Spanish visa for Thai girlfriend for short holiday?

I am Canadian and live in Bangkok, unemployed and on a tourist visa. My Thai girlfriend of 1 year would like to accompany me to pick up my new sailboat in Vallencia, Spain. We would then sail the Mediterranean and once she's had enough (probably around Egypt), she will fly back home and I will bring the boat the rest of the way home to Thailand.

She is unemployed, has some money in her bank (150,000 baht), 1 child living with her parents and no assets.

Am I better off forgetting about this and just have her wait for me in Bangkok or is there a chance they might issue her a travel visa for a short stay?

Another option would be to apply for a visa somewhere close by like Italy if they are any easier, then I could pick her up in a couple of days on the boat.

I assume she couldn't obtain a visa to travel to Italy then return home to Thailand via Italy?

I have no idea about European visas for Thais and a search here didn't turn up much.

Thanks for any help....

She needs a Schengen visa, which is valid for all states in the Schengen area; which includes both Spain and Italy.

As it appears she will be touring, then she should apply to the country she will enter first; Spain.

See Schengen Visa FAQ for more.

If she will be leaving you and the boat in Egypt, or any other country not in the Schengen area, then she will need a visa to enter that country, too.

Edit:

Don't forget about your visas. As a Canadian you can enter the Schengen area for up to 90 days out of any180 for tourism without a visa; but what about Egypt and any other countries you may be visiting?

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate it.

Its difficult to predict because wind or lack of it will determine our need to refuel at certain countries, which we won't know in advance. We will only be on shore as a tourist for 5 days or so in Spain.

(Could always drop her off in Somali as she dosn't need a visa for there and its right along the way.:)

I'll start with the Schengen application at the Spanish embassy and go from there. The worst they can do is say no.

Thai passports just suck big time. They are one step away from being useless! Everything requires massive planning and uncertainty.

Its difficult to predict because wind or lack of it will determine our need to refuel at certain countries, which we won't know in advance. We will only be on shore as a tourist for 5 days or so in Spain.

Remember that a Schengen visa is valid for all Schengen states, no matter which country issued it.

Those with a Mediterranean coast are: Spain, France, Monaco, Italy, Malta and Greece.

Maybe, just maybe, it might be handy to have a look around for a transit visa.

Your girlfriend is not really a tourist into Spain, but a crewmember or guest waiting for the ship to depart?

I seem to remember those do not need a tourist visa.

Same if she leaves the ship in Egypt, she might be allowed to travel to the nearest airport.

Who knows?

I guess I will add on to this and not start a new thread

what is required for a young thai lady 23 years old to get a Schengen visa by herself ? She has no job (student) , no assets (could put some $$$ in bank account to look good) and no kids

are any countries better to apply in ?

My friend would like to see Europe when she graduates from Uni next year , I have been to Europe 50 times but with a USA passport so no visa required.

But since I do not have an EU passport I do not know the rules and cannot apply for her in a EU country,

I can meet her in Europe and then we can travel together,

I know that she could probably never get a tourist visa to the USA and she would rather see some of Europe anyway.

thanks for your advise

I tried to get a Spanish visa for my girlfriend to stay with me 3 months. She is in the same situation as your girlfriend. Unemployed and has no assets in Thailand. We submitted all the documents required (travel insurance, plane tickets there and back, invitation from me, her bank statement with 500k baht).

The visa was refused. The original reasoning was that provided information was unreliable. We appealed the ruling. And it was rejected too. The reason: no guarantees that the applicant will return to her home country.

I've heard that Spanish embassies are really reluctant to issue visas to citizens of developing countries who have little ties with their home country. The unemployment is at the staggering 26% here and there is a considerable share of those unemployed and on welfare who are former immigrants.

I think your chances will be greater if you follow the advice here and apply for a short term transit visa. Stating that Spain will only be used as a port to sail abroad on your boat.

She will need a regular type C (short stay) visa, since type A is only for transit without leaving the (air)port. Type B allowed you to enter and exit within 5 (?) days from different ports but it has been merged into type C Schengen visa.

Be sure to document this unusual application well, include evidence of you owning that boat and sailing it back to TH. I'd include evidence of you residing in TH. Explain this in a covering letter. Also explain that she will join you to make the travel purpose/plan clear. Then show her ties and reasons to return: the kid or other family, anything else that shows strong ties and reasons for her to return. Include evidence of this.

@BKK Dreaming:

In theory it shouldn't matter much since the things they check on are the same though those are somewhat subjective and embassies around the globe from the various or same Schengen member may be more or less critical:

- sufficient funds (amount of money is different for each member state, the Dutch and Belgiums require in the thirty- something range, the Spanish in the sixty something range.

- clear travel purpose

- likely to return, this is rather subjective. The applicant will need to convince the embassy that she has no intention of overstaying and has strong tied and reasons to return. This likely will be difficult since she will not have any education or job to return to, nor any assets or people she will need to take care off... If you do apply I'd do so for less then a month, you may extend the visa after arrival. 90 days with almost no reasons to show for return: red flag!

If there are any "easy" member states it might be the newer members in the east so you may wish to make say the Czech Republic her main stay? There is a topic around here somewhere with visa statistics. Should be a link at the bottom of the FAQ.

Edited by Donutz

Edit time ran out:

Consider travel to other more developed countries first such as a short holiday Singapore, South Korea or Japan. Then atleast she has some stamps to show that she is a bonafide traveller. Her second Schengen application should be easier too; she has returned in the past so a longer stay in a more notorious (for declining) member state should be a lot less likely.

As for Spain being more strict due to their economy doing badly? That wouldn't make much sense. Statistics show (illegal) immigration, tourism and illegal employment go up when the economy is booming and decrease significantly when the economy is doing very poorly. Spain still being in rough weather should make it less likely any Thai would overstay there to seek work...

I am exactly in the same situation! I am a Canadian too with a O retirement visa here.. I just sailed my 47' boat from Britain to France and I am waiting for recruiting a crew to carry on. I am also planing to have my girlfriend ask for a short transit schengen visa but I heard than it could only be issued for going from an airport to another airport? so she will need a tourist visa even for a couple of days!

Also, you're taking about going through the red sea and Aden gulf. Did you heard about the piracy problems there? It looks like you allowed to go that route only if you can follow one of the organized convoys . The problem is than they sail 18 miles/hour!! I doubt very much you can go that speed with your sailing boat... neither do I! I am now planing to go around south africa via Brazil...It will be good than we could talk more about this..

I've just been checking: Brazil is one of the few countries not requiring any visa for Thai nationals. Maybe it is worth considering the south atlantic route next winter (summer overthere) and wait to meet for the ladies in north east Brazil. ( Recife is the best) It is (only) 3 weeks sailing from canaries island... Also, it's looks like you have definitively to forget about the red sea route... Far too dangerous...

I tried to get a Spanish visa for my girlfriend to stay with me 3 months. She is in the same situation as your girlfriend. Unemployed and has no assets in Thailand. We submitted all the documents required (travel insurance, plane tickets there and back, invitation from me, her bank statement with 500k baht).

The visa was refused. The original reasoning was that provided information was unreliable. We appealed the ruling. And it was rejected too. The reason: no guarantees that the applicant will return to her home country.

I've heard that Spanish embassies are really reluctant to issue visas to citizens of developing countries who have little ties with their home country. The unemployment is at the staggering 26% here and there is a considerable share of those unemployed and on welfare who are former immigrants.

I think your chances will be greater if you follow the advice here and apply for a short term transit visa. Stating that Spain will only be used as a port to sail abroad on your boat.

Hi Jaysisaket,

I had the same experience when applying for a UK tourist visa for my girlfriend . I thought my visa application presentation was immaculate showing girlfriends house and business , bank accounts etc plus influential UK references . Dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's . Refusal was that the UK Border agency did not believe she would return to Thailand . I was very upset and got in touch with the UK border Agency Inspectorate by email . After 3 emails they told me to reapply . I never did as the reason for the visit to the UK had passed . .

I am a firm believer that visa application refusals should be allowed to be challenged and if refusal was because of a small error or in-admission then the chance to rectify could be given , even if a small penalty was imposed .

thanks for your replies on my situation , I think the only way is if she / we sign up for an organized Tour from a Thai company......which is really not the plan but might be the only way

as far as sailing with Thai GF , has she been on a boat with you for days at a time yet ? and rough seas ?

Can she live without internet / facebook and Thai Food ? ( Mama noodles packed in suitcase :) )

maybe give it a go in Thailand and see how it goes.....because I think once the glow wears off in an hour or 2 she will be bitching about everything , ( I would probably do the same bitching)

I traveled 9 months around Europe with my GF when I was 21 , we did not kill each other but we also were the same age and background,

Do you think she can handle a 2-3 month sail ?

I am a firm believer that visa application refusals should be allowed to be challenged and if refusal was because of a small error or in-admission then the chance to rectify could be given , even if a small penalty was imposed .

The silly UK won't let you with their visa decisions but a Schengen visa can be appealed for free.

Allowed to go with Thai Passport. = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Thai_citizens

Just saw a Spanish Schengen Visa made at the Spanish Consular Section in Bangkok for a Cambodian woman,

Guarantor, a retired Norwegian with a Apartment in a Spanish beach resort.

She did not get 90 days, was declined, but with the help of a Spanish lawyer, got now a second chance and 40+ days where accepted.

She is already there in the moment.

Pretty woman, by the way. rolleyes.gif

Edited by SeaVisionBurma
Removed photo from post