Thai rice-pledging scheme: '80 percent of rice is fine'

webfact

Does anyone know the procedure that was used for the inspection?

How much rice will be missing if one truly unstacks the bags, counts them freshly before restocking in another pile at the warehouse?

Would be a good chance to tag each bag with RFID and have scanners at all doors of the warehouse to control the movement of stock.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

BANGKOK: -- Only 10 per cent of rice stockpiles has spoiled and only some sacks were missing, while 80 per cent was in still good condition, the rice inspection committee reported to the Rice Policy Committee meeting yesterday.

I imagine that this is related to yesterdays article, in which the author speculated that prosecuting Yingluck for fraud may cause unrest among her fans. So, we get "only some rice is missing", It is completely in line with the actions of every government Thailand has ever had, don't step on the toes of the rich.

You never know maybe, just maybe, what the rice inspection committee reported was the truth and there was not wholesale pilfering by Yingluck as reported widely by members on this forum, and that maybe, just maybe, any "corruption" there was, was committed at a local level, not some great conspiracy of theft cooked up by the Shinawatra family.

I agree with you fab4. While the rice pledging scheme was no doubt a populist idea to win support of the farmers, and was probably just as poorly conceived as the school tablet program, that is a far cry from being a scheme to defraud. So far the reports do not indicate there was a massive conspiracy to commit fraud on part of Yingluck and her government. The percentage of spoilage is just that and while unfortunate there naturally would be losses stemming from such occurrence. I tend to agree with you that most of the loss probably stems from corruption at the local level. Surely if Yingluck was the recipient of funds from this scheme on such a massive scale as some on TV suspect then she did a good job of hiding the money. To date there is no evidence that she conspired to defraud in anyway. At most they have seemed to be trying to get her for negligence. That is far different from the conspiracy theories postulated by many here on TV.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

BANGKOK: -- Only 10 per cent of rice stockpiles has spoiled and only some sacks were missing, while 80 per cent was in still good condition, the rice inspection committee reported to the Rice Policy Committee meeting yesterday.

I imagine that this is related to yesterdays article, in which the author speculated that prosecuting Yingluck for fraud may cause unrest among her fans. So, we get "only some rice is missing", It is completely in line with the actions of every government Thailand has ever had, don't step on the toes of the rich.

You never know maybe, just maybe, what the rice inspection committee reported was the truth and there was not wholesale pilfering by Yingluck as reported widely by members on this forum, and that maybe, just maybe, any "corruption" there was, was committed at a local level, not some great conspiracy of theft cooked up by the Shinawatra family.

I agree with you fab4. While the rice pledging scheme was no doubt a populist idea to win support of the farmers, and was probably just as poorly conceived as the school tablet program, that is a far cry from being a scheme to defraud. So far the reports do not indicate there was a massive conspiracy to commit fraud on part of Yingluck and her government. The percentage of spoilage is just that and while unfortunate there naturally would be losses stemming from such occurrence. I tend to agree with you that most of the loss probably stems from corruption at the local level. Surely if Yingluck was the recipient of funds from this scheme on such a massive scale as some on TV suspect then she did a good job of hiding the money. To date there is no evidence that she conspired to defraud in anyway. At most they have seemed to be trying to get her for negligence. That is far different from the conspiracy theories postulated by many here on TV.

Even the loss estimated to be at 500B Baht may dropped considerably when the junta released the stock for sale. Soft commodity especially rice is enjoying a mini boom with rice the strongest performer gaining 5.9% in response to tightening of world supplies ahead of next harvest.

The remaining 80% must've been so heavily fumigated with pesticides to accommodate storage for such an abnormal length of time, I'm beginning to wonder where I might be able to buy Laos rice.

Wait for the tests to be finished as it's possible that buying Thai rice is one way to get Lao rice.

I'm not sure that looking at the overall figures is all that helpful. It's unlikely that every warehouse will have been equally managed so that each one has 80% good rice. I would guess that there are warehouses that have losses and deterioration of a low amount that would be acceptable whilst others will be much worse. Those are the one that need criminal proceedings brought against them.

The remaining 80% must've been so heavily fumigated with pesticides to accommodate storage for such an abnormal length of time, I'm beginning to wonder where I might be able to buy Laos rice.

Wait for the tests to be finished as it's possible that buying Thai rice is one way to get Lao rice.

I'm not sure that looking at the overall figures is all that helpful. It's unlikely that every warehouse will have been equally managed so that each one has 80% good rice. I would guess that there are warehouses that have losses and deterioration of a low amount that would be acceptable whilst others will be much worse. Those are the one that need criminal proceedings brought against them.

There will be lots of problems at shipping time when they make final delivery. But, it will all have deteriorated somewhat and will be shipped as old crop at a reduced price.

General Prayuth Chan-ocha said. "He also urged the committee to conduct a feasibility study on applying the coop system to manage these centres."

Say clear of the Co-op route, to easy to be hijacked by political parties...

Just Google "Co-op" and the problems brought on by political appointees like Paul Flowers.

A kind reminder, the charge is negligence.

General Prayuth Chan-ocha said. "He also urged the committee to conduct a feasibility study on applying the coop system to manage these centres."

Say clear of the Co-op route, to easy to be hijacked by political parties...

Just Google "Co-op" and the problems brought on by political appointees like Paul Flowers.

The Co-op was running for over a century and a half before the problems with the banking section and the food section which was the original focus is still going fairly well as far as I know. I don't think Paul Flowers was a political appointee either but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps you could share the link you found on Google.

I have stated before, I don't know if Yingluck was involved in the corruption. She was Pm, she was the chairperson of the board, she is responsible. The Thai way seems to be to forgive, it is their country, if they don't want accountability to be a requisite for their politicians fine with me. But you know better, where you come from a charge of dereliction would be the very least that would happen. All this corruption, missing rice etc. may not be her fault, but it was her responsibility, and you know it.

I think the fact that there is osme trust (at least in my opinion), of what the Military says is going on, is a testament to their efforts.... Its a breath of fresh air :)

I would guess to assume that they have a team looking into who flogged the rice and also ask questions about why the rice has sat there so long

I for one, appreciate what the Military has done.... :)

• Like 1

I have stated before, I don't know if Yingluck was involved in the corruption. She was Pm, she was the chairperson of the board, she is responsible. The Thai way seems to be to forgive, it is their country, if they don't want accountability to be a requisite for their politicians fine with me. But you know better, where you come from a charge of dereliction would be the very least that would happen. All this corruption, missing rice etc. may not be her fault, but it was her responsibility, and you know it.

I don't believe I singled you out as stating that Yingluck was involved in any "corruption" that may be found. However I will look forward to yet another forum member applying this same "rule" of accountability if abhisit and suthep ever get around to being subject to a murder trial.

More detail on the 54bn of taxpayers' money that was used to purchase 3.6m tonnes of spoilt or non-existent rice and how this money will be recovered from those who appropriated it please, General.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Does anyone know the procedure that was used for the inspection?

How much rice will be missing if one truly unstacks the bags, counts them freshly before restocking in another pile at the warehouse?

Would be a good chance to tag each bag with RFID and have scanners at all doors of the warehouse to control the movement of stock.

Only in the real world.. TIT.. coffee1.gif

I don't believe I singled you out as stating that Yingluck was involved in any "corruption" that may be found. However I will look forward to yet another forum member applying this same "rule" of accountability if abhisit and suthep ever get around to being subject to a murder trial.

How are the charges filed against Yingluck and Chalerm for murder progressing? Not heard if they've reached the OAG yet?

Don't want any double standards do we?

Looks like it's not all bad anyway as the rice that has spoiled could be used for fuel. About 100,000 tonnes of rotten rice found in govt stockpiles during recent inspections could be put to good use - for the production of ethanol.

"Jirachai Moonthongroy, inspector-general at the PM's Office, who led the 52nd inspection team, said all 11 warehouses in Phitsanulok have been checked and less than 5 per cent of the rice on record was found missing or exaggerated in volume."

I guess there must be a plus or minus 5% error in such a large count. Does not look like too much amiss, at least in Phitsanulok.

Not good news for some perhaps?

You mean to suggest that with 'such a large count' in Phitsanulok the 5% might actually be 10%? Shame on you for making such suggestion.

BTW any idea how much rice in tonnes or sacks was supposed to be in 11 warehouses in Phitsanulok?