Oops! there goes another one.

worgeordie

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Thailand wants to be the Hub of everything ,buy Subs,Fighter jets, Space ,give everybody 10K,

would be better spent on the Hub of reliable Utilities , then there's the water supply .........maybe for another time

I have a think... and I reckon it was mid 2022 the last time the power went out where I live.

For water... I have a 10,000lt under ground tank... what water supply issues ?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

it's not thunder I know that sound well now ,it's a transformer blowing up , well I don't actually know if the transformer blows or if they have fuses, but it's a big bang.

If Big Bang, then it is a Transformer explosion, or the echo from the beginning of our Universe.

Read here:  https://www.mes.com.sg/2022/04/27/power-transformer-explosion-why-it-happens-and-what-to-do/#:~:text=A lightning strike from a,fluid beyond its fire point.

image.png.f6d8d955c20decfc25308823c873e307.png

When they explode close to your bedroom window, the sound is so loud that....it's....

SHOCKING!

During the past 10 years, IMHO, the supply of reliable electric power has improved, at least around CMU, and also several other places close to the center of Chiang Mai.  (A few years ago, maybe 8, these areas would experience frequent power outages every year, during the transition from the HOT Season to the Raining Season.  But, not these days, it seems.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I have a think... and I reckon it was mid 2022 the last time the power went out where I live.

Bit over the top that (if something underground can be over the top!) I manage quite well with a couple of big dustbins in the bathroom!😃

We've had thunderstorms for the last few nights, the electricity supply out here in rural Chiang Rai does seem a bit fragile!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

10,000 sounds like a lot of water, but actually, not, as you can plainly see.....

image.png.e6f8d17c851cd3f6dc3286c94016abe5.png

For proper water security, I would recommend that you install at least FOUR of these.

a.  Two on the Roof, for sure, in case you run out of electric power.

b. Two below ground, in case the two tanks on your roof cause the house to collapse....

Be prepared.

Act proactively, in advance.

Also, if below ground, then routine cleaning and maintenance of these tanks might be more difficult.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

And how do you get the water if you have no electricity for the pump?

As I stated:  Just locate the 10,000-liter tank on the highest part of the roof of your house. (Ooops!)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

And how do you get the water if you have no electricity for the pump?

if there no electric what do I need water for ?

The last power outage in 2022 went for less than 30 mins.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

Our problem is not rain, but snakes

Same same. Had one trip 1 out of the 3 only 9 days ago at about 5.30pm. Being on a Saturday at that time I was prepared for it to take a while but in fact was fixed within an hour. Is a not irregular occurrence in the moo baan.......

Cannot see how you can guard against it short of redesigning transformers.......

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I believe I have posted this before. Occurred in my mooban about 4 years ago.

No joke this happens at least once a year where my wife works. Same thing every time. Poor guys, I wish Thailand had more squirrels, I quite like them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I believe I have posted this before. Occurred in my mooban about 4 years ago.

No electricity.jpg

somchai adding charcoal nuggets to his little grill...good eating tonight with some lao kao and sticky rice:)

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As I stated:  Just locate the 10,000-liter tank on the highest part of the roof of your house.

Better you than me.

I would have reservations walking around on some of the roof construction I see let alone stick a load of 10 tonne up there......or as another said , a couple of them, so 20 tonne.

They do have IC engine driven pumps to cover any emergency these days you know.

As for the fuse links, 2 out would normally indicate a line overload, 3 out a blown tranny.

Edited by bluejets

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

but they are thai squirrels--so they are suspicious of falangs 🙂

There aren't more because the locals eat anything thy can catch. There is no conservation for anything besides in provincial parks, and I'm sure they get their share of poachers besides the rich who think they can shoot leopards and get away with it. Most lakes that aren't too deep are netted out, so the smaller fish the bigger fish, the predatory ones, need to eat to get bigger are pretty much gone., leaving the bigger fish without a food supply. Back home you get a certain amount of fish you can catch a day, with rod and reel, and if you keep more you are fined. This is why there are deer, small game, game birds and fish everywhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Sitting in the kitchen watching YouTube on the PC , it starts raining ,well drizzle really ,then a gust of wind blows through the window ,then a Bang ! off in distance , Electric goes off,

it's not thunder I know that sound well now ,it's a transformer blowing up , well I don't actually know if the transformer blows or if they have fuses, but it's a big bang.

It's only rained 2 times this year and been windy and both times a Transformer has blown , electric off , so it's not looking good for the rainy season ,when it starts ,

It's not as though I am out of the way ,it's a Moo Bahn , and if I could stand on my roof ,two story ,I could see the Electrical plant ,maybe 3 Kilo away , so am I living in a twilight zone ,where everytime the wind blows and it rains the electric goes off, or is there anyone else that   has the same problems ?     over an hour later it has come back on.

The problem is just not mine, there's a  wet market ,many other shops , a Tops but I see they have a big generator and it's been going on for years.

Thailand wants to be the Hub of everything ,buy Subs,Fighter jets, Space ,give everybody 10K,would be better spent on the Hub of reliable Utilities , then there's the water supply .........maybe for another time

regards worgeordie

That sometimes happens here in Sattahip when a dog piddles up against a lamppost.😉

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As I stated:  Just locate the 10,000-liter tank on the highest part of the roof of your house. (Ooops!)

errrrrr..  generator and transfer switch,,,,    works every time

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

a.  Two on the Roof, for sure, in case you run out of electric power.

if the electric goes out for an extended period of time i can out into the pump house... turn a few ballcock valves and then the house is fed from the mains supply.

Living 45 km North of Chiang Mai, we have almost daily short cut-outs and over the year at least 5-10 longer ones of a few hours each, depending on the strength of the rainy season and the root system of trees lining the roads. We are all setup for it, with UPS's for all sensitive electronics, emergency lights and a hard-wired 5 kW generator with an automatic transfer switch. We only turn it on if the power is out for more than 30 minutes (fuel is expensive) and it doesn't have to work very hard, PEA are normally fairly quick reparing the damage even at night. There are 2 food processing factories nearby that are dependent on uninterupted power supply, so PEA have become a bit more responsive since they started operating. Occaisionally we still get a whopper of a black-out that lasts more than 12 hours. A few years back we were without power for almost 2 full days, when a truck driver crashed into a road-side electricity pillar, which subsequently dragged down another 5. It is just the way it is where we live, our side of the road, tends to have more power outages than the neighbours on the opposite side of the road. Always has been. Part of the charm of living in Thailand...

2 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

We live in remote rural northern Thailand and have approx 8-10 power outages a year, mostly during the summer storm season. The local PEA is very responsive in both fixing them and in using LINE to communicate what has happened, where, the extent of the outage and anticipated repair time. They use the wife to check whether there is power in our local area since we are right on the end of one of the distribution lines. 90% of the time the outage has been caused by trees falling on lines. In the last five years I can only recall one transformer blowing, was about 500 meters away and made quite a bang; don't know the cause. The longest outage we've had in the same period was three years ago...18 hours. There had been massive fall of trees across lines due to a substantially stronger storm than usual. We've had a few in the 3-5 hours duration but the majority are fixed inside 2 hours. The local PEA is also very good at advising of planned outage details, generally starting on time and being less than the advised anticipated duration. We've also noticed they change planned outages where there are sufficient requests.

Ditto my home in Samoeng loses power constantly during storms and it's because all the power lines are running along roads in the mountains and when a tree a falls it will take down the lines.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Sitting in the kitchen watching YouTube on the PC , it starts raining ,well drizzle really ,then a gust of wind blows through the window ,then a Bang ! off in distance , Electric goes off,

It's only rained 2 times this year and been windy and both times a Transformer has blown , electric off , so it's not looking good for the rainy season ,when it starts ,

It's not as though I am out of the way ,it's a Moo Bahn , and if I could stand on my roof ,two story ,I could see the Electrical plant ,maybe 3 Kilo away , so am I living in a twilight zone ,where everytime the wind blows and it rains the electric goes off, or is there anyone else that   has the same problems ?     over an hour later it has come back on.

The problem is just not mine, there's a  wet market ,many other shops , a Tops but I see they have a big generator and it's been going on for years.

Thailand wants to be the Hub of everything ,buy Subs,Fighter jets, Space ,give everybody 10K,would be better spent on the Hub of reliable Utilities , then there's the water supply .........maybe for another time

regards worgeordie

There are always reasons to spend money in a better way for better purposes.....in many countries. 

(Are you new in Thailand?😂)

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, newbee2022 said:

There are always reasons to spend money in a better way for better purposes.....in many countries. 

(Are you new in Thailand?😂)

35 years living here ....and still waiting for change ,

regards worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, 0ffshore360 said:

So is the inference that  the PEA or MEA or just Thai people in general are  careless about when and where lightening strikes screws up a solitary whining expat's  enjoyment of  yt content ?

20 years ago even a thunder storm in the far distance would predict an all night silent darkness if such event occurred after sunset.

Now at worst is maybe an hour or two.

That the custodians of a Market Place have used initiative to install an emergency generator is to their credit both for social and financial  reason.

Electrical plant ?

A few years ago I had to visit the PEA workshop/yard , they had lots of transformers there ,

all had Chinese writing on them , maybe it's the quality of transformers they are buying ,

while lightning strikes maybe a part of what's happening , it occurs mostly when it rains

and or the wind blows...

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

35 years living here ....and still waiting for change ,

regards worgeordie

Well, be honest now. There have been many changes since the last 35 years...

More westernised, more fakes (boobs eg), more obesity, more scams, less originality, less Thai culture, less respect.

Please add your own observations 🙏

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2