‘No cause for alarm’ after man killed by flesh-eating bug

Lite Beer

I was recently in hospital in Darwin and in the same ward were two Aborigines from the islands with flesh eating disease. The worst was a 23cm x 23cm infection on his back that the hospital had already tried to treat with skin grafts from his thigh. All five of the skin grafts had failed. He had a large plastic patch covering the wound connected to a low pressure suction device that sucked the rotting flesh into a capture receptacle. The prognosis for this chap was not good.

Most Australian Aboriginals suffer from Staphylococcus which left untreated can results in severe infections and even necrosis.

As for eating fish in Thailand, do so at your own risk, they come from some of the most unhealthy waterways in the World.

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

A friend of mine was affected with "necrotising fasciitis", April 2012.

He was treated in the Veterans Hospital and fortunately managed to fully recover in about six months.

Here' a picture of his foot where you can see bones and sinew.

Bill_H_2012-07-28-14.55.jpg

This foot could be from a Predator movie, alarming is a formal way to describe it.

I think the white long structure is an extensor tendon. perhaps on laterally a bit of bone can be seen

Edited by atyclb

That last picture was necessary? I was just out to be my Bacon and Sausage Breakfast !facepalm.gif

Then watch your feet next time.......

I'll be watching them...for sure.

One more think...do not watch them in the toilet, as a previous thread suggested ! Might make things worse.

(watch/wash...ok)

I will just let my wife deal with any fish that get cooked around here.

Good question there, what temperature and how long does it take to kill this bacteria. If it is in one fish it is in more.

The bacteria needs to get into your skin via an abrasion or other small injury.

Then remain untreated, a dab of Betadine on the injury at the start and it's gone.

You don't need to kill the bacteria in the fish, it is harmless when eaten.

Many bacteria like this can live for years in your nasal passage without doing any harm.

Which is one of the reasons it is so hard to eradicate in hospitals.

Half the staff are carriers, and it only becomes a problem when transferred to an open wound.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Like all fresh, uncooked food, fish carry bacteria of many kinds, but eating them is safe as long as the fish is well cooked

Sashimi, anyone?

Sashimi no problem.

Tilapia is fresh water fish and They normally don't make sashimi with fresh water fish in Japan.

I will just let my wife deal with any fish that get cooked around here.

Good question there, what temperature and how long does it take to kill this bacteria. If it is in one fish it is in more.

The bacteria needs to get into your skin via an abrasion or other small injury.

Then remain untreated, a dab of Betadine on the injury at the start and it's gone.

You don't need to kill the bacteria in the fish, it is harmless when eaten.

Many bacteria like this can live for years in your nasal passage without doing any harm.

Which is one of the reasons it is so hard to eradicate in hospitals.

Half the staff are carriers, and it only becomes a problem when transferred to an open wound.

I knew there was a reason to stay away from hospitals...particularly if you're sick!