Help with Isaan phrase please

a1falang

This is what one of my translators shows --- hope it helps

• ra.gifโพดโพ เนาะ อ้า เจ้า

• pôht-poh nór âa jâo
โพดโพ pôht-poh phot-pho (transliteration) เนาะ nór (particle used when seeking agreement or confirmation of a statement) อ้า âa spread out ; stretch out yor yak (ย - the thirty fourth letter of the Thai alphabet) เจ้า jâo prince ; princess ; lord
owner ; possessor
(prefix used before names of children, inferiors or subordinates)
(a prefix showing something someone does skillfully or has frequently)

This is what one of my translators shows --- hope it helps

• ra.gifโพดโพ เนาะ อ้า เจ้า
  • pôht-poh nór âa jâo
โพดโพ pôht-poh phot-pho (transliteration) เนาะ nór (particle used when seeking agreement or confirmation of a statement) อ้า âa spread out ; stretch out yor yak (ย - the thirty fourth letter of the Thai alphabet) เจ้า jâo prince ; princess ; lord

owner ; possessor

(prefix used before names of children, inferiors or subordinates)

(a prefix showing something someone does skillfully or has frequently)

Thanks for your help. What does it actually mean? Is there enough to make it into a coherent sentence?

Edit: actually, it looks like you've just run it through some kind of machine translation. Do you think I hadn't done that? (www.Thai2English.com) Machine translation handles only Thai (and not very well), not Isaan. This is not "help". If someone who speaks Isaan could help, I would be very grateful.

Edited by a1falang

I asked the Mrs (Issarn). The only explanation she can offer is that the word needs to be used in context to have any real meaning. If part of an overall sentence then may be able to give meaning.

Sorry this isn't much help to answer your query but more information required be of further assistance.

I asked the Mrs (Issarn). The only explanation she can offer is that the word needs to be used in context to have any real meaning. If part of an overall sentence then may be able to give meaning.

Sorry this isn't much help to answer your query but more information required be of further assistance.

Actually, I suspected there wasn't enough context or words to go by. Thanks to your missus.

It's an expression.

Let me give you an example. You eat something using a dish that seems to be clean enough for you.

But I see some dirt on/at it and let you know that. But you're the one who's eating it.

It's more a joke in Isaan.

This is very hard to say if it means just one thing,but.....Let's say you wear shorts and a cheap shirt all of the time.One day you wear nice pants and a great shirt and you look very handsom.You look "over the top" โพดโพ เนาะ อ้า เจ้า .Ok Another way to understand would be....You go fishing and you always catch one or two fish and they are small.Well today you catch many fish and they are BIG You look "over the top"โพดโพ เนาะ อ้า เจ้า.Very hard to say just a way to clarifiy something. Ok another way would be....You have an old "car" but today you show up with a new "car".People would say โพดโพ เนาะ อ้า เจ้า .WOW what happened you have new "car"!!!! As you can see it does not mean just yes or no.I guess you could say it is a way of Esarn language to say you have bettered yourself in that sitution.Understand?

Thanks to everyone for their inputs and explanations. It seems to be some like "You've outdone yourself!" or "Haven't you done well?" in an ironic way. I can't think of a closer English equivalent. Perhaps others can, but these seem good enough.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs and explanations. It seems to be some like "You've outdone yourself!" or "Haven't you done well?" in an ironic way. I can't think of a closer English equivalent. Perhaps others can, but these seem good enough.

I don't think this is right!. It is very difficult to translate as the words are 'old ' Lao words. It seems to be used when anything is 'over' or 'over the top'.

It is easier to translate into French: De trop..beaucoup trop!

It is not rude ai is a synonym of brother and jao is a Lanna/Lao word like ka or krup

I have heard it used when someone eats too much, or is too solicitous about something!

Edited by laolover88

Well, we also say this this in English "You're too much!" or "It's just too much!" and other variations. If it can be translated into French, I don't see why English would be a huge problem.

Well, we also say this this in English "You're too much!" or "It's just too much!" and other variations. If it can be translated into French, I don't see why English would be a huge problem.

But these two English phrases are not the same. "You're too much", depending on how you say it can mean either "You are gross" or a friendly gloss on "Get away with you". While "It's just too much" is a normal response to something like bad service. The Lao phrase is friendly, polite, but critical.!

A hard one.

Exactly two Google hits for the complete phrase.

One is this thread.

Better be posted in the Thai language subforum.

One German/Thai dictionary says that "โพด" means "too much".

Edited by KhunBENQ

Ain't you over the top

This one,

But woman talking to an older man as indicated by these two words.

(อ้าย เจ้า)

I wondered if the first word was not a Lao transliteration attempt at the English word "postpone", as in "how about postponing it, older brother?" spoken by a younger woman to an older guy she looks up to? Am probably talking <deleted>, but it was my first thought on reading the sentence. sad.png

Its a lady answering a man who has been big noting himself to her. She answers him almost like saying wow, you're so good, so rich, she doesn't really mean it. Shes laughing at him.

Op, did you tell some girl you have a big house, big car, big wallet?