Must Eats in BKK

junglechef

Coming to BKK from Chiang Mai next week and want to spend a few day eating at some of not to miss places. I've lived in Thailand of 8 yrs so am familiar with the Thai food here. Happy to travel around the city and interested in all great local food and happy to pay as much or as little as need be. Previously I enjoyed Nam and Lord Jim's and had some of the street food in Chinatown which is fun but I didn't find any that were especially good. From my experience here it seems that a place might make one dish amazingly and I'm happy to go there just for that and progress somewhere else for something else. If it's great regional food that's what I'm looking for! What you say?

Thanks, JC

The cafe in the grounds of the Neilson-Hayes library on lower part of Suriwong. It belongs to the British Club but no need for membership. The food is cooked in the same kitchens as the club and is one way to get to eat their wonderful British puddings and cakes etc and teas/coffee. Very popular with lunchtime Thais also and they serve Thai food if you want. You could google the British club to see the kind of food they make. Highly recommended and you can visit the incredibly 'colonial' style and atmospheric library at the same time for a read and a snooze - they allow day entry without being a member. You could also tour the British club if you say you are thinking of joining.

Another one I like is along Sri Bumphen near the Malaysia Hotel - the original back-packer area before Khao san Road. It is the Italian LIDO and is well sign posted down a small soi. People travel there from all over. Nice desserts and pizzas. Also nearby is the iconic Mali restaurant owned by the inimitable Peter, an American icon - been there for decades and is a favourite of the Swedish Royal family (pics on wall to prove it). Simple regular food but great decor and good breakfasts - but don't get Peter onto the topic of Thai politics, if he is around, as he carries a walking stick!

Edited by Card

I live on Yen Akat Soi 2 and will vouch for both Lido and Mali. Also try Mama Dolores in the area for Lebanese food (pass on their Italian) as well as great Australian steaks. Also in the area is a Chinese place with no discernible name right off Rama IV (towards Sribumphen). If you can find it you'll be well rewarded by fantastic Chinese food at cheap prices.

Thanks for the suggestions but maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I wrote regional food I meant this region, S.E. Asia, and perhaps other Asian specialities. Looking for the best Thai food in the world and figure Bangkok would have lots to offer. Perhaps one meal that isn't as Chiang Mai doesn't really have any great steak, burgers or Mexican joints for instance.

• Like 1

Barn Kanitha. Two locations, Sathorn Rd near the Sukhothai Hotel and a second near Sukhumvit 21. For years it has been considered amongst the very few best of the best classic Thai restaurants in Bangkok!

You and your wife will enjoy it very much!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thanks for the suggestions but maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I wrote regional food I meant this region, S.E. Asia, and perhaps other Asian specialities. Looking for the best Thai food in the world and figure Bangkok would have lots to offer. Perhaps one meal that isn't as Chiang Mai doesn't really have any great steak, burgers or Mexican joints for instance.

Check this site: http://www.eatingthaifood.com

Great suggestions from all over the city.

• Like 1

Wow, if you don't like the Duke's for steaks and ribs or Miguel's for Mexican, you're pretty tough to please.

Duke's OK, but Miguels for "Mexican"? Please. There is no "Mexican" food in CM, and certainly not at Miguel's.

• Like 1

Barn Kanitha. Two locations, Sathorn Rd near the Sukhothai Hotel and a second near Sukhumvit 21. For years it has been considered amongst the very few best of the best classic Thai restaurants in Bangkok!

You and your wife will enjoy it very much!

Their business cards say "Baan Khanitha" and yes, it's excellent... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

La Monita for the pork carnitas Cali tacos.

For Mexican head to the place beside Paradise Park on Sri nakarin.

That's a bit of a trek to be honest...not tried the food yet....always end up there on a Monday when they are closed....dunno why....

Best bet , go to youtube .

Migrationology.

Mark i think the guys name is.

Just about every hidden jem in bkk.

Enjoy :-)

Edit , never could spell . :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes! It's the website I referred to in post #11. Great foodie stuff and amusing vids which you can find links to on his site.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My last trip to BKK I so wanted to try this place as it's reputation is excellent, but the wife refused to go as the name was too "vulgar"!

. . . and, as far as you're concerned, that was a good enough reason not to go, right?

Whipped or what?