Mae Sai border run today, 17 July 2014

MESmith

Drove up there today to get the last 90 days before my non-O visa expires.  No problems whatsoever getting stamped out or back in.  No need to show 20,000 baht (I had it just in case, never before).

I didn't see any foreigners (excluding Burmese) crossing the border.

The market on the Thai side was VERY quiet, even very few Thais.  

Last trip up there for the a while - booked my extension at CNX immigration for 2 months time....

There should not be any problems with a Non O, a genuine long term visa. But a neighbour , a young Russian lady who has been here for 10 mths on b to b visas has been told that she has to get out next month. She says that she and her friends are going to live in Cambodia. So is Cambodia about to become the next Russian outpost.

I wasn't expecting any problems, but you never know in the current climate.  They can ask you to show sufficient funds (20,000).  Also they might argue that multiple entry means leaving the country for a while & coming back after a period of time, not coming back after a few minutes.

There should not be any problems with a Non O, a genuine long term visa. But a neighbour , a young Russian lady who has been here for 10 mths on b to b visas has been told that she has to get out next month. She says that she and her friends are going to live in Cambodia. So is Cambodia about to become the next Russian outpost.

Not next the have been for some time.

My wife and I have been living between Vietnam and Thailand for the last few years. We are "long term" tourist, not working in any country. We like to spend 6 months here in Thailand on Double Entry Tourist Visas with extensions and the other 6 months in Vietnam and just renew our 3 months visa while we are in the country (Visas are MUCH easier in Vietnam). We are due to activate our second visa on August 18th and planned to go to Mae Sai. Obviously, we have a history of B2B visas in the Kingdom.

Not sure if we'll even bother to go to Mae Sai. Not interested at all to get stuck in Myanmar... The crappy thing is that we, for the first time, signed a lease on a Condo and a gave a couple months deposit. Should have kept living in Serviced Apartment... We'll talk to the landlord and try to get out of the lease.

This crackdown really suck big time for us, as we are not working here and really love Thailand. We'll probably just move to Vietnam again and, instead of coming back here, we'll make our way to South America instead.

• Like 2

My wife and I have been living between Vietnam and Thailand for the last few years. We are "long term" tourist, not working in any country. We like to spend 6 months here in Thailand on Double Entry Tourist Visas with extensions and the other 6 months in Vietnam and just renew our 3 months visa while we are in the country (Visas are MUCH easier in Vietnam). We are due to activate our second visa on August 18th and planned to go to Mae Sai. Obviously, we have a history of B2B visas in the Kingdom.

Not sure if we'll even bother to go to Mae Sai. Not interested at all to get stuck in Myanmar... The crappy thing is that we, for the first time, signed a lease on a Condo and a gave a couple months deposit. Should have kept living in Serviced Apartment... We'll talk to the landlord and try to get out of the lease.

This crackdown really suck big time for us, as we are not working here and really love Thailand. We'll probably just move to Vietnam again and, instead of coming back here, we'll make our way to South America instead.

I'd wait until you get full and proper confirmation from the Thai authorities (well at least whoever is responsible for letting you in-and-out) before packing your bags, seems like they are just cracking down on the many people who are openly f------ with their system. Methinks you won't get "stuck" in Myanmar, worst case scenario is they'll give you a stamp in saying "this is the last time" or like this, but bring proof of finances (to show you are a genuine tourist) and proof of what you paid on the lease on the condo. Thailand makes too much $$ off of people like you to bring on a full-hammer crackdown, but people illegally making their living on tourist visas should prepare to pack, my .02 anyways after 

Yeah, that was our plan, waiting to get more information before making any move. But we will probably try to get out of the lease anyway as this can be time consuming to finalize and there's quite a bit of money involved. No big deal to move, just a couple suitcases.

But instead of going to Myanmar, we might just turn this into a mini-vacation. Maybe go to Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi for a week. Safer than risking Myanmar!

But I agree with you, we might just get a "this is the last time" stamp, which would be just fine with us.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that Thailand really need to rework their visa situation. A Freelancer Visa would be a great idea as well as a "Long Term" Tourist visa. Of course, you'd need to have proof of income or proof of "wealth" but I do believe that this would solve the visa issues for many people that are bringing some money into the country without stealing Thai employment.

I think they know a lot of the over 50 crowd are breaking the rules, but they likely have some income.  But still there are ads, get a retirement visa, no 800K needed, etc..The ED visa is almost reasonable, but then again, some can't speak a word of thai on their third 90 day check in.  If the youngsters are as well off as they claim; they can start a company, or get an elite card.

If I was 40, in a similar financial situation; I would be in Cambodia (which is a dirty pig-pin, but many nice benefits), or even the narco-state of Mexico.

Cuenca is popular (pictured), but lots of dirty backpackers....and not too sure about these coyote dancers.

Edited by Thighlander

"My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that Thailand really need to rework their visa situation. A Freelancer Visa would be a great idea as well as a "Long Term" Tourist visa. Of course, you'd need to have proof of income or proof of "wealth" but I do believe that this would solve the visa issues for many people that are bringing some money into the country without stealing Thai employment."

But still we haven't heard any confirmation that they are cracking down on people like you, have we? The people who are staying here for years on end, going in and out on the same day, etc., (I met multiple of these last time I went through Sadao) seem to be the target. 

"My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that Thailand really need to rework their visa situation. A Freelancer Visa would be a great idea as well as a "Long Term" Tourist visa. Of course, you'd need to have proof of income or proof of "wealth" but I do believe that this would solve the visa issues for many people that are bringing some money into the country without stealing Thai employment."

But still we haven't heard any confirmation that they are cracking down on people like you, have we? The people who are staying here for years on end, going in and out on the same day, etc., (I met multiple of these last time I went through Sadao) seem to be the target. 

I see no problem with 30 days for a tourist visa.

Maybe extend it to 45 days. That is all the time a tourist would need or probably have.

As for an earlier post of getting one with out the  money. I suspect that is where they loan you the money and reclaim it as soon as you get the Visa with a good interest rate on it.

"I see no problem with 30 days for a tourist visa.

Maybe extend it to 45 days. That is all the time a tourist would need or probably have."

Not so sure about that, you can live quite well (as in decent hotel rooms and decent meals) for $1000/month in SE Asia, so it is quite feasible for genuine tourists to be here for 6 months - 1 year. Maybe they are no longer considering these "tourists", though. Hopefully they can come up with some way for these people (such as me) to stay here, or maybe it is time to scrap the Thai language learning program? Actually I doubt it, I will continue studying.

• 4 weeks later...

I see no problem with 30 days for a tourist visa.

Maybe extend it to 45 days. That is all the time a tourist would need or probably have.

I disagree, the Thai tourist industry always had a lot of longer-term budget-travellers in the past, renting simple beach-bungalows & living more-cheaply. Plenty of people take a gap-year, between secondary-school & university, and therefore have more time to stay.

While not filling the up-market hotels, they did/do still generate jobs & income, and a lot of those backpackers came back again in later years, with higher budgets & partners or families.

I think that a 60-day visa-on-arrival, or even a 90-day one, would not be onerous for Immigration to administer, provided there was a strict-limit on immediate re-entry to prevent it from being abused by would-be longer-term residents ?

Were the Myanmar Immigration accepting $10 US bills?

They didn't when I went in June, but that doesn't mean they won't next time. I always carry a crisp $10 bill and try, sometimes it works.

I bet if thats all you had they would accept it quick smart.

"I see no problem with 30 days for a tourist visa.

Maybe extend it to 45 days. That is all the time a tourist would need or probably have."

Not so sure about that, you can live quite well (as in decent hotel rooms and decent meals) for $1000/month in SE Asia, so it is quite feasible for genuine tourists to be here for 6 months - 1 year. Maybe they are no longer considering these "tourists", though. Hopefully they can come up with some way for these people (such as me) to stay here, or maybe it is time to scrap the Thai language learning program? Actually I doubt it, I will continue studying.

A female relative and her boyfriend did a year in Thailand.

They were backpacking and lived cheaply, but they were genuine tourists,

They didn't when I went in June, but that doesn't mean they won't next time. I always carry a crisp $10 bill and try, sometimes it works.

I bet if thats all you had they would accept it quick smart.

if that is all you had they would not let you enter because you did not have enough money to take care of yourself or justify to yourself as a tourist

I've been through Mae Sai/Tachileik ~10 times over the past 2.5 years, they have always accepted my $10 bills. You can buy them for 350 baht at the money exchange in Mae Sai on the left a couple of hundred meters before the border, just near the police station.

Was OP's intention to talk about what sorts of crisp US currency is acceptable at this border point? No.

The serious interest, it seems, is for many Chiang Mai expatriates (many of whom seem to post here from time to time) used to making "visa runs" at Mae Sai/Tachileik. There could well be on-the-ground consequences of changes in Thai enforcement of existing Thai Immigration policy (if the government holds to its declaration of intent). People have been well warned. The actual implementation of enforcement will vary, most likely, from one border crossing to another. Mai Sai is simply the easiest and most convenient crossing for Chiang Mai expatriates.

In the meantime, if anyone with valid visas wants to shop in Tachileik, there probably will be no complaint with the current "easy transit" system at that border, so fresh currency should be handy in Myanmar. But, horror of horrors, what will happen if things tighten up any further, and a multiple-entry or re-entry permit is required !! Could happen. Think about it! Certainly, the Myanmar merchants of "bargain"merchandice (generally imported from China) in Tachileik are!

Well, those who wish, might try Mae Sot! What's the current "inside information" there?

Edited by Mapguy