Yingluck’s lawyer asks the NACC not to rush the case

Lite Beer

Yingluck’s lawyer asks the NACC not to rush the case

4-3-2014-11-28-38-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Apparently unperturbed by the latest rejection of the National Anti-Corruption Commission, former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s lawyer asked the graft-busting body not to rush the case and to allow eight more defence witnesses to testify regarding the rice pledging scheme.

Mr Narawich Chaengla argued that he merely wanted to seek justice for Ms Yingluck because the NACC’s charge against her was one-sided and mainly based on the information from the closing accounting subcommittee headed by Ms Supa Piyajitti.

He said that both the Public Warehouse Organisation and the Marketing Organisation for Farmers have challenged the subcommittee’s claim of substantial amount of rice has gone missing from the stockpiles.

The lawyer also pointed out that the NACC took only 21 days to wrap up the case against Ms Yingluck and there are several people who were involved in the rice pledging scheme who are yet to testify to the NACC.

Because the rice pledging scheme involved a lot of money and, as such, he said that the NACC should be fair to the accused.

He also insisted that the case would not be delayed even if the eight defence witnesses were given a chance to testify in defence of the former prime minister.

Ms Yingluck is facing a charge of negligence of duty in overseeing the rice pledging schem causing heavy damages to the state.’

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/yinglucks-lawyer-asks-nacc-rush-case/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=yinglucks-lawyer-asks-nacc-rush-case

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-16

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to enjoy watching this one unfold.

I wonder how far away all the figures for the rice mess are going to be from the physical count.

I go with about 15% water, and bug infested, along with at least 15% mould.

About 5mn tonnes of product that is all still there, but unusable.

"Because the rice pledging scheme involved a lot of money and, as such, he said that the NACC should be fair to the accused."

With the NACC warning begin of 2013 and Ms. Yingluck having said mid-2013 to have listened, I would assume the NACC didn't really show to be in a hurry or to be unfair.

BTW did the lawyer mean to suggest that with minor losses no fairness would be required?

Anyway if or when the NACC will rule Ms. Yingluck to have been very negligent indeed and recommend further action I would assume Ms. Yingluck and her legal team will get all time in the world, can hand to the court involved a rather extensive list of witness they'd like to tell all relevant.

Edited by rubl

Nothing wrong with not rushing things. The darling of Isan isn't the fastest person around either.

..."the NACC took only 21 days to wrap up the case against Ms Yingluck"...

Then another three weeks to conclude things should be enough. Let the games continue...

I wonder how far away all the figures for the rice mess are going to be from the physical count.

Your stance is that none of the rice is missing. Do you think the elaborate scaffold found in a near empty warehouse with a few bags of rice neatly surrounding it was done a) to increase aeration of grain in the silo, or B) an elaborate time consuming cover-up of a well organized rice theft?

And what is this 5 million tonnes in storage? The PTP was only joking about all the mega deals to china,iraq,nigeria , wherever. They didn't actually sell any. None. There is still supposed to be about 18 million tonnes of what was once rice sitting there, is there not?

• Like 2

Well its allready packed in bags so maybe they can use all those bags in the next flooding, save them time too and no need to find sand and plastic bags whistling.gif

Suitable punishment would be to force anyone that was involved in this scandal to eat a portion of this molded mash until the stock is gone.

What about the warehouse managers. Surely they have played some part in this mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by maxme

I thought the ongoing inspections from the NCPO have so far actually confirmed Ms Supa's claims

isn't this obvious

all the senior MP's and Deputy PM's spent the last two and a half years counting sacks of rice - that is why they never had time to actually run the country and why it went down the toilet, Yinglucs absence is now explained , she was organising rice counting trips up north

"Because the rice pledging scheme involved a lot of money and, as such, he said that the NACC should be fair to the accused."

With the NACC warning begin of 2013 and Ms. Yingluck having said mid-2013 to have listened, I would assume the NACC didn't really show to be in a hurry or to be unfair.

BTW did the lawyer mean to suggest that with minor losses no fairness would be required?

Anyway if or when the NACC will rule Ms. Yingluck to have been very negligent indeed and recommend further action I would assume Ms. Yingluck and her legal team will get all time in the world, can hand to the court involved a rather extensive list of witness they'd like to tell all relevant.

"Because the rice pledging scheme involved a lot of money and, as such, he said that the NACC should be fair to the accused taxpayer"

I reckon they should put the case on hold until the rice count is completed. THEN they can decide if further witnesses for her are going to be material to her situation or not. If there is a real big amount missing then the case gets easier for them to decide. It is only about negligence not actual corruption. That, could of course come later depending on the results of the accounting in the sheds and in the driver/gardener's bank accounts. And anyone claiming that it only took 21 days to investigate the case before putting it to trial should be slapped with contempt of court. Although,they now seem to be using different wording. I wonder if "wrap-up" the case means the same as investigate, if not what is the legal meaning of "wrap up the case? Doesn't sound a very legal-speak term to me. Mind you, In "The 2557 Thainess Cultural Dictionary" anything is possible. And I am only a (very poor) Falang who would/could not understand

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

Now she has asked to be allowed to leave the country to visit her brother.

No wonder she wants to delay the verdict ...... until after she has left the country.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just how can we be sure that the audit can be conclusive when soldiers are implicated in stealing large amount of rice. Don't see the rationale to rush since the mission to get rid of her and the government has been accompished.

looking for a way out if she gets a delay in the court proceedings.

Indeed. She delayed and delayed replying to the Ombudsman's questions on the passport her cousin illegally issued to her brother. That seems to have simply all died a death, presumably as the Ombudsman gave up hope of ever being answered or was scared off.

She probably thinks that this will simply go away too if she can delay long enough; or maybe big brother will somehow get the family back in power and make it go away.

The longer it drags on and the more she can delay it the more chance of wiggling out. The lawyer is playing the game as all lawyers do when they have little real material to work with,

• Like 1

Just how can we be sure that the audit can be conclusive when soldiers are implicated in stealing large amount of rice. Don't see the rationale to rush since the mission to get rid of her and the government has been accompished.

She certainly never rushed to pay the farmers on time; or take action to prevent the suicides of so many ruined by her family's scheme.

There is a need to action this expeditiously to get at all the information before it's "lost" for whatever reasons; to get the real information of exactly how much has been lost; and to make sure it can never be repeated. Part of that is showing people quick action can be taken when necessary. Not rush and/or sloppy but quick and thorough.

• Like 2

Now she has asked to be allowed to leave the country to visit her brother.

No wonder she wants to delay the verdict ...... until after she has left the country.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good one.

"I'm facing investigations and probes on serious charges, with possibly more to follow. I would like leave the country to visit my convicted criminal fugitive brother who fled to avoid a jail sentence rather that appeal it and face the other 15 outstanding criminal charges against him. I will come back when required".

Hmmm. Would you trust her to return?

Didn't someone file murder charges against her already too?

Edited by Baerboxer