Getting Thai Dual Citizenship

Some history about my circumstance:

My mother was a Thai National and born in Thailand.  My father is American and served in US military.  My parents married in Thailand,  and she has lived here in the United States ever since then.  I was born in North Dakota in the 80s,  and I am now 34 years old. My parents are now divorced.

After reading information on the Thai Embassy website,  Thai Law,  and many post here on this website,  it looks like I can request a Thai Birth Certificate to be written up and also get a Thai Passport,  since I am 1/2 Thai Blood. 

Today,  I just sent my American Birth Certificate off to US Dept of State to the Office of Authentications,  because I see that is one of the requirements.  Other requirements are to have my fathers passport and Mothers Thai Passport sent in with my request along with her Thai National ID.  I will also send in Thai Marriage and American Divorce records also,  as well as all the required application forms,  and photos.

My father has never had a passport before,  since he was in Thailand during his deployment during the Vietnam war.  My mother has since became a US citizen and is now a US passport holder.  Her Thai Passport expired over 20 years ago.  We still have it.

My questions are:

1. Will she need to get a new Thai Passport in order for me to get this process completed or is a US passport sufficient?

2.  My father never had a passport issued to him before,  will that have any effect?  We will send in a copy of his State ID card is that sufficient?

3.  I also see they want a Thai National ID card from mother but she does not have one,  does she need to apply for one before I can get my Thai Birth Record?

4.  House registration is also required.  We have old house registration papers that are almost 40 years old,  is this sufficient?

5.  Since I was born in North Dakota,  Thai Embassy Chicago is the closest Consulate to North Dakota.  Will I have to use them or can I use the Thai Embassy in DC?

I have contacted different embassys and consulates so far,  I get voicemails and no useful answers,  so I thought I would try here.

Thank you for you help,  any other information is helpful

Edited by tampa3

A Thai national born and living outside Thailand does not need a Thai ID card to apply for a Thai passport at the consular section of the Thai embassy in the country where he resides.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

I think the consulate in Chicago can do a birth registration. Although their website does no have info about what is required their is this contact info on their directory. I suggest you contact them.

Birth/Death/Adoption Registration
Tel: (312) 664-3129 extension 109
Fax: (312) 219-8663
email: [email protected]

The passport for your father be needed since it is only for identification purposes. His driver license should be enough.

I would send your mother's expired Thai passport. Her ID should not be needed.

Send the old house registration.

.If you do it in person you could apply at the same time for a Thai passport.

• Like 1

Hi tampa3,

The way I see it is like this as I hav been ia a similar situation before.

1. Your parents name is in your birth certificate. U can get it translated into Thai from English language and get it attested from your local Thai embassy in your area. That takes care of your birth certificate.
2. To get ur moms Thai Id card made you would have to go your local amphir office in your province in Thailand. And incidentally ur moms Id number would be on her passport as all Thai passports have the persons Id number on it.

The whole process would have to be dealt with your local Thai embassy and they will be more than willing to help you in this issue. Just ask them and they will guide you accordingly. Since your mom is Thai and you want to abstain Thai nationality it will be very easy for you to obtain it.

Any other clarifications do not hesitate to ask.

Best of luck !!

Having done this with three kids, I believe your best place to deal with is Chicago. The Washington DC embassy will require proof of citizenship for your father since it goes no the Thai birth certificate-try a certified birth certificate for your father. The embassy, where we applied,  require each of my kids to be on a house registration, so I put them on my Yellow Tabien Baan (house registration for non-Thai.) The mother must make the application for the birth certificate so be sure she completes the forms and signs. They required that we submit a copy of the mother's ID card and passport(expired one worked.) Also, since some of my kids were older when we applied they had to complete a detailed investigation (background details) form in addition to all the other documents. The embassy would never respond to our emails but Chicago Consulate did and helped us understand the process. Good luck with the process and be patient. This is only our experience and others may report different experiences. 

Thanks for all of your help.  This is going to be a challenge for me,  but it must be done.  

My mother doesn't (read or write) any of her Thai Language so that makes it harder for me.  We will have to get her friends to help us with filling out some of the Thai forms.

I will call the Chicago Consulate again to see If I can get some of my questions answered.  I called yesterday and was forward to his voice mail and no response.  

You have given me much encouragement,  I guess that is what I needed.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Edited by tampa3