Thai football referees swear before the Emerald Buddha to perform with honesty

webfact

Thai football referees swear to perform with honesty

7-29-2014-10-42-49-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Football Association of Thailand (FAT) yesterday led over a hundred of its referees to swear in front of the Emerald Buddha that they will do their jobs with honesty and justice.

Association’s referee committee president Gen Chinnasen Thongkomol led the referees in swearing following rising concern from football fans and the public that some football matches, the referees decided the games against their eyes with suspicions of bribe-taking.

Among the referees taking oath was Thanom Borikut, chief referee who had been shot earlier in what believed to be from his referee role.

Swearing that they would perform straightforwardly and honestly, these referees are those who performed in premier league and division 1 football games.

The swearing in front of the Emerald Buddha is a superstitious tradition for Thais with strong belief if those who have sworn do not keep their oaths, they will meet ill fate and end in tragedy.

This is why Thai politicians dare not swear in front of the sacred Emerald Buddha.

Gen Chinnasen said this would help compel referees to officiate fairly as those who do not could be punished by the Emerald Buddha.

The domestic competition has been hit by wayward officiating and claims that certain referees take bribes.

The FAT has implemented several measures to stop this and improve the officiating, including using lie-detectors, but match-fixing allegations persist.

Thanom Borikut who has been suspended following several controversial calls, said this gesture would ensure referees would perform with honesty.

But he said referees have two eyes so it is not likely that everybody will make a correct decision all the time.

After the swearing, Gen Chinnasen said Thanom would be allowed to return to action after yesterday’s function.

A Thai Premier League coach Dusit Chalermsan said he hoped refereeing would improve as a result after they dared to swear before the Emerald Buddha.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-football-referees-swear-perform-honesty/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=thai-football-referees-swear-perform-honesty

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-29

On 10 April 2005, Thaksin Shinawatra presided over a "secret" and "private" merit-making ceremony at the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, the holiest site in Thai Buddhism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_Thai_political_crisis

It is very difficult in Thai politics to find “Truth,” but a group of government MPs went to the Temple of Emerald Buddhayesterday, and waited for the opposition to send its MPs to the Buddha, to “Swear” with the government, that what they said is factual.

The opposition MPs did not show up, and on the news this morning, that “Not Showing Up” was big news.

• Here in Thailand, to end bickering, where the “Truth” is at the center of the argument, it is tradition, with the young and old, to say “lets go to the Temple of the Emerald Buddha” and “Swear.”

http://<URL Automatically Removed>/2012/06/21/politics-is-the-famous-thai-temple-of-emerald-buddha-a-political-truth-sayer/

The Emerald Buddha has always been a ''tourist hot spot'' for Thai politicians to swear they are telling their version of the truth and that their minds are puerile pure.

The truth and Thai politics are indeed the parents of Urban Legends

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

Why are I seeing this, is it because Thailand has such atrocious record on Corruption and denial of responsibility that football umpires need to parade in numbers to tell only Thailand, that they are honest, while the rest of the world couldn't give a toss about umpires in Thailand , no matter how much swearing is involved that doesn't make anyone honest.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Misterwhisper post # 13

They "dared to swear in front of the Emerald Buddha".

Priceless! cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Like ''Knickers, Knackers Knockers

www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3xIg2pw8w

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

In a land where thai culture and thainess is lived by these referees actions are pointless. Their thainess will never allow them to admit guilt or complicity in wrongdoing and their love for buddha does not outweigh their love for money and position.

I am not saying any of them actually did cheat doing their job! Only that their actions now would not stop them should opportunity arise.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"A Thai Premier League coach Dusit Chalermsan said he hoped refereeing would improve as a result after they dared to swear before the Emerald Buddha."

Yeah right.

A dedicated ref could not improve his reffing with a visit. If he gained his class 1-2-3 with service and experience and assessors that's all he needs. This Thai Premier League ref needs therapy for saying this, unless the Watt has Fifa monks.

How did they know they were before the Emerald Buddha, refs have notoriously bad eyesight cheesy.gif

HEY, sorry I couldn't read what you posted.cheesy.gif I was class a 1 ref from the UK, yes we were a necessary evil. Just imagine this--Your next match is Millwall verses West Ham at Millwall, enough to make anyone shudder.

From class 3 to 2 to class 1, I never went to church to seek guidance --sorry no bashing religion but give it a break. Referees are in the game because they live and breathe it. they love the job because of the sport (like nurses-firemen) not the money.

If you love your work so much and you get paid to do it ---it's a lovely feeling-----how about doing a job you hate for years--that would do my head in.

I will admit at some venues you need brown underwear.

Some countries are so bad to ref in, intimidation is so harsh. not pleasant. I remember at some grounds in the UK in your dressing room every perk was there. from whisky, to Polo cologne , to food menus, or anything else you require. Fine for me do the job that was asked of you (referee the game) and take what you wanted.

How's your seeing eye dog these days ?

I heard he'd gone blind too

• Like 1

I will feel so much better now...when they make obviously bad calls...I will know it was just an honest mistake...and has nothing to do with the money they were paid by the mafia gambling cartel...