a wedding - what is reasonable, in terms of cost?

David48

This is not me ...

Ok, let me ask once again. Beyond the dowry ****, what is reasonable, in terms of cost, for a wedding, temple, donation, reception, etc., for about 100 people, in a Thai village?

I want my wife to be proud and do not want to penny pinch, but I want the family to be fair with me.

We will be hiring a band, a stage, tables, chairs, PA system, booze, food, etc.

What do you guys think is fair and reasonable?

Any estimates?

But someone here needs to know.

Can you help him?

• Like 1

We spent about 450k for ours..

Depends where you are and what type of wedding it's going to be, plus the amount of invites that are sent out. (100 invites could turn into 150 guests very quickly) smile.png

I guess you could do it for a lot less.

Edited by cornishcarlos

If you would like a more accurate answer with willing to supply more details, then ask Khun Jit. at Thailand Weddings she can better tell you true costs. She only does weddings in Chiang Mai but can tell you real costs if you explain properly.

ROFL

This guys pulling your leg . 100k bht would give you a very nice party. And especially if its in a village. Dont let them make all choices about music and food etc. Because theres the skimming. They all have friends that do this and that. Get different offers from different bands etc.

Gl

• Like 1

We are currently arranging a wedding for our daughter and it looks like it will come to be about 75,000 to 100,000. This includes rental of a hall at a very nice resort for the wedding, bridal company fees for arranging it all and for providing rental clothing, morning breakfast for family and token gifts for 150 guests.

If it is a village type wedding then all family and friends will do the cooking, they will arrange the pig or 2 let the missus arrange the food they will buy it from the market, they will get the table/chairs and pots/pans,glasses etc from the temple and the monks will charge you a fair price, get all the drinks from a wholesaler,Makro etc all that should cost you under 100k, I would say in total no more than 200k.

I had a big one about 100 villagers and relations, you will get envelopes with some money in from a lot of the people.

All the family and friends will do all the cooking.

I spent about 200k on my wedding. I went pretty much all out though, rode an elephant to the morning ceremony, then had a big party in the evening at a restaurant by the river with about 300 guests, a live band, and lots of booze. I made quite a bit back on the envelopes.

I can give you my wedding costs from last year out in Panatnikhom on her sisters land for about 100 people

• Food and music package, including stage, three coyote dancing girls, DJ and sound system, tents to cover all guests and tables and chairs with 4 or 5 people cooking the food on their own kitchen equipment and then serving and cleaning up afterwards 65000 Baht smile.png
  • Lights for nightime party that we did not attend - 3000 Baht
  • 12- seater minivan from Bangkok for some guests - 3000 Baht
  • Wedding make up for bride - 1700 Baht
  • 12 Monks to come and chant ?? Baht
  • Presents (the little pink envelopes to give out) 3400 Baht
  • Present for friend, who helped set something up and probably for the wedding flowers also - 2000 Baht
  • Fuel for the car we were taken in -1000 Baht
  • Extra Whiskey - 3200 Baht
  • Beer - 5000 Baht
  • Traffic controller x 3 - 500 Baht
  • Two wedding suits and wedding dress, gift box hire etc - 10500 Baht
  • Donation to sister for use of land and to make the two toilets acceptable to guests 40000 Baht

Total cost was around 140000 Baht for the day. We got stung a little bit by the sister, but they did have a party the night before and she did a lot of organising of food for the wedding procession, monks etc

Best value was the catering package but you will really have to get several quotes as the prices are all over the place.

Separate to the wedding we had an afternoons studio photography in Bangkok for 3000 Baht. This came with make up and costumes and took about 4 hours.

Hope this gives you some guidance.

• Like 1

If it is a village type wedding then all family and friends will do the cooking, they will arrange the pig or 2 let the missus arrange the food they will buy it from the market, they will get the table/chairs and pots/pans,glasses etc from the temple and the monks will charge you a fair price, get all the drinks from a wholesaler,Makro etc all that should cost you under 100k, I would say in total no more than 200k.

I had a big one about 100 villagers and relations, you will get envelopes with some money in from a lot of the people.

All the family and friends will do all the cooking.

Just about what happened in our case, around 200 invites sent out and neighbours and family cooked. Music on stage with coyote dancers ;-) plenty of food, and beers. Over 250 turned up and 5 monks conducted ceremony. Including hire of beautiful wedding dress and my suit all food, drink, music, dancers, table and chair hire, separate PA system ,singer was 140000 baht. This was in Issan May 2013.

I remember watching the sun going down at end of day and thinking it was a bargain, and a brilliant day, compared to uk costs

Really big do, about 500bht/head.

Assuming village catering.

100 people = 50k

More if you want a procession with elephants.

I agree. Give them a budget, here is what you're going to get from me. They'll do it.

• Like 2

I know a very good UK Officient - lived here many years. He is Very busy,
but could help you with a more Western (Lower cost) wedding?

AND a Good Philippine Band (Played at many Thai hote receptions...)
They are busy on High days and Holidays, so if available on your dates could be low cost...

I organise worldwide weddings with TravelMoons -
for anyone who needs travel and weddings on beautiful islands worldwide

My guess is at least 120-150k but if this continue for a few days the bill can get much higher.

We spent about 450k for ours..

Depends where you are and what type of wedding it's going to be, plus the amount of invites that are sent out. (100 invites could turn into 150 guests very quickly) smile.png

I guess you could do it for a lot less.

Thai wedding and 100 guests!! 500-2000smile.png atleast!! Or lots of angry neighbors and relatives.

• Like 1

It's a loaded question- It all goes to the Socio- economic status of the parents- and their expectations- as well as those in attendance at the ceremony- plus the grooms socio-economuc status/likability quotiant. This mediated by the grooms willingness/knowledge of local Indigenous expectations. All that Anthropologicaly skewered view asside- Just throw down enough money to pay for food- drinks and entertainment as per what the location requires. In the Village at the Pu ya Baans house it would be much less than in a hiso hotel's conferance area. Pay what your comfortable with- and buy a few books about Thailand- Guys like Willaim Klaussner came here in 1950 somthing and have written extensively about this kind of thing.

Edited by bobthomas

I detest weddings of any sort . Our wedding cost bt200 at the local Amphur registry . We didn't have any party or festivities and we didn't tell anyone

for several days . I sent my son in America a text , he spread the word among our family in England . My wife first told a sister , father was incredulous when she told him a week later . The Thai wedding is nauseous with the display of gold and counting out the money for all to see . The wedding has no

real value , just a community permit for the couple to sleep together , but nothing binding , they can walk away from one another at any time .

spending cost ?blink.png

nothing ...just go to the right place and sign.thumbsup.gif ...then you will be married.

after ..........coffee1.gif ..........only if you want, as an example, you can buy a pig partytime2.gif to invite the all family and the neibours.....ah ....dont forget the lao khao and plenty of beer because they are going to get all pissed before you.

thats what i did after a few mounth....when i went to the village but the rest is really up to you and how much your new wife is going to be able to take from you, if you are dumm enough or if you are clever and strong enough to say no to many, many stupid things made only to make you spend and spend more.?oh....my..darling...please ..can..you?...!...pay.. .?

always start like this....now you are aware of it! good luck!

hit-the-fan.gif

David, tell your friend it will cost him an arm and a leg.

This is judging from friends weddings I've been to.

About 150K and that depends what hall or restaurant they will hire.

My wedding was also very expensive.

Took her to BKK, got married, took her to a street vendor to have dinner after, and went to bed to that expensive hotel that the air condition was not working, and could hear all the shouting from the next room.

Quite entertaining......

Next morning got the bus back to KK, don't use planes .....in case they crash, and send her back to work to get some money.

Ahhhhh, memories.........you can never forget the good times in your life......

You don't take planes because they crash; instead you take the bus. Hmm, what brand of ouzo do you drink?

• Like 1

I detest weddings of any sort . Our wedding cost bt200 at the local Amphur registry . We didn't have any party or festivities and we didn't tell anyone

for several days . I sent my son in America a text , he spread the word among our family in England . My wife first told a sister , father was incredulous when she told him a week later . The Thai wedding is nauseous with the display of gold and counting out the money for all to see . The wedding has no

real value , just a community permit for the couple to sleep together , but nothing binding , they can walk away from one another at any time .

Yep, same for me and the wife, although we will have a small party for friends sometime in the future. Her Mum and Dad were fine, said it was up to us what we do.

No sinsod, no gold, no face saving rubbish etc.

So 200bht, 45 mins in Amphur, done and dusted.

• Like 1