Hamas and Israel agree five-hour Gaza ceasefire

webfact

Hamas and Israel agree five-hour Gaza ceasefire

JERUSALEM: -- Hamas and Israel have both agreed to respect a five-hour ceasefire in Gaza after nine days of fighting.

The Israeli military said it would stop firing from 10:00 to 15:00 (07:00-12:00 GMT) on Thursday to allow residents in Gaza to stock up on supplies.

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zukhri later confirmed that his group would also stop rocket attacks in that time.

Officials in Gaza say Israeli raids have left 220 Palestinians dead. Hamas rocket attacks have killed one Israeli.

Israeli army officer Brig Gen Yoav Mordechai told BBC Arabic that the ceasefire had been requested by the UN and other international organisations.

An Israeli military statement warned that Israel would respond "firmly and decisively" should Hamas launch attacks during the ceasefire window.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28334219

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-17

well guys,

you were all right.

Hamas started firing a few minutes before the end of the cease fire.

in the last 2 hours after the cease fire, they fired 50 rockets into Israel, including to central Israel area.

If Hamas is the problem here, how come I see 220 Palestinian casualties vs 1 Israeli?

Or how come that in the past 14 years Israel has killed 1400+ Palestinian children?

Israel occupies Palestine land, and they continue to pretend to be the victims whilst their aggression and bloodthirst are sickening to the core

If Hamas is the problem here, how come I see 220 Palestinian casualties vs 1 Israeli?

Or how come that in the past 14 years Israel has killed 1400+ Palestinian children?

Israel occupies Palestine land, and they continue to pretend to be the victims whilst their aggression and bloodthirst are sickening to the core

You see 220 Palestinian casualties because Hamas is the problem.

Because Hamas forces civilians to be human shields, because Hamas tunnels are only for Hamas fighters and because Hamas uses ONLY civilian locations to fire rockets.

Israel does not occupy Gaza and Israel is a victim of terror group who targets ONLY civilians

• Like 2

I bet Hamas fire the first shots after the ceasefire expires.

You would have won if any of the regular " Hamas defenders crew" took you up on the bet.

Hamas surely did and looking at the timing, they must have kept fingers on the trigger.

Where are all the Israeli casualties I ask you then?

Have you even see the map of the area say around 1960? And compare it every 5 years to see Israel's expansion into other people's land.

Israel is not the victim, they are the aggressor, the occupier, the nuclear superpower with state of the art military equipment. Palestinians are desperate people who lose their land, their freedom, wealth.

Imagine you being told to leave your home because a group of people is taking it over to make a settlement, as they claim it was promised to them by their God. You would go, because if you resist then you are the terrorist hurting the poor people who are taking your home

Have you even see the map of the area say around 1960? And compare it every 5 years to see Israel's expansion into other people's land.

Israel is not the victim, they are the aggressor, the occupier, the nuclear superpower with state of the art military equipment. Palestinians are desperate people who lose their land, their freedom, wealth.

Imagine you being told to leave your home because a group of people is taking it over to make a settlement, as they claim it was promised to them by their God. You would go, because if you resist then you are the terrorist hurting the poor people who are taking your home

Well protected by its military forcesw00t.gif

Hiding in bomb shelters built for civiliansw00t.gif

Warned of upcoming rocket fire to run to safety, instead of forced to stay in line of firew00t.gif

I am sorry i will not be getting into diabolical debate with you, plenty of threads running already with plenty of evidence and links.

• Like 2

'They went to the beach to play': Deaths of 4 children add to growing toll in Gaza conflict.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/17/world/meast/mideast-conflict-children/

The kids went to play football on the beach ...

The boys had apparently been told by their fisherman parents not to go outside amid the recurrent Israeli aerial attacks. But the urge to stretch their legs in the sunshine was too strong.

Kindergartens and summer camps in Israeli areas near Gaza have decamped to bomb shelters amid the incessant rocket fire.

In one bunker in the southern city of Ashkelon, a mother says she would like take her children away from the line of fire. But Hamas' missiles are reaching farther and farther,

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/17/world/meast/mideast-conflict-children/

"If Hamas is the problem here, how come I see 220 Palestinian casualties vs 1 Israeli?"

Have a look at the relative spending on scientific research and human advancement by Israel versus, say, Saudi Arabia. It is no surprise Israel is able to hold off hundreds of millions of Arabs if you look into how the latter have spent the oil money.

Edited by squarethecircle

I dont think the Israelis have to apologize that they have only a few dead...

If Hamas would invest the money they invest in rockets, in building shelters for the population, the numbers would drop, but Hamas doesnt have any interest to do so, since they deliberately use the citizens as human shields, and fire rockets from civilian centers. Its a win win situation for them: if Israel wouldnt attack the areas with civilians (as they do cancel missions in case of a certain civilian casualties), the rockets are saved.

On the other hand if Israel does fire towards the area, civilians are killed, and they have people like you defending/supporting them. Also not to mention new recruits from the deceased family...

Israel on the other hand invest money in developing defensive measures to protect civilians as the "iron dome" which intercept rockets, and they have a construction laws that define a must of a "safe shelter area" in all constructed buildings.

Further more, just yesterday and and 3 days ago, Israel shot down groups of Hamas terrorists on their way to execute mega terror attacks in Israel.

If Israel is a nuclear superpower and aggressor, how can you explain that the Hamas was always the instigator to these clashes, and in this one they refused 2 cease fire brokered by the Egyptians, and hardly could stop themselves from shooting while in a 5 hours cease fire?

Imagine you being told to leave the country where your ancestors were living in for thousands of years, and not allowed to take any possession because you are Jewish, and now some "other Jews" built their home in Israel?

That was the reality for 800,000 Arab Jews in Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Yemen and so on, when the Arabs blame them for the wars with Israel!

It is well documented that over 70% of ceasefires are violated by Israel. Yet the perception in the West is that the opposite is the case. So much for the claims here about 'Palestinian friendly media'!

well guys,

you were all right.

in the last 2 hours after the cease fire, they fired 50 rockets into Israel, including to central Israel area.

The simple fact that Hamas always breaks the cease fire is valuable information. The word Always should draw suspicion. This fighter is down 237 to 1 at this point and he tries to jump off his stool and get a quick sucker punch in before the bell. That is hardly believable for the most naive individuals. I am shocked it is so readily accepted.

For those who comment on why has Hamas not provided bomb shelters and the like, I believe the required materials were and are specifically banned for access by Hamas. Whether Hamas would build shelters for civilians if they had access to the necessay volume of material is an open question

"Israel will only permit their entry into Gaza to facilitate construction projects in Gaza which have been authorized by the PA and implemented and monitored by the international community. The often cited reason is that such materials could be used by Hamas for military purposes (building bunkers, fortifying positions and digging tunnels)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_imports

Edited by simple1

For those who comment on why has Hamas not provided bomb shelters and the like, I believe the required materials were and are specifically banned for access by Hamas. Whether Hamas would build shelters for civilians if they had access to the necessay volume of material is an open question

"Israel will only permit their entry into Gaza to facilitate construction projects in Gaza which have been authorized by the PA and implemented and monitored by the international community. The often cited reason is that such materials could be used by Hamas for military purposes (building bunkers, fortifying positions and digging tunnels)"

So they can sneak in missiles and rockets and military hardware, but they can't manage to build some shelters for the civilians?

Seems strange to me.

So they can sneak in missiles and rockets and military hardware, but they can't manage to build some shelters for the civilians?

Seems strange to me.

Absolutely fair point, not defending Hamas, just commenting. Hamas main focus would be focusing on supply to support and protect their 'war fighting' capability. God only knows how many thousands of tons of material required to build civilian shelters in their area of control, if indeed they would.

EDIT: Just located the article below that talks to this matter in some detail.

"Why Gaza doesn't have bomb shelters"

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2014/0717/Why-Gaza-doesn-t-have-bomb-shelters

• Like 1

It is well documented that over 70% of ceasefires are violated by Israel. Yet the perception in the West is that the opposite is the case. So much for the claims here about 'Palestinian friendly media'!

documented where,by who? The Iranian republic guards? the Hezbollah? the Hams terror organization?

Please spare the propaganda... lets talk about what we do know for sure in this time:

Hamas broke the last cease fire, and refused any other.

The Egyptians who brokered the cease fires, blamed directly the Hamas for the death of civilians because of their reluctance to accept it.

So where exactly the story is not clear at this point?

• Like 1

well guys,

you were all right.

The simple fact that Hamas always breaks the cease fire is valuable information. The word Always should draw suspicion. This fighter is down 237 to 1 at this point and he tries to jump off his stool and get a quick sucker punch in before the bell. That is hardly believable for the most naive individuals. I am shocked it is so readily accepted.

The problem is that you dont think like they do.

They dont think they are down.

They think like a messianic jihadist, and you think like a reasonable man.

Hamas cultivates a culture of death and martyrdom.

For them dying as a "Shahid" is the best thing possible, except victory ofcourse.

The longer this conflict continues, the more shahids they have, the better it is for Hamas.

Also, there is a financial dimension here: The heads of Hamas makes billions of USDs from this conflict.

Once the conflict ends, their financing will end too...

If you still banging your head in the wall in disbelief, please dont take my word for it, watch this:

Hamas in their own voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i08L09V0_sg

Hamas use of human shield:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJlG3KXq8c

Hamas suicide bomber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owMoT1MKXDQ&NR=1

Seems strange to me.

Absolutely fair point, not defending Hamas, just commenting. Hamas main focus would be focusing on supply to support and protect their 'war fighting' capability. God only knows how many thousands of tons of material required to build civilian shelters in their area of control, if indeed they would.

EDIT: Just located the article below that talks to this matter in some detail.

"Why Gaza doesn't have bomb shelters"

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2014/0717/Why-Gaza-doesn-t-have-bomb-shelters

The link you brought was very informative, and also answers your questions.

Israel does restrict access to some materials which can be used by Hamas to attack Israel, including concrete that is used to build attack tunnels into Israel's territory, and also to reinforce their rockets with concrete heads, to cause more damage.

But considering the following:

1. Hamas cultivates a culture of martyrs and death.

2. Hamas used civilians and civilian centers as human shields.

3. Hamas makes use of dead civilians as a propaganda tool.

4. Hamas activists are motivated by hatred and revenge.

5. Hamas build hundreds of tunnels and bunkers to protect their armory, while the restriction still in place.

you can clearly understand that they wouldnt be worried with protection for non fighting civilians.

Here is a small video which demonstrates this well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJlG3KXq8c

You can clearly understand that Hamas

They have a number of bomb shelters and tunnels which can be used as bomb shelters, but civilians are not allowed there, only Hamas fighters.

• Like 1