Why are there a different rules for Westerners and Asian Workers?

A person from Cambodia comes to thailand to work.

He gets a job in a factory and all the work permit / paperwork is quickly taken care of.

A person from the UK comes to thailand to work.

He gets a job teaching english, but has to wait possibly a few months and fill out a pile of documents / paperwork for his work permit.

Why is there a difference for different foreigners? Isn't this a double standard?

Or am I not understanding the matter correctly?

Anyone know?

...ps...sorry for the grammatical error in the title

Edited by joshstiles

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A person from Cambodia comes to thailand to work.

He gets a job in a factory and all the work permit / paperwork is quickly taken care of.

A person from the UK comes to thailand to work.

He gets a job teaching english, but has to wait possibly a few months and fill out a pile of documents / paperwork for his work permit.

Why is there a difference for different foreigners? Isn't this a double standard?

Or am I not understanding the matter correctly?

Anyone know?

...ps...sorry for the grammatical error in the title

They probably have bilateral agreements. How old are you?

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There are special rules for migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar because Thailand has a need for laborers.

I would not call it a double standard. Would you be willing to work for 300 baht a day?

One suspects the way this visa thing is going, there would be some who would work for THB 300 just to get the WP.. biggrin.png

• Like 2

There are special rules for migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar because Thailand has a need for laborers.

I would not call it a double standard. Would you be willing to work for 300 baht a day?

One suspects the way this visa thing is going, there would be some who would work for THB 300 just to get the WP.. biggrin.png

isn't that what TEFL teachers get per hour?

joshstiles

Hmm.... So you mean that Europe where you come from, do not treat people from outside Europe differently??? Europeans can run around all over the continent, while the non-europeans have to fill in so much papers and documents so it kills them.

Surely,,, if you think about it you understand and agree,,,

Glegolo

• Like 1

isn't that what TEFL teachers get per hour?

THB 300/hr !..... actually just pulled the "ready reconer" based on a THB 45k/m salary pre tax its about THB 267.85/hr tongue.png

To put this into other money terms its about USD 67/d so up about 14% on the US minimum wage or GDP 48.64/d (USD 82.87) or about 20% down on UK minimum wage

(provided I have my minimum wage numbers about right) biggrin.png

unlikely they are even getting 300 baht a day

i suspect that migrant workers from neibouring country's are getting less than the minimum wage

• Like 2

Isn't this a double standard?

Not at all its a subtle hint that Asian workers are more useful and more wanted in Thailand than the vast majority of westerners thats all thumbsup.gif

Asians such as Cambodians, burmese etc are wanted, Most "classes" of Westerners are merely tolerated

I"sn't this a double standard?"

What? dose Thailand has a double standard system? NO... not possible, they're too fair

and humane to have that....

Isn't this a double standard?

Not at all its a subtle hint that Asian workers are more useful and more wanted in Thailand than the vast majority of westerners thats all thumbsup.gif

Asians such as Cambodians, burmese etc are wanted, Most "classes" of Westerners are merely tolerated

I"sn't this a double standard?"

What? dose Thailand has a double standard system? NO... not possible, they're too fair

and humane to have that....

name me a country that doesnt have double standards?

This is nothing about double Standards, this is the same as for example in Europe ...

If you are from the UK I cant understand that you ask..

It is not about eastern and western.. it is about foreigners of neighboring countries

who are in ASEAN or other country's citizen.

Korea, Japan and so on are eastern countries too, depending where on earth you stay

IN Europe only EU People are free to travel and work, all others have strong restrictions!

This is just a Standard procedure like in many other countrys

• Like 1