Overstayers have to stay now?

Seems like the few weeks overstayers had to exit before August 12 had ended already.Thus overstayers who wish to stay in Thailand have no choice but to remain put rather than clearing the overstay and going legal. I have a ticket out of the county to today, but I don't want to be blacklisted for a year. No choice right?

Id say go out be blacklisted for a year.. because if you remain it only gets worse once you get out or get caught. Take your medicine.. Though i do find it strange that the grace period is gone. But If i were an over stayer I would have left the country the moment the news came out and not wait for the last moment.

• Like 2

I did try to leave ASAP but I guess I should have left immediately rather than wait a week for a convenient time. Seems rather backwards that this can't get cleared a and overstayers must stay put rather than Having an opportunity for the otherwise honest ones to fix their status.

I did try to leave ASAP but I guess I should have left immediately rather than wait a week for a convenient time. Seems rather backwards that this can't get cleared a and overstayers must stay put rather than Having an opportunity for the otherwise honest ones to fix their status.

You can still leave country if you haven't overstayed > 90 days. I will not recommend you hide. Sort it out now.

If your are lucky, maybe you only has to pay the fine

Good luck

Most over 90 day current overstayers will probably just stay yes i think so.

I agree this new ruling is good for the future but without an official amnesty period it will not get current overstayers to surrender themselves. Now they will just end up either staying or seeking other means of sorting out the problem which will end up with the state not getting the 20,000. The state will now lose 100s of thousands of baht because of not allowing an amnesty, plus they will still have x amount of illegals in the country which would cost money and time to track if they wanted. Some of those fines will either never come (if someone is old) and other fines may take another few years to come or never come if people use bribes.

All that was needed was a properly announced amnesty period set out by immigration which would of clearly said any alien having already overstayed their visa has x amount of time to exit the country under the existing rules. This didnt happen, all that happened were rumours and 3rd party news accouncements where people were guessing time periods and dates. That was only 2 weeks ago, not enough time for everyone to sort themselves out. I know of at least 2 people who were booked and ready to go and back with their 20,000 this weekend who will now not go.

Great policy for the future, bad policy for now

Edited by stephenwithaph
  • Like 2

Most current overstayers will probably just stay yes i think so.

I agree this new ruling is good for the future but without an official amnesty period it will not get current overstayers to surrender themselves. Now they will just end up either staying or seeking other means of sorting out the problem which will end up with the state not getting the 20,000. The state will now lose 100s of thousands of baht because of not allowing an amnesty, plus they will still have x amount of illegals in the country which would cost money and time to track if they wanted. Some of those fines will either never come (if someone is old) and other fines may take another few years to come or never come if people use bribes.

I don't think this is about to get money in the box and they don't loose any money. If this crackdown was not enforced they don't get the money anyway. People will still keep overstaying. I like you, think this is a great policy for Thailand. So if people overstay. Sort it out and don't hide, it will only be worse later. I think Thailand has a great future to come, where people is following the law.

• Like 1

I don't think this is about to get money in the box and they don't loose any money. If this crackdown was not enforced they don't get the money anyway. People will still keep overstaying. I like you, think this is a great policy for Thailand. So if people overstay. Sort it out and don't hide, it will only be worse later. I think Thailand has a great future to come, where people is following the law.

As i said, the policy is great for Thailand I agree. But it wont get current overstayers out and i think there are quite a few. Maybe not everyone would of gone but I think a big amount of people would of sorted themselves out if there was a bit more time. Now all that will happen is people will use bribes to sort things out, of which there are many options. The state will lose the money.

As i said, the policy is great for Thailand I agree. But it wont get current overstayers out and i think there are quite a few. Maybe not everyone would of gone but I think a big amount of people would of sorted themselves out if there was a bit more time. Now all that will happen is people will use bribes to sort things out, of which there are many options. The state will lose the money.

That's the problem Thailand is facing right now. Overstayers has been used to just paid I'm above the law, cause I have money. I think this general is doing something good here, to crack down on brides, crackdown on overstayers , Tuk tuk mafia and so on. This like this do , I believe this it's not about money, but to enforce. Laws.

If they bribe a officer, they still have to pay the 20000 to get out, and maybe they lucky to not get a ban. But next time they arrive to Thailand,a least they have the right visa.

You can turn it around. Let's say a overstayers don't want to leave instead of 1 year ban they get 5 year ban

I posted this in another thread but think it better suited to this thread....

I have to wonder if the Immigration Detention Center has had any input into this new ruling or they have just recently offloaded a lot of Asian overstayers as to make room for the massive influx of new guests(farang)due to the rushing in of a law without any amnesty for people to become legal.

The personal impact on families in Thailand financially and emotionally will be devastating and this at a time when tourism is also being hit hard by the uncertainty around the country.

I understand the new penalties but not the introduction of a pre-determined amnesty that would less burden the detention system and the terrible affect it will have on many.

As one poster has already alluded to what is the point of trying to clear an overstay now if the punishment is not being with your kids for years!...for me it is verging on becoming a human rights issue.

Another mess that really should of been given a lot more thought and planning.Good luck to anybody affected by this and to those who are not ......"there for the grace of god go i"

Edited by Bangon

That's the problem Thailand is facing right now. Overstayers has been used to just paid I'm above the law, cause I have money. I think this general is doing something good here, to crack down on brides, crackdown on overstayers , Tuk tuk mafia and so on. This like this do , I believe this it's not about money, but to enforce. Laws.

If they bribe a officer, they still have to pay the 20000 to get out, and maybe they lucky to not get a ban. But next time they arrive to Thailand,a least they have the right visa.

You can turn it around. Let's say a overstayers don't want to leave instead of 1 year ban they get 5 year ban

Yes the general does seem to be doing a good job but a culture of corruption takes years to sort out not months. There will be and are plenty of bribe options to sort out overstay problems. If its not about the money then just give an amnesty period then !! if it is about the money then still just give an amnesty period because your more likely to get people surrendering.

• Like 1

Yes the general does seem to be doing a good job but a culture of corruption takes years to sort out not months. There will be and are plenty of bribe options to sort out overstay problems. If its not about the money then just give an amnesty period then !! if it is about the money then still just give an amnesty period because your more likely to get people surrendering.

Agree with you about the amnesty ;) , but there's country , there's way

Agree with you about the amnesty wink.png , but there's country , there's way

Agreed and they can do what they want but if the aim is to clean up then it wont clean up, is my point !

So... Attempt to leave and clear or not? Please take my money and let me back next month Thailand! I am happy to follow all requirements to be 100% legal after the overstay clearance but I have no idea if I can fix it now. I don't want to lose my family even for one year.

The immirgation notice regarding overstay has been removed from their website, as JordanJames mentioned. It is a strong indication that the rules are not in effect yet. But probably will be very soon.

I noted in another thread.. Its not removed.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

The link is working, but the pop-up has been removed and doesn't show anymore when you go to the immirgaiton webiste. Nor is there a link on the immigration websiste to that page.

So... Attempt to leave and clear or not? Please take my money and let me back next month Thailand! I am happy to follow all requirements to be 100% legal after the overstay clearance but I have no idea if I can fix it now. I don't want to lose my family even for one year.

Leave and pay now if you don't you have a big problem in the future for sure and won't see your family for a long time.

That's not the site they are talking about.

Are you trying to say immigration.go.th is not the thai immigration site ??

I should have said that wasn't the page they were talking about.

That page in the above link has been up for days. 4 or 5 days. From what I read, there was something new that just started today, a pop-up or something, that has now been taken down.

I don't have the time to chase it down right now but the posts were from reliable sources.

'nuff said

~

Leave and pay now if you don't you have a big problem in the future for sure and won't see your family for a long time.

Many overstayers havent got a pot to piss in,thats why they are on overstay, some as long as 3 years or more