Canadian Journalist Shot Dead By Girlfriend In Chiang Mai

Jai Dee

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Thai police say Canadian woman admits killing her American husband

BANGKOK: -- A 48-year-old British Columbia woman in northern Thailand has admitted shooting dead her American common-law husband after arguing over family affairs, police said Tuesday.

Margaret Crane of Victoria was arrested Sunday by police after allegedly killing George Patrick Dubie, 52, a freelance journalist, in the northern city of Chiang Mai.

Witnesses told police the couple met at a restaurant in downtown Chiang Mai, about 580 kilometres north of Bangkok, and were having a heated argument when the woman pulled out a pistol and fired three shots before fleeing in a car.

Police later apprehended her.

"She admitted that she did it because she was angry and under pressure," said police Lieut. Ben Wongkrua. He described Crane as a housewife.

Police, who earlier misidentified Dubie as a Canadian, also said Crane told them that Dubie had beaten her and had affairs with other women.

Ben said Crane was being held on a charge of premeditated murder, for which she could face the death penalty.

--canada.com 2006-07-05

Pure pulp fiction, this story writes itself, sad as it is it has Movie Of The Week written all over it, .. intrigue, love triangles, aliases, phantom corps, ... :o

Yep, I agree. Somone ought to contact Quentin Tarantino and see if he wants to do a Dubie now.

Or as the good bok says:

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a

man soweth, that shall he also reap."

Update:

Thai police say Canadian woman admits killing her American husband

BANGKOK: -- A 48-year-old British Columbia woman in northern Thailand has admitted shooting dead her American common-law husband after arguing over family affairs, police said Tuesday.

Margaret Crane of Victoria was arrested Sunday by police after allegedly killing George Patrick Dubie, 52, a freelance journalist, in the northern city of Chiang Mai.

Witnesses told police the couple met at a restaurant in downtown Chiang Mai, about 580 kilometres north of Bangkok, and were having a heated argument when the woman pulled out a pistol and fired three shots before fleeing in a car.

Police later apprehended her.

"She admitted that she did it because she was angry and under pressure," said police Lieut. Ben Wongkrua. He described Crane as a housewife.

Police, who earlier misidentified Dubie as a Canadian, also said Crane told them that Dubie had beaten her and had affairs with other women.

Ben said Crane was being held on a charge of premeditated murder, for which she could face the death penalty.

--canada.com 2006-07-05

It seems that regardless of Margaret Crane/Jeanna Hart's guilt or innocence, she and her family could do with some practical and moral support right now. Is there anyone in Chiang Mai who knows where she is being held or how her kids are getting on. I'd be happy to pitch in and seek to co-operate with any others who may already be doing so.

Sorry George,

I ****** that one up totally. Here we go again:

:o It seems that regardless of Margaret Crane/Jeanna Hart's guilt or innocence, she and her family could do with some practical and moral support right now. Is there anyone in Chiang Mai who knows where she is being held or how her kids are getting on. I'd be happy to pitch in and seek to co-operate with any others who may already be doing so.

Sorry George,

:o It seems that regardless of Margaret Crane/Jeanna Hart's guilt or innocence, she and her family could do with some practical and moral support right now. Is there anyone in Chiang Mai who knows where she is being held or how her kids are getting on. I'd be happy to pitch in and seek to co-operate with any others who may already be doing so.

This is a very sad case, and in all due respect if people do not know the cercumstances or the true facts then they should stop jumping to conclusions.

Jeanna needs all the support the western community can give her.

:D

Sorry George,

Fruitbatt, I know Jeanna would appriciate your kind words, thanks. And as soon as any prctical help is needed then I'm sure it will be posted.

Thanks again :D

Please stop with the hysterical woman comments. I know her I also know the small children that are now left in this mess. Still trying to sort the whole story out and most importantly find out where the children are. Her youngest is 3! Read the part about the reenactment she is saying he came after her. We don't know the story at this point. Have some sympathy people.

I agree, she's obviously been pushed to a place few of us have been.

I also met her a handful of times and while she seemed a bit gullible in a New Age sort of way there was nothing but a pleasant sort of woman there trying to keep her family going. Her teenage daughter was polite and sweet also.

She is in a terrible position. If anyone knows details about her present situation would they PM me as I'd like to offer to attend court or at least offer a letter of reference. If enough people did this it and the fact she has kids may just sway the judge into a more lenient leaning sentence.

I contacted the local Canadian consular official, and they were very guarded with information. Once I assured them that I wasn't looking for "gory details", but only wanted assurance that the children were being well cared for. They said yes they were being cared for, but I left my name and number all the same should they need any further assistance. The lady official would not comment as to whether or not Canadian family were on the way or here, and I suppose that's as it should be. I would have felt better knowing though.

The children are taken care of. Friends brought her a mat to sleep on yesterday. we are trying to get the info we need to try and get her the best help.

It's great to hear what y'all have been doing to help, and to hear how others also can empathise with the suffering and stress Jeanna & her children must be experiencing Please PM me if there's anything I can do

Wow! I feel for the children. Having said that:

Compare the picture of the shooter with the picture of the other ex-

The Herbalife lady in SunBelt's post. They look very much alike-no?

Where's the Herbalife lady now? I expect more twists as they were all

living in her house in Hawaii. Maybe shooter impersonated Herbalife?

Cause they all did a major "runner" in the course of events.

Wow! I feel for the children. Having said that:

Compare the picture of the shooter with the picture of the other ex-

The Herbalife lady in SunBelt's post. They look very much alike-no?

Where's the Herbalife lady now? I expect more twists as they were all

living in her house in Hawaii. Maybe shooter impersonated Herbalife?

Cause they all did a major "runner" in the course of events.

Tend to agree on that one but seems unlikely. :D

Geri wots her name is a multi millionaire part owner of what appears to be a very dodgy Pyramid type company ...worth possibly billions and she is unlikely to be hoofing it around LOS like a long lost hippy with 6 kids in tow...for whatever reason....but saying that.....?

As you suggests more twists than a ............and this will impact on a much wider scene......Herbal-life....Geri C business..the find Kristine organisation...the murdered prostitute....the child abduction case....Canadian Government...IRS....not forgeting the beardies with the crazy swami Berami religeous organisations....and on and on..........Dubie sure was some character :o

On the more serious side and reading accounts and if even a modicum of truth in any of them the women Jeanna ...(whats her real name) has been involved with what can only be considered a very weird setup-relationship ...???etc. and again from what has been said has had more than enough provocation to get rid of the "nutcase".....but......of course it aint that straighforward....you cant just do that...

The fact that it appears to have been his gun that was used and after somehow getting it off him he goaded her into shooting him could possibly be considered as mittagating evidence as self defense...but

So although feel for her you gotta be realistic and she could be banged up in a Thai gaol for a long ..long time.... :D

Most important thing for now is the welfare of the kids and if they are as reported underage then its up to the Canadian Government to get involved ...quickly........assuming they are Canadian..... :D .?

Last thing you want is for them to be arrested as illegal overstayers or something ...

Recon theres a lot more to come......

The children are taken care of. Friends brought her a mat to sleep on yesterday. we are trying to get the info we need to try and get her the best help.

BGGG...Best wishes ..you are doing a great job....

Update:

Victoria woman faces murder charge in Thailand

A Victoria woman is in jail in Chiang Mai, Thailand, accused of fatally shooting her American common-law husband, George Patrick Dubie, a cult-like figure who at one time lived in a lavish waterfront estate in Hawaii.

Margaret Crane, 48, was arrested by Thai police after she allegedly shot Dubie three times in the chest with a .38 revolver, then fled in a car. She was later apprehended by police.

She faces the death penalty if convicted of premeditated murder.

The Bangkok Post reported that Crane told police that Dubie, 56, was abusive and occasionally hit her and their five children. She said the situation had worsened after Dubie became involved with a local Thai woman.

The shooting reportedly took place after a heated argument at a restaurant in downtown Chiang Mai, about 580 kilometres north of Bangkok.

Dubie, who used the first name Daniel, was described as a freelance journalist who had also worked for the United Nations in the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami.

He had attracted controversy and police attention in the past. Dubie was at one time wanted in connection with a theft ring in Hawaii, where he lived on a $1.7-million waterfront mansion.

An associate of Dubie named Jon Onuma, also known as Jade Yoshino, previously lived at the home and was a person of interest in the mysterious disappearance of a North Carolina woman named Kristen Modafferi, who vanished in 1997 from San Francisco.

The case was featured on an episode of the TV program America's Most Wanted and is detailed on a website: www.findkristen.com.

"Daniel Dubie is a modern day Charles Manson and Jim Jones," the website says. "He literally goes around the world telling people he is Jesus and actually convinces them to give him millions of dollars."

Dennis Mahon, who runs the website to generate tips about the case and is a friend of the family of the missing woman, said Dubie was born in Santa Barbara and married millionaire Geri Cvitanovich, a co-founder of the Herbalife company, which sells health and weight-loss products.

For many years, Dubie lived at his wife's waterfront home outside Honolulu near Diamond Head. After Dubie and Cvitanovich divorced, he was rumoured to have been married to a number of women.

"He supposedly has 17 children," Mahon said. "He lived in B.C. for a while. I've known he was in Thailand for a couple of years. He ran a holistic spa in Chiang Mai."

Dubie and Onuma also made a film about a conference of world religious leaders meeting in Bangkok in 2002.

"I know Dubie has about 10 aliases," Mahon said. An article from a Honolulu newspaper, located on Mahon's website, said Dubie was also known Sean Dubie, David Hart, Keoki Dubie, Christian Hart and Frances LaRue.

The 1983 article was about a man who sued Dubie, claiming he was brainwashed, psychologically tortured and physically beaten with a tennis racquet by Dubie to prove he was a "warrior."

Mahon said he received an e-mail Tuesday from a man in Thailand who believes the woman who shot Dubie was named Gina Hart, which may have been an alias of Margaret Crane.

Pamela Greenwell, a spokesman with Foreign Affairs in Ottawa, said Tuesday that Canadian consular staff in Thailand have visited Crane in jail but further information could not be released because of the Privacy Act.

She could not comment on whether Crane had used the name Hart before she arrested in Chiang Mai.

--canada.com 2006-07-05

Got a feeling that a lot of people up there in Chiangers must have known this nutter and maybe been taken in by him

........keeping yer heads down...are yous.... :o ...C"Mon.....lads own up......

I contacted the local Canadian consular official, and they were very guarded with information. Once I assured them that I wasn't looking for "gory details", but only wanted assurance that the children were being well cared for. They said yes they were being cared for, but I left my name and number all the same should they need any further assistance. The lady official would not comment as to whether or not Canadian family were on the way or here, and I suppose that's as it should be. I would have felt better knowing though.

Great to know a kind soul who cares, keep it up mate! :o

hmmm he had aliases ... she had an alias <maybe and maybe> ... what an odd situation!

Very odd. Another case of a con-man hiding out in LOS ?

Searching around this morning reveiled some weird articles.

Daniel Dubie at one time claimed to be "The Messiah" and was the head of a small cult.

At one point, he married a Herba-Life distributor (Geri Cvitanovich). Herba-Life is a pyramid sales scheme much like Amway.

Geri Cvitanovich-Dubie is apparently alive and well, as she was scheduled to give Herba-Life lectures in the US (Georgia, New York and Michigan) on 10-11 May 2006.

Herba-Life International Chairman's Club Tour 2006

They lived in her multi-million dollar home in Hawaii for a period. During that time, Geri's health was supposedly failing, Dubie was still acting as "The Messiah" and was associating with unsavoury characters such as Jon Onuma (aka Jade Yoshino) who is a suspect in the disappearance of a woman in the US.

Daniel Dubie supposedly made a film (with Geri as the producer) called "Souls at Bay". Like others, the only reference I can find about the film is on an Indian Guru site:

Parmath Newsletter April-May 2003

I tried and tried to find a list of films from the Hawaiian International Film Festival (the only place this film has apparently ever been seen) with no luck (can only the films that won awards).

How ever, I have found references that Dubie worked for the U.N., but not from the UN or one of it's sites.

"The UN, represented by Daniel Dubie, presented the citation to hospital

director, Dr Lanang Budiartha, here on Tuesday." [Kabar-indonesia] Indo News - 12/03/02 [/color]

Another article:

"The Kuta Saturday night blast killed almost 200 people inspired US movie director Daniel Dubie to make a special film about the tragedy.

Daniel Dubie, a world class director who often involved in UN’s documentary films told the plan while giving the award to Sanglah Hospital (The Bali Center Hospital), representing the Peace of Children International United Nation, in Denpasar, Thursday (3/12)

"

Bali Blast Tragedy brought to Hollywood

(Supposedly this was going to be a film with Patrick Swayze as a surfer :o and Jennifer Love-Hewitt as a nurse. :D Both of them and the costs of producing a movie all for a reported $4 million US ? I doubt it. Oh yeah, nothing like this shows up on the filmographies of either Swayze or Love-Hewitt).

Dubie's Deceptions continued long after, as evidenced by this chat-board message from 2005:

"โดยคุณ air (203.172.51.80) [7 Apr 2005 10:51] หมายเลขคำตอบที่ 687

I have been accepted to work in a secretary position for a documentary film producer and director for UN,BBC, Hollywood, and National Geographic. His name is Daniel Dubie, which some of you might recognize his recent movie called Souls at Bay, the documentary film about the World Religious Leader Conference held in BKK few years ago.His recent movie {note the movie was 3 years old at this point} was shown in Hawaii Film Festival, one of the top five well-known film festivals. Mr. Dubie has been working with UN, the organisation i dream to join with. However, he is making a movie about Tsunami down in Phuket right now.The film has been created in order to help Thai people who are affected by the disaster. By the way, I will start working after the Thai New Year is over. Can't wait!!!!

May your dreams come true.

"Death ends a life,not a relationship,"-Tuesday with Morrie "

(Thai web board)

Sounds like he had someone sucked in. Wouldn't be his young Thai girlfriend by any chance ?

Not much of anything about Margaret Crane, or Gina Hart or Jeanna Hart, which isn't that unusual. Not everybody has a notable presence on the web.

Pretty screwed up from beginning to end. Many lives messed up, some more so than others. Bad part is, he is only one person. There are many more like him out there. I'm betting we'll be hearing more about this weird story in the future.

(canada.com 2006-07-05) She faces the death penalty if convicted of premeditated murder.

As I have understood this thread/story, the woman met with 'jesus' at a restaurant, an argument ensued and 'jesus' pulled out a gun, a struggle developed and the woman ended up with the gun and shot the man. Surely this may be murder, but premeditated? I think not, maybe really "manslaughter".

(canada.com 2006-07-05) She faces the death penalty if convicted of premeditated murder.

As I have understood this thread/story, the woman met with 'jesus' at a restaurant, an argument ensued and 'jesus' pulled out a gun, a struggle developed and the woman ended up with the gun and shot the man. Surely this may be murder, but premeditated? I think not, maybe really "manslaughter".

That was the gist of the account in the article from Thai Rath that I summarized earlier in this thread. However, so far for almost every 'fact' recounted in this case there have been other mutually exclusive facts presented. In fact, the very title of this thread is now obsolete as it appears he was neither Canadian nor a journalist.

At this point I would not attach too much attention to the account of the shooting. It is the kind of account you would expect any defendant to offer as it discounts any premeditation, etc. Seems very unlikely to me because Dubie was not a tiny fellow, while his ex-wife appears to have been somewhat frail. That she wrestled a gun from him and shot him just doesn't seem right. Another suspicious angle is the fact that she drove to a bridge afterwards and threw the gun in the river. That could be interpreted as an effort to hide evidence and a behaviour that works against the claim that it was a gun she had wrestled from Dubie.

Yes, pure speculation on my part and I am sure others will jump on me for it. Jump away! Hopefully the facts will be determined as best they can be in a court of law.

Edited by qualtrough

Thank You - Thank You - Thank You - #115

"According to witnesses, the couple met at a restaurant in downtown Chiang Mai and had a big argument when the woman pulled out a pistol and opened fire three times before fleeing in a car."

Have we forgot about this statementat? Group amnesia here ? :o and just accepted what appears to be the defendants statement to the men in brown?

"The ex-wife met with her husband at the Whole Earth restaurant to discuss family problems. He began insulting her and she left to get in her car. He followed her, slapped her 3-4 times, and then pulled a revolver on her. There was a struggle and she ending up shooting him 3 times. She then got in the car and threw the gun off a bridge on the Mae Ping river. She claims that he raped/molested their child/children."

I have been readin this thread over a couple days and am amazed at where it has went. I think we better just calm down

"One thing that puzzles me... It's alleged she claims he raped her daughters and that's why she and him seperated. She then followed him to CM with her kids!!! This doesn't make sense"

Ka JING - RIGHT and a lot more than that! Jesus bet he aint no saint, but he is also DEAD and just what his story is we are never going to know. By the way I met her a month and a half back in mid May and I would have said at that time that she was a -probably- a harmless woo woo person high strung and a little obsessive - how wrong I would have been eh ? Never met jesus but then a cult leader in LOS wouldn't cause me to bat an eye. What with the legions of ex SAS, US Navy Seals and retired Langly farm boys on every other bar stool across the magic kingdom, hey we got an army out there - if you believe them. I don't

I do not know what the facts are except that old dubie was ventilated three times at the Whole Earth Rest by his ex. the rest well who knows what happend - but might not jump the game and say it was justified MURDER.

hey just a thought - maybe I should start a cult in LOS seems like we have some credulous and gullible types who Blah Blah Blah............................................................................

Please excuse #115 I made an error in my post. It was Gualtrough at #116 who I wanted to thank for the post and judgement

I did NOT want to thank you for the credulous manslaughter conjecture ... gurgle ... gurgle ... sorry

My sister told me that Kim Pate of the Elizabeth Fry Society in Canada is a well-known solicitor and advocate on behalf of women in prison. I don't know whether she can help here, but perhaps she would have some influence with Thai authorities & work with Canadian consulate?? Just a thought, and congratulations to you and others who are working so hard to help Jeanna/Margaret.

Gotta scroll down a bit further on this one and somebody earlier has given whoever the "potential assistant" was.. a warning not to work with the "Nutter"...dated 26th March 2006...just over 3 months ago.. :o

An update on the 6th July (today) also sounds as though its from someone who knows him...sorry knew him... :D ...wheres it gonna go ..... :D ....

Mr. Dubie has been working with UN, the organisation i dream to join with. However, he is making a movie about Tsunami down in Phuket right now.The film has been created in order to help Thai people who are affected by the disaster. By the way, I will start working after the Thai New Year is over. Can't wait!!!!

May your dreams come true.

"Death ends a life,not a relationship,"-Tuesday with Morrie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

โดยคุณ http://www.findkristen.com/34.html (66.220.101.61) [26 Mar 2006 10:40] หมายเลขคำตอบที่ 5163

DO NOT WORK FOR DANIEL DUBIE. Do your research on this man. He is a long established con-man. http://www.findkristen.com/34.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

โดยคุณ LW (66.91.20.223) [6 Jul 2006 06:04] หมายเลขคำตอบที่ 5477

Daniel Dubie or George Dubie is no more a man of god than the devil! He has bilked many people out of millions of dollars and harmed them both physically and mentally. He was the ultimate con man

Here is my own translation of the Thai captions (any mistakes my own responsibility):

pic_8.jpg

The victim's Thai wife Mrs. Prachaya Phornmonpeng, hugging the dead body of her husband Daniel Ruby George Patrick, a successful American businessman and special correspondent for CNN who was shot dead by a hitman.

Thailand-Canadian-Killed-.jpg

An unidentified Thai woman (top) mourns over the dead body of a Canadian man, George Patrick Dubie, at a Chiang Mai hospital in Chiang Mai province, northern Thailand Monday. Dubie, 52, had been shot to death by his 48-year old Canadian girlfriend, Margaret Crane, during a heated argument, police said. Crane was detained shortly after the shooting. (AP photo)

Another picture of the Thai girlfriend (wife?):

[sNIP. That is a personally identifying picture of a grieving person. Too much.]

AFP/File - Mon Jul 3, 11:20 AM ET

American businessman George Dubie has been shot dead by his Canadian girlfriend at a restaurant in Thailand's northern tourist spot, Chiang Mai, police said. A mourner is pictured here next to Dubie's body.(AFP/File)