Cheaters and corrupt politicians may be banned from Thai politics for life

webfact

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would completely agree with all political parties being disbanded and made to register as new parties after a suitable waiting period.  I think under the circumstances we have had it is also reasonable that all past ministers at least be not permitted to contest for 5 years.  This may put some new blood in the party but still enables competent people to contribute later if the people do want them.

• Like 2

This could be taken a little further with a "guilt by association" clause, and thereby strengthen the punitive effects. Someone who is banned under this law should also be forbidden from any contact or association with any registered member of any political party. That would go a long way to curbing backroom dealings (heavy punishment for the registered members) and stopping popular pollies from "accidentally" getting involved in such things as publicity generating events. Also, a pollie banned for life should be required to submit financial statements to the authorities for 10 years (failure to do so would bring a non-suspendable 6 months prison sentence and minimum fine of 50% of his/her assets).

I also hope there are no more educational restrictions on taking a seat - how odious that rule is.
  • Like 2

Another smoke and mirror response to a issue to make the Thais, foreigners and tourist feel better if something is really seriously being done?

If they were to actually do it who would be left to represent the country?  I say represent not actually run the country because it seems the country can run by itself or at least by the corrupt Army leaders and police?

In articles just last year polls show that it was acceptable to people in this country for corruption to exist?  In another interview with government official they felt lying a little was o.k. as long as it provide calm to the country people?  They lied about the economy, they lied about the rise and fall of the baht, they lied about the rice scheme, they lied about the tourist are coming back and they will meet their target. This is all normal to them and after a while it is normal to me too as long as the baht gets weaker so I can continue to just have fun?

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

Hmmmmmm....as corruptption is endemic in Thai politics and the judiciary one wonders how they will be sorted out.

However if it is just an exercise to clear out opponents of the current regime, then the process should be a lot easier.

• Like 2

Been nothing but positive talk and action since the coup. But, this is possibly the best news yet. Lets hope action follows all the talk. Realistically corruption will never be eliminated. But if reduced by 50% then it can only be positive. Heavy punishment for corruption will help towards this aim

• Like 2