Thailand Travel Shield insurance may be purchased by tourists starting today, Jul 25

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you can buy a years coverage for 12k bht but won't be allowed the back to back border hops to stay a year?

You don't need back to back border-runs, you can travel as a tourist theoretically 6 times a year for 60 days with a proper visa, apart it would cost you ฿ 18900 for plan 2, so what would you choose, individual trip or annual cover plan?

KS

Before you all get too excited - and seem to need it explained because you are either too lazy to open the link or are mentally challenged

This insurance covers a maximum stay of 60 days per trip even if you have an annual policy

This is standard for most travel insurance, I get free travel with my bank account but is limited to 60 days with other limitations that a few have also mentioned here

This policy is for tourists only that stay in Thailand for up to 60 days - I will also guess that the 60 days has another clause that defines it as - in any 180 days or similar

So I'm arriving on 17th Dec 2014 and leaving on 17th Feb 2015, which is 62 days. Does that mean I can't apply for this insurance, or that it will only cover me for 60 of the 62 days? I've had a quick look at the site, but couldn't see anything which referred to that.

Putting the cost in context, it seems like a good deal even with all the exclusions.

A 60 day Plan 1 policy (1 million Baht maximum medical benefit) is about $.90 US / day.

Plan 2 (2 million Baht maximum medical benefit) is about $1.65 US / day.

To be sure, the medical coverage is not traditional health insurance. It doesn't cover wellness visits or exams. It doesn't cover chronic or pre-existing conditions. And it excludes injuries arising while intoxicated or from a range of activities such as scuba diving, bungee jumping, jet skiing, participating in a brawl, etc.

Also only available to those under 70 years old.

"Such threats include riots, terrorism and political turmoil."

But surely everybody says there is no risk here so why is it necessary?

Anyway, doubt if it will have any effect, most travelers will have already booked their holidays for this year and until the political situation changes don't see too many adding Thailand to their list for the coming year(s) either.

if there was a big risk you could'nt buy insurance to cover it

its availible because there is no or at least a very small risk,

insurance companies are in busniss to make money

Well since almost all of us foreigners are on non-immigrant visas, (ie not resident here), then the annual insurance for 12,000 baht seems a very good deal.

This plan gives 10 million baht coverage for 'travel assistance service'. I wonder what that is (where are the T&Cs for this policy?)

Policy terms:

»Cover up to 60 days any one trip both in individual trip cover plan and annual cover plan.«

sad.png

To be sure, the medical coverage is not traditional health insurance. It doesn't cover wellness visits or exams. It doesn't cover chronic or pre-existing conditions. And it excludes injuries arising while intoxicated or from a range of activities such as scuba diving, bungee jumping, jet skiing, participating in a brawl, etc.

Also only available to those under 70 years old.

Well, the 60 day coverage limit is an issue that's particular to so-called travel insurance policies.

But other than that, most of the other details you recount are pretty common with regular Thai company issued medical/health insurance policies.

Most Thai medical insurance policies that I've reviewed exclude pre-existing conditions, don't cover wellness exams, exclude dangerous activity injuries, and even episodes while intoxicated. And likewise, many of them will only write new policies up to some certain age, and also will only continue coverage up through some certain age -- though there are a few that will do lifetime -- if you can afford the premiums.

When I saw the mention of covering gaps, I wondered if this was just supplemental insurance. However, it does not look as though there is any requirement to have already bought travel insurance, although if you have there is a condition that you must claim on that policy first.

It looks like this particular offering is NOT requiring its policy holders to have any other separate insurance.

But if the policyholder does have other insurance that provides coverage, they'd have to claim against that first... And this policy, if applicable, would cover any leftover amounts, up to its limits.

On the other hand, if someone had NO other applicable insurance, then it appears that this policy would provide primary coverage -- subject of course to its limits and exclusions.

This could be a good option for those doing lots of trips here of less than 60 days, 12,000 for the plan 2 for 1 year is good compared to what is offered as cheap health insurance here

Well it certainly looks like a money maker.

Such threats include riots, terrorism and political turmoil

Going all the way back to when Thaksin was a legal PM how many people would be affected by these things. I suppose if you were in the nanny west there would be a lot claiming for feeling nervous and suing for emotional turmoil. But that won't float here in Thailand.

It's kind of curious to me that none of the Thai insurers that I think of as being the major players in health insurance for expats/foreigners -- BUPA, AXA, LMG, etc. -- are involved in this offering.

I also notice that the policy's claim form is NINE pages long, and includes a two-page medical certificate portion to be filled out by the treating doctor.

It also looks like the submission of regular, non-emergency claims has to be done by mail. Along with providing things like originals or certified copies of airline tickets and/or boarding passes, departure and return dates, and even if you have filed any prior travel insurance claims.

Do read the link http://www.tourismthailand.org/ThailandTravelShield/ It says that accident and illnesses are covered for hospitalization. I think it's just a large summary sheet, not a T&C page, but there's a lot of good info.

Very informative but suspect also.

I copied this part.

Medical and Travel Assistance Services
  • Pre-trip information such as inoculation, weather, exchange rate.
  • Telephone medical advice
    • Lost of luggage/passport assistance
    • Embassy referral
  • ~
  • Emergency medical evacuation/repatriation and/or repatriation of mortal remains
  • Guarantee of medical expenses incurred during hospitalization
  • Embassy referral

*Service provided by Allianz Global Assistance (AGA)

Allianz Global Assistance (Tel. +66 2 342 3255)

Not sure which of these is not covered on a regular insurance plan

• Pre-trip information such as inoculation, weather, exchange rate.
  • Are they going to pay for your pre trip inoculations?
  • If you lose money on the exchange rate will they make it up to you?
  • Or if you make money on the rate do you have to give it to them?
  • Embassy referral
  • Embassy referral
  • Those are free any how
  • Emergency medical evacuation/repatriation and/or repatriation of mortal remains
  • Guarantee of medical expenses incurred during hospitalization

Now those could save you a lot of money but some how I think they would expect you to have medical insurance any how. Sounds pretty iffy to me.

Maybe not shipping the body back.

1 year insurance coverage for tourists? Maybe they need to speak to immigration and decide on a common meaning for "tourist" and confirm how long a "tourist" can stay.

clap2.gifgiggle.gif it was a good one !!!!

"Tourist" ....or maybe name him ; sucker who are scared ,confused this days just trying to love their land and people.

I think they should advertise insurance on things can happen to "suker" on overstaying or other near criminal act as being married to Thai woman for 15 years...

This kind of insurance will be more interestinggiggle.gif

Edited by gigman

This could be a good option for those doing lots of trips here of less than 60 days, 12,000 for the plan 2 for 1 year is good compared to what is offered as cheap health insurance here

Need to examine the conditions and exclusions, what it pays and how it pays and for how

long before any one can say whether it's a good thing or a shonk...

For foreigners living in Thailand but not having legal Thai residence nor citizenship.....

Sounds like a good deal for foreigners living here because.............

Insurance appears to cover illness as well as accident and some coverage for your personal belongings.

Upper limit is AGE 70, too bad.

Will need to exit and return to Thailand because insurance starts on entry date.

I would sign up except I am soon 71, drat !

For foreigners living in Thailand but not having legal Thai residence nor citizenship.....

Sounds like a good deal for foreigners living here because.............

Insurance appears to cover illness as well as accident and some coverage for your personal belongings.

Upper limit is AGE 70, too bad.

Will need to exit and return to Thailand because insurance starts on entry date.

I would sign up except I am soon 71, drat !

I wish people would read before posting, it has been mentioned a number of times through this thread it only covers trips up to 60 days - read below

http://www.tourismthailand.org/ThailandTravelShield/

Insurance Conditions
  • 24-hours coverage during the trip
  • Person age between 1-70 years is insurable
  • No medical examination required
  • The choice of individual trip cover plan or annual cover plan is yours.
  • Cover up to 60 days any one trip both in individual trip cover plan and annual cover plan.

Here is the coverage, and the premium. 3150 baht for a 60 day trip is decent, and the coverage is not bad. Kudos to them for coming up with something like this. A lot of people are avoiding Thailand since their insurance will not cover a land under military control.

1. Loss of life, dismemberment (hand, foot), loss of sight or total permanent disability during the trip from accident

Maximum 1,000,000

Maximum 2,000,000

2. Medical expenses from accident and sickness

Actual cost but not exceed 1,000,000

Actual cost but not exceed 2,000,000

3. Trip Cancellation

Actual cost but not exceed 15,000

Actual cost but not exceed 30,000

4. Trip Curtailment

Actual cost but not exceed 30,000

5. Hijacking (2,000 Baht for each 12 hours)

Maximum 20,000

Maximum 40,000

6. Travel delay (more than 6 hours)

3,000 per day Maximum 12,000

6,000 per day Maximum 18,000

7. Loss or damage of baggage and personal belonging

Actual cost but not exceed 12,500

Actual cost but not exceed 25,000

8. Baggage Delay

Actual cost but not exceed 7,500

9. Personal liability

Actual cost but not exceed 750,000

Actual cost but not exceed 1,500,000

10. Travel assistance service*

Maximum 10,000,000

Maximum 10,000,000

^ TOP PREMIUM TABLE

Period of Insurance

Premium (Baht)

Plan 1

Plan 2

1-7 days

8-14 days

15-30 days

31-60 days

Annual Trip

I guess this will be a total disaster. Thailand is a dangerous place. Many friends of me who came here had accidents and problems with motorbike and jet ski rentals.

If this really turns to a big thing we will probably hear soon news about a price increase or lower benefits.

Travel insurance does not pay out to long-term residents so if you are living in Thailand on a non-imm visa or extension of stay just forget it.

Interesting that they cover trip cancellation yet the insurance cover doesn't start until you have passed immigration to enter Thailand.

Without reading the full policy I can't comment further.

As for annual insurance, you can probably find this cheaper in your own country and it covers you for any country.

Please remember that despite popular belief, coverage is not negated under the majority of travel policies just because Thailand is under military rule unless the claim is as a direct result of such.

It doens't seem so cheap to me. I checked the italian companies (since I'm italian). I found one 60 days 78 euros with about the same conditions (only healthcare), but 1,000,000 euro limit. And in addition it pays directly to hospital without having to pay in advance and send claim.

Frankly I don't see any convenience.

After reading thru this thread and skimming the exklusions quoted upthread in post #55, as a replacement for unrest not covered in a home country insurance, this Thai tourist insurance misses one point: the person who accidentially gets run over by a flash mob of protesters, or suddenly sees themselves locked in between the front of protesters and police.

How I read the exklusion list, many potential injuries sustained in such a scenario are not covered.

This is the kind of coverage a tourist would expect when being lured to a country with possible public unrest.

And as noted by others, there ought to be a 90day option to coincide with maximum tourist visa terms.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by RTH10260

Travel insurance does not pay out to long-term residents so if you are living in Thailand on a non-imm visa or extension of stay just forget it.

Interesting that they cover trip cancellation yet the insurance cover doesn't start until you have passed immigration to enter Thailand.

Without reading the full policy I can't comment further.

As for annual insurance, you can probably find this cheaper in your own country and it covers you for any country.

Please remember that despite popular belief, coverage is not negated under the majority of travel policies just because Thailand is under military rule unless the claim is as a direct result of such.

For trip cancellation this may cover costas for bookings within Thailand, the amounts are too small to cover international flight tickets. But usually a travel insurance at home will cover a cancellation due to civil unrest at the destination.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I just tried to purchase online. It says one can purchase an annual policy. However, when i put in an annual period, i get a box which says that the limit is 90 days. As I have a retirement visa coming up, i am puzzled as to what to do. I could take the 90 day plan. However does anyone know whether one can purchase an extension for one year more?

Furthermore, there is on the one site a limitation of age 70. Anyone know more?

Call or email the Allianz support number/address listed on the webpage.. Supposedly, this being a plan aimed at tourists, they ought to be able to speak English.

The website plainly talked about there being an annual plan available, although, apparently with coverage limited to 60 days per trip/entry into Thailand. Not sure where the 90 days notion is coming from.

When I tried their website just now, it took me to a Muang Thai Insurance website, and I was able to select the annual plan and get the pricing...and got as far as entering my personal info without anything about a 90 days limit... I didn't go further... Here's what I saw.

post-58284-0-62442000-1406427449_thumb.j post-58284-0-38968600-1406427451_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I too have concerns re the various limitations of this policy.

However, it still could have some value for a long-term resident who, for their own reasons, already happens to be traveling outside of Thailand and back in within the 60 day windows of the policy.

Interestingly, I saw the policy info talking about air tickets and boarding passes, but nothing about potential land border entries/crossings. So I guess this coverage also isn't meant for anyone coming in from any of the land bordering countries to Thailand like Malaysia...

Yes, but does it cover health insurance? It would definitely be worth a look, if it did. If it doesn't, it seems pretty expensive for things that are pretty low risk.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Read the website given - duh!!!