Has anyone on 28/28 or similar equal time rota actually been refused entry ?

diggerdo

OK, I have been following most of the posts recently regarding multi-entry on holiday visas and I see a lot of nervous posters and scare mongering, there are stories of people who know people who have been turned away at immigration in Swampy, but I have not seen one actual first hand post from an equal timer, 28 /28 or similar being refused entry , this leads me to believe we are ok and not (yet ?) the target of the new clamp down.

So please if you are oil field or FIFO and coming in and out regularly on a holiday visa and have either recently been refused entry or have just swanned through as normal please let the rest of us know of your first hand experience, not hear-say.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You beat me to it, I was going to ask exactly the same question, I've not heard "first hand" of anyone working equal time and entering Thailand on a Tourist Visa Exemption being refused entry (this assumes no overstay of course).

The UK Thai Embassy website (http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/55) clearly states:

20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 41 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter Thailand at immigration checkpoints which border neighbouring countries (overland crossing), they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time. The exemption to this is Malaysian nationals crossing overland from Malaysia who are granted a period of stay not exceeding 30 days each time.

Foreigners who enter Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category and would like to leave and re-enter may only stay for a cumulative duration which does not exceed 90 days and is within a 6-month period from the date of first entry. (Passport or travel document must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of first entry).

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must provide proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand at the port of entry (i.e., traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

The Thai Embassy website (http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php) does not stipulate a timeframe, they both tell you, that you "may" be asked to show onward travel tickets and to prove that you have enough funds for your stay.

Be interested how you define whether you are tourist or not, coming to a country for 30 days (or less), 6 times a year and spending your money, seems to fall into that category for me anyway.

So please share any experiences of rotational travellers who abide by the tourist visa exemption rules that have been refused entry.

You beat me to it, I was going to ask exactly the same question, I've not heard "first hand" of anyone working equal time and entering Thailand on a Tourist Visa Exemption being refused entry (this assumes no overstay of course).

The UK Thai Embassy website (http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/55) clearly states:

20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 41 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter Thailand at immigration checkpoints which border neighbouring countries (overland crossing), they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time.

That is outdated information. It is 30 days at the border for G7 citizens. the other paragraph is also worng, the limitation of 6 months in a year has also been removed. Not worth reading any further. The Consulate websites do not have update credible information and they are not connected with actual regaultion by Thai Immigration.

OK, that was all that I could find, it would be helpful to share where are you getting the information from, cause I don't suppose immigration will go with, Ah Paz said so, so it must be OK........

I'm getting this information from personal experience and the official statements by Thai immigration, you can have a read in the "visa forum" to educate yourself.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/723917-how-many-30-day-visa-on-arrivals-can-you-get-these-days/

And

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744170-2828-rotations-is-there-a-maximum-of-30-day-visa-on-arrivals-per-year/

Edited by paz

Expecting solid - stable information to come out of Thai Immigration is not really feasible... But posted on TVF today were statements that as of very recent days - to paraphrase ... 'offshore oil workers' coming and going is not hindered. I don't have the post handy ... but for now it seems that 28/28 people like yourself are not affected... Iron clad proof - I don't have it ... nor does anyone else... because Thai Immigration rules and regs are in flux... and it will be that way for a while... However, I really do understand your worry and anxiety... but for now it seems okay ..,. I wish you the best ...

Expecting solid - stable information to come out of Thai Immigration is not really feasible... But posted on TVF today were statements that as of very recent days - to paraphrase ... 'offshore oil workers' coming and going is not hindered. I don't have the post handy ... but for now it seems that 28/28 people like yourself are not affected... Iron clad proof - I don't have it ... nor does anyone else... because Thai Immigration rules and regs are in flux... and it will be that way for a while... However, I really do understand your worry and anxiety... but for now it seems okay ..,. I wish you the best ...

Thanks JD, that is indeed encouraging :-)

I'm back after the 12th August after six weeks but have two triple tourist visas maybe in my passport and on my last stamp

Maybe I will get in maybe I will not will defiantly let people know as their are a lot of worried people there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm back after the 12th August after six weeks but have two triple tourist visas maybe in my passport and on my last stamp

Maybe I will get in maybe I will not will defiantly let people know as their are a lot of worried people there.

Good luck Stevie, that would be the sort of first hand info we would all be keen to hear about.

Hopefully we will also hear from some other O&G guys coming through before you on the 12th, that in turn may give you a better heads up of what to expect.

Had a beer with a mate of mine tonight that flew into Don Muang this afternoon at around 16:00 hrs is working 28/28 in Malaysia. He was questioned by immigration regarding his entries into Thailand. He says they where more interested in his expired Thai Work Permits from when he was working here a couple of years ago. They asked if he was coming in for work he said no & showed them the Malaysian work permit in his passport. They where happy with that.

From our discussion he wasn't overly concerned about his next trip in but he agrees that who knows what will be the norm next month. My advice was to get a second passport ( completely allowable, I have 2) use a different one next time coming in.

Edited by Baboy

As above, it's a good idea to show the WP for whichever country we've just travelled from,, but wonder if it would throw up some confusion if the WP was in the second PP, I've showed checkin staff both PP's when mistakenly presented the wrong one at checkin and had to wait while a supervisor arrived before being allowed to proceed,, anyone showed both PP's at immigration as an example for providing evidence as above.

Not so much of an issue whichever PP to show immigration when entering on visa exempt, but may be if entering with a visa in the second pp

as I understand it immigration have computerised system that may show this,, but just curious if anyone has shown both PP's to imm on entry and what reaction?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I work FIFO on a 14/7 roster in West Australia and live in Chiang Mai, so have been following the visa rules closely. I am concerned that all the regular entry stamps in my passport will someday bring some unwanted attention.

ill let you know if immigration starts asking any questions on arrival.

They key thing is, as most of you know Thailand has an offshore industry, so if your coming in and mention you work offshore, be careful to explain thats it not Thailand offshore, otherwise they may get it in their head your working offshore in Thailand, and then the questions will definitely start.

Uncles Souties top tip for the day...laugh.png

They key thing is, as most of you know Thailand has an offshore industry, so if your coming in and mention you work offshore, be careful to explain thats it not Thailand offshore, otherwise they may get it in their head your working offshore in Thailand, and then the questions will definitely start.

Uncles Souties top tip for the day...laugh.png

haha.

I have my contract, pay slips and will show him my Kazak vis ain my passport if need be.

Has anyone heard of any mates or mates of mates getting refused at Swampy? I've not and pretty sure i would have. As we know there will be 4-5000 lads come in since this started so the few issues there have been reported on here shows that we are safe......right? haha

What you say when you arrive is one determining factor. Be as concise as possible. Any words you say are just avenues for them. eg Why are you here? "Tourism". "Tourism and to see my wife" is a bad answer imo - as an example, those would both require different visas, and are "avenues" to be questioned and denied.

What you say when you arrive is one determining factor. Be as concise as possible. Any words you say are just avenues for them. eg Why are you here? "Tourism". "Tourism and to see my wife" is a bad answer imo - as an example, those would both require different visas, and are "avenues" to be questioned and denied.

yeah i've been thinking that myself mate. I'm back around 9am on the 19th and despite the fact i'm pretty sure we are "ok" there will be a bit of nerves in there

honestly, if it was me and was coming in on a visa waiver, I would make no comment about "coming to see my wife" one of the pushes has been to get people on the correct visa's and if your married, they may have the opinion your not a tourist and you should be on an "O" visa for being married.

I would say I work offshore and having my month off with the intent of coming to Thailand to get blind drunk asnd chase the Thai ladies, like a real tourist laugh.png

honestly, if it was me and was coming in on a visa waiver, I would make no comment about "coming to see my wife" one of the pushes has been to get people on the correct visa's and if your married, they may have the opinion your not a tourist and you should be on an "O" visa for being married.

I would say I work offshore and having my month off with the intent of coming to Thailand to get blind drunk asnd chase the Thai ladies, like a real tourist laugh.png

Yeah i'll be keeping it zipped. I'll have my wage slips, contract and be able to point to my Kazak visa

I am working offshore 42/42 in Malaysia at present, last leave came in on my NZ passport, stayed two weeks and went to Australia with my wife for three weeks, came back in on my UK passport for one week and then left to go back to work. Went through Premium Lane both times and nothing out of the ordinary either time, stamped in with 90 days on the NZ passport (APEC Card) and 30 days on the UK passport as usual. And yes, I will get around to getting one of those marriage extensions in my UK passport at some stage, just trying to decide whether to pay someone like Siam Legal 500 pounds to do it or attempt it myself or maybe I should go the whole hog and pay 500,000 baht for one of those Elite cards for five years.

Actually my missus being careful with money the way she is reckons she will sort out the paperwork for the marriage extension.

Just for your info

Went through Suvarnabhumi on friday with a couple b2b tourist visas the only thing that was said.how long do i stay in Thailand

Also the person i was with had muility 28/28 and he had no problems either

Stevie

mate of mine was refused entry yesterday after completing his 28 days in malaysia at phuket airport and he has a valid non imm O marriage visa they told him he had to stay out for 30 days so 2 more days he is now back in malaysia in a hotel and furious he will try again ,

on Thursday

also yesterday at Donook crossing another pal not an offshore guy went to penang for his a thai comapny to fix an aircraft overnight ,, he has thai work permit and was refused entry even with work permit and all his thai boss in the company car , they are also perplexed and pissed off , he will try to enter again tommorow !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

pay someone like Siam Legal 500 pounds to do it or attempt it myself or maybe I should go the whole hog and pay 500,000 baht for one of those Elite cards for five years.

Actually my missus being careful with money the way she is reckons she will sort out the paperwork for the marriage extension.

Unless you got money to burn the most sensible route is to get the papers in order for a marriage extension which costs only 1900THB plus 3800THB for the multi re-entry visa.

doing it for years...no problems ... even during the last "scare" back in 2003 or something.....

only problems i've ever had were numpties at the departing airport..... Qantas wanted a poof of a return ticket when i was flying from Perth..... told them i had a e-ticket with and another airline.. same thing happened years before in Heathrow and i ended up having to buy a refundable ticket to Singapore ( this was before etickets).... departing angola, some upstart reckoned i needed a visa so took a while to convince him i didn't.... does help to have some proof of onward journey in cases like this..

I'm a catering manager in PNG and do FIFO 4 & 2 and had no problem with entry on a tourist visa, although i have being doing for over 7 years no problem so far, i fly back to BKK in 2 weeks 25th Aug will see what happens.

Yes i am married to a thai woman, have house in her name, car in my name and have a bank account (Thai). Have not been refused entry YET will see.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Working 14-28 in the North Sea(Norway) and travel to Thailand 6-7 times every year. My passport is new from june last year, my last arrival on Suvarnabhumi was on okt 20. As usual no questions asked and got my 30 day stamp. This was my 9th entry on my new passport.

I have only traveled to Thailand on visa exemption and never overstayed. My typical trip is about 3 weeks long or about 22-23 days.