question about street food safety

tomtom345

street food is good, altho i dont eat anything deep fried any more because I dont trust the oil they use. last time i ate deep fried chicken the oil stayed on my fingers and lips for 2 days and i couldnt wash it off, dont know what it was but Im sure its not healthy

Because cooking oil is expensive.
  • Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice is to watch the locals, if a stall is busy, you can be pretty sure it's ok. I have eaten street food almost daily now for the past 5 years and have never been ill from it.

The locals get sick all the time. Here in our village, the Thai gals and maids are always running to the hospital for a quick fix due to the food they've eaten. My wife's been sick several times over the past few years. Same with our maid.

• Like 2

My advice is to watch the locals, if a stall is busy, you can be pretty sure it's ok. I have eaten street food almost daily now for the past 5 years and have never been ill from it.

The locals get sick all the time. Here in our village, the Thai gals and maids are always running to the hospital for a quick fix due to the food they've eaten. My wife's been sick several times over the past few years. Same with our maid.

probably som tam, the ladies seem to be addicted to it and over do it for some reason, maybe the rotting crab in it does it. I dont like it personally

• Like 1

probably som tam, the ladies seem to be addicted to it and over do it for some reason, maybe the rotting crab in it does it. I dont like it personally

Pla-raa is nasty stuff, and personally I don't trust it. I like Som Tum, but if I eat it I ask the vendor to wash out the mortar and pestle, leave out the crab, and use lime juice. But if it has pla-raa and crab, I won't touch it.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think I will continue to take care when eating 'street food'....... sticking to things that have just been cooked or on the BBQ, and being particularly wary during the hot season when I seem to get a few mild cases of dodgy food. Also no BUGs, or that rather dubious soup made by pouring barely hot stock over raw offal that has been sitting around a while.

Food poisoning is very unpleasant and as you get older, becomes dangerous.

In 11 years of eating Thai street food and various other outlets have only ever had one serious food poisoning, three days of unable to maintain anything in my stomach, and that was from a restaurant (Savoey) spelled as written, at Don Muang airport, never had a problem otherwise.

I avoid chicken in Thailand. Elsewhere too for that matter, unless I know it is free range. There are far too many hormones and general nastiness involved in intensive chicken farming for my taste.

I ate chicken in Thailand everyday for about 10 years- then my friend told me. Dude you're going to turn into a lady. Lots of the chicken here has hormones and did you notice that you may have been less manly lately? Yes, I did! Oh well- I gotta run and pick out a new dress for Friday's party.

B man

• Like 1

I eat Thai street food a lot and have never had any problems.

That said, I've had friends visit for a two week holiday and been quite violently ill after eating Pad Thai from the a street food stall for the first time.

Look out for food places that are busy with Thai people and you wont go far wrong in my opinion.

Yeah, that is true. Westerners and their phobia of bacteria and excessive cleaning tend to cause them to be pretty susceptible to local bacteria here and in other non-Western countries. But that bacteria is in the water, in the food, it's everywhere. Imodium is a newbie tourists friend. If it's bad enough, antibiotics. And time. It took me about a year to get completely use to the local bacteria.

Good Point!!!

That said, I've had friends visit for a two week holiday and been quite violently ill after eating Pad Thai from the a street food stall for the first time.

Look out for food places that are busy with Thai people and you wont go far wrong in my opinion.

Yeah, that is true. Westerners and their phobia of bacteria and excessive cleaning tend to cause them to be pretty susceptible to local bacteria here and in other non-Western countries. But that bacteria is in the water, in the food, it's everywhere. Imodium is a newbie tourists friend. If it's bad enough, antibiotics. And time. It took me about a year to get completely use to the local bacteria.

Good Point!!!

thought you were going to get that dress..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A friend of mine international airline pilot was told by his company the most likely place he'll get food poisoning is from his hotel

True that. In hotel or Western-style closed-kitchen restaurant you order from a photograph and a vague written description, with no clue what goes on in the kitchen.

At least on the street you can see the ingredients, observe the preparation process, and (modulo language difficulties) ask questions.

If you watch the Thai customers, you'll see they do just that, very actively

It's a good system if you take advantage of its characteristics.

Same post as as few months ago. I have eaten street food for years if I can scarf it up before the soi dogs beat me to it. If you see street vendors crowded with farangs stuffing all sorts of Thai food down their necks you might draw the conclusion that it is safe. The only way you are going to know for sure is try it yourself; be sure to get your bottle of immoduim and Belcid for the hot chili dishes LOL Personally, I try to stick to eating the sidewalk Schwarmas on soi 4 in BKK

On the whole street food is safe, the authorities spend a lot of effort ensuring there is some understanding of food hygiene. One issue is how long they keep using oil for cooking, while not a hygiene issue there can be long term issues with the over use of food oil.

The vendors only buy enough stock to last for the day. They have a good/reasonable understanding of ice and keeping food at the right temperature until it cooked or the ice melts.

The people you see selling food at lunch time are not usually the same ones you see in the evening. The usual caveat is to look at the stalls and if they popular the food is usually safer and better quality.

There's usually such a choice in the main street food areas you can be picky.

As others have said - look for the ones that keep the chicken on ice and cook to order.

I never eat cooked street food that's been sitting out in the heat after it's been cooked.

There's some theoretical risks from old cooking oil, pesticides, antibiotics, exhaust fumes etc but if you were really concerned about such risks would you be living here?

KittenKong, on 27 Jul 2014 - 10:08, said:

I avoid chicken in Thailand. Elsewhere too for that matter, unless I know it is free range. There are far too many hormones and general nastiness involved in intensive chicken farming for my taste.

So far off topic, why the hell did you post it. As for the OPs question, I eat street food often, never had a problem. You take the risk no matter where you eat, even in the best restaurants in the world.

• Like 1

Eat the street food but stay away from bigger restaurants if you want to keep your stomach healthy!

In 3 years living here I got sick from food 3 times, all times after going to a big or western style restaurant.

I would actually say that the hotel restaurants are the worst!

The small food stalls usually buy fresh food everyday and don't keep the food for weeks in fridges and freezers.

Eat the street food but stay away from bigger restaurants if you want to keep your stomach healthy!

In 3 years living here I got sick from food 3 times, all times after going to a big or western style restaurant.

The small food stalls usually buy fresh food everyday and don't keep the food for weeks in fridges and freezers.

Yes I can recall eating over and over again at many a 5 star buffet and feeling terribly good about it - albeit full.

Yes I can recall eating over and over again at many a 5 star buffet and feeling terribly good about it - albeit full.

Yea, and all of us can afford/want to pay 100 or more a night for sleeping!?

Last time I stayed at Hilton Sukhumvit I payed B5500 a night just for sleeping. But I would say that I got better value for my money last time I stayed at a hotel in Phitsanulok and payed B2000 including dinner, massage and a lady for the night...

You are right about that the restaurants in the hotels with 5 stars are usually good. But look at the restaurants in 2-4 star hotels around here where most of the tourists end up and the food hygiene in those restaurants. I would chose the small food stalls over most of them!

So far off topic, why the hell did you post it.

In reply to this: "However, when buying "fresh" chicken I'm never sure whether to go for the fly blown pieces on the top of the pile, or the pieces on the bottom that are floating in the salmonella soup."

As far as I know chicken is often found in street food, and as such presumably it is on topic.

In reply to this: "However, when buying "fresh" chicken I'm never sure whether to go for the fly blown pieces on the top of the pile, or the pieces on the bottom that are floating in the salmonella soup."

As far as I know chicken is often found in street food, and as such presumably it is on topic.

Even my coworkers tell me to stay away from chicken here in Thailand as most of the chicken comes from 2-3 big companies that feed way to much antibiotics and other things that are not to healthy to them.

I work in a agricultural college so my colleagues should know what they are talking about!

• Like 2

I've eaten street food since I got here 7 years ago.

I've had food poisoning twice. Both times at international food franchises here in Thailand that farangs go to.

I trust street food. I have a number of specific vendors that I eat at depending on what I want.

Wonder where the well known Fast Food outlets get their supplies?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mcdonalds-faces-probe-hong-kong-over-use-rotten-meat-china-1458435

Edited by Basil B

Even my coworkers tell me to stay away from chicken here in Thailand as most of the chicken comes from 2-3 big companies that feed way to much antibiotics and other things that are not to healthy to them.

I work in a agricultural college so my colleagues should know what they are talking about!

As do all of the big suppliers in the West.

And that's not to mention the possibility of catching infections (herpes, TB etc) from other customers who leave their viruses and bacteria on the eating utensils which are washed in buckets of cold water. And let's not even start with parasites that every person who eats on the street is loaded with (and doesn't know it).

Life is too precious to risk it eating food cooked on the street.

I started to write about " liver flukes " and the whole post dissapa red- but please look it up as it was referred to in a recent article and related to fermented fish pastes and uncooked crabs. Whether street food is safe ( as in generally speaking - it doesn't give you food poisoning ) or not, I much prefer to cook food at home. At least in this way I can control the hygiene, fats, cholesterol and sodium content. I love curries and spicy food - but it's our version of them - with less of the afore mentioned, even if this is a compromise on the taste !

• Like 2

Food is generally clean but not the handlers. The same bare hands handling your food or picking your kwai teow have gone places best not described. If handlers use gloves, I will be bit more confident.

When you go into a market, watch where the cooked chicken is laid out, watch how many people pick them up, look at them. then put them back down again, despite there being tongs to pick them up with. The vendor does nothing to stop this.

They could have been picking their noses, scratching their asses. Never eat anything that people are handling.

From time to time, if hungry and away from the house, I will eat street food - predominantly chicken which seems to be largely condemned in this thread. Never mind, when hungry a risk or two seems worth it- at least when you have a few stalls to pick the best of the bad! However, when you see how food is prepared here, the lack of hygiene, the weather, the insects and the lack of refrigeration - then surely science would suggest that there are better options??

• Like 2