Double and Triple Entry Visa's - does it make sense to get one right now?

I know this topic has been discussed in some other threads - however, there seems to be no special topic on this issue.

I just called a Thai consulate in my home country: They told me that they are still issuing Double and Triple Entry visa's as usual!

However, given the current crackdown, I'm not sure whether it makes sense to apply for one right now, since you can always be denied entry at the border... So, I am wondering why they keep on issuing this type of visa?! Some of my questions are:

- What are your experiences at the border, using double and triple entry visa's right now?

- And ... how about this case:

"Let's assume someone has a SINGLE entry tourist visa, and leaves to Laos or any other country to get a Non-B or ED visa approved. In case the documents are not ok, something is missing, or just in case there is another problem and you have to go back to Thailand - will you be allowed to re-enter?! o_O Either on visa exemption, or with a new tourist visa?!"

Please share your thoughts and experiences!

Thank you!!

• Like 1

You will not be denied entry with a Tourist visa. For peace of mind carry with you 20,000 thb (or equivalent) in cash, hotel reservations, outgoing ticket reservations.

To re-enter with the same visa with which you have left without activating a new entry, use a re-entry permit, 1,000 thb at immigration or airport.

Edited by paz

So, do you think second and third entries on Double and Triple Entry Tourist Visas can still be used? (if you leave for, let's say, 2-3 days only?)

I just got a new passport so there are no stamps in it, but I got a history of different visa's (including some tourist visa's) in my old passport unsure.png.pagespeed.ce.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

The problem has been just for few, that have an history of back-to-back visa, and only at some land border posts.

It may be different in the near future, or at the border / airport that you will use. It is simply unknown at this time.

Beside, ask yourself, what's the alternative ? Come without a visa ? Do not not come at all ?

Edited by paz

I was thinking about getting an ED visa with a language school. But that's an expense and docs won't be ready before I go back to Thailand.

However, I actually intend to find a new job and get a Non-B. (even though I'm worried that, if documentation is not ok when applying for it, it won't be possible to re-enter Thailand crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkU.png)

(And, later on, to marry my boyfriend wub.png ... but I don't want to rush this just because of this stupid visa crackdown!!! mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif It's ridiculous!)

,,, Anyway - the changes are a serious problem. I am worrying a lot lately sad.png

Well I have no choice. I bought a plane ticket over four months ago with no flight insurance. I'm coming with a triple entry visa in August. I will have the 20,000 baht a copy of my flight itinerary out and a passport with a single entry last year when I arrived at the airport. The only thing I won't have is a hotel reservation because I'm staying with my girlfriend. I do however have her address and phone number. I'd rather not have to spend a few days in Cambodia because I've already been. I wonder if they'll let me back in same day?

You can do the new entry in Laos for a change. Or fly to Malaysia. Or anything else that opportunity and curiosity will suggest.

I think the right time to worry is when time is up, not now.

You will not be denied entry with a Tourist visa. For peace of mind carry with you 20,000 thb (or equivalent) in cash, hotel reservations, outgoing ticket reservations.

To re-enter with the same visa with which you have left without activating a new entry, use a re-entry permit, 1,000 thb at immigration or airport.

Could you clarify this 20,000 THB requirement? Surely this doesn't mean cash in hand since first time tourists to Swampy may not have any baht at all. They exchange it or withdraw it from an ATM once they pass through immigration at the airport. One only has to prove that you have the funds in a bank account? In which case, I would think a screen shot of one's current online bank account might suffice, no?

Could you clarify this 20,000 THB requirement? Surely this doesn't mean cash in hand since first time tourists to Swampy may not have any baht at all. They exchange it or withdraw it from an ATM once they pass through immigration at the airport. One only has to prove that you have the funds in a bank account? In which case, I would think a screen shot of one's current online bank account might suffice, no?

It's a requirement that has been in place since a long time, and now resurfaced as Immigration look for reasons to give people an hard time combat abuse.

Cash in hand, foreign currency OK. Forget screenshots.

It's a requirement that has been in place since a long time, and now resurfaced as Immigration look for reasons to give people an hard time combat abuse.

Cash in hand, foreign currency OK. Forget screenshots.

Thanks. How many people have been refused because of this requirement?

There is no published count wink.png

There are reports of refusals at south land borders.

Better safe than sorry.

Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the warning. So you are advising all repeat visitors (we are the suspicious ones, after all) with any kind of tourist visa to have 20,000 baht (or equivalent) on them in cash when they arrive at Swampy and they the re-enter Thailand for any subsequent entries? I don't recall seeing this requirement when I obtained previous tourist visas from my home country Thai consulate. I wonder what they will say when I ask them about it.

Sure hope this madness doesn't continue for much longer. It's insane.

By the way: Any news regarding tourist visa extensions?

I just saw another thread regarding this, but only "single entry tourist visa"-extensions were discussed.

How about extending double and triple entry visa's (e.g. first extension after 2 months, leaving the country after 3 months, coming back)

... I know this might be difficult right now - but what if you don't have any other tourist visa's in your passport?!

Thanks for the warning. So you are advising all repeat visitors (we are the suspicious ones, after all) with any kind of tourist visa to have 20,000 baht (or equivalent) on them in cash when they arrive at Swampy and they the re-enter Thailand for any subsequent entries? I don't recall seeing this requirement when I obtained previous tourist visas from my home country Thai consulate. I wonder what they will say when I ask them about it.

Most consulate workers just know which day is payday.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/340437-new-requirements-to-enter-thailand/

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

By the way: Any news regarding tourist visa extensions?

I just saw another thread regarding this, but only "single entry tourist visa"-extensions were discussed.

How about extending double and triple entry visa's (e.g. first extension after 2 months, leaving the country after 3 months, coming back)

... I know this might be difficult right now - but what if you don't have any other tourist visa's in your passport?!

Not difficult at all. No reports anywhere of trouble extending 60 to 90, for whatever number of entries visas.

immigration at malaysia borders have recently bee. quoted saying "you are not a tourist if u stay more than 30 days". at the exact same time they let people with back to back double entry tourist visa through without any questions at all in nong khai and mae sai.

point being, it's impossible to tell how the chips will fall after august 12. and it may not be consistent for all border checkpoints.

simply having cash has not been enough at the Malaysia borders these last few days. read in other threads.. "stranded in malaysia" etc. they simply refuse all people doing in-out on tourist visa and visa exemption

Wouldn't it be a nice situation if everyone obeyed the laws of Thailand.

Then all this in-out nonsense would not have arisen.

Blaming Thais for their own laws? Wow. Some of you think you are so hi-so you ought to be on intergalactic visas.

• Like 2

Better safe than sorry.

There will probably never be official figures published. Immigration does not have to give any reason to deny entry, though they may do.

However there was a well publicised case if the Russian woman who was refused entry in Phuket who didn't have the cash or an airline ticket and had a history of back to back entry's who had to go to Malasia.

It later turned out that immigration's suspicion that she was working illegaly was true.

• Like 1

What exactly is the difference between a Tourist Visa on Arrival, and a rentry permit?

I could never find any answer on any web resources.

Well I have no choice. I bought a plane ticket over four months ago with no flight insurance. I'm coming with a triple entry visa in August. I will have the 20,000 baht a copy of my flight itinerary out and a passport with a single entry last year when I arrived at the airport. The only thing I won't have is a hotel reservation because I'm staying with my girlfriend. I do however have her address and phone number. I'd rather not have to spend a few days in Cambodia because I've already been. I wonder if they'll let me back in same day?

Why on earth would you have a problem, you haven't even been to Thailand since 2013

Some are panicking way way too much on here. It's slightly embarrassing to be fair.

What exactly is the difference between a Tourist Visa on Arrival, and a rentry permit?

I could never find any answer on any web resources.

There is no "Tourist Visa on Arrival"

There is a visa exempt for many country's.

There is a Visa on Arrival for some country's.

A rentry permit will alow you to keep your permission to stay alive. If, for example, you have a 1 year permission to stay stamp and your original visa has expired. With a rentry permit you can leave and re enter and keep the same date as on your "1 year permission to stay stamp "

If you leave without a rentry permit any permission to stay stamp is void.

simply having cash has not been enough at the Malaysia borders these last few days. read in other threads.. "stranded in malaysia" etc. they simply refuse all people doing in-out on tourist visa and visa exemption

At least one of them had also an exit ticket from Thailand.

But this guy at Mae Sot was granted 7 days, maybe his ticket (i am not sure he was able to change the date ) saved his arse, at least he could go to collect his stuff.

Can you imagine people who left stuff at some hotel rooms ? Like laptop with sensitive information inside ?

I was thinking about getting an ED visa with a language school. But that's an expense and docs won't be ready before I go back to Thailand.

However, I actually intend to find a new job and get a Non-B. (even though I'm worried that, if documentation is not ok when applying for it, it won't be possible to re-enter Thailand crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkU.png)

(And, later on, to marry my boyfriend wub.png ... but I don't want to rush this just because of this stupid visa crackdown!!! mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif It's ridiculous!)

,,, Anyway - the changes are a serious problem. I am worrying a lot lately sad.png

Getting an ED visa is an expense????

A 1 years ed visa is about 20,000 baht, that peanuts for a years visa

A 1 years ed visa is about 20,000 baht, that peanuts for a years visa

I don't know how you can get such a low amount

when you add prices of visa, extensions, school, travels...

Exactly!

Plus: It seems that it will soon be very difficult to get an ED visa approved.