Dutch Man Arrested For Drugs and Money Laundering in Pattaya

Rimmer

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If no charges have been laid in the Netherlands that would result in an extradition order being able to be won I fail to see that this is right. Should a non judicial body assisted by another non judicial the Embassy be able to treat a person as if he has been convicted in a court?

Edited by harrry

Also he had bought lands

How do the Dutch get the right to buy land but other foreigners can't.

*sarcasm*

Because we are related to the Master Race the Germans but smarter we get special privileges that descendants of the Brits don't get. *sarcasm*

Of course the Dutch cant buy land I wish it was so. The land is in the name of his wife of course.

• Like 1

As usual the story is very convoluted . Misinformation obtained thru a Thai interpreter. I don't see what crime he committed in Thailand. And his crime in the Netherlands is only an assertion at this point. The Thai authorities sure didn't waste any time grabbing his assets though.

Yeah, thats the weird part. He is innocent until proven guilty, so how can seizing his property be legal ?

I mean they could freeze his assets if needed, but to actually seize assets from a yet to be proven guilty person seems harsh.

If anything thats the real crime here... .....

Is someone innocent until proven guilty in Thailand?

It never seems that way from much of the media...

As usual the story is very convoluted . Misinformation obtained thru a Thai interpreter. I don't see what crime he committed in Thailand. And his crime in the Netherlands is only an assertion at this point. The Thai authorities sure didn't waste any time grabbing his assets though.

He also accuse of money laundering that's an offence that the junta are targeting very

seriously now, for it look like his goose is pretty much cooked now...

Yes, the story is convoluted, but not very. This is an extradition case, the Thai authorities, acting on a Dutch request. Yes, of course it's an assertion,what ISN'T an assertion in legal terms at this point? But they will be held for extradition or deportation depending how the case proceeds.

But while making the extradition arrest, the Thai authorities on the raid found these people are also laundering money, decided by Amlo, which has the right to decide, and then to seize and then ask questions. (And it soon is to get worse, as General Sarit and the military heroes award Amlo much more, ahem, independence, to decide what should be seized and when.) So far as assets are concerned, Amlo is fully empowered to declare excess and unexplained wealth, seize it just in case, and then wait to see how the legal case proceeds. If a full-out innocent verdict is reached, the assets will be returned.

I assume that the money-laundering is based on their not being able explain how they got the money in Thailand, and if they said it was from Holland, then it's laundered if it was never declared.

The charge will presumably be international money-laundering which is a crime in both Holland and Thailand. The drugs question is probably irrelevant (though the local police were surely hoping to find some during the raid).

Suspected money-laundering offences allow for goods/property/money to be seized pending trial, to prevent the accused disposing of them in the meantime. If he is found innocent they would be returned to him.

I suspect that there are hundreds if not thousands of farangs of all nationalities in Thailand (and especially tourist areas like Pattaya) who could potentially be arrested for the same reason as this chap. Too many farang crooks here.

Dutch drug gang leader arrested

7-24-2014-10-38-46-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Department of Special Investigation (DSI), Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO), and local police smashed an international drug trafficking gang led by a notorious Dutch trafficker and his Thai wife and seized their assets worth more than 100 million baht in Pattaya Wednesday.

The Dutch suspect was identified as Johannes Petrus Maria van Vanarhoven

DSI received a request from the Netherlands to arrest and extradite Johannes Petrus Maria van Vanarhoven and his Thaiwife Mingkwan Kaen-in for their involvement in the trafficking of marijuana through a drug network in the Netherlands.

Thai authorities later found their hideouts which comprise buildings and houses at four locations in Bang Lamung and Sattahip districts of Chonburi.

Thai authorities charged the couple on transnational drug trafficking and money-laundering and will have to face punishment here before being extradited to the Netherlands.

OAG’s litigation chief Surasak Trirattrakul said the Netherlands has also pressed drug trafficking charges against the elder brother of the Dutch suspect but he had earlier been arrested in the Netherlands.

The Dutch and his Thai wife have been accused of smuggling large quantities of marijuana into the Netherlands for sale. They had been involved in drug trafficking for several years and laundering money from the sale of drugs to buy properties and other assets in several countries, including Thailand, he said.

AMLO secretary-general Pol Col Sihanart Prayoonrat said officials initially seized 10 bank accounts connected to the couple and their two children totalling 20 million baht, about 100 million baht worth of buildings and condos in Samut Prakan and three of their cars worth about 30 million baht, gold ornaments.

Two handguns and 159 bullets were also seized.

He said the couple were found to have used money acquired from the sale of narcotics to buy properties in Thailand, he said.

According to information given Thai authorities by the Dutch authorities, the gang had operated a coffee shop as a front for its illicit drug trading. Drugs had been sold at the shop, bringing income of about 600-800 million baht annually to the shop.

The couple would face punishment in Thailand before being extradited to the Netherlands, authorities said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dutch-drug-gang-leader-arrested/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-24

Yeah, thats the weird part. He is innocent until proven guilty, so how can seizing his property be legal ?

I mean they could freeze his assets if needed, but to actually seize assets from a yet to be proven guilty person seems harsh.

If anything thats the real crime here... .....

the scums assets (his wife's) are frozen and his guns confiscated. Di.....
  • Like 1

Thai authorities charged the couple on transnational drug trafficking and money-laundering and will have to face punishment here before being extradited to the Netherlands.

So where are the tons of drugs hidden? The DSI did not find any at the property..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"According to Thai law, the couple will be tried and punished here before being extradited to the Netherlands."

And what did they do here in Thailand, that constitutes a crime ? Invest - buy houses and cars - had money in the bank ?

Seems unlikely they can be tried and punished here, for crimes done in Holland.

So if anything, they should extradite him back home like yesterday.

Oh and what's the crime of the Thai lady, marrying a seemingly rich "businessman" ?

I think its called money laundering, and his wife is an accomplice. Investing with dirty money. Apparently, money laundering is perfectly fine for some nationalities but not for the Dutch. The hub of money laundering!!! The question is, how did they bring/transfer the money here?

I think its called money laundering, and his wife is an accomplice. Investing with dirty money. Apparently, money laundering is perfectly fine for some nationalities but not for the Dutch. The hub of money laundering!!! The question is, how did they bring/transfer the money here?

I think you don't follow the activities of Amlo very closely. It's an extremely active law enforcement arm, and is about to get much more active still, as Gen Sarit and the junta turn their pledge into reality and give Amlo godlike search, seizure, investigative, arrest and other powers.

As for your question, I'm sure that the authorities have a good idea AND they would like to know much more. However, for the purposes of the money laundering law the answer is not required, as these people have a lot of assets they can't account for, which - while it has to go to court and all to give this couple a chance to reclaim their property - is both prima facie proof of money laundering and reason for instant asset seizure.

I think its called money laundering, and his wife is an accomplice. Investing with dirty money. Apparently, money laundering is perfectly fine for some nationalities but not for the Dutch. The hub of money laundering!!! The question is, how did they bring/transfer the money here?----Isaandon,

You can ask that question as a pom Isaandon, as to bring a million £ with you would be staggering along with over 25Kg..... however the E.U makes it a little easier with large denomination notes, € 500 etc means you can salter along to your first class seat, carrying just over 2 klg on you = a Million £.....54Million Baht....................................coffee1.gif

Edited by sanuk711

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think its called money laundering, and his wife is an accomplice. Investing with dirty money. Apparently, money laundering is perfectly fine for some nationalities but not for the Dutch. The hub of money laundering!!! The question is, how did they bring/transfer the money here?----Isaandon,

You can ask that question as a pom Isaandon, as to bring a million £ with you would be staggering along with over 25Kg..... however the E.U makes it a little easier with large denomination notes, € 500 etc means you can salter along to your first class seat, carrying just over 2 klg on you = a Million £.....54Million Baht....................................coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

LMAO..You obviously missed the point. Oh course any donkey can hand carry/smuggle .money in. It is still illegal to hand carry more than $20,000 USD with out declaring it at customs. I guess that would be another serious offense on top of.....blink.png

Remember until just recently( and I think they are allowing it again) Canabbis in Coffee shops in the Netherlands was legal.

I has always been semi legal.. you can have up to 5 grams of it.

But the coffee-shops can only have a limited amount and cant buy it legally (that is the crazy part) We need a political party with balls that makes the growing legal for domestic consumption. But i doubt anyone will go for it as then our neighbor countries will go crazy.

The crazy part about so-called "coffee" shops in Holland is this: If illegal pot can somehow magically appear in a coffee shop, it can then be legally sold to the public. Makes sense to me ... or at least it does after a few minutes in an Amsterdam coffee shop.

• Like 2

Remember until just recently( and I think they are allowing it again) Canabbis in Coffee shops in the Netherlands was legal.

I has always been semi legal.. you can have up to 5 grams of it.

But the coffee-shops can only have a limited amount and cant buy it legally (that is the crazy part) We need a political party with balls that makes the growing legal for domestic consumption. But i doubt anyone will go for it as then our neighbor countries will go crazy.

The crazy part about so-called "coffee" shops in Holland is this: If illegal pot can somehow magically appear in a coffee shop, it can then be legally sold to the public. Makes sense to me ... or at least it does after a few minutes in an Amsterdam coffee shop.

Your making my point.. this should change in the Netherlands but no one will burn their hands on this because our neighbor countries wont like it one bit.

I know this guy fairly well,

Nice friendly chap, he told me years ago that he has some coffee shops in Netherlands and that they are legal.
This case stinks, he has not committed a crime in Thailand how dare they take all his assets, ok maybe he owes some tax or something, but if he was really getting 500 mil per year, dont you think that after all these years living over here his estate in Thailand would be valued more than 50mil baht??
I feel bad for him and his wife looks like their life as they knew it has been shut down! reminds me of the WOLFGANG story, they did the same to him, took everything he had.

• Like 1

Wow. He has lost considerable amount of money there ! Even if the houses were rented there's the vehicles and the all the trappings of wealth.

Some of the story doesn't ring true however. There's something not quite right about it. Anyone.

• Like 1