Car in the canal

Tywais

Driving south on canal road heading home and about a kilometer from the Mae Hia market going into a shallow right curve the traffic started slowing down. Some cars parked on the left hand shoulder and saw one barrier was missing and about 20 meters further up a car sitting in the water. It was upright and fortunately less than 1 meter of water.

Must have only just happened within the last minute or so. There was at least one person who had already gone down the canal wall to check on the occupants but couldn't see their condition and hope they were ok. The car was dented up a bit but not heavily damaged.

The rain had just started to mist so would say too much speed and a slight sheen on the road. Oddly enough it was a south bound car on a right curve so not sure how he swung it around into the barrier.

post-566-0-75621200-1406626197_thumb.jpg

"Oddly enough it was a south bound car on a right curve so not sure how he swung it around into the barrier. "

Probably some idiot undertook him on the left, but cut the corner as most locals tend to do & made contact, knocking him into the barrier?. Lane discipline is non existent on that stretch of road. Probably need race track style fences to keep cars out of the canal thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Last year I used the canal road as my route home but the number of motorbikes I saw on their side, cars parked in the shoulder for some spurious reason, helmets strewn along the road, cars and bikes without lights and the debris.....all associated with the rain we get in the evening.

Well I now travel along the mahidol road, its just as speedy for everyone but its well lit and always an extra lane.

Just feel safer, if that's possible.

For 365 days of the year there are innumerable trucks, buses and other vehicles spewing diesel fumes directly onto or just above the the surfaces of the roads. This oily coating falls and dries onto the road surfaces; and can be reasonably handled when dry, but becomes extremely slick and dangerous when wet. It may well be the Thai equivalent to the often unseen and dangerous 'black ice' in those countries with snowy winters.