Tollway Question

Dakling

I just got done the other day by a cop on the tollway. He told me that pick-up trucks (I have a 4 door Navara), must stay in the 2 leftmost lanes and can not exceed 85km/hr on the tollway. I have never heard this before and generally assume that my pick-up is regarded as 4 wheel light passenger vehicle the same as any car as far as rules of the road go. I had nothing in the back of the truck as well, the bed was completely empty.

So was the cop trying to pull one over on me or are the rules different for pick-ups/utes?

Did you ask for and recieve a receipt for the fine

Sounds like rip of the farang to me,i or my Thai wife will not pay unless they give you a official receipt

A corrupt police officer will just let you go, not that there are any corrupt police officers around whistling.gif

Edited by nedkellylives

As far as I'm aware I think pickups must use the left side lane, and can use the second left lane for overtaking, I know most ignore this myself included,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My wife got done on the 304 a couple of years back in a car for being in the right hand lane for too long. This was by a policeman parked at the side of the road, obviously a judgemental decision.

She also got picked up on the tollway by a speed camera about 9 months ago, forgotten what the speed was now but by coincidence that was also in a 4 door Navara. Her brother has friends in the police and normally gets her out of police tickets but failed with the speed camera, 500 baht.

Most of the tollways have illuminated speed limits usually set at 90 but I do not know what for, nobody appears to pay any attention.

Or a cargo net I believe. A friend of mine was pulled in Hua Hin for having shopping in the back of the pick up but no net. He did point out the passing pick ups with a whole family in the back, but that fell on deaf ears.giggle.gif

• Like 2

My own record is 14 in the bed and 7 in the cab of a 2 door Navara.  The ones in the back slotted in nicely shoulder to shoulder.

I had two in a bed with me many times, but the wife has put a stop to all that nowbah.gifsad.png

• Like 2

Or a cargo net I believe. A friend of mine was pulled in Hua Hin for having shopping in the back of the pick up but no net. He did point out the passing pick ups with a whole family in the back, but that fell on deaf ears.giggle.gif

I thought that requirement was exclusively for tollways?

If it is the law he probably only learnt it in the last month.

they have been pulling the stayed in the outside lane too long a lot in the last year or so ive heard from many people. Sometimes annoying but when the inside 3 lanes of motorway were empty for miles on tbe way back to chonburi i had a lovely drive. 3 lanes to myself.

As far as I'm aware I think pickups must use the left side lane, and can use the second left lane for overtaking, I know most ignore this myself included,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think the rule of the road is drive on the left except when passing, so guys /gals driving for long distances in the right lane, if not passing, are targets of opportunity. 

BTW Speed limit in town is 80, elevated I think outside Bangkok is posted at 110, ground-level motorway, outside Bangkok 120, except for the bumpy bit where it drops to 90. Not that anyone would really notice!

Edited by VocalNeal

I would have told him to look at the plates - black - passenger vehicle - green not - he is confused - go back to booth and ask mates - come back - with another answer - rebutt - yes but it's saturday - those rules don't apply on saturday - only mon to friday 9 am to 6pm.

Failing that, I would ask him to show me the law where it states this - then I will call my lawyer to come out -  could take awhile....

• Like 1

I actually got out of the ticket thanks to my wife arguing at length with the cops. I guess I should have titled the OP "almost got done by the cops..." I still have no idea what the real rules for the tollway are though. There will be a fixed sign saying 120 km/hr directly below a flashing LED sign that says 90 km/hr. Very frustrating.

I wish there was a more clearly defined list of rules but then again they seem to make them up on the spot. I remember once being stopped for 10 minutes by a cop in Burriram who asked to see my licence, tax sticker, passport, and even the blue book, and then clearly pissed off that I had everything demanded 200 baht. I asked what for and he said "you go too fast" which was utter bullshit as I wasn't speeding and he had no radar equipment anyway.

I have also been done on the 304 for being in the right lane. There is a stretch of road where the left lane is pounded out and they keep a guy off to the side of the road radioing plate numbers of the people who avoid the broken pavement by going into the right hand lane. Over the next hill they pull you over and give you a ticket. Trying to argue about the road condition is futile because that's why they are there in the first place.

I also used to get done on my motorbike on Vipavadi going past Don Muang. There was a buss stop there and the cops waited on the other side. If you stayed in the left lane they would say you drove through the bus stop and give you a ticket. If you went over into the second lane to avoid the buss stop they would do you for not being in the left lane.

Getting done on the Tollway is a real bitch though because the fine is often 1,000 baht instead of the normal 200 baht cash grab.

Anyone have the low down on this 'law'? 

Does it really exist or just a moment of shakedown brilliance?

I can see the logic of having big trucks full of pineapples that do 70 on the expressway but to say to passenger truck drivers you must stay left at all times because (insert answer here) makes no sense.

Any of the trucks made in this century can easily keep up with traffic in the right hand lane - even with those lil yaris bobs with their low profile tyres and noisy exhausts that are super duper fast.

Personally I think someone got p offed at farmer joe blocking him by doing  the speed limit as he tried to do 160 in his Merc to Hua Hin and called in a favour. 

Got pulled on Dong Mueng Tollway last Friday. Was warned by on coming cars of speed trap usual place at DM exit.

Set my cruise control to 89 & stayed in left hand lane. Paid my toll & was on my way when they noticed I was a Farang so pulled me over.

Not giving him a chance to speak first I asked in Thai why I was stopped & that I had set my speed control to 89Km so there was no chance of speeding. Told him if he wanted to check my passport, Drivers Licence etc he was welcome to do so.

He just said oh you speak Thai and said thank you goodbye. No explanation why I was stopped.

I have lost count how many times I have stopped at this speed trap.

No one was speeding so they obviously needed to try & get their tea money by other means.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Set my cruise control to 89 

Not giving him a chance to speak first I asked in Thai why I was stopped & that I had set my speed control to 89Km so there was no chance of speeding. 

No one was speeding so they obviously needed to try & get their tea money by other means.

Question. Isn't the speed limit in Bangkok 80? So by setting your cruise control to 89! Just asking.

Any "traps" I have found are usually always in the same place so... Edited by VocalNeal

Anyone have the low down on this 'law'? 

Does it really exist or just a moment of shakedown brilliance?

I can see the logic of having big trucks full of pineapples that do 70 on the expressway but to say to passenger truck drivers you must stay left at all times because (insert answer here) makes no sense.

Any of the trucks made in this century can easily keep up with traffic in the right hand lane - even with those lil yaris bobs with their low profile tyres and noisy exhausts that are super duper fast.

Personally I think someone got p offed at farmer joe blocking him by doing  the speed limit as he tried to do 160 in his Merc to Hua Hin and called in a favour. 

Same goes for the bikes that could easily do fast speeds they also have to stay left so that argument does not hold in Thailand. I have heard about this law for trucks before its crazy just like the bike law but a good earner for cops.

Then you got the general stay in the left if left is free.. but that is the same all over the world.

Set my cruise control to 89 

Not giving him a chance to speak first I asked in Thai why I was stopped & that I had set my speed control to 89Km so there was no chance of speeding. 

Question. Isn't the speed limit in Bangkok 80? So by setting your cruise control to 89! Just asking.

Any "traps" I have found are usually always in the same place so...

Got pulled on Dong Mueng Tollway last Friday. Was warned by on coming cars of speed trap usual place at DM exit.

Set my cruise control to 89 & stayed in left hand lane. Paid my toll & was on my way when they noticed I was a Farang so pulled me over.

Not giving him a chance to speak first I asked in Thai why I was stopped & that I had set my speed control to 89Km so there was no chance of speeding. Told him if he wanted to check my passport, Drivers Licence etc he was welcome to do so.

He just said oh you speak Thai and said thank you goodbye. No explanation why I was stopped.

I have lost count how many times I have stopped at this speed trap.

The exact same thing happened to me on the Elevated Expressway as you leave Bangkok. A motorcycle cop with a radar gun sits about 1.5 km away from the big toll booth (around Central). Cars will usually flash their lights as they go in the opposite direction.

Having seen him there in the past, I moved to the first lane and set the cruise control for 81 km (80 km is always flashing) and even took a photo of the speedometer. Other cars were FLYING past me like I was standing still.

I have really tinted windows so I waited until I got up to the toll booth window before I lowered my window to get my ticket. As soon as the cop saw I was Farang he waved me over. He said I was going 119 km. I told him I set my cruise for 81 and I showed him the photo. He asked where I was going, my job, etc. He then says....."I'll let you go this time."

Unbelievable.