How did you become proficient at speaking Thai?

connda

Repetition,repetition and repetition.

Yes at times its boring, repetitive, mundane and most of all frustrating.

I accept the fact I will never be fully fluent, whole swathes of the language I have never bothered with, engineering, legal, medical and religious terms I havent bothered with.

I would say I am at conversation level.

I learned how to read and write, in the last 5 years all I have written is my name and address.

GH makes very valid points, however sometimes you dont realise you are picking up on impolite language, many schools dont teach this sort of language.

Example I once asked a group of guys where Ai Sa was, stunned silence, then the ones who knew the guy and knew he knew me started laughing, I had only ever heard of this guy being referred to as Ai Sa, didnt know the Ai wasnt polite.

I hear the crude language my mrs uses on the phone when talking to family and close friends, she wouldnt dare use it outside the house.

The more I learn the more I realise how little I actually know, keeping up with teen slang and newspeak doesnt help.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly recommend learning how to read Thai. Once you learn the rules for reading, including the tone rules, practice reading outloud to a Thai person an hour every day. After six months you will speak very clearly. That's what I did and Thai people almost never have difficulty understanding me.

• Like 1

Self study and practice. I just learned 10 new Thai words every day, kept rehearsing them, and avoided speaking English. Still regret I only learned the script several years later. You might look into downloading Fundamentals of the Thai language. It takes perseverance, but the effort certainly pays off. Those who do not actively study, remain stuck in a phase of speaking about 50 words that they picked up.

The best book available. I still have my hard cover 5th edition that I had at university, looking very dog eared. If you can get through that, you can pass for a Thai, at least on the phonerolleyes.gif

1. Thai teacher

2. THAI TEACHER!!!

3. iPhone/iPad/Android + Anki or Flashcard Deluxe (I could never do without)

4. online training materials (I got it from learnthaistyle.com and am VERY happy with that)

well....

& time, time, time, more time...

Never without a Thail teacher, more fun, keeps you going and not quit, they help you twisting your tongue where needed ;)

I am not anything even close to perfect (yet... ;), but I love it :)

Total immersion for the first two years and then I hung around with Thais all the time. Worked for me!

Exactly. And I believe its important to do it from day 1. If you have already established yourself here for some time, and already have western/English speaking friends it's much harder to backtrack and change your lifestyle to accomodate for a period of immersion.

Initially I used the self-learning course highspeedthai to learn the alphabet, tone rules, and some vocabulary, and get some listening and shadowing (speaking) practice.

This was to get the basics. From there it was then a matter of talking to as many people as possible (actually being in Thailand helps), and locating people who were willing to trade "I teach you English, you teach me Thai" lessons

and from there reading online newspaper articles in Thai, chatting to Thai friends with instant message apps and on Facebook in Thai, constantly adding new words to one's own electronic flashcard deck and reviewing the deck every day, and diversifying the learning experience as much as possible.

Currently two and a half years in.

Edited by dapsolapsalai

Years and years of taking in conversations between bar beer gals. rolleyes.gif

The problem with this method is you learn to speak like a bar girl. And unfortunately easy to know which ones have learnt the language in that way.

Better to find a qualified Thai teacher or similar to learn to speak Thai above beer bar level.

• Like 1

I learned the same way I learned English. I kept trying even though I sounded like a talking butthole with a tongue stapled to a cheek.

You WILL sound stupid. A lot, for years. If you press on, there will be milestones. Let them encourage you.

I remember back in the nineties being derided by a backpacker for asking the waitress how to say 'salt' in Thai. 'I think she knows it in English too mate!' Don't let those people discourage you.

Teach yourself to read. I taught myself from restaurant menus, then street signs, then comic books, then children's books, then the newspaper. Ask anyone and everyone for help. Thais all think it is cute.

Edit: Set goals for yourself. Three words a day, for example.

Edit more: Listen, especially when you don't understand.

Edited by BudRight
  • Like 2

Initially I used the self-learning course highspeedthai to learn the alphabet, tone rules, and some vocabulary, and get some listening and shadowing (speaking) practice.

This was to get the basics. From there it was then a matter of talking to as many people as possible (actually being in Thailand helps), and locating people who were willing to trade "I teach you English, you teach me Thai" lessons

and from there reading online newspaper articles in Thai, chatting to Thai friends with instant message apps and on Facebook in Thai, constantly adding new words to one's own electronic flashcard deck and reviewing the deck every day, and diversifying the learning experience as much as possible.

Electronic flash cards ??

Can you enlighten me on this please.

May be the following post belongs to Thai language forums but I will have a shot at it here. My knowledge of Thai is confined to what Pimsleur method has to offer. Having done all 30 lessons 6 times, I consider myself as having mastered that material. However, this is of course not enough and there is no second cd unfortunately. Pimsleur, in my opinion, is by far the best method in learning a language. (This is my true opinion, I do not try to promote anybody. I tried others, Rosetta stone, and many based on the same concept but after a while I came to a standstill. Only Pimsleur carried me seamlessly to the end. As I said, this is what I believe)

I need advise as to the availability of other courses, mimicking or based upon the philosophy of Pimsleur.

Those of you who might have something to suggest, I, in advance, thank very much.

regards

Mario

• Like 1

When I first decided to come and live in Thailand I learnt the alphabet, the sounds, and the tones. I learned how the tone marks work with diffrent classes of consonants.So, before I came her I could read and write all the consonants and vowels plus some words. After moving here I went to a language school and saved a lot of time as I didn't need to learn what I had already learned.

I will never consider myself to be fluent (after all, who dictates what is fluent?) as there are always new words to learn. I can have a reasonable conversation and if I need a new word I can soon learn it. I also enjoy learning so I suppose that helps too.

Mind you, sometimes people expect me to know even more. Last night a girl asked me to translate the Thai word ritseeduaang. I asked her, how many falangs would know the Thai word for haemorrhoids? It is nice to surprise people sometimes.

• Like 1

Self study and practice. I just learned 10 new Thai words every day, kept rehearsing them, and avoided speaking English. Still regret I only learned the script several years later. You might look into downloading Fundamentals of the Thai language. It takes perseverance, but the effort certainly pays off. Those who do not actively study, remain stuck in a phase of speaking about 50 words that they picked up.

I think Keestha has a very good point here. IF you learn to read just a little, then there are learning opportunities wherever you go, reading signs and other text. Especially if English translation is there in signs, you can pick up new vocabulary. And speak to people as much as you can, using what you know. You get stuck, and then try again. Have fun, study, be patient, and practice!

• Like 1

May be the following post belongs to Thai language forums but I will have a shot at it here. My knowledge of Thai is confined to what Pimsleur method has to offer. Having done all 30 lessons 6 times, I consider myself as having mastered that material. However, this is of course not enough and there is no second cd unfortunately. Pimsleur, in my opinion, is by far the best method in learning a language. (This is my true opinion, I do not try to promote anybody. I tried others, Rosetta stone, and many based on the same concept but after a while I came to a standstill. Only Pimsleur carried me seamlessly to the end. As I said, this is what I believe)

I need advise as to the availability of other courses, mimicking or based upon the philosophy of Pimsleur.

Those of you who might have something to suggest, I, in advance, thank very much.

regards

Mario

I agree. Pimsleur is very good. It's limited to 30 lessons, but very helpful IMO. I'd welcome a second set. I am not a fan of Rosetta Stone. Again, my opinion is based on what works for me.

I am what I think is proficient in Thai but lots of Thais say I speak very well I do not think that But how I got here was going to Thai language school for about 1 1/2 years and asking a lot of questions

So now I know what is being said to me Its not easy but does get so as you learn

Electronic flash cards ??

Can you enlighten me on this please.

check this:

Flashcard on Mac, Windows, Linux (FREE);

https://ankiweb.net/study/

Mobile companions for the above - Android (free or at a small fee):

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ichi2.anki&hl=en

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orangeorapple.flashcards&hl=en

Mobile companions for the above - iOS / Apple / iTunes (free or at a small fee):

- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flashcards-deluxe/id307840670?mt=8

- https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/ankimobile-flashcards/id373493387?mt=8

BUT: There are flashcards from others out there, free to download, but often not very good. I had to spend some time to setup my own cards, but that effort pays off in the long run coz once you have it setup its a massive help (I think).

I myself I am very happy with Flashcard Deluxe on Android. You need repetition and sounds to practice. Having this on mobiles (I use mainly a Galaxy Note III) is a HUGE benefit to me.

The "flashcard approach" above can go "all the way to fluency" with you, BUT, as said, the content (the "cards") need to be added and maintained which I take no issue with, but it may not be to everybody's taste to do that. Its requires some investment in time (not money) which pay's off over time.

Otherwise: Clever dictionary - I would personally recommend that (small fee)

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wordinthehand.thaidict&hl=en

These are some more apps you might want to check out and see if it suits, I at least used then (mainly at the start):

Thai consonant & vowel sounds (small app, but quiet ok, I think)

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.foonugget.thaiscriptplus&hl=en

Thai character writing (small app, but quiet ok, I think)

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=androidcode.in.th.Handwrite&hl=en

Thai basic phrases and vocabulary (best check for yourself to see if it suits your needs, free or at a small fee):

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htcheng.enth&hl=en

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bravolang.thai&hl=en

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hanoo.thai&hl=en

The "phrase/vocabulary" apps only help to get started, not proper training.

Edited by TTom911
  • Like 1

Took one word like pai ( go) then another duway ( together) pai Duway go together.

And progressed from there adding all the time.

Music is a great helper.

TV. Radio.

After many years most say I'm 85% there. Just got lazy last few years and can't be bothered anymore TBH.

If you wanna learn. You will

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does anyone have a good source for Thai music videos with English subtitles. Any help with this would be appreciated.

I started with Pimsleur for the very basics, then some Thai lessons including reading and writing. I do like Thai soaps but now I'm kind of stuck at learning a few new words a week. I do think music would help a lot in understanding more complex speech patterns rather than vocabulary.

Not fluent but learning. I started the same way as my native tongue with letters. I used Rapid Thai and was reading in 20 minutes. Then I used he Manee kids books to bring up my speed. Reading helps a lot when your alone somewhere. Then got a list of the top 300 Thai words used by frequency then the top 1000. Allegedly you are near fluency at 3000 words obviously you need to combine them via proper sentence structure. For that and photo recognition vocabulary building I use various apps including Its4Thai among others. I was going strong when I got really discouraged by the tones. I realized that remembering 5 different definitions of the same word was hard and the learning the rules for tone cues was harder. I am convinced for my style of learning, the only way to learn tones is to listen to Thais speaking. I knew that glai meant near and far but now I know which tone is for which because of conversations with the GF that just "stick" in my brain. Good luck and enjoy exercising your brain.

Can't be bothered, so waiting for Thais to learn English, a proper language!

but by then you have hair growing out of your ears and nose... u like that ...? ;)

Sounds like he already does..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not fluent but learning. I started the same way as my native tongue with letters. I used Rapid Thai and was reading in 20 minutes. Then I used he Manee kids books to bring up my speed. Reading helps a lot when your alone somewhere. Then got a list of the top 300 Thai words used by frequency then the top 1000. Allegedly you are near fluency at 3000 words obviously you need to combine them via proper sentence structure. For that and photo recognition vocabulary building I use various apps including Its4Thai among others. I was going strong when I got really discouraged by the tones. I realized that remembering 5 different definitions of the same word was hard and the learning the rules for tone cues was harder. I am convinced for my style of learning, the only way to learn tones is to listen to Thais speaking. I knew that glai meant near and far but now I know which tone is for which because of conversations with the GF that just "stick" in my brain. Good luck and enjoy exercising your brain.

But its not 5 different versions of the same word.

Its five different spellings with five different tones.

Its not one word with five different uses you need to memorise, its five completely different words each with their own meaning.

Throw long and short vowels in and it gets even more confusing.