending and cant respond you may face a difficult renewal process.

What did they ask, exactly ? thank's. Just curiosity.

In 1 year, the immigration staff never asked me anything (in Pattaya). But next month I'll have to go for my first extension of the second year. So.. :)

The test will be carried out at the department of immigration when you get your three month extension and extension will be denied if you do not pass the test. This is what already happens in an informal way.

Have also heard (Rumour) but rules regarding Non O marriage are going to change in regard to reporting of finance and more house visits.

As the OP said at #1, and as I reported at #25 from my test last week, it is NOT at immigration, this is a MoE test at their office, at least for people in BKK

My mate is on an ED for Muay Thai, hope they test him:lol:

And what about all those studying Master degrees at Thai universities or Thai cooking - how will they be tested?!!

How will they be tested?

Have you heard of the "free lunch"? ....

How about students on ED visa learning English in Pattaya , I know both Scandinavians and Russians learning English . I wonderr what they will do about this.An English test ?

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They should hold the foreigners to the high standards of a Thai school. Everyone passes.

If you never do any work, skip, sleep, and fail every test you just do some silly makeup work and get your 50% pass.

This year, any student failing English will be washing my motorbike and I'm ready for an oil change too!

• Like 1

I thought they stop giving ED for muay thai long ago...

If it's a legit course you can get an Ed visa. There is no requirement to study Thai.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not every muay thai.school is associated with ministry thats the thing i think..

Just few are

Edited by mataleo

As the OP said at #1, and as I reported at #25 from my test last week, it is NOT at immigration, this is a MoE test at their office, at least for people in BKK
Was it anyone from Pattaya ever tested?

I am thinking study for a year before I get married...

I am thinking go for english or thai..

I am polish so I can study eng.

Personally i would like to learn thai cuz got thai gf etc...

But simes there is less problem with eng.

Confused and i have to choose by mon.

Pattaya...

Edited by mataleo

Was it anyone from Pattaya ever tested?

I am thinking study for a year before I get married...

I am thinking go for english or thai..

I am polish so I can study eng.

Personally i would like to learn thai cuz got thai gf etc...

But simes there is less problem with eng.

Confused and i have to choose by mon.

Pattaya...

I am beginning my 2nd year of student visa (waiting for paperworks to be completed by my school), I'm learning thai in Walen school.

The first year (actualy it's 15 months, but whatever) I was never tested. Not at my school, not at immigration (envery 90 days).

When I wanted to take a new year, I was tested in my school. I have not been back to immigration since then, because I'm waiting for the paperwork to be finished by walen, so I don"t know if I will be tested by a officer, or what.

The test in my school was 15 questions asked by a staff member. I didn't understand all the questions, and I didn't know how to answer to all the questions.

I was asked to show I can write my name in thai (some kind of phonetic transcription. if your name is john, you should wirte "จอน", this kind of stuff to make the sound "jon")

And I was asked to read about 10 words in thai. Simple words, as : I, book, chair, language, study, etc. etc.

Reading and writing is quite "easy" (with some mistakes of course) after 1 year of studying, but understanding a thai talking is quite still difficult. If you don't know one main word of the sentence or the question, you're screwed. For instance a question was : how many provinces in Thailand ? I didn't know the word for province -- จังหวัด // "jang wat", so I couldn't get it, no matter how many times she repeated it.

But if you just want to study one year, and if the same rules applied to me also apply to you, you will not be tested during the first year.

Edited by ritoyenne
  • Like 1

The schools in Pattaya offer English for beginners and intermediate classes too. So yes you can study English in Thailand. I dont see how immigration would question that .

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

The schools in Pattaya offer English for beginners and intermediate classes too. So yes you can study English in Thailand. I dont see how immigration would question that .

Thai is 180h and eng 120 any difference in visa terms?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No , you will get 1 year Non Imm ED visa . When the 120 hours are finished you just continue going to immigration every 90 days until the visa expires. The school will prepare all the paperwork for you.

Are you able to expand on this? Please start a new thread if yes. Thousands will be interested to know the detail!

For me, in anticipation of an imminent change in financial requirements for a marriage extension, just last week I transferred GBP 10K to my Thai bank to cover the next years expenditure for my Thai family - this represents my annual UK pension as a lump sum. This is in excess of the Baht 400K on (permanent) deposit. I suspect those who currently 'borrow' 400k each year to renew their extensions will run into difficulty sooner or later.

Edited by iancnx

Are you able to expand on this? Please start a new thread if yes. Thousands will be interested to know the detail!

For me, in anticipation of an imminent change in financial requirements for a marriage extension, just last week I transferred GBP 10K to my Thai bank to cover the next years expenditure for my Thai family - this represents my annual UK pension as a lump sum. This is in excess of the Baht 400K on (permanent) deposit. I suspect those who currently 'borrow' 400k each year to renew their extensions will run into difficulty sooner or later

Only rumours.

I am sure if there was any ort of piece of information about "Non O marriage are going to change in regard to reporting of finance and more house visits", then there would be a loooooot of threads talking and asking about this.

It's possible it will change. But nobody knows.

About ED visas, I had a friend today who enrolled for a one year thai class today + ED visa, he payed the school, made the paper works, and now he is waiting for the paper work to be finished for going to Laos with his papers. At school they told him it's better for him to go to Laos BEFORE 12th of august, because after this day it would be more difficult. He has no back-to-back tourist visas. Only one 2 entries tourist visa. But I guess school told this to him 'just in case', and they don't realy know what will happen then.

No more details.

Edited by ritoyenne

No , you will get 1 year Non Imm ED visa . When the 120 hours are finished you just continue going to immigration every 90 days until the visa expires. The school will prepare all the paperwork for you.

Normaly its 3 months visa not 1 year and ppl have to go every 90 days to immigration

I am currently on a 1 year student visa, and I have to report my address every 90 days. I don't need to appear to the immigration every 90 days for renewal of visa. I would like to know if I'm included in the new rules, or I just have to report my address until my 1 year student visa expires?

I've heard of similar stories from my classmates in my Thai class. They have a 3 months ED Visa that can be renewed every 90 days. They were interviewed in Thai to test if they are really learning Thai Language.