Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Many thanks stbkk. I will try what you are explaining at my District Office and I'll see how that goes. Regarding the Alien Registration, I guess I got the same as you then, hence the 6 years.

And yes, peace of mind is definitely priceless for the time being, when I see some of my friends having more and more difficulties to renew their visa and work permit due to stricter rules...

Out of interest, where are you located?

There are reports of a lot of the pink id cards being issued to people in Bangkok and other major centres, but if you are out in the sticks it may be a bit more difficult. Mine was in Thonglog in Bangkok, and they had obviously had a number of people in before me as it was so easy.

Good luck.

I am located in Makkasan (Ratchathewi), and I got no problem getting my yellow tabien baan back then, and my blue tabien baan when I became a PR holder. So I guess they are quite familiar with those processes, so I don't expect to get much trouble there. But thanks for the heads up!

On 5/4/2559 at 8:53 PM, Zam said:

Hello all PR holders.

I was told that now we can use the auto gates at the airport for all PR holders who have a valid passport with minimum 6 months and also who has completed 6 months from the date of issue of the blue book.

Make sure you have atleast 2.30 hours of time before your flight.

After immigration stamping go to the immigration box right after that and contact the officer and tell them you want to have the auto gate access.

He will ask you for your blue book and passport with the boarding pass.

He will give you a form to fill which needs a local thai contact with their Thai id and address with phone number. Once done you give this to the officer.

Sit down and relax he will do the necessary entries in the system.

Then he will ask you to sit infront of the camera and take your pictures

Then he will do the fingerprints and once thats through he will complete the process.

He will take you to the gate outside and ask you to put the passport in the scanner at the auto gate and you must use your index finger for scanning and look at the camera once it recognises gate opens and you are no more in the que waiting on your way in and out :)

Say Khopun krap and breeze in and out.

Cheers and a must do for all PR holders :)

I just did mine and its really cool.

I tried registering for use of the automatic gates in Suvarnabhumi airport last week (31 July 2016). I speak fluent Thai, so was able to ask questions in Thai and receive correct information. The registration has to be done at the large immigration desk after passing the Immigration counters near check-in counters J-K-L.  The Immigration counter at the far end of the airport (near check-in rows R-S-T) cannot do this registration. 

In the end, I couldn't complete the registration because I needed to have a minimum of 2 years remaining on my passport, but I had only 1 year 10 months left (meaning with a passport expiry of May 2018, if I had applied in May 2016, not July 2016, I could have done it). The Immigration Officer said come back when I had a new passport. Bummed out a little bit, because this point was not made clear anywhere, but the Immigration Officer apologized for not checking the expiry date on my passport before she took me over to process the application. My understanding is that the registration to use the auto gates at the airport is good for the duration of the passport, but you have to re-register every time you change your passport. So until I replace my passport, I have to use the remaining 1-2 channels for Thais that still have immigration officers.

Edited by Maeklong
edited to clarify a location
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2016 at 1:30 PM, Maeklong said:

I tried registering for use of the automatic gates in Suvarnabhumi airport last week (31 July 2016). I speak fluent Thai, so was able to ask questions in Thai and receive correct information. The registration has to be done at the large immigration desk after passing the Immigration counters near check-in counters J-K-L.  The Immigration counter at the far end of the airport (near check-in rows R-S-T) cannot do this registration. 

In the end, I couldn't complete the registration because I needed to have a minimum of 2 years remaining on my passport, but I had only 1 year 10 months left (meaning with a passport expiry of May 2018, if I had applied in May 2016, not July 2016, I could have done it). The Immigration Officer said come back when I had a new passport. Bummed out a little bit, because this point was not made clear anywhere, but the Immigration Officer apologized for not checking the expiry date on my passport before she took me over to process the application. My understanding is that the registration to use the auto gates at the airport is good for the duration of the passport, but you have to re-register every time you change your passport. So until I replace my passport, I have to use the remaining 1-2 channels for Thais that still have immigration officers.

Thanks for your post.  I might correct a couple of things based on my experience.  First, I received my Autochannel privilege at the Immigration counter at the far end of the airport (Check-in rows R-S-T).  Maybe it took longer than others, I can't be sure, as each situation is different, but I did in fact get it at the far end Immigration counter.  The officers were quite helpful but maybe it is up to the mood of the officers, too.

Second, the Autochannel privilege is NOT good for the duration of your passport.  For those that successfully complete the Autochannel Immigration process, the Immigration officer will affix a barcode sticker with your name and expiry date in the last page of your passport.  It shows your Autochannel approval and the expiry date which is two (2) years from approval.  My passport expires in 2025 so the  Autochannel privilege will NOT extend to the full-length of my passport.  I'll need to apply again if my passport book fills up (not likely) or in two years time. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2016 at 0:04 PM, Jsu360418 said:

Thanks for your post.  I might correct a couple of things based on my experience.  First, I received my Autochannel privilege at the Immigration counter at the far end of the airport (Check-in rows R-S-T).  Maybe it took longer than others, I can't be sure, as each situation is different, but I did in fact get it at the far end Immigration counter.  The officers were quite helpful but maybe it is up to the mood of the officers, too.

Second, the Autochannel privilege is NOT good for the duration of your passport.  For those that successfully complete the Autochannel Immigration process, the Immigration officer will affix a barcode sticker with your name and expiry date in the last page of your passport.  It shows your Autochannel approval and the expiry date which is two (2) years from approval.  My passport expires in 2025 so the  Autochannel privilege will NOT extend to the full-length of my passport.  I'll need to apply again if my passport book fills up (not likely) or in two years time. 

My understanding is you have to go that immigration office desk  again each time you get a new re-entry permit so that's at least once a year.

• Like 1

Hi, I got my PR earlier this year and I have never heard about this pink Thai ID... I have 3 documents in my possession related to my PR:

1. Certificate of Residence (blue book)
  2. Alien Registration (red book)
  3. Tabien Baan (long blue book)
Did I miss something? By the way, could someone clarify the real use of the Alien Registration, except for getting a Non-Quota Immigrant Visa & Endorsement before temporarily leaving the country? Also, the police officer told me that I need to re-register in 6 years after issuance (but I read somewhere that I need to re-register every year)?

Some contradictions here and I would greatly appreciate some clarifications from long-time PR holders. Many thanks in advance!

My house help ( Burmese ) got pink ID last week, and she is not even PR

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Quick question about the blue Tabien Baan: when I went to get it at my local Ampur, I forgot to bring the one I already had (which I got when I purchased my condo). They first asked for it, then said that it's fine and they just issued a new one for me.

So now I have 2 blue Tabien Baan: the new one that they gave me (on which I'm registered)  and the one I previously got from the developer of the condo I bought. Anything to clarify with my Ampur or it's totally fine?

Im on a extended work trip to Europe. Actually been here almost three months now, and will return to BKK shortly. Unfortunately, my Work Permit was due for extension during my stay here. I tried to send my assistant to labor to suspend it temporarily. They said it was only possible to suspend it for a week at a time, and for a maximum of two weeks total. Anyway, they had to cancel my WP, and they asked me to apply for a new one, once I came back. Since my current extension is based on that WP, I guess that is automatically cancelled as well...(ARGH!) My assistant called immigration, and they said it shouldn't affect my PR application, as it was already completed, but I needed to return on a NON-B Visa. Good news.. phew.. (hope that its true... )

My current passport was almost full, so I decided to make a brand new Passport, and to go the local Thai Embassy and apply for a new NON-B Visa (Single entry).

I have a couple of questions:

- Should I move the stamps "under PR consideration" etc to the new passport?

- Can I get an extension based on the PR application? 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

CHANGE OF ADDRESS

Anyone had experience of changing their address after the application has been submitted by immigration to MOI ? When the PR is issued do the documents state your registered address so limit you to going into the blue book or that address first ?

Thanks

31 minutes ago, regedit said:

CHANGE OF ADDRESS

Anyone had experience of changing their address after the application has been submitted by immigration to MOI ? When the PR is issued do the documents state your registered address so limit you to going into the blue book or that address first ?

Thanks

I moved during my almost 6 year wait for approval from MOI. In fact immigration themselves moved too during that period (not that that is relevant).

There is no issue as far as the MOI approval is concerned even if you move to a different province.

But you need to inform immigration that you have moved especially as the approval letter (from immigration) will be sent to that address.

Edited by thedemon
  • Like 2

Hi,

I will have to travel abroad on october 1st and get another re-entry permit as it's expire now.

I work in Chiang Mai but did my PR in Bangkok where I have my home address.
- Can I apply in Chiang Mai, if yes in Promenada or Immigration close to the Airport? Any experience to share here? Waiting time, problems?
- I think I have to apply in person if I remember well, isn't it?
- Actually when I will apply and will I get it the same day?
Thanks for your answers and thumb up to this interesting thread and posters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2016 at 10:14 AM, thedemon said:

I moved during my almost 6 year wait for approval from MOI. In fact immigration themselves moved too during that period (not that that is relevant).

There is no issue as far as the MOI approval is concerned even if you move to a different province.

But you need to inform immigration that you have moved especially as the approval letter (from immigration) will be sent to that address.

Is immigration having the correct mailing address the only concern here ? I will still have access to the old address. Am I correct in thinking that the approval letter doesn't state which address you must be registered in - you just use that letter to get the Certificate of Residence/PR book and YOU can decide which house registration book you use ?

4 hours ago, regedit said:

Is immigration having the correct mailing address the only concern here ? I will still have access to the old address. Am I correct in thinking that the approval letter doesn't state which address you must be registered in - you just use that letter to get the Certificate of Residence/PR book and YOU can decide which house registration book you use ?

Yes I think you can decide which address/Tabien Baan you will use anytime prior to Immigration issuing your residence certificate.

You don't actually need the letter so long as you have some other way of being informed when you are approved. My letter never arrived.

4 hours ago, regedit said:

Yes I think you can decide which address/Tabien Baan you will use anytime prior to Immigration issuing your residence certificate.

You don't actually need the letter so long as you have some other way of being informed when you are approved. My letter never arrived.

• 2 weeks later...

Any people going for the 2016 PR application? I am going to apply at Chiang Rai immigrations.
Last year seems application date started at the 25th of November, I would like to start the procedure as early as possible.
So I look forward to see the new dates posted next month or so?

• 2 weeks later...

2 questions....

1 - What if your married and living in Thailand but working offshore with offshore income paid into thai account? Ie. Is it similar to spouse visa requirement where you can show you have a lot of money in account in lieu of monthly income?

2 - If you had PR based on your spouse visa and were to divorce and get a job or business do you keep PR or start from scratch?

2 questions....

1 - What if your married and living in Thailand but working offshore with offshore income paid into thai account? Ie. Is it similar to spouse visa requirement where you can show you have a lot of money in account in lieu of monthly income?

2 - If you had PR based on your spouse visa and were to divorce and get a job or business do you keep PR or start from scratch?

1 No as far as I know you need a Thai Work Permit and 3 years of Thai Tax returns.

2 Once you have your PR it does not matter if you divorce.

http://www.boi.go.th/tir/issue/200908_19_7/94.htm

Just now, brianinbangkok said:

1 No as far as I know you need a Thai Work Permit and 3 years of Thai Tax returns.

2 Once you have your PR it does not matter if you divorce.

I wonder if there could be a scenario where they tax your offshore salary. Quite complicated. Thanks for answer anyway

9 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I wonder if there could be a scenario where they tax your offshore salary. Quite complicated. Thanks for answer anyway

There is no way around the the requirement that you are working for a Thai company.

Have a look at the required documents to apply if married to a Thai. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/residence_th_sponser_en.pdf

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Then your salary isn't offshore.

You need to get a job in Thailand with a work permit. Hold the work permit for 3 full years and pay taxes on a minimum income of 50,000 baht (assuming you don't quality for reduced rates due to your nationality).

There are umbrella companies that can deal with most of that for you, but obviously there is a cost. If you are prepared to pay for a few years, it's possible.

Once you get the PR do you need to have the endorsement in the PR book every time you leave Thailand, or does one endorsement cover multiple trips for 1 year ?

And for the annual multiple entry visa in your passport, is this needed if you already hold a muliple entry permit as a result of working here (mine is valid for 2 years each time I renew) ?

5 minutes ago, regedit said:

Once you get the PR do you need to have the endorsement in the PR book every time you leave Thailand, or does one endorsement cover multiple trips for 1 year ?

And for the annual multiple entry visa in your passport, is this needed if you already hold a muliple entry permit as a result of working here (mine is valid for 2 years each time I renew) ?

The endorsement is only needed once a year when you apply for a visa/re-entry permit. 

They are not the same re-entry permit as those needed to keep an extension valid.

You can get a multiple re entry permit/ endorsement and use the Thai auto gates at the airport.

2 questions....

If I understand this right sikishrory is staying in Thailand as a dependant on his spouses visa.

Now if this the case the spouse could apply for a PR then following that sikishrory could apply for a PR based on being a spouse of a PR holder.

iii. Humanity Category – the foreigner must be the spouse, parent or child of a permanent resident or a Thai citizen.

13 minutes ago, brianinbangkok said:

If I understand this right sikishrory is staying in Thailand as a dependant on his spouses visa.

Now if this the case the spouse could apply for a PR then following that sikishrory could apply for a PR based on being a spouse of a PR holder.

iii. Humanity Category – the foreigner must be the spouse, parent or child of a permanent resident or a Thai citizen.

I think he means a visa or extension based upon marriage to a Thai.