What do Thai people think about luk kreung

laolover88

OK I realise it is not an interesting topic for people that have got an overstay problem stuck up their waterbutt
But it is a significant part of everyday life. Teacher more interested in my daughter's hair and fingernails because she is a luk khreung rather than her learning anything

Don't apologize!

Good topic.

Although there is a lot of sniveling and complaining on TV lately, I think the majority of us have been responsible and followed the simple rules of immigration.

It's time for the irresponsible to pay the fiddler and they don't like it.

Go Figure!

Anyway, good topic and please do not stop posting things that are interesting to those who have not created their own problems.

Thanks!

A half Thai half Australian girl I know (early 20's) returned to Thailand after 10 years (12yo-22yo) in Australia. The agency she worked for here told the Thai company that she was half Vietnamese as to avoid issues with the Thai staff - Jealousy, resentment and petty victimization stuff (she was earning 3 times what the Thai staff were)

The ones that return to Thailand after years of living and being educated in the West are almost envied and hated in the same breath, and almost regarded as traitors. Almost as if it's a case of 'How dare you be half Thai, but consider yourself as Western, and come back here to earn 3 times what we can make, and you don't even worship you know who! Who do you think you are!'

Not so for the ones raised and educated here, but the ones who return and are Westernized this seems to be largely the case.

As one of those you speak of, I think you are speaking out of your buttocks.

Now now Samran, even you must have squirmed in embarrassment at the "Miss Thai" leuk kreung being paraded on Ch 3.

Shyt their Thai is worse than mine (and I aint even Thai or leuk kreung) , their only link to these shores is their mother is Thai, head off for some coaching lessons, and pray no-one asks a question you havent been coached in.

Love the last one, a proper Thai woman from the south, not one of these anorexia types with a skin fixation.

Didn't see it, but I suspect anything to do with the entertainment industry here is a world to itself anyway. As for beauty pageants, I think if we wanted to we could get you tube clips of native English speakers embarrassing themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am teaching how to think analytically (well, as much as you can a 6 year old) and to question things. One day when he is older the ability to be able to think logically, to rationalise things properly along with the ability to speak English and Thai fluently will stand him in good stead.

I may get slated for it, but I think raising them as a Luk Krung in Thailand is better in the long term than being raised as a Eurasian in the West. Especially if they choose to settle in Thailand after the age of 30.

Providing they are educated to a Western level in Thailand and finish their studies with a Western qualification (M.A. from the West following a Thai B.A. for example).

They always have the option of living and working in the West, and also of doing so in Thailand where they have a massive advantage over local candidates (and also foreign candidates) if they were raised and educated to B.A. level here, on top of being fluently bilingual, bicultured and having a Western M.A. or PhD as well as work experience in both Thailand and the West.

They might have to tell their Thai colleagues that they are half Vietnamese, in order to not have their tires slashed etc, but besides that they would be in a fantastic position. biggrin.png

Except that jobs in Thailand pay shit compared to the West and you can be jailed for saying not nice things about certain people. 

Honestly, ask yourself what it is that you truly like about Thailand and then explain to me why it would be good for your daughter to grow up there...

I am teaching how to think analytically (well, as much as you can a 6 year old) and to question things. One day when he is older the ability to be able to think logically, to rationalise things properly along with the ability to speak English and Thai fluently will stand him in good stead.

I may get slated for it, but I think raising them as a Luk Krung in Thailand is better in the long term than being raised as a Eurasian in the West. Especially if they choose to settle in Thailand after the age of 30.

Providing they are educated to a Western level in Thailand and finish their studies with a Western qualification (M.A. from the West following a Thai B.A. for example).

They always have the option of living and working in the West, and also of doing so in Thailand where they have a massive advantage over local candidates (and also foreign candidates) if they were raised and educated to B.A. level here, on top of being fluently bilingual, bicultured and having a Western M.A. or PhD as well as work experience in both Thailand and the West.

They might have to tell their Thai colleagues that they are half Vietnamese, in order to not have their tires slashed etc, but besides that they would be in a fantastic position. biggrin.png

Except that jobs in Thailand pay shit compared to the West and you can be jailed for saying not nice things about certain people. 

Honestly, ask yourself what it is that you truly like about Thailand and then explain to me why it would be good for your daughter to grow up there...

Total Western salary, plus Thai salary, plus housing, plus schooling.

How is that shit, compared to just the Western salary on its own?

"Honestly, ask yourself what it is that you truly like about Thailand and then explain to me why it would be good for your daughter to grow up there..."

Great schooling, great combination of cultures, a great travel hub, great culture and history, the advantage for them of being both local and Western - which is a massive advantage to them here, much more so than being local and Thai in the West. :)

Edited by Deacon Bell

"Honestly, ask yourself what it is that you truly like about Thailand and then explain to me why it would be good for your daughter to grow up there..."

Great schooling, great combination of cultures, a great travel hub, great culture and history, the advantage for them of being both local and Western - which is a massive advantage to them here, much more so than being local and Thai in the West. smile.png

so raise your children in thailand on the hopes that they can get an expat work package? how does that work exactly? get a job in a western company while in thailand and then get transfered to thailand when you are already there? huh? if your kids are raised in thailand why would anyone want to pay them something other than the local salary? all for a better command of english and hope that their degree from "thai youcanpayunderthetablefordiploma university" is worth something? also, how is schooling better in thailand? the rest: like better culture and history is just fluff. the current history is another military coup, human right violations, no freedom of speech, etc...

....most of you personally prefer thailand for your own selfish reasons and raise your children here because it suits your needs which you put before theirs.

how many thai CEO do you think studied only in thailand and not the west? why do rich thais all want to get their kids out of thailand?

• Like 2

Only if they attend an extortionately expensive international school.

And even then its no guarantee of anything. My kids are bilingual and just returned. Most people don't even notice they are half Thai.
  • Like 2

all i have really seen written on thai visa and elsewhere by teachers in these international schools is "I recommend that you do not send your kids here".

That is why you send them to the ones where the teachers do send their own kids...

i would love to hear some positive reviews written by farang teachers about the schools that they teach at... just can't recall seeing any.

mostly the positive posts are something along the lines of "I am 65 and the wifey is 28. Our kids go to such and such international school and love it. they are brilliant and cute and thai women give them lots of attention because of their mixed looks! they had a school play or something and dressed like ducks. i noticed the other kids mom's were white skinned and fit. no doubt my kids wiil make out like bandits in life... would never raise them back in the UK with all those minorities who have robbed the country blind. [something about gypsies]. "

• Like 1

"Dek Farang" simply means "Farang child".

In what the woman said there is absolutely no implication that the child is of mixed parentage.

Slightly off topic but I do get very irritated that "Luk Kreung" in this and similar Threads are somehow automatically consigned to the "Entertainment" field in their career prospects.

My own daughter - British father, Thai mother - graduated from ISB here in Bangkok, went on to attend the London School of Economics and is currently working at a very Senior level with a Multi-national Corporation in London earning over GBP 150,000.- a year.

Patrick

You know, sir - I love stories like that.  

There's far too many Lek Kreung kids being denied the opportunity to make real progress in their lives, 

Far too many farang fathers abandon them, and just as bad in my opinion - far too many subject them to Thai education knowing that they are denying them the best of the west.  

Once you have a child, it is beholden upon you to give that child the best chance in life.  

If you can't guarantee equivalent standard education in Thailand, you have to take them to the west and educate them.  

Great schooling, great combination of cultures, a great travel hub, great culture and history, the advantage for them of being both local and Western - which is a massive advantage to them here, much more so than being local and Thai in the West. smile.png

I can not remember how many family members of my ex Thai wife have asked if we would take on their children so they could get an education in my country.I now a lot of half Thai kids in the Thai community where i live and some full Thai kids who grew up here and none of them are interested of returning to the motherland to work  and live.

I know a  few Thai woman who have so called  Thai uni degrees and said degrees are not recouldnized by our educational standards let alone companys the best jobs they could get is stacking shelves in the local supermarket  and one i know used to be a nurse in Thailand is cleaning old peoples bumbs in an old folks home nothing wrong with that of course.

But to get their degrees certified to our standards they need to take integration courses,language courses and this can take up to five years until they speak the language on an exceptable level al funded by nanny state of course and then they have to go to an exam commision to get their degrees certified most of them have failed and the two woman in the above paragraph have just given up triying.

i would love to hear some positive reviews written by farang teachers about the schools that they teach at... just can't recall seeing any.

mostly the positive posts are something along the lines of "I am 65 and the wifey is 28. Our kids go to such and such international school and love it. they are brilliant and cute and thai women give them lots of attention because of their mixed looks! they had a school play or something and dressed like ducks. i noticed the other kids mom's were white skinned and fit. no doubt my kids wiil make out like bandits in life... would never raise them back in the UK with all those minorities who have robbed the country blind. [something about gypsies]. "

555555 Brilliant laugh.png

And supremely accurate.  

school mates are jealous and try the cream to make them whiteys too , girls with dark skin want you to impregnate them cos they want one too

Plus, because they will be half Western they can just go to any ATM and take any amount of money out, any time they want.

Well half the time, they are only half Western of course. That's the way the World works.

Different kinds of look kreung are given different names, for example

look kreung piew kao pa som india daeng = mestizo

look kreung piew kao pa som piew dum - mulatto

I don't know if the English terms are PC these days or not. 

Thais are most certainly not PC -  you don't here khon  farang or khon jek, only farang mun and jek mun, which is very rude IMHO

look kreung kaek/yeepoon etc

Oddly, I never here look kreung jeen eve though there are millions here. 

They are perceived in many different ways, depending on who there parents are and the country the alien came from.

My daughter is called "farang noi" or simply "farang".  I think it is cos she doesn't look Asian at all (really golden blonde hair and ghostly white like all Scottish).  People don't believe her mother is Thai.  If they don't know her, they think she is the maid.

Funny thing is, my daughter calls me farang too, haha.  When she sees a white person on TV she says, "Oh farang....daddy's friend!"  haha.  Its kinda cute, but she is in for a rude awakening, i think.

What do Thais think of luk kreung?  Well, many things (like other posters have mentioned here). But ultimately, I think they aren't considered Thai at all. 

In what the woman said there is absolutely no implication that the child is of mixed parentage.

Slightly off topic but I do get very irritated that "Luk Kreung" in this and similar Threads are somehow automatically consigned to the "Entertainment" field in their career prospects.

My own daughter - British father, Thai mother - graduated from ISB here in Bangkok, went on to attend the London School of Economics and is currently working at a very Senior level with a Multi-national Corporation in London earning over GBP 150,000.- a year.

Patrick

There's far too many Lek Kreung kids being denied the opportunity to make real progress in their lives, 

Far too many farang fathers abandon them, and just as bad in my opinion - far too many subject them to Thai education knowing that they are denying them the best of the west.  

Once you have a child, it is beholden upon you to give that child the best chance in life.  

If you can't guarantee equivalent standard education in Thailand, you have to take them to the west and educate them.  

You must be a real bread head if you think progress is all about how much money they can earn. 

Are you seriously trying to say that I am as bad as a father abandoning his kids just because I want to live in Thailand and my kids get a Thai education?

I guess you don't have kids.

My daughter is called "farang noi" or simply "farang".  I think it is cos she doesn't look Asian at all (really golden blonde hair and ghostly white like all Scottish).  People don't believe her mother is Thai.  If they don't know her, they think she is the maid.

Funny thing is, my daughter calls me farang too, haha.  When she sees a white person on TV she says, "Oh farang....daddy's friend!"  haha.  Its kinda cute, but she is in for a rude awakening, i think.

What do Thais think of luk kreung?  Well, many things (like other posters have mentioned here). But ultimately, I think they aren't considered Thai at all. 

Well I'd say that all Thais think that Thongchai McIntyre, Meechai Viravaida, Tata Young are Thai. 

Well I'd say that all Thais think that Thongchai McIntyre, Meechai Viravaida, Tata Young are Thai. 
....who happen to have a foreign parent, if the thought even crosses their mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by samran

Just because they are famous, or what?  (oh ok, if the person is admirable they will accept he/she is Thai....but otherwise?)

• Like 1

Patrick

You must be a real bread head if you think progress is all about how much money they can earn. 

Are you seriously trying to say that I am as bad as a father abandoning his kids just because I want to live in Thailand and my kids get a Thai education?

I have three kids - two degree educated. 

Only you will know the true reason why you have forced your kids through Thai education. 

Maybe it's due to a personal weakness. 

A desperate desire to stay in Thailand. 

At the expense of your kids. 

Do anything but the right thing. 

And lie to yourself it's for the best. 

Western fathers that deny their children any form of upbringing in the west. 

Need to have a long, hard, and truthful look at their motives. 

In your case - I suspect it's because your skint. 

And you know what you would be coming back to. 

It's your own fear that's driving you. 

And your fear is being fed at the expense of your children's future. 

• Like 1

Patrick

I agree.

I want my daughter to be happy, have good quality of life and be healthy.

If i wanted her to be fat and miserable with poor quality of life, despite being educated, i would take her back west.

I personally think education is overrated.  It shouldn't be a lifetime achievement to be educated.  Happiness is number one. 

When you are ready to die you won't regret not being educated.

My GF is the least educated person i know.  She thought Australia and Mexico were in Europe.  But she is smarter than me in many ways.  More common sense, practical abilities/skills, problem solving skills.  But aside form that, she is very content and happy.  Her life is mostly at ease no matter what.  She really has a good life.  The type of life many westerners admire and actually come to Thailand to try to have themselves.  Find peace, have a simple life.

Education is nothing more than an intellectual game (and getting some pieces of paper).  And of all the ways a person can be smart - it is the most trivial.

You need you head seen to.

If you were living in the UK and said that social services would be taking a look at you

Patrick

I have three kids - two degree educated. 

Only you will know the true reason why you have forced your kids through Thai education. 

Maybe it's due to a personal weakness. 

A desperate desire to stay in Thailand. 

At the expense of your kids. 

Do anything but the right thing. 

And lie to yourself it's for the best. 

Western fathers that deny their children any form of upbringing in the west. 

Need to have a long, hard, and truthful look at their motives. 

In your case - I suspect it's because your skint. 

And you know what you would be coming back to. 

It's your own fear that's driving you. 

And your fear is being fed at the expense of your children's future. 

Unbelievable! You have no idea about my/our circumstances.

How much do your kids with degrees earn? I suspect not much or you'd have squeezed it in somewhere.  Are they half Thai?

Why do you think I'm skint? I've just bought a nice house actually and make a good living. My kids go to private schools.  If I went back to the West, my family would be struggling to get by financially (certainly no private school)but true they would get a good education.  Now if they want to leave school at 16 and become  bums, it would all have been a waste of time. 

It is for the best for me personally and as a consequence, my family. 

My own fear driving me where? 

I have been here nearly all my adult life and it is home, and for someone to call me a bad father for choosing where I want to/we live is ridiculous and insulting. 

At a stretch I could send my kids to an international school but I'm sure instead of spending 9 million baht for 2 of them just for Secondary level, they'd much rather have a house plus that money given to them. 

The plan is to send them abroad to a UK uni, if they want(I'm not going to force education as you say).  

I wonder what your motives are for attacking all fathers of luuk kreung kids who are in the Thai education system. 

So please tell us about your kids jobs, even if it is in McDonalds.

Also, how much time did you spend with your kids? If I were in the UK, I'd hardly see them. Here, I've been taking them to school and picking them up for 10 years. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

^^ I doubt you could afford to send them abroad. 

I'm prepared to bet you couldn't even afford the price of the flight home. 

Anyway, it's obvious I've touched a nerve - you've admitted you can't/couldn't afford to live in the UK. 

Due to your inability to hack here - you've deprived your kids a western education. 

You must be so proud. 

• Like 1

^^ I doubt you could afford to send them abroad. 

I'm prepared to bet you couldn't even afford the price of the flight home. 

Anyway, it's obvious I've touched a nerve - you've admitted you can't/couldn't afford to live in the UK. 

Due to your inability to hack here - you've deprived your kids a western education. 

You must be so proud. 

Although I now know you're a troll and have a fair idea who you were before getting banned, I'll entertain you, even though you never answered my questions. Admit it, you have no luk kreung kids and came on this thread to troll.

Why do you doubt I could send them abroad? You have no idea of my bank balance. Assumptions are dangerous.

So your motive was to touch a nerve? Sorry.

I admitted nothing but said I am better off here.