Lower Isaan plagued by leptospirosis outbreak

webfact

Lower Northeast plagued by leptospirosis outbreak

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, 16 July 2014 (NNT) – Over a hundred people in the lower northeastern region have been diagnosed with leptospirosis this year while health officials are urging the public to take precautions against the disease, which can spread easily in the rainy season.

According to Dr Teerawat Valaisathien, Director of the Office of Disease Prevention and Control 5, which has jurisdiction over Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Buri Ram and Surin provinces, as many as 102 cases of leptospirosis have been found in the region since January 1 this year.

Twenty-four infections, including one death, were reported in Nakhon Ratchasima, 16 in Chaiyaphum, 31 in Buri Ram and another 31 in Surin. More infections are likely this year as leptospirosis bacteria usually thrive in the period between the rainy season and early winter.

As farmers make up the majority of the patients, Dr Teerawat advised them to wear rubber boots when wading through water on their farmland, especially if they have open wounds on their legs or feet, and wash themselves every time after coming up from the water.

Medical attention should be sought immediately if such symptoms as fever, headache, red eyes and muscle aches are experienced. Late detection of leptospirosis can result in fatality.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-16 footer_n.gif

Also known as Weils Disease, it is a pretty nasty thing to catch. I worked in the water industry where the liklihood of contracting it is high. Its passed in rats urine, and rats are common where there are people. Aa the saying goes, you're never more than 10 feet away from a rat.

The disease is a killer, and if you survive you'll probably have wished that it had killed you, the effects are quite dramatic, sloughing of skin, after it has turned blue, and left with arthritic like symptoms forever.

• Like 1

Also known as Weils Disease, it is a pretty nasty thing to catch. I worked in the water industry where the liklihood of contracting it is high. Its passed in rats urine, and rats are common where there are people. Aa the saying goes, you're never more than 10 feet away from a rat.

The disease is a killer, and if you survive you'll probably have wished that it had killed you, the effects are quite dramatic, sloughing of skin, after it has turned blue, and left with arthritic like symptoms forever.

+1.

Absolutely terrible. Knew a Thai bloke who got it. He did'nt die, but he was VERY ill for a couple of months.

Jeez - yet another disease I'd never heard of to think about. Think I'll sit on a nice dry cosy bar stool for the rest of my retirement thensmile.png .

I was doing just that one evening in Pattaya when it started to rain. By time I check-bin the water was flowing into the bar. Had to walk thru crappy water to get back to the hotel. Could not shower quick enough, threw the socks away and took the shoes and clothes to laundry. Yep, now I wonder about the water at that laundry.

jeeesus, if corruption or road accidents done get you, the bugs surely will

Deinitely.

Deadliest animal in the world is the mosquito.

http://www.gatesnotes.com/Health/Most-Lethal-Animal-Mosquito-Week

10 people killed by sharks.

725000 by mosquitos.

And here you might be killed by rats pee.

So sad that people have to die. Easy and cheaply treatable within in the first days.

Pay attention to the symptoms.

Edited by KhunBENQ

every year the same warnings and the thais know about it ; as a matter of fact, any body who farms knows about it. that is why whne u open an outdoor tap of drinking water u let it run for ten minutes to clear out waht ever was in side...

Jeez - yet another disease I'd never heard of to think about. Think I'll sit on a nice dry cosy bar stool for the rest of my retirement thensmile.png .

AKA Wiels disease in UK. A mate caught it in the Thames at Windsor a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app