Thai girls threatening/contemplating suicide

gray42

Wasn't there a dating forum before? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I can't find it now. Hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place.

A couple (Thai girl, foreign guy) are friends of mine, but they split up. I still hung out with both of them, although separately. The girl would talk frequently about wanting to kill herself, to the point where I stopped taking her seriously.

Recently I (temporarily) broke up with my girlfriend. After it was evident I wasn't going to say we can try again, she started talking about how she wants to die and texted basically "goodbye, I'm going to sleep forever now". Obviously I'm not going to just let her say something like that and not do anything, so I called her back and calmed her down, but I'm wondering how seriously to take these "threats".

My questions is, in all of your expat wisdom, is it common for Thai girls to talk about suicide, especially during a breakup, and in your experience is it all talk or have they tried to act on it? I don't like feeling like my girlfriend is using suicidal threats to get her way.

Please keep it serious. These aren't bar girls I'm talking about, but normal girls with normal jobs.

Please keep it serious.........

I'm trying, but I can't..........

Why this earth is populated with gullible people?

This is a standard, woman's reaction and lie from the beginning of mankind on earth.

Never once had this problem with American girls.

• Like 1

Oldest trick in the book. Ignore her and get a new phone and move. Just emotional blackmail. If she kills herself it's her problem not yours.

I quite like living in this small town, but if she killed herself I'd have big, big problems. Most likely with her father, who hasn't wanted to meet his daughter's farang boyfriend in the 8 months we've been together. Anyway, as I replied to the person after you, I never had this problem with American girls. Maybe it's a maturity thing. Thai girls do seem to mature slower, or maybe differently, than American girls.

This is a standard, woman's reaction and lie from the beginning of mankind on earth.

One suggests then you date American girls only then...BTW Toto Thailand aint in Kansas

• Like 1

One suggests then you date American girls only then...BTW Toto Thailand aint in Kansas

That's precisely why I'm here. I suppose asking expats in Thailand for advice on Thai girls was a bad idea from the start. Should've known better.

but your not asking for advice, your making statements....

That's precisely why I'm here. I suppose asking expats in Thailand for advice on Thai girls was a bad idea from the start. Should've known better.

but your not asking for advice, your making statements....

I asked if anyone else had these same issues with Thai girls, and if they ever tried to act on it. It was a pretty straightforward question, actually. Anyway, if an admin is reading this can you just delete this post? Obviously a topic such as this bring out the gems that lurk in these forums.

I asked if anyone else had these same issues with Thai girls, and if they ever tried to act on it. It was a pretty straightforward question, actually. Anyway, if an admin is reading this can you just delete this post? Obviously a topic such as this bring out the gems that lurk in these forums.

Do you really think you are the first guy to encounter this?

Be smart learn from other peoples mistakes not your own.

Unfortunately the girls completely miscall our reaction to this kind of threat. They think that we will think " oh she loves me so much she would rather kill herself then be without me, what a lucky chap I am". But what we really think is "run, run , run"

I once had an imported Thai girlfriend in the UK and after a row and silence treatment, came back from work one day. She was very quiet and gave me a letter. She said if I die give this to her mum. It was written in a really weird brown ink, and then I noticed several cuts on her arms. Alarm bell started ringing and she flew home a week or so later with the promise that we would never again say goodbye at an airport. She took it as meaning we would marry and either I would move to Thailand or she would move to the UK. That wasn't what I meant. I have no idea what happened to her.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

If I thought I was the first person to encounter this, why would I have posted this in the first place? Obviously I'm looking to learn from other people's mistakes, as I haven't encountered suicidal girlfriends before.

Unfortunately the girls completely miscall our reaction to this kind of threat. They think that we will think " oh she loves me so much she would rather kill herself then be without me, what a lucky chap I am". But what we really think is "run, run , run"

I once had an imported Thai girlfriend in the UK and after a row and silence treatment, came back from work one day. She was very quiet and gave me a letter. She said if I die give this to her mum. It was written in a really weird brown ink, and then I noticed several cuts on her arms. Alarm bell started ringing and she flew home a week or so later with the promise that we would never again say goodbye at an airport. She took it as meaning we would marry and either I would move to Thailand or she would move to the UK. That wasn't what I meant. I have no idea what happened to her.

SDM

Thank you for the serious reply, SDM. Yes, my first reaction was to hang up the phone and end it at that, but when it's someone you do care for that's not an easy thing to do. Sounds like you called her bluff and as far as you know she's still alive and kickin'.

If I thought I was the first person to encounter this, why would I have posted this in the first place? Obviously I'm looking to learn from other people's mistakes, as I haven't encountered suicidal girlfriends before.

couldnt have had many GF's then, its called emotional blackmail dear boy, and reacting to it is exactly what they want you to do, its a game thats being played...

• Like 2

couldnt have had many GF's then, its called emotional blackmail dear boy, and reacting to it is exactly what they want you to do, its a game thats being played...

There seems to be a different maturity level. First girl I dated in Thailand was very mature, no problems, no threats like this, handled everything very maturely. The next two, not so much, and it's the first time I've dated girls like that. So I'm 1 for 3 on not-crazy. This is why I want to know how common this is with Thai girls.

SDM

Thank you for the serious reply, SDM. Yes, my first reaction was to hang up the phone and end it at that, but when it's someone you do care for that's not an easy thing to do. Sounds like you called her bluff and as far as you know she's still alive and kickin'.

No problem, however with all their "tongue in cheek" replies there is wisdom is what the other guys say, perhaps not framed as diplomatically as I have. This kind of behaviour is common and we hear about it all the time. It's normally from girls in a particular line of work but it is a ploy. a bit of emotional blackmail. You might even find they do cut themselves or even their wrists being very careful to avoid any veins. From what I have observed and in my opinion if someone wants to really kill themselves they just do it. What they don't do is announce it to the world beforehand and wait to be saved.

Thailand is my country now so I won't knock it, but what I will say is nothing is quite what it appears to be.

My advise to you is change your phone number, block her on LINE, MSN, What If, and forget about it. Your life should be more important to you than hers, don't waste it worrying what she might do to herself, she's not a child.

S

PS Alive and kicking, no idea and don't care. Any feelings I had disappeared when she turned into a lunatic. I don't take kindly to blackmail.

Edited by SDM0712
  • Like 2

I would love to know the stats for girls that threatened suicide and followed through.

Maybe null.

I think it happens, and often when the "show" goes wrong and they really do nick a vein.

S

I would love to know the stats for girls that threatened suicide and followed through.

Maybe null.

I think it happens, and often when the "show" goes wrong and they really do nick a vein.

S

I dont think so, isnt the preferred method in Thailand downing a bottle of drain/toilet cleaner, I dont think Thai ladies are too big on slitting their wrists anyway

Edited by Soutpeel

There seems to be a different maturity level. First girl I dated in Thailand was very mature, no problems, no threats like this, handled everything very maturely. The next two, not so much, and it's the first time I've dated girls like that. So I'm 1 for 3 on not-crazy. This is why I want to know how common this is with Thai girls.

This is one of the many consequences of getting "freebies". Sex is a financial transaction in Thailand whether you like it, agree to it or not.

If you are looking for your soul mate keep looking but pay along the way.

I had a friend that dumped his TGF, she drank a bottle of sangsom and took a bunch of pills, he found her unconcious and took her to the hospital, a few months later, he killed himself and she "followed" a month later.... tragic. So it does happen.

Maybe null.

S

I dont think so, isnt the preferred method in Thailand downing a bottle of drain/toilet cleaner, I dont think Thai ladies are too big on slitting their wrists anyway

You miss my point. The idea is not to kill themselves bit to put on a "show" and appear as if they are so they can be "saved" and the boyfriend will come to his senses and they will all live happily ever after. They just get it wrong and miss. The problem with downing a liquid is that it is normally fatal and even if they were rushed to hospital probably wouldn't survive.

S

Many moons ago, when I was married to the wicked witch of the west, she would pull stunts like this. One night after a good round, she went into the bathroom and said that she was going to kill herself. Now this was probably the 100th time I had heard this. I offered to get my pistol and load it for her. At that she came storming out an accused me of wanting to kill her. It was downhill from there.

I had one of those.

Maybe null.

Would be a horrid sight seeing a hysterical TG following through. Shittt everywhere. Edited by mrtoad

This act they use agaist you is very immature. My ex has tried this on me several times because she could not get her own way, but just brushed it off.

The scary thing here is there is a high suicide rate