New non-ED entrance at Sadao report.

Friend of mine just returned with a brand new non-ED visa from Penang.

63 years old, 12 years on multiple non-B then 3 years on triple entry tourist visas, stayed outside Thailand 3 months / year last three years.

Successful land border crossing at Sadao.

• Like 2

ED visa is not a workable long stay solution. It is good for 3 years only.

That is not correct. It is possible to stay on extensions of stay (not a visa) based upon going to school for many years.

The 3 years number is just the longest course of study some language schools can offer. Others can give you up to 5 years. You can change what you are going to school for and stay even longer.

• Like 1

ED visa is not a workable long stay solution. It is good for 3 years only.

That is not correct. It is possible to stay on extensions of stay (not a visa) based upon going to school for many years.

The 3 years number is just the longest course of study some language schools can offer. Others can give you up to 5 years. You can change what you are going to school for and stay even longer.

We don't have any verifiable information about changes to the ED extension yet, do we? I know there has been talk of extra testing (which I'm fine with) but, we haven't yet seen anything about changes to the rules around getting the extension itself have we?

I'm all paid up and ready to go for January, but if there are extra hoops to jump through, I'd rather not wait until December to find out about them.

Now it will become virtually impossible to stay longer than 60 days per year (+30 days extension) in the country as a tourist, you can expect a huge amount of people applying for an ED-visa.

So, I wouldn't make any long term plans, because it's very likely that the rules for the ED-visa will change too.

Edited by kriswillems