Australian Embassy Documents to marry

JimSiam

I have searched but not found exact answers for if I need to take any documents with me when I attend the Embassy for getting the clear to marry document (stat Dec) and what the current cost is, has anyone been through this recently and know?

Please read step one, they state that if you have a previous marriage then an original divorce or death certificate is required. If not then you will just need to bring your passport and a fee roughly equal to $20 AUD, you will fill out the form at immigration and they will then stamp and authenticate it.

http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Consular_P4.html

[somsak][/somsak]

Documents then need to be translated by certified translator , then be submitted to the appropriate ministry at Chiang Wattana for endorsement, there are shop fronts near the OZ embassy (ask a motor cycle taxi for directions)that will do all this for around 3000 thb.Takes around 3 days to go through these processes

Went through it about 6 months ago..

If you go to the Australian embassy website you can download the form and see what it asks of you. Pretty much it's just identifying documents (Passport) and if previously married or widowed the documents to support this. Cost is 500THB. Just take your better half into the embassy with you incase you need her ID card number.

That's the easy part though...

Next you have to get the documents translated.. everyone says there are plenty of places around and just walk down the street and find one. We walked around for about an hour trying to find somewhere, getting given different directions from different people only to finally find a place out the back of a building who said no sorry cannot do today I'm too busy... Walked back up the street towards the BTS and turned left down the first left after the embassy and found someone down there to do it.

Next you have to take it to get certified at the department of consular affairs, BUT... be careful.. they moved the office to a temporary address because of the protests, but no-one in the embassy thought to tell us this. I am not sure if it is still at the temporary address or not, but the paperwork still has the old address on it, so i would confirms it's location first. Actually the woman who did our translation had the most up to date information.. 

If you manage to get to the department of consular affairs before midday you can opt for the express option which will complete the process in one day. If not then you have to come back the next day. (hint.. prepare for a long wait either way! take a book!)

We set ourselves 2 days to do this and it was enough time.. but with all the running around and being sent to wrong addresses across town etc, it was a stressful two days. Better if you have more time.

Good Luck.

I don't understand why you don't just email the Australian Embassy and ask them for them and get the CORRECT information. I recently had a similar question and just email the South African embassy (my embassy) and the next day I had a reply. I'm sorry but I just don't comprehend why you ask a forum when you can easily get the information from the horse's mouth. A lot safer IMO

I don't understand why you don't just email the Australian Embassy and ask them and get the CORRECT information. I recently had a similar question and just email the South African embassy (my embassy) and the next day I had a reply. I'm sorry but I just don't comprehend why you ask a forum when you can easily get the information from the horse's mouth. A lot safer IMO

Good luck just turning up at the embassy. I was there in April, just to drop off some papers. Didn't have an appointment - eventually left the papers with the receptionist on the ground floor after a few phone calls to the people upstairs. Sorry we are on lunch...sorry will have to speak to supervisor. There was NO way they would even let me actually see anybody.

From what I understand the only way you can see anyone without an appointment is if you need consular advice. By the way, I didn;t see or speak to even one Aussie while I was there.

It was a truly disappointing experience. Beautiful grounds though and I'm sure the Ambassador and ASIO agents have a great time.

For translations go to the ground floor of the Thai CC building ( same one as VFS) near the railway station about 1K up Sathorn Road. On the ground floor are a couple of certified translators. I think the cost was 750 baht for 3 papers.

Good luck just turning up at the embassy. I was there in April, just to drop off some papers. Didn't have an appointment - eventually left the papers with the receptionist on the ground floor after a few phone calls to the people upstairs. Sorry we are on lunch...sorry will have to speak to supervisor. There was NO way they would even let me actually see anybody.

From what I understand the only way you can see anyone without an appointment is if you need consular advice. By the way, I didn;t see or speak to even one Aussie while I was there.

It was a truly disappointing experience. Beautiful grounds though and I'm sure the Ambassador and ASIO agents have a great time.

For translations go to the ground floor of the Thai CC building ( same one as VFS) near the railway station about 1K up Sathorn Road. On the ground floor are a couple of certified translators. I think the cost was 750 baht for 3 papers.

I think you mean ASIS, not ASIO...  and ASIS aren't there either, especially when the AFP has an office in Bangkok : ) ... I find most embassy's are pretty shitty at lunch time to!

Edited by BangPaInn

I think you mean ASIS, not ASIO...  and ASIS aren't there either, especially when the AFP has an office in Bangkok : ) ... I find most embassy's are pretty shitty at lunch time to!

No I meant ASIO, but no doubt ASIS are there as well. The AFP are also in Chiang Mai.

You don't need an appointment to get the stat dec for marriage.. Just turn up in the morning and tell them what you are there for. Of course like most places in Thailand, they all seem to go to lunch together at the same time. We where there at 8:32am and were done by 8:50am. The staff member we dealt with was not too pleasant though and made me take a number and wait even though I was the only one in the building and then when I was seen and directed to the form I had to fill out, she made me take another number to get back into the line (even though I was the ONLY one there!) and was very curt with me even though I was nothing but nice.. so good luck. P.S. the guard staff at the gate were lovely though..

Thanks everyone, job done today, turned up about 09:30 and was out in 30 minutes, filled out the form at the embassy, you can take phones and bags in now, so no worries there, that has changed, Simply filled out the form and paid 600 baht and this part done.

As I stated never married before I didn't need to supply any other documentation.

• Like 1

Information for Australians wanting to marry in Thailand is available on the embassy's website under Services for Australians - Getting Married in Thailand.  http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/consular.html  There is a link to an information sheet and to the stat dec which needs to be completed.  The consular section at the embassy is open from 0830-1600 and you don't need an appointment. 

Thanks for directions from posts above.

I got the job done at the Embassy today, but where is the:

Legalisation Division, Department of Consular Affairs

3rd floor, 123 Moo 3, Changwattana Road
Kwang Toong Son Hong, Khet Laksi

I cannot find it on google maps and "helpful woman" at embassy just said go look on computer provided in the waiting room.

Hope someone here can help?

A note for those using a third party to do the MFA part, there was a change last week and MFA now require two power of attorney papers for a third party to attend and get your documents stamped for you, with only one it wont get done.