Out of the country for 1 month - 1000+ new regulations enforced ?! o_O

Hello,

I have been living in Thailand for 8 years. Everything was fine.

Now, I have been out of the country for 1 month - it seems that basically EVERYTHING has been changing!!? sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.pngcrying.gif.pagespeed.ce.ENG_hyc8Gu.gif

New laws and rules for foreigners are enforced every day (ok - some are old laws and enforced now, and some new laws. but it doesn't matter - in the end, all these changes impact on our life!). I don't know about you - but I am really confused with all this stuff and I have no idea how many different reports I have to do now when I come back sad.png During the past 8 years, I have NEVER seen something like this!! I planned to go back to Thailand as usual, but now I am SERIOUSLY considering packing my stuff, leaving Thailand and moving back to my home country.

So - the reason for this post:

Could anyone pleaseee summarize all important new changes for foreigners in Thailand??

(Please add if something is missing or correct me if I am wrong:)

1) Condo owners have to report to immigration in case foreigners are renting out their property. (How is this supposed work?? I bet the owner of my condo didn't get notified and has no idea about this! I will state my "present" address on my arrival card. So, what happens if I arrive and my condo owner has not done this report so far?? Btw: in case a foreigner is staying together with a Thai who signed the rental contract - do we have to report this as well? Isn't it enough to file the stupid 90 days report?!!!)

2) Foreigners have carry their PASSPORT (blink.png.pagespeed.ce.1yRKwuklr5.pnghuh.png.pagespeed.ce.Qq42w7kNaJ.png ) or certified copy (where to get this done??) ALL the time or they may get fined !?!? (!!!)

3) Foreigners have to report to immigration when heading to another province for more than 48 hours (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

4) Visa regulations ... regarding tourist visa:

I have been on tourist visa a few times before, but I have only used it as a "patch" between other visa's (e.g. a few years ED visa from university, Non-B visa with work permit etc. - and tourist visa's inbetween when changing university, changing employer etc.) ... So, how is this supposed to work from now on?

What happens for example if you lose your job and have to leave the country - will they issue a new tourist visa if you already had a few ones in your passport? You won't get issued two tourist visa's in a row, right? How much time do you need between the visas? Does anyone know??

All this stuff confuses me a lot sad.png

I don't know about you ... but I have a feeling that many expats are going to leave Thailand soon.

You forgot the new overstay rules.

I doubt this is all of it, every week something new. Already found that the Immigration Act requires you can prove being vaccinated against smallpox (which was eradicated in the same year the Act was passed, BTW) or be denied entry to Thailand. A knee jerk reaction from immigration bureaucrats fearing of losing their jobs if they don't prove their worth to the military and voila, show your vaccination card upon arrival or no go.

Thailand has a great many laws that have not been enforced or simply been dismissed by Thais. Enforce them all and what you've got is a repeat of what happened with the neighbors West and East. So you either squeeze up to Laos/China or down to Malaysia/Singapore.

1 Nothing to worry about unless you are the owner.

2. Nothing new about passports, I am not sure a copy will be enough if asked for it.

3. Don't worry about it.

4. Nothing new for tourist visas.

People are still getting back to back tourist visas. There have been reports of this.

The only tightening of the rules is for visa exempt entries that people often incorrectly call tourist visas.

@ubonjoe - did i read yesterday that they said a Thai drivers license would suffice?

That was for Hua Hin.

But it would depend upon who is asking for identification whether that would be enough or not.

@ubonjoe - did i read yesterday that they said a Thai drivers license would suffice?

That was for Hua Hin.

But it would depend upon who is asking for identification whether that would be enough or not.

Hua Hin has "clarified" this ... only the original passport is acceptable.

1. By law, all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times. There is no exception to this. Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000 THB fine. The reason behind this is that Immigration needs to keep track of overstayers and foreign criminals who may be staying illegally in the country.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747424-hua-hin-immigration-clarifies-rules-on-foreigners-carrying-id/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thaivisa24+%28Today%27s+best+Thaivisa+topics%29

Does anyone know who can certify a copy of your passport?

It's a moot point for immigration purposes as they're already insisting on original passportt: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747424-hua-hin-immigration-clarifies-rules-on-foreigners-carrying-id/

But if you need it for something else, the Embassy of your country in Thailand should be able to certify it, as it's a copy of an official document. To have a 100% legal certified copy in Thailand you'll then need to legalize it at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. There's the need for this because Thailand doesn't belong to the Hague Apostille Convention: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention

Edited by DrTuner