Too Young to Retire to Live...Now What?

OMG!!!! Speak English , Maybe I'm sounding obtuce

The frustrations of your situation regarding Thai Laws and 'defacto' are also reflective in the disconcerting situation in both the UK & Oz. Personally I would go the ED Visa route and then whatever propitious circumstance is presented forthwith.

Obviously, your not a malfeasant and if your sedulous enough, your situation will ameliorate........lock.gif

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great post OP, and making a lot of sense. However, sense is not that common in Thailand.

It is a great post but will someone tell us where in the world can one reside with no reported income and without paying any tax?

OK there are a few exceptions like maybe Monaco, Isle Of Man, Cyaman Islands etc. but no "normal" countries surely.

OP could open a subsidiary office here? Pay tax on 50,000 and get a visa and a work permit?

• Like 1

I'm in a very similar position I'm 34 and draw a similar income from the UK which I spend in Thailand though I'm not rich I consider 100,000bhat a month in Thailand allows me to lead a life that I'm comfortable with. I've considered and am still considering the elite card but it would mean realocating funds which aside from being a pain in the ass would efectivly be throwing 500,000bhat down the drain and lets be honest no one really want's to lay out that much for zero return.

My Thai girlfriend can't leave Thailand she has a job she enjoys, her family are here and has other than for a short vacation she has no desire to leave Thailand who can blame her for that lol. She's suggested getting married which has kind of put a strain on the relationship it's not that I'm averse to the idea but to me it seems wrong to rush into it in order for me to get a visa.

I'm currently on an ED visa which I received 2 months ago it wasn't straightforward getting that it took 11 days and I had to show bank statements and proof of income from the UK, they wouldn't accept my Thai bank statement and insisted on seeing proof of funds from my UK accounts. I applied for and was told I would receive a multi entry but when I picked it up I'd received a single entry which is useless as I have to return home to see the family in a couple of months.

I'm in a very similar position I'm 34 and draw a similar income from the UK which I spend in Thailand though I'm not rich I consider 100,000bhat a month in Thailand allows me to lead a life that I'm comfortable with. I've considered and am still considering the elite card but it would mean realocating funds which aside from being a pain in the ass would efectivly be throwing 500,000bhat down the drain and lets be honest no one really want's to lay out that much for zero return.

My Thai girlfriend can't leave Thailand she has a job she enjoys, her family are here and has other than for a short vacation she has no desire to leave Thailand who can blame her for that lol. She's suggested getting married which has kind of put a strain on the relationship it's not that I'm averse to the idea but to me it seems wrong to rush into it in order for me to get a visa.

I'm currently on an ED visa which I received 2 months ago it wasn't straightforward getting that it took 11 days and I had to show bank statements and proof of income from the UK, they wouldn't accept my Thai bank statement and insisted on seeing proof of funds from my UK accounts. I applied for and was told I would receive a multi entry but when I picked it up I'd received a single entry which is useless as I have to return home to see the family in a couple of months.

so being able to stay in thailand and live with your girlfriend is in your opinion a "zero return"?

• Like 2

Can you not get a re-entry permit when you leave?

Though I'm aware that the elite card is'nt a great outlay when divided over 60 months at 8,333bhat per month it's still quite a hit to most people paying out 500,000bhat initially. I've worked hard and am careful with my money which is why I've been able to move here at a realtivly early age, also keeping my money invested and working for me will allow me to provide for my future.

As far as I understan it re-entry permits are only available with multi entry ED visa's and can't be obtained for single enrtry ED visa's I hope I'm wrong on this if I am please advise?

You are Australian and you want to live in Thailand. There are lots of Thais who would like to live in Australia. But it is impossible for them to do so. My wifes brother could not even get a tourist visa. So why should you complain about regulations here?.

life in australia is expensive and sorry to say not for ordinary thais

• Like 1

You are Australian and you want to live in Thailand. There are lots of Thais who would like to live in Australia. But it is impossible for them to do so. My wifes brother could not even get a tourist visa. So why should you complain about regulations here?.

life in australia is expensive and sorry to say not for ordinary thais

not for ordinary thais as tourists? why is that?

• Like 1

Possibly you have talked yourself into a corner with all the things you will not do. I only see that you have no other choice at the moment but to choose one of the I Won't Do things. so at least you buy some time to be able to solve the problem further up the road.

I am getting a good laugh out of this thread! That option is too expensive.

Let's be honest. Unless someone has so much money that they don't know what to do with it they aren't buying an Elite card.

And when you guys suggest to spend 500k on an elite card you are really laughing inside and trolling... thumbsup.gif

You know if you were in the same position of drawing 100k a month from the UK there is no way in hell you would be dropping 500k on an elite card. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The frustrations of your situation regarding Thai Laws and 'defacto' are also reflective in the disconcerting situation in both the UK & Oz. Personally I would go the ED Visa route and then whatever propitious circumstance is presented forthwith.

Obviously, your not a malfeasant and if your sedulous enough, your situation will ameliorate........lock.gif

I can't find my dictionary.......facepalm.gif ..................smile.png

• Like 1

Well sunny Jim I've paid to play worked hard payed my taxes, saved hard and whilst in Thailand I've paid my way and have never drawn a cent from this country. I enjoy living here have spent time learning the language, I respect the culture and the laws of the land and I also respect their rights to change or tighten their visa laws. I understand the options I have to continue to stay here though realistically few people would be willing to rush into a marriage, lay out 500,000bhat or start a business in a field they have no experience in just to obtain a visa. Though this is an inconvienience to me and those in my situation I fail to see how it will personally benefit any other expats who seem to find our situation so hilarious.

Ok. Here is the secret.

Wait for it.....

You gotta pay to play son.

• Like 1

why are you guys on retirement visas so giddy? cheesy.gif

With all that's happened, I wouldn't be surprised to see the retirement age raised to more of a proper retirement age, like 60-65.

Thai folk retire at 60, there are countries l believe earlier, why should we be treated differently...?

Go and learn Thai then at a repuable school, and get an Ed Visa

Invest THB 10 million is condo's and get an investment visa

or the one you didnt want mentioned the 500k TE card (less than THB 300/d) and gets you 5 years of hassle free visa's

Get a job in Thailand

Thailand doesnt recognise "common law" relationships and one suspects that aint going to change

i second this. Want to live in Thailand? follow the applicable rules... don't start crying about them... search for the best solution.

OP , in my humble opinion, the best solution is marriage... ( from the options available )

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

why are you guys on retirement visas so giddy? cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

With all that's happened, I wouldn't be surprised to see the retirement age raised to more of a proper retirement age, like 60-65.

Thai folk retire at 60, there are countries l believe earlier, why should we be treated differently...?

I agree that 50 seems too low, and my guess is it's on the table.

I know of several people who were able to get one year mutable entry non immigrant o visas based on having a long term relationship with their Thai girlfriend, from their home countries, you might want to try that.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'd hate to be a TV forum moderator when they either raise the qualification age for a retirement visa, make medical insurance mandatory and/or raise the 800k or monthly income requirements.

For each pensioner claiming to be "very comfortable" here in Thailand, there are 10 hanging on by their fingernails.

Remember when the pound sterling hit the 40s and the EUR went to high 30s?

Grown men crying

Edited by Cypress Hill
  • Like 2

I'd hate to be a TV forum moderator when they either raise the retirement age for qualification, make medical insurance mandatory and/or raise the 800k or monthly income requirements.

For each pensioner claiming to be "very comfortable" there are 10 hanging on by their fingernails.

Remember when the pound sterling hit the 40s and the EUR went to high 30s?

Grown men crying

Grandfathered.............coffee1.gif

• Like 1