Do you wear motorbike protection and does it really help?

With a textile jacket it's not so hot. With a perforated jacket the wind blows through it keeping you cool. They have protection in the right places incase of a fall. Not perfect by any means but better than nothing. I wear this one.

attachicon.gifFJT180_1850UF_300RGB08.jpg

+1 I bought a similar jacket and I'm really comfortable- when the bike is moving :)

But even sitting at a red light, in the full sun, wearing shorts and a tee shirt  would be hot as well. I'll take the extra protection :)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appreciate your view. It is the most sensible and common. My views are in the minority, and have been since the safety-eighties. But it is my view and lifestyle choice.
 Death is certain, life is not.

I understand what you're saying and that's a cool catch-phrase, but it's not death I'm worried about (not that I particularly welcome it)- I'm more concerned with being physically incapacitated (as the vast majority of bike accidents end in injuries rather than fatalities), and- as I certainly won't give up riding fast bikes- I do what I can to reduce the risk (while knowing there's no way I can eliminate it completely).
  • Like 1

i just wonder if I should bring my helmet from europe and stop using thos cheap 100 bth helmets in Thailand, but it is such a hassle to drag the helmet on airplane and stuff.....

You can get decent helmets here - many have European approvals.  For lower speed commuting you can also get some locally made polycarbonate helmets that will be better than the cheap buckets you can get from the supermarkets.

In the past I've brought a helmet from the UK as hand luggage - airport security had a debate about if I was allowed to bring it through as hand luggage but decided it was OK - but the heat made the plastic side pods go 'sticky' after 2 years in the tropics.  I'm not sure if helmets bought here have different plastics to cope with the higher temperatures (a bit like Kit Kats sold here - they have a higher melting point)?

The purpose of the helmet is not only to protect your skull from cracking open when hitting anything at speeds as low as 60km/h, but to prevent the neck, face and being knocked out unconscious on the middle of the road waiting for another car come over you.

Gloves... ALWAYS wear gloves, the hands are the first to land on the floor.

Wear Leather Boots, at least with steal caps. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/740726-why-you-should-wear-leather-boots/

A week ago, I just hit a guy on his bike that cut in front of me out of nowhere without looking for incoming vehicles, he came out in front of a bus, very reckless. 

I hit him with my front fork to the end of his exhaust, barely a scratch on my bike (CB500F) but his old wave jumped maybe a couple meters and he landed on his hands on the middle of the road with many incoming cars!

Managed to brake hard, from 60Km/h to 30Km/h in less than 2 meters, but not enough to prevent it, I tires were really cold, I had just left home to work.

His both hands were so badly hurt and bruised... luckly he was not hit by a car, or he could have been dead, since he had one of those 300 baht plastic crap on his head.

so, a really small incident, at very low speeds, still can get really hurt, had he been wearing any cheap 500 baht gloves (cheaper than his whisky bottle on the weekend)  his hands would have been fine. 

I gave him 1000 baht note and I told, take this and buy a set of gloves. my GF said I should not give him, but I felt guilty about the poor ignorant.

Learned that on my first crash - brand new D-Tracker, too fast around the village, bike with sidecar parked in the middle of the road after a bend. I braked hard, lost my front wheel, and came to a sliding halt just centimeters from the guy - sliding on my hands. Ouch!!!!! I've worn gloves ever since. Always smile.png

For your accident I know sometimes these guys jumping out from behind somewhere are impossible to avoid but you do have to consider you are to blame in part too - because you know people are crazy and jump out from behind parked / slow moving vehicles - so if you can't see around the vehicle you can't pass it closely, or only at a very low speed differential.

I hit such a guy too once, t-boned a scooter coming out between parked traffic - only my front tire impacted, didn't fall, he didn't fall, and by the time I had prevented my bike from falling over he had taken off. Since then I am very careful passing parked or slow traffic, especially if it's a van or another high car I can't see over. Blame all you want, of course these guys are stupid coming out without looking but this is the reality of traffic here and you need to adjust to it. 

It is your duty in traffic to make up for the mistakes of others, as much as you can. If everyone didn't do that, we'd all be dead, and nobody would be getting anywhere as everyone makes mistakes at times and relies on other traffic participants to compensate.

When you get on a bike, take responsibility. 

nikster, I do totally agree with you that.

The accident that day I was looking in the mirror and I missed the chance to predict that possibly a bike could come out without notice in front of me... but Im aware of it since a long time.

definitely was my fault and mistake to trust nobody would come from blind spot. I have avoided dozens of similar events... it's very common here. everyone drive like a lunatic.

that's why I gave the guy 1000 baht for his injuries, even thou his 10 year old bike had just a plastic scratch. I felt guilty for not making up for other mistakes... on the road you have to forgive, it is the most dificult thing to do.

• Like 1

Used to wear all the leathers including boots/gauntets back in good ole uk, why bc need protection if your risking speeds of ton plus didnt  mind if i got a ticket with speeding but safety and keeping out of hospital if  you happen to have a run in with a idiot motorist btw i have both licences and have respect for bikers knowing what it's like when you have to think for the other drivers for the sake of not ending up on the tarmac.

But here no protection but go out of my way to keep clear of others.

"Idiot motorists"? What about the idiot biker who "didn't mind if (he) got a ticket for speeding"?

It really depends on the situation and your experience in riding.

The best safety is still the goal to not be in an accident in the first place. Over the years I've become more and more proactive in detecting any accident prone situations and preventing it. Of course, we'll still see those idiots who risk their luck where everyone nods disapprovingly.

Boots = Must have

Knee guards= The types that you can just fit on and tape on easily. Jeans are useless trust me, that's just an excuse. The pavement tears right through the jeans and you'll have a large hole in your skin bleeding nonstop. Been there, done that.

Jacket= Get the ones where the air can go through easily. Because the main point isn't for it to be water proof or to be sealed completely. The main point is the arm, your back spine, and the shoulder neck area. There are jackets which cushion and protect these areas, while leaving the other areas as breathable air areas.

Full face helmet = Always

Gloves = Always, with Kevlar or carbon fiber protection. Don't go cheap on this, it's more important than you think. My last gloves show little damage, but my hands were burned and ripped. The abrasion and the heat is the main concern, not the impact.

As always, ride safe, nobody thinks your a hero on a sportbike, only you do. Be aware of other's mistakes, always yield. Stay humble in the presence of traffic, let your beast out when there is no one else.

• Like 1

The best safety is still the goal to not be in an accident in the first place. Over the years I've become more and more proactive in detecting any accident prone situations and preventing it. Of course, we'll still see those idiots who risk their luck where everyone nods disapprovingly.

Boots = Must have

Knee guards= The types that you can just fit on and tape on easily. Jeans are useless trust me, that's just an excuse. The pavement tears right through the jeans and you'll have a large hole in your skin bleeding nonstop. Been there, done that.

Jacket= Get the ones where the air can go through easily. Because the main point isn't for it to be water proof or to be sealed completely. The main point is the arm, your back spine, and the shoulder neck area. There are jackets which cushion and protect these areas, while leaving the other areas as breathable air areas.

Gloves = Always, with Kevlar or carbon fiber protection. Don't go cheap on this, it's more important than you think. My last gloves show little damage, but my hands were burned and ripped. The abrasion and the heat is the main concern, not the impact.

As always, ride safe, nobody thinks your a hero on a sportbike, only you do. Be aware of other's mistakes, always yield. Stay humble in the presence of traffic, let your beast out when there is no one else.

there is no such a thing as "depends on situation and/or experience" if it comes to wearing motorcycle gear or not.

there is no such things as "i can feel an accident" too. it is plain over confidence to say that.

you can be the best defensive rider still you cannot guarantee another vehicle come and rear end you for example or you lose the front due to an hard to detect oil spill on the road, right?

this is i believe a positive thread by the way. farang here has some awareness now over the years regarding wearing protective mocyc gear which is a good thing.

Edited by ll2

Boots = Must have

there is no such a thing as "depends on situation and/or experience" if it comes to wearing motorcycle gear or not.

there is no such things as "i can feel an accident" too. it is plain over confidence to say that.

you can be the best defensive rider still you cannot guarantee another vehicle come and rear end you for example or you lose the front due to an hard to detect oil spill on the road, right?

this is i believe a positive thread by the way. farang here has some awareness now over the years regarding wearing protective mocyc gear which is a good thing.

Your lack of judgment and ignorance will be your downfall.

Motorcycling protection is as it is, a protection. The main objective is to minimize accidents in the first place. Over the years, we learn regardless of our age, every day has provided an opportunity for us to learn how to prevent such mistakes. You may be fully geared up but ride like an idiot, you still get a thumbs down from me.

Situation and experience stands at the forefront of safety. The ability to have experience such experiences enables you to prevent it from ever occurring again. Out of 100 bikers, I would say "what an idiot" to over 90, on the way they ride, their speed, where they park and so on. So your lack of sight of seeing this as important is your own loss. Keep your advices for yourself, hope your still alive next time someone sees you.

Even if you are the best defensive rider with the best defensive gear, and a vehicle comes to rear end you, your still dead. Your lack of knowledge and common sense amazes me. Always, always check the rear mirror, and keep in gear. Always know your surroundings. When parking at the red light or so, look for a pole or a strong wall, and be in a defensive position. In simpler words, I don't give opportunities for accidents to happen. Been there, seen it, done it.

Oil spill, it's your duty to detect oil spills. Even more so in the rain. Every single rock, every single sand, the angle of the roads, the pavements, it's a required check. Not a luxury. That's the level you should be in if you are not. Stop making excuses and start upping your strategy in riding.

Much to learn boy. Try to shoot at experienced riders? Your a laughing joke. Get knowledge, don't be too cocky and start attacking other's real advices.

Gears = Reduce severity of accidents.

Experience and knowledge with defensive strategy riding = reduction of accidents

Ride safe everyone.

Boots = Must have

Motorcycling protection is as it is, a protection. The main objective is to minimize accidents in the first place. Over the years, we learn regardless of our age, every day has provided an opportunity for us to learn how to prevent such mistakes. You may be fully geared up but ride like an idiot, you still get a thumbs down from me.

Situation and experience stands at the forefront of safety. The ability to have experience such experiences enables you to prevent it from ever occurring again. Out of 100 bikers, I would say "what an idiot" to over 90, on the way they ride, their speed, where they park and so on. So your lack of sight of seeing this as important is your own loss. Keep your advices for yourself, hope your still alive next time someone sees you.

Even if you are the best defensive rider with the best defensive gear, and a vehicle comes to rear end you, your still dead. Your lack of knowledge and common sense amazes me. Always, always check the rear mirror, and keep in gear. Always know your surroundings. When parking at the red light or so, look for a pole or a strong wall, and be in a defensive position. In simpler words, I don't give opportunities for accidents to happen. Been there, seen it, done it.

Oil spill, it's your duty to detect oil spills. Even more so in the rain. Every single rock, every single sand, the angle of the roads, the pavements, it's a required check. Not a luxury. That's the level you should be in if you are not. Stop making excuses and start upping your strategy in riding.

Much to learn boy. Try to shoot at experienced riders? Your a laughing joke. Get knowledge, don't be too cocky and start attacking other's real advices.

Experience and knowledge with defensive strategy riding = reduction of accidents

Ride safe everyone.

wow.

experienced rider? first of all, a proper rider with years of riding experience under the belt never speaks about other riders death, not even as a joke!

and no, you dont sound like one, not mentally at least. you just sound like the best rider on earth with a high ego and superhero skills that can detect an oil spill or a big hole under water with your x ray eyes and with your telepathy skills, you can detect a texting driver on your back or a drunk one on the next lane while looking at your mirrors! anyway, it is mostly too late when you look at your mirrors my friendlaugh.png

my judgement and ignorance will be my downfall? no, bc i wear my gear all the time as although someone riding bikes for 25+ years at the age 36 on many places on earth. 

i learned not to trust my defensive riding or my mirrors! even though i have experience on bikes and good defensive riding skills as someone residing on some of the most populated cities with the worst traffic with an aim of not killing myself and zero accidents 100%. of course defensive riding or situational awareness reduces accidents but not to the level of zero. so good advise here should be protective gear first then defensive riding not defensive riding first then protective gear.

did my experience make me invincible? maybe yes, but i always sit on my bike with gear while thinking no.

yeah, i recommend you even not wearing any gear as you sound like a superhero anyway!

change your riding philosophy my friend as this might be your downfall.

and how did you decide the fact that i was attacking you? funny! 

• Like 1

Boots = Must have

Ride safe everyone.

wow.

experienced rider? first of all, a proper rider with years of riding experience under the belt never speaks about other riders death, not even as a joke!

and no, you dont sound like one, not mentally at least. you just sound like the best rider on earth with a high ego and superhero skills that can detect an oil spill or a big hole under water with your x ray eyes and with your telepathy skills, you can detect a texting driver on your back or a drunk one on the next lane while looking at your mirrors! anyway, it is mostly too late when you look at your mirrors my friendlaugh.png

my judgement and ignorance will be my downfall? no, bc i wear my gear all the time as although someone riding bikes for 25+ years at the age 36 on many places on earth. 

i learned not to trust my defensive riding or my mirrors! even though i have experience on bikes and good defensive riding skills as someone residing on some of the most populated cities with the worst traffic with an aim of not killing myself and zero accidents 100%. of course defensive riding or situational awareness reduces accidents but not to the level of zero. so good advise here should be protective gear first then defensive riding not defensive riding first then protective gear.

did my experience make me invincible? maybe yes, but i always sit on my bike with gear while thinking no.

yeah, i recommend you even not wearing any gear as you sound like a superhero anyway!

Wrong.

I've many mates dead, part of the bcsportbikes group. Death is very common in our regular conversations, there is nothing taboo about it. This is reality, wake up if you haven't.

Yes, I have all those skills you mentioned of detecting such obstacles. Even staring at the car's internal rear mirror to see what the driver is looking at, where his eyesight is on. This is all basic. The mirror is one of my most useful tools. Your loss if you like to joke about this things. We take it very seriously.

I am not here to compare with you, and from the way you write, you aren't even comparable, far from it.

#1 Investment = Experience to avoid accidents by defensive riding strategy with prevention

#2 Back up net = Safety gear to reduce the severity of the accident if it does happen.

Seems common sense not that common for this guy. The reason #1 is defensive riding is. An idiot (the poster quoting me) keeps stipulating that defensive gear is first. It fails as it is obvious, you take a newly inexperience rider, or even an experienced rider who doesn't invest in improving his riding skills, with the BEST protective FULL gear, and he goes out. He dies. Then you take an experienced rider with defensive strategy skills with absolutely no gear at all, no helmet. He does all the usual checks, even if he crosses the green light intersection, he slows to 30km/h to check for trespassing red light cars/ambulances/etc, while he slows he also checks back if there are any cars behind him. This is all just basic, I can't list them all here, it's for you to learn through years of experience. But that guy will survive than the idiot with full gear.

Nobody needs your recommendations. Your a joke. I'm pro defensive riding strategy and pro safety equipment. No idea where you get the idea otherwise. My posts are not edited.

I don't. Usually I do the attacking. Just not a prey person.

P.S. I've more miles, years, and countries, than you with regards to your proposed self introduced "self egoist" experience on riding bikes.

Next time don't assume. Every single word of mine stands. I will not allow riders to have bad information from people like you. Safety is a priority and taken very seriously.

• Like 1

Used to wear all the leathers including boots/gauntets back in good ole uk, why bc need protection if your risking speeds of ton plus didnt  mind if i got a ticket with speeding but safety and keeping out of hospital if  you happen to have a run in with a idiot motorist btw i have both licences and have respect for bikers knowing what it's like when you have to think for the other drivers for the sake of not ending up on the tarmac.

But here no protection but go out of my way to keep clear of others.

+1 an honest reply...

UK any bike - full gear, no comprmise,

Thailand big bike -full face helmet gloves, jeans and boots, minimum

Thailand Ped - anything I am wearing at time (nearly always shorts, T or wife beater and flip flops did not use to bother with gloves and at night no helmet,

after an accident three months back where I happen to have jeans and shoes on, I now always wear summer Alpine Star gloves (bought in UK £30) and always an helmet This was the resulting abrasive injuries and friGGing pain sustained, although pain was mainly from Rib injuries, my face and hands suffered some bad gravel rash, was really tender for a few weeks for sure, so gloves always now.

I have never seen anyone in full gear on a scooter in Thailand bar on a race track, so some posters saying they always wear all the gear on a scooter? Think you be telling little porkies there a bit.... Never?

Anyone who doesn't wear a full face helmet and appropriate gear is mentally retarded or soon will be.

I survived a head on collision with a pick up at close to 200 Kph. Virtually without a scratch and just some bruises.

However I was wearing about 100k baht of gear. The longer you get away with not wearing gear the slimmer your chances become.

• Like 1

But your pads will indeed offer some protection in that scenario- this has been proven many times by riders who have had some pretty major accidents in full gear and have walked (or at least limped) away- I've seen it happen. No argument there are forces that can't be ameliorated and you may still be physically destroyed or killed regardless of gear, but every force can be lessened to some degree by dispersing it over a larger area. There are sprains, there are breaks, and there are compound fractures- I know which one I'd rather have if forced to choose, and by wearing the highest level of gear, I may actually be making that choice. Why not give yourself every possible chance? There are no guarantees, but there are smart choices.

There's a difference between defeating physics and using physics to your advantage, which is what CE-rated pads do.

If you're going to wear gear at all, why not choose the best there is? I don't mean a full suit or neck brace on the street, but something like Forcefield brand pads are at the top of the food chain for the street rider, yet few riders even bother with a basic back pad insert.

Sure, you need to ride smart, but you need to prepare for the time when that's not enough. Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

yeah, you are an incomparable pro defensive rider with superhuman skills and pro equipment. you must be the best rider the world alt=biggrin.png>

death is nothing to him and he preys! in the night with an exploding ego and calls people idiot!

you are funny really man. take it easy brocheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>  

Bow Wow !

more exploding ego starring ll2 fun club members seedy and andre!

I have read only a few comments where experience trumps gear.

The point I was trying to make - and I wear protective gear, just not a full face helmet, is in many accidents the best gear in the world will not protect you.

Hit a car at 80 kph and your CE approved whatever will not help. Unstoppable force meets immovable object time.

For a low side, slide-along-the-road type of accident, it will save much skin, and most broken bones.

But it is impossible to defeat physics with Kevlar and knee pads. That is the crux of the matter as I see it.

I say again - the most important piece of safety gear is IN your helmet.

leave your comments with you.

what are you supporting here? If we ride very very good, a half face is enough? sorry but i classify this kind of thinking as high ego and over confidence originated from it.

your half face helmet protects you from 80 kph accident? So your logic is, if we hit a pole at 80 kph, full face or half face or no helmet, anyway we die? poor thinking and very poor advises.

you remind me old harley guys saying if you know how to ride or crash!, you dont need gear or helmetlaugh.png

ignorant is a bliss and cool winds cooling your coconut and exposed body!

just again, change your mentality.  a half face will never protect you as good as a full face helmet and no perfect riding skills will protect you from an accident either.

and no, helmet is not the most important. the most important thing is having the mentality to wear full gear including a full face helmet while not being trapped by your ego whispering to you:  "no need for gear, you ride very very good, nothing will happen to you"

Edited by ll2

I see Panda rider is a distributor for Forcefield. Any idea of their prices ??

And - what items do you use from this company ?

Pro shirt $349.00 in Canada, Pro pants the same.

Their prices are actually really good on the Forcefield stuff- maybe 10% more than the US. They sell the Limb Tubes, which I wear under jeans as knee pads (they can also be used as elbow pads in the smaller sizes, but I wear a jacket with elbow protection). If you ride in jeans I highly recommend them as they're relatively thin and can be worn on bare skin very comfortably- I use them on every ride in jeans- they only protect the front of the knee and are definitely a compromise from a full knee brace, but it's a piece of gear that's so easy to use and I don't even know I'm wearing them- they're one of my favorite purchases. I've also got a Forcefield back protector that's specific to Dainese jackets that I really like as it's fully perfed and flows a lot of air. They've got a couple of new full back protectors (meaning they're separate from the jacket and are worn strapped to your body) that I'm considering.

I've looked into the Pro Shirt- ideally it would need to be worn under a jacket as the shirt itself only offers impact resistance and needs additional abrasion protection- it's not really a 'stand-alone' item (same with the pants)- I prefer an armored jacket. I've actually got an Icon Stryker Rig that's somewhat similar (though not as high-quality), and I haven't worn it too often as I dislike having to use an extra layer. Edited by RubberSideDown

i have these protectors that i use.

back protector - sk479-  came with a komine jacket but it fist other jackets as well. 

Also got a komine full protector recently from paddock, very good price and good quality product. very comfy.

i feel a lot safe when i wear my full protector a lot. also it is comfy to put on and off. it does not block air flow too for less sweaty ride.

http://www.paddock.co.th/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=1042&virtuemart_category_id=48&Itemid=625

forcefield products are very good better than these i listed but they did not have a full protector in stock and panda also price is 5 times more than Komine.

Thanks RSD - I just put the prices in as a comparison. 10% over US not too bad.

Looking at the shorts for sure, and the extreme adventure harness. Couple the two, and add some knee guards, should be good to go. Boots I got already, along with a good helmet.

And as cool as you can get while still being protected.

Protection when riding a bike:
When I first came to Thailand, I always wore a condom when riding my bike. I was told that willing females are so plentiful, they're falling off trees. I didn't want to catch anything in case one fell on me.

T

Good you wore that condom.  With that attitude there was a big prick on the bike.

Alas, if only. Though the ladies assure me that size isn't everything; having a sense of humor is attractive too, they say. They may say the opposite to you, if, unlike me, you're lucky.

T
  • Like 1

My son in Australia recently came off his bike at relative slow speed after collision with a taxi which suddenly pulled out in front of him without indicating. His bike was a write off, but he was ok thanks to full protective gear including full face helmet. He hit the road on his back and head - helmet was a write off too but did its job as he has no head injury and only many bruises to his body.

He would have been dead or brain damaged without the helmet and its amazing to me that many Australians ride rented bikes in Thailand and Bali without a helmet, in keeping with the rest of their stupid behaviour.  In Australia helmet wearing is rigidly enforced with big financial penalties and points loss if caught and you definitely don't bribe a cop in Australia.  

I have finally convinced my Thai lady to wear a helmet when she rides a bike in her village - but she is the only one who does.

Even though they have never been proven to save lives?

I can't believe what I am reading from people who don't dress appropriately - accidents don't choose to happen for your convenience - on the open road when you're all kitted up for example.No no, an accident will get you when you are least prepared!

You know how your old boss always used to catch you talking? You never talked, but just that once . . . accidents have the same amount of savvy as your old boss.

What has it got to do with you how other people decide to ride?

• Like 1

Anyone who doesn't wear a full face helmet and appropriate gear is mentally retarded or soon will be.

I survived a head on collision with a pick up at close to 200 Kph. Virtually without a scratch and just some bruises.

However I was wearing about 100k baht of gear. The longer you get away with not wearing gear the slimmer your chances become.

[attachment=277608:551383205_dr_evil_right_thumb_xlarge.jpeg]

• Like 1

Simplest answer to the topic: Yes and YES!

While I agree with you, mine has to be NO and YES.  I guess it's difficult to break old habits--I've been riding more years than it takes to qualify for the Retiree Extension in Thailand.

So, I should know, I've been down before. I do try to rationalize it--I ride more carefully, because I am in Thailand; to help me stay careful, I ride a Harley because I know it's going to cost to fix it; and I don't wear a set of full leathers, because I will be even more careful to avoid the pain.

I was driving in New Zealand; sunstrike on the road, a Harley whose leathers and helmet matched the colour of the bike which matched the colour of the road. I never saw him coming when I indicated and turned in front of him. I was doing 60 kph, he was probably doing 100. He laid on the binders, rear end fish-tailing, and being either good or lucky, managed to miss me. I was probably at fault, but the South Island of NZ is notorious for sunstrikes. The point is you don't know when or how your accident will happen, only that will.

A friend of mine in the US was stopped at a light on a Honda Goldwing. The car that hit them from behind and pushed them through the intersection never saw the red light. His wife, the pillion, died instantly, and he's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. They both were wearing full gear. Full gear will not save you in every accident - some are just not survivable. But the odds dramatically increase in your favour if you have full gear.

Noahvail, btw like you name, I am neither arguing the logic of safety gear nor the dangers of riding motorcycles. However, if I wanted a safe and secure life, I would have stayed in my bed in Dayton, Ohio, instead of being a lifelong biker and third-world expat. 

Fair enough! I was told 16 years ago, after a failed operation, that I had less than a year to live. I've "lived" more since then than I had in the 50 or so years before, and have been the happier for it. But I still look both ways before crossing the street, especially in a third-world country.