Must Eats in BKK

junglechef

Wow, if you don't like the Duke's for steaks and ribs or Miguel's for Mexican, you're pretty tough to please.

First thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far.

Yes I am tough to please as I love food and hate wasting a good hunger on a mediocre steak when one can have a great Thai dish! As for Mexican having been to all the places in CM and some in BKK I haven't found one that is satisfying so I make it myself with my Mexican friends here with products that we both import for ourselves and make everything from scratch. To be honest, and I apologies if I come off as arrogant, but I can make most Western food better then any of the restaurants here being a classically trained French Chef. And then it's getting the product such as good steaks from the USA are banned here (only low quality Choice grade allowed as far as I understand) but the Argentinian place sound intriguing. But then again would you think the Thai food back home is any good now? As for buffets food not cooked to order is usually not exceptionally good and here where food handling practices are not the most professional I never have found a good one even at the high end hotels.

Finally there is lots of Thai food here I don't consider worthy and more and more due to laziness, the market place being controlled by the major corporations and the loss of the old ways of preparations among other things.

I have a Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/chiangmaigourmet if anyone wants to take a look see.

Looking forward to more posts!

On Soi 22 before the Imperial Queens Park hotel on the left as you come from Sukhumvit are two Thai restaurants.....first one is serving northern Thai food and I think very average....but the second one has excellent Thai curries....a favourite of mine.

My fave restaurant at the mo is som tam nua.

Located on navamin Road.

If you come from town on the ekkami expressway

Turn left on navamin 2 kilos up on the right.

Taxi should know the road.

Maybe a bit out of the centre though

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Another one I like is along Sri Bumphen near the Malaysia Hotel....

Right now, I wouldn't come close to anything with a word Malaysia in it...

That is really cold. Are you saying they are to blame? Apparently there were many airlines overlying the forsaken eastern Ukraine area. Why, not sure. But the Malaysians have just been plain unlucky. Good people, great airline, but damn unlucky. One has to presume the airline is finished.

Spidermike007

What do you expect ? There is nothing different or even insteresting in Bkk. Your only chance to find more food is Pattaya.

How does one even reply to such a fabulously ignorant comment like that? Nothing interesting in Bangkok. A world class SE Asian capital, with amazing people, great nightlife, world class public transport, Chatuchak Market, fantastic restaurants, some of the best food courts in the world (Siam Center comes to mind), etc, etc. I assume he was eating and staying only on Khoa San road? Wow. What can you say? Should have just left this one alone!

Spidermike007

Wow, if you don't like the Duke's for steaks and ribs or Miguel's for Mexican, you're pretty tough to please.

Yes I am tough to please as I love food and hate wasting a good hunger on a mediocre steak when one can have a great Thai dish! As for Mexican having been to all the places in CM and some in BKK I haven't found one that is satisfying so I make it myself with my Mexican friends here with products that we both import for ourselves and make everything from scratch. To be honest, and I apologies if I come off as arrogant, but I can make most Western food better then any of the restaurants here being a classically trained French Chef. And then it's getting the product such as good steaks from the USA are banned here (only low quality Choice grade allowed as far as I understand) but the Argentinian place sound intriguing. But then again would you think the Thai food back home is any good now? As for buffets food not cooked to order is usually not exceptionally good and here where food handling practices are not the most professional I never have found a good one even at the high end hotels.

Finally there is lots of Thai food here I don't consider worthy and more and more due to laziness, the market place being controlled by the major corporations and the loss of the old ways of preparations among other things.

I have a Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/chiangmaigourmet if anyone wants to take a look see.

J.C. just a side note. You wrote that you would like to get good steaks from the USA. Here is a link to a shop in Sacramento California. www.taylorsmarket.com and they will ship to Thailand.
  • Like 1

There's a Argentine Steak House on Sumkivite and Asok that is excellent served Groucho style. A bit pricey but well worth it.

Not criticizing, but instead for clarification; do you mean Sukhumvit, Asoke, and Gaucho?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My last trip to BKK I so wanted to try this place as it's reputation is excellent, but the wife refused to go as the name was too "vulgar"!

. . . and, as far as you're concerned, that was a good enough reason not to go, right?

Whipped or what?

I am not disagreeing with you at all.

However, dragging her to a resteraunt she does not like and enduring an hour or so of " bulldog chewing a wasp" face is simply not worth it.

BTW, my ringtone is the old Stones classic " Under My Thumb"

• Like 1

J.C. just a side note. You wrote that you would like to get good steaks from the USA. Here is a link to a shop in Sacramento California. www.taylorsmarket.com and they will ship to Thailand.

Funny thing is I hate to wast a comment on a mediocre or know-it-all supposed chef. "I've been trained" (as what) "as an executive chef" and I" have trained" with (who gives a crap, where are your restaurants?)

Here is a guy who thinks he knows it all without #1 knowing it all or #2 proving it. "I'm a culinary genius and I know food."

This post should read, "want-a-be who pretends he knows food." It's what's for dinner.

Sorry but I'm tired of the disrespect and the crap. Let's face, you were never a chef and now you are a self centred food critic. Horrible.

Here is a guy that knows nothing about US Beef in Thailand. I buy Us Beef.

Have a good time in Bangkok .

And I know THIS GUY.

Dave

• Like 2

There's a Argentine Steak House on Sumkivite and Asok that is excellent served Groucho style. A bit pricey but well worth it.

Not criticizing, but instead for clarification; do you mean Sukhumvit, Asoke, and Gaucho?

Yes!! Thanks for letting me know. I post via my android phone which has a built in dictionary and it trys to guess and insert the words you are putting in so i end up with misspelled words if I don't catch it in time.

Thanks for the suggestions but maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I wrote regional food I meant this region, S.E. Asia, and perhaps other Asian specialities. Looking for the best Thai food in the world and figure Bangkok would have lots to offer. Perhaps one meal that isn't as Chiang Mai doesn't really have any great steak, burgers or Mexican joints for instance.

Great steaks at Wine Connection bistros e.g. K Village Suk ski 26

La Monita for the pork carnitas Cali tacos.

For Mexican head to the place beside Paradise Park on Sri nakarin.

That's a bit of a trek to be honest...not tried the food yet....always end up there on a Monday when they are closed....dunno why....

Gotta give up the booze!! cheesy.gif

Somboon on Surawong- a bit touristy but the food Chinese/Thai seafoo is aroi mak mak. Try the oyster omelette and curry crab.

I love the food at Samboon. I go to the one at hwai kwang MRT.
very average seafood for big groups of tourists, try sornthong seafood on Rama 4 on the left (heading east) between suk soi 24 and 26 for something just way better. Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1