Do Thai bank accounts expire if not used for a number of years?

When I started working in Thailand about 6 years ago, I needed to open a Thai bank account for some Thai tax purpose (I didn't pay the tax persnally, my company did on my behalf).

A few years later the need for the local account disappeared but I though I would keep it just in case.

I deposited a 1000 THB into it in Feb 2011 and forgot about it.

Now the need arose for me to have my own account again and I have no idea if it's still active or has been cancelled? Like I said the last time I touched it was Feb 2011.

Do they close and cancel the bank accounts if not used for some time? Even if there's money on account? It is a Krung Thai Bank - if it makes any difference.

Oh, and I'm out of the country ATM so no smart remarks why can't I go in and check, I would if I could.

On another note, is there a way to check it online? I have my bank book with me but I've never set this account up for online banking. Can I do it from internet or do I need to go into the bank to set it up?

Any ideas???

It could be closed now, because there would fee withdrawal (ATM 200 THB p/y) and IMHO if the amount is less then 500 THB and no account activity for more then 6 months they close it.

But to be certain just email them and ask

[email protected] <- Weird Email address in IMHO, but it might work else here is the contact form.

http://www.ktb.co.th/ktb/en/contactus.aspx

Edited by MJCM

If I give my account number to my wife, could she call and talk to them? Maybe there will be a better understanding between them instead of me sending the email? Would they give her that info?

And what about the online banking? What do I need to do to set up an online banking with Thai bank?

Edited by Shurup

Online banking (IMHO) you would need to be here at a counter with your Bankbook and passport.

I would try sending an email first and ask if the account is still alive, but of course you also could ask the missus to go and check.

Maybe (to make it easier) send her a scan of the first page (name page) of the Bank Book.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Will send her a scanned 1st page.

P.S. went to KTB online services page and oh my..... why there's so many options? With my Royal Bank of Canada, there's only one type of online banking... Thais sure don't like to keep things simple or there's some special Thai logic and me falang can not understand? LOL

When a Thai bank account drops below Bt2,000 and is inactive for 12 months (i.e., no user deposits/withdrawals), the bank will start charging a monthly Bt50 maintenance fee and once that fee consumes the entire balance the account is closed.

Pib question what about the ATM fee (200 Thb a year)

When a Thai bank account drops below Bt2,000 and is inactive for 12 months (i.e., no user deposits/withdrawals), the bank will start charging a monthly Bt50 maintenance fee and once that fee consumes the entire balance the account is closed.

Pib question what about the ATM fee (200 Thb a year)

That's bank activity...the bank charging you; it's not owner activity.

The fee continues to be applied until the account is closed.

And just to clarify, the less than B2,000 and no user activity for 12 months is what I've noticed is the policy of several large Thai banks like Bangkok Bank...each bank's policy could of course vary somewhat in terms of the amount of deposit, time frame for no user activity, etc.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

OP, you can call the bank to confirm whether your account is still open. They'll probably ask for your passbook account number...and maybe your passport number to confirm your identity.

How much money do you have in that account? If more then a couple of 1000s baht, then It wouldn't surprise me that the account is still open.

I've had an account with Kasikorn bank for 6 years.I checked it A year ago and everything was fine.

And I expect you have maintained at at least 2,000 baht in the account or had some user activity (a user deposit or withdrawal) every 12 months. If I had to guess you kept more than 2,000 baht in the account. Below is a cut and paste of K-bank's savings account maintenance fee policy...now what it don't say is once the account maintenance fee consumes the balance the account is then closed.

post-55970-0-69544300-1405648148_thumb.j

• Like 1