Suthep becomes a monk

webfact

theres good money to be made from donations as he found out recently ,enough to buy some raybans and a private jet

Pray elaborate on what you are trying to suggest here, assuming there is more to it than just a bit of insinuation and obfuscation.

what happened to all the donated money and did he submit accounts and account for every baht ?

monk nengham never accounted for all his wealth

and is still on the run ,likewise suthep is on the run in a temple to escape the lawman 

The donated money was used to help pay the costs of the protests, food, tents and stage hire, guards and to pay the hospital bills of those injured in the shootings and grenade attacks, anything left over went to help the families of those killed or injured.

You should note that people donated money while the red protesters were paid to attend their rallies.

He also raised money for the farmers which is now being used to take class action against the Govt to recover interest the farmers incurred when they were forced to take out loans due to non payment for the rice they had sold to the Govt.

He is the only one who has made any attempt to help the farmers.

He submitted as many accounts as did the PT Govt for the rice pledging scheme, none, but then he was under no obligation to do so and they were.

On the run from the law ? If you kept up with the news you will see that he will appear in court on 29th July to answer charges.

• Like 1

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He seems old for this, wouldn't he have done this before?  Or do Thais do it more than once in their lives in some cases?

Only the bad ones !

Ignorant and demeaning.

Most young man will be 'ordained' around their 18th birthday, but many will join the temple/monks on special occasions like the death of relatives. This may mean they join-up four or five times during their current lifetime.

The real bad ones are those who flee justice and live a life of luxury abroad.

Unfortunately yet again the Temple becomes both a metaphorical and literal refuge for those on the run from the law.

Assuming you're on the topic of Suthep having become a monk could you please explain your "literal refuge for those on the run from the law" ?

Yes, I am on that topic. It is widely known that many people who are wanted by the law hide out in temples right across the country. There is a high degree of anonymity there and police are reluctant to enter and arrest people in the temple. Simple as that.

Unfortunately yet again the Temple becomes both a metaphorical and literal refuge for those on the run from the law.

Assuming you're on the topic of Suthep having become a monk could you please explain your "literal refuge for those on the run from the law" ?

Yes, I am on that topic. It is widely known that many people who are wanted by the law hide out in temples right across the country. There is a high degree of anonymity there and police are reluctant to enter and arrest people in the temple. Simple as that.

Since you state to be on topic, please explain to me how k. Suthep is on the run for the law, literally and metaphorically.

As far as I know he acknowledged all charges made against him by the AOG and has stated to appear for the scheduled court case later this month.

BTW the "high degree of anonymity" and "police reluctant to enter and arrest" seem to contradict each other.

Any charges against Khun Suthep will be put "on hold" as long as he remains in the sangha.

After his week long 'holiday' complements of Gen. Prayuth, Suthep was led by soldiers to the court where he had to hear and acknowledge any charges outstanding. Following he was granted bail by the court.

The court will have set dates on which he should come to court for the cases to proceed. Not sure what dates are set though, but mostly court cases can take a while before they 'really' start.

So for some to write about 'refugee on the run' and you to suggest ulterior motives seems a wee bit of obfuscation. Especially since Thailand knows a few really criminal fugitives on the run. The name of the most notorious seems to have escaped me for the moment. Didn't his name start with a T?

Excuse me but where exactly do you see where I suggest ulterior motives? I simply stated a well known fact in Thai life. Suthep is not the only person to enter the monk hood. I do not know his motives, does not matter to the point I addressed. If you read things into a post that speaks more of your orientation that the statement.
  • Like 1

Any charges against Khun Suthep will be put "on hold" as long as he remains in the sangha.

After his week long 'holiday' complements of Gen. Prayuth, Suthep was led by soldiers to the court where he had to hear and acknowledge any charges outstanding. Following he was granted bail by the court.

The court will have set dates on which he should come to court for the cases to proceed. Not sure what dates are set though, but mostly court cases can take a while before they 'really' start.

So for some to write about 'refugee on the run' and you to suggest ulterior motives seems a wee bit of obfuscation. Especially since Thailand knows a few really criminal fugitives on the run. The name of the most notorious seems to have escaped me for the moment. Didn't his name start with a T?

Excuse me but where exactly do you see where I suggest ulterior motives? I simply stated a well known fact in Thai life. Suthep is not the only person to enter the monk hood. I do not know his motives, does not matter to the point I addressed. If you read things into a post that speaks more of your orientation that the statement.

Excuses, my dear chap, if all the nonsense here makes it look like my orientation becomes clear, let me help you.

With all those posts suggesting k. Suthep is 'hiding', 'trying to escape justice' and more of that I simply wonder how that came to be. Unlike some k. Suthep always stated to stay to face any charges against him, even ridiculous ones.

The number of people on this forum who know nothing about Buddhism and especially Theravada Buddhism as it's practiced in Thailand is amazing to me.  And yet, they are all experts.  Here's my suggestion.  Ordain for a week, a month, whatever, then come back here and spout your insights on Buddhism.  wai.gif   Peace out.

I wouldn't know about that but a Thai friend of mine ordained for three months,he said if you want to get turned off of Buddhism for life ordain as a monk,he was utterly disgusted at the goings on in the wat,he now no longer attends services.

He seems old for this, wouldn't he have done this before?  Or do Thais do it more than once in their lives in some cases?

Only the bad ones !

Ignorant and demeaning.

Most young man will be 'ordained' around their 18th birthday, but many will join the temple/monks on special occasions like the death of relatives. This may mean they join-up four or five times during their current lifetime.

It all depends upon your definition of justice I suppose...............

Edited by fab4

The number of people on this forum who know nothing about Buddhism and especially Theravada Buddhism as it's practiced in Thailand is amazing to me.  And yet, they are all experts.  Here's my suggestion.  Ordain for a week, a month, whatever, then come back here and spout your insights on Buddhism.  wai.gif   Peace out.

I wouldn't know about that but a Thai friend of mine ordained for three months,he said if you want to get turned off of Buddhism for life ordain as a monk,he was utterly disgusted at the goings on in the wat,he now no longer attends services.

I fully understand your friend's attitude... having been ordained myself. However he shouldn't allow his experiences to destroy his faith in Buddhism... just acknowledge that Buddhism as practiced here in Thailand is far from the Dhamma taught by the Buddha.

Here's a message from one of Thailand's greatest monks Ajarn Chah who was responsible for spreading the good fruit of Thai Buddhism throughout the world. Pra Suthep could do well to muse on these simple words and change his venal ways. Or alternatively he may not. He also made this very wise statement..

Buddhism in the East today is like a big tree, which may look majestic, but can only give small and tasteless fruit. Buddhism in the West is like a sapling, not yet able to bear fruit, but having the potential to give large sweet ones.

http://youtu.be/RPN-Lc6lBi4

Edited by beautifulthailand99

Ignorant and demeaning.

It all depends upon your definition of justice I suppose...............

May be you misunderstood?

I didn't mean that I think [s]Thaksin[/s] real bad ones living a life of luxury abroad has anything to do with justice wai.gif

Edited by rubl

Very much agree.

The lack of understanding for even the basic fundamental tenets of Buddhism is very evident in this thread.
Unsurprisingly, I see those that demonstrate the least understanding are also the same posters that reflect the least understanding of politics, as well.

Those are the ones I read consistently defending Red Shirts, Thaksin, PTP, etc.

Unsurprising that they also don't understand other aspects of Thailand besides politics.

. Edited by Minaj82

There is no limit to the number of times.

Our tour leader from 10 years ago said you could be a monk only three times.

The husband in the family I stayed with back then subsequently became a monk (and changed his name) and, when I went to visit them five years later, advised that he'd given up being a monk after three years as he wanted to go back to married life - apparently if they stay for longer than three years the wife can divorce "automatically".

Things may have changed but this came directly from those involved and there were no "lost in translation" issues!

Edited by BwindiBoy

Most of the monks in my village seem to be ex-druggies fresh out of prison looking for a fresh start or people who can't or wont keep up with the daily drudge of trying to earn a crust,free food and a place to sleep seem to be the overriding desire to enter the wat. I never was enthusiastic about organized religion no matter what flavour.

Not everyone who becomes a monk does so to escape the law or break the law.   Perhaps a few months of semi solitude and time to think would be a very attractive option for him after the pressure & mayhem of the last 8 months.   I think it would to me if I had been through what he has, & I am not a Buddhist.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Not everyone who becomes a monk does so to escape the law or break the law.   Perhaps a few months of semi solitude and time to think would be a very attractive option for him after the pressure & mayhem of the last 8 months.   I think it would to me if I had been through what he has, & I am not a Buddhist.

"In Hinduism and Buddhism, meditative retreats are seen by some as integral for reconnection to one's self.

Many Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox Christians partake in and organize spiritual retreats each year.

Meditative retreats are an important practice in Sufism, the mystical path of Islam."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retreat_(spiritual)

This sends a clear message to General Prayuth that he's staying out of politics for the time being, which is a good thing anyway anyone looks at it.

No. This sends a clear message that he is in trouble and he tries to avoid being prosecuted. He knows that he is the "one" responsible for the mess.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this earlier and the pics.

Hes well qualified to walk the streets

I just won a another bet of a beer from one of my friends since I said he would as soon as I saw his kid had ordained and  was told to shut up by the Junta biggrin.png

If he starts going around and blessing houses or cars etc ill win a full blown meal thumbsup.gif

After he was detained did you notice his arm was in a sling? I saw that on the news and they didn't mention it of course, I wonder why he had to have it in a sling..

Anyway also I saw him in robes with 2 other monks nearly a month ago, so this is old news but still something to smile about.

Brillant observation. Hiding and telling all about it.

BTW for what is Phra Suthep actually hiding? Any court cases not acknowledged after soldiers led him to court end of May? Any dates set by court when cases filed are to proceed ?

Any other insinuations? More obfuscation? Any suggestions Phra Suthep is just as bad as that other politician turned 'hiding abroad', the chap who's name starts with S + 1 ?

You've answered your own silly question! The fact that one is persona non grata, forbidden to return, reviled and despised, blamed for everything that is wrong in the world, whilst the other one is free to bumble around barefoot, as pious as the little biddy baby jesus, without a care in the world. cheesy.gif  (Made in Thailand... cracks me up).

"forbidden to return"

Do you have a source for that 'fact' or assertion ? My understanding is that former-PM Thaksin has simply chosen not to return, perhaps because of the several court-cases awaiting his presence in court or possibly because of the 2-year sentence already given, plus any legal penalty for not returning as-promised after the Beijing-Olympics in 2008 ?

Or maybe he finds his other business-interests more absorbing or profitable ? whistling.gif

Typically Thai men do it when they're in their late teens/early twenties, and again when their family responsibilities wane (children working, just retired).

His choice of Wat Suan Mokh is significant. It's in the forest tradition, and is not associated with the greed and corruption of city temples - particularly in Bangkok.

Whilst it is tempting to speculate that he is sending a signal that he's no longer involved in politics and/or avoiding arrest, I suspect that this is more a case of a man weary after the long, tiringcampaign he lead seeking spiritually and emotionally to recharge.

he could also have just gone for a few soapy's